Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

What is the consensus here about medicinal mushrooms?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:14 pm

cure for cancer
No votes
enormous therapeutic potential
No votes
folk medicine so might do something to fight disease
No votes
as food, may help strengthen the immune system
1 (8%)
bull poop, mushrooms are not medicine
2 (15%)
magic mushrooms certainly have medical benefits
2 (15%)
hmm, fried mushrooms, super tasty
8 (62%)

Total votes: 13

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Medicinal mushrooms

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Medicinal mushrooms

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:19 pm

A nice duxelles of mushrooms with heavy cream and brandy is an important part of my Beef Wellington recipe.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:35 pm

get some of that Chianti to go with them fava beans and ...liver!

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:39 pm

I see no reason why we should consider mushrooms a natural reservoir for drugs and treatments that's better than any other. Maitake mushrooms are often touted as a folk remedy which can cure anything, but there's no research proving that and no treatments available based on it. Sure there might be something useful there, but we won't know until there's careful research and studies done to figure all that out.

Put them on a pizza though, and I'm all for it. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Shiitake mushrooms definitely make me feel good, because I enjoy eating them so much. Too many and they make my pee smell funny though. Not as bad as asparagus, but noticeable.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:58 pm

On a more serious note, given the number of diverse, biologically active compounds found in various mushroom species, I'm sure there are some that contain potentially useful drugs or drug precursors. But this is not something you want to experiment with, as there are many types of mushroom which are deadly toxic, even in very small doses.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Shiitake mushrooms definitely make me feel good, because I enjoy eating them so much. Too many and they make my pee smell funny though. Not as bad as asparagus, but noticeable.

I had idea that Shiitake could this to a person's urine who eat a lot of them. :oops:

Of course I never ate Shiitakes before or for matter even seen them. The mushrooms I have eaten are the standard brown and white ones that are most commonly sold in stores. At least in the US...

Redocbew

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:09 pm

Yeah, you don't want to mess around with mushrooms, and it's often very difficult even for an expert in the field to determine if a wild mushroom is fine or will seriously mess you up.

There is research being done with "magic" mushrooms, but as far as I know that's more in the field of neurology than it is about creating drugs or treatments.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:12 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I had idea that Shiitake could this to a person's urine who eat a lot of them. :oops:

Of course I never ate Shiitakes before or for matter even seen them. The mushrooms I have eaten are the standard brown and white ones that are most commonly sold in stores. At least in the US...

Yeah, typical bland Americanized version of mushrooms. :lol:

The white are just albino versions of the brown; and the brown are just immature portobellos. So all three of the most popular type of mushroom in the US are actually the same species.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, you don't want to mess around with mushrooms, and it's often very difficult even for an expert in the field to determine if a wild mushroom is fine or will seriously mess you up.

There is research being done with "magic" mushrooms, but as far as I know that's more in the field of neurology than it is about creating drugs or treatments.

Certainly conceivable that we could get drugs to treat neurological disorders out of that.

Redocbew

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Yeah, for sure. I'm just not sure from what I've read if people are that far along with it yet.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah, typical bland Americanized version of mushrooms. :lol:

The white are just albino versions of the brown; and the brown are just immature portobellos. So all three of the most popular type of mushroom in the US are actually the same species.

What is the third most popular type in US?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Yeah, for sure. I'm just not sure from what I've read if people are that far along with it yet.

Just like Marijuana Researcher, who require a very rare permit from the DEA to do such activities, many mushrooms that have psychedelic properties are illegal to grow and have in US. Which again need a hard to obtain permit from the DEA.

Strangely enough, it isn't illegal to have their spores at all, or even have them growing wild on your property...

Igor_Kavinski

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Mushrooms are high in a sugar called Ribose. Normally, this gives you extra energy as it increases ATP in the body and results in lowering blood glucose. However, if you are diabetic with high blood sugar, your blood is actually flooded with Ribose. Eating like 200 or 100 grams of mushrooms will lead to really bad consequences in such a scenario, as the unmetabolized Ribose actively participates in glycation reactions and damages internal organs. Found this out the hard way. Took me 2 years to recover and bring normalcy back to my health.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Mushrooms are high in a sugar called Ribose. Normally, this gives you extra energy as it increases ATP in the body and results in lowering blood glucose. However, if you are diabetic with high blood sugar, your blood is actually flooded with Ribose. Eating like 200 or 100 grams of mushrooms will lead to really bad consequences in such a scenario, as the unmetabolized Ribose actively participates in glycation reactions and damages internal organs. Found this out the hard way. Took me 2 years to recover and bring normalcy back to my health.

So how many mushrooms are there in 100 and 200 grams? The smaller "buttons".

Redocbew

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:01 pm

Dude, don't worry about it. Ribose is one of the basic building blocks of RNA(and DNA, it's literally the "ribo" in deoxyribonucleic acid). It's one of the most common things you'll find within a living organism. If there was something miraculous about it we'd know. Igor is just being a troll, or a jackass, or an idiot, or all over the above. I hate to be just another person on the Internet who's shouting down someone else, but there's really nothing worth listening to there.

Igor_Kavinski

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Igor is just being a troll, or a jackass, or an idiot, or all over the above. I hate to be just another person on the Internet who's shouting down someone else, but there's really nothing worth listening to there.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0024623

These data demonstrate that D-ribose but not D-glucose reacts rapidly with proteins and produces significant amounts of AGEs in both cultured cells and the mouse brain, leading to accumulation of AGEs which may impair mouse spatial cognition.

Igor_Kavinski

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Dude, don't worry about it.

Nothing to worry about only if you are not diabetic. Please don't tell diabetics to binge eat mushrooms. You don't want to be responsible for any internal damage they might sustain.

http://www.pibb.ac.cn/pibbcn/ch/reader/ ... 341&flag=1

D-ribose rapidly glycates proteins, such as BSA, neuronal Tau and α-synuclein, producing advanced glycation end products (AGEs) with severe cytotoxicity, leading to dysfunction and cell death, in vitro and in vivo. Intraperitoneal injection of D-ribose into mice significantly increases their glycated serum protein and blood AGEs though the concentration of D-glucose became slightly decreased, suggesting that D-ribose is much easier to produce AGEs than D-glucose in vivo.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 am

whm1974 wrote:
What is the third most popular type in US?

--> https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic ... 1&t=122813

Poking
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:48 pm

The fact that there is no scientific research in this area. But to deny the fact that mushrooms do benefit our bodies is also stupid.