Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Browser privacy article + perplexing lack of knowledge

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 am

An article about switching from Chrome to Firefox because privacy, written by the "deputy editor of Fast Company's technology section".
No problem with the premise, but this semi-complaint about Chrome's privacy policy stood out:

The policy also states that Chrome allows third-party websites to access your IP address and any information that site has tracked using cookies

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Browser privacy article + perplexing lack of knowledge

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:50 am

There's a lot of stupid out there.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SonicSilicon
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:07 pm

I only skimmed the article, but found it odd that it never mentioned Chromium.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:44 pm

I didn't give it much time either, but I bet he's got a radio beacon locator device(i.e. cell phone) in his pocket just like everyone else and doesn't give that a second thought.

The browser wars are over. I don't mean to downplay privacy as a valid concern, but if that dude is looking for outrage he's about 15 years too late.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:38 pm

Redocbew wrote:
The browser wars are over. I don't mean to downplay privacy as a valid concern, but if that dude is looking for outrage he's about 15 years too late.

Re your too late commend, if Elizabeth Warren becomes the next president, good or bad aside, things could get interesting for companies like Google.

As a side note, if you use Firefox && care about this sort of thing, a perhaps more obscure step to take is to set browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.enabled to false. Germane quote below and link.
In addition, when you download an application file, Firefox will verify its signature. If it is signed, Firefox then compares the signature with a list of known safe publishers. For files that are not identified by the lists as “safe” (allowed) or as “malware” (blocked), Firefox asks Google’s Safe Browsing service if the software is safe by sending it some of the download’s metadata.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:00 pm

If you're more than a bit interested in online privacy, visit

https://www.privacytools.io/

Even if you can't be arsed to self-host stuff or use a VPN, they have a lot of good advice for Firefox extensions and about:config settings.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:45 pm

BTW, didn't post for the article, just that funny sentence.

Redocbew wrote:
I bet he's got a radio beacon locator device(i.e. cell phone) in his pocket just like everyone else and doesn't give that a second thought.

The article writer? She might be worried about her cellphone, but that's for a different article.
A problem there is that there aren't exactly viable alternatives, and even if you care, there's no transparency so it's difficult to know what to prefer or to avoid.

just brew it! wrote:

I think Fast Company is a pretty major publication. Their Alexa rank is not much lower than Ars Technica, and higher than AnandTech.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:37 am

meerkt wrote:
The article writer? She might be worried about her cellphone, but that's for a different article.
A problem there is that there aren't exactly viable alternatives, and even if you care, there's no transparency so it's difficult to know what to prefer or to avoid.

Maybe. Whatever the authors motivations might have been that article looks like it's mostly an emotional argument. Many people fixate on browsers for these things, because everyone uses a browser and knows what it is. They might not know how it works, but the browser is an easy target, so it often gets the blame.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:26 am

meerkt wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I think Fast Company is a pretty major publication. Their Alexa rank is not much lower than Ars Technica, and higher than AnandTech.

So being popular precludes the possibility of a site posting anything stupid?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
meerkt wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I expect many of us remember Slashdot's glory days and how even then they'd somewhat frequently post easily-disproven stories, with the excuse being "hey, we're just CmdrTaco's blog".

meerkt's point is probably more "they're big enough that posting something stupid is more likely to damage their brand", though.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Not so much a question of popularity but of being well-established. They're not a tech publication per se but they're far from being two-bit, and the writer is, apparently, not someone random. I'd be very surprised to find such a statement on AnandTech or ArsTechnica.