Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Chinese astrology - Let's try this one more time...

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
What in there is untrue? He is a great leader, no doubting it. A leader leads. Leads to where doesn't necessarily mean it could be a good place. He is LEADING, isn't he? He moves around A LOT. The people who voted for him LOVE his company. Don't you love the tall tales he fabricates out of his ass? And look, as a president, he is bringing people together from all walks of life in his day to day job. His addiction? I'm not privy to that.

You're just ignoring all the parts that don't fit. What about "He communicates with everyone and helps make them work together in harmony."?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Hey Igor, how about this one:

day number = 2
Chinese zodiac = Ox
Western zodiac = Aries

2 means he is business minded. Sometimes, he can predict the future with a scary amount of accuracy.

Ox: Works really hard. Generally has good health. Has a boyish smile. Don't get him angry.

Aries: Hard headed stubborn son of a gun. Alpha male. Doesn't have issues with ladies. Really confident. Might seem tad stupid due to that same confidence level. Don't get him angry.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
What in there is untrue? He is a great leader, no doubting it. A leader leads. Leads to where doesn't necessarily mean it could be a good place. He is LEADING, isn't he? He moves around A LOT. The people who voted for him LOVE his company. Don't you love the tall tales he fabricates out of his ass? And look, as a president, he is bringing people together from all walks of life in his day to day job. His addiction? I'm not privy to that.

You're just ignoring all the parts that don't fit. What about "He communicates with everyone and helps make them work together in harmony."?

You would have to ask the people who are around him for that. How would I know? That's why I said give me the DOB of someone YOU know.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 pm

OK, not bad. Adolf Hitler. Though if he could predict the future he wouldn't have started WWII...

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:27 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

You would have to ask the people who are around him for that. How would I know? That's why I said give me the DOB of someone YOU know.

It is quite obvious to anyone who reads the news that he is the exact polar opposite of that. That's why we've chosen public figures - you don't need to know them personally to have a pretty good idea about their personality.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:
OK, not bad. Adolf Hitler. Though if he could predict the future he wouldn't have started WWII...

Wow. That's just great. Asking me to describe famous personalities. I did say "sometimes" about the prediction thing. Maybe their crystal ball isn't always clear...

Then again, he did kill millions. Maybe it was worth starting the war for him.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It is quite obvious to anyone who reads the news that he is the exact polar opposite of that. That's why we've chosen public figures - you don't need to know them personally to have a pretty good idea about their personality.

How do you know that the people he has chosen to work around him are not working in harmony?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:33 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

How do you know that the people he has chosen to work around him are not working in harmony?

There's been an endless parade of people leaving (or getting kicked out of) his administration who have described it as dysfunctional.

And you said EVERYONE. The small circle of friends/family he actually gets along with isn't anywhere near close to "everyone".

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

There's been an endless parade of people leaving (or getting kicked out of) his administration who have described it as dysfunctional.

And you said EVERYONE. The small circle of friends/family he actually gets along with isn't anywhere near close to "everyone".

Well, that's the theory at least. If I were 100% accurate, do you think I would be on a forum? I would be doing some good for the world. I'm just an amateur and I know enough to know that there is at least some truth to astrology.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:40 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

He's a number 5 (14=1+4=5). He's a bridge between people. He communicates with everyone and helps make them work together in harmony. He has an addiction problem but that addiction could be anything like food, sex, drugs, even work.

He's a Gemini. Great storyteller. Weaves fascinating tall tales but if he is a conscientious person, then he will recall real events with a dramatic touch for everyone's listening amusement.

He's a Fire Dog. Great leader. Always on the move. People love his company.

I don't really know anyone in real life who was born in 1946 so that's all I can tell you.

Ha Ha... :lol: :roll: Man you way far off... I merely gave you Trumps DOB. And you did made the claim using Astrology you could describe anyone's personality using only their DOB.

Sir you just contradict yourself.

EDIT: fixed typo.

He has to be the least capable person who become POTUS. He lies his ass off, tells everyone how great both Putin and Kim(North Korea) are. Blabs his mouth off about American Security matters to the point that his advisors are required to avoid providing him such vital information to prevent Trump from telling everyone.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:41 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Well, that's the theory at least. If I were 100% accurate, do you think I would be on a forum? I would be doing some good for the world. I'm just an amateur and I know enough to know that there is at least some truth to astrology.

That has nothing to do with being on a Forum.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:

If you had just told me his date of birth, I could have told you more. Like April 20 is almost encroaching upon Taurus territory. He had Taurean qualities too which made him impatient. He loved good food and romantic dinners. And he was almost impossible to reason with, like our whm1974.

EDIT: fixed typo.
Last edited by Igor_Kavinski on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:52 pm

whm1974 wrote:
That has nothing to do with being on a Forum.

A Master Astrologer would not be on a forum begging people to believe him.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:54 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

If you had just told me his date of birth, I could have told you more. Like April 20 is almost crouching into Taurus territory. He had Taurean qualities too which made him impatient. He loved good food and romantic dinners. And he was almost impossible to reason with, like our whm1974.

If I had told you the date of birth you could've figured out who it was with a few Google searches.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:05 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

If you had just told me his date of birth, I could have told you more. Like April 20 is almost crouching into Taurus territory. He had Taurean qualities too which made him impatient. He loved good food and romantic dinners. And he was almost impossible to reason with, like our whm1974.

I am impossible to reason with? Dude you have not provided any evidence at all that show either Eastern and Western astrology to be true. Arguments are not the thing same as evidence.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rolltodis ... -evidence/

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:42 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Sorry, man. You just need to think outside of your preconceptions.

I'm sorry, my preconceptions include evidence to back up assertions. The scientific method.

Astrology has no evidence and no backing in the scientific method. You have none. I don't understand how that's hard to understand.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 am

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Sorry, man. You just need to think outside of your preconceptions.

I'm sorry, my preconceptions include evidence to back up assertions. The scientific method.

Astrology has no evidence and no backing in the scientific method. You have none. I don't understand how that's hard to understand.

Just give me a damn date of birth and see for yourself. Any date of birth. Even some famous personality's. But then don't expect it to be very accurate since you wouldn't know that person as well as someone close to him/her.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 am

whm1974 wrote:
I am impossible to reason with? Dude you have not provided any evidence at all that show either Eastern and Western astrology to be true. Arguments are not the thing same as evidence.

I'm not a scientist and you are not a scientist either. If you were in my shoes, how would you go about proving/disproving this?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:09 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I'm not a scientist and you are not a scientist either. If you were in my shoes, how would you go about proving/disproving this?

I gave you someone's DOB didn't I? And you haven't gotten that right.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:00 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Astrology is non-falsifiable. Do you even Science, bro?
I hate when I go out in public, and the public is there.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:26 am

whm1974 wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I gave you someone's DOB didn't I? And you haven't gotten that right.

Mr. Wiseguy. That's not the answer to my question.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 am

Vrock wrote:
Astrology is non-falsifiable. Do you even Science, bro?

Thanks for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology ... ifiability

Popper regarded astrology as "pseudo-empirical" in that "it appeals to observation and experiment", but "nevertheless does not come up to scientific standards"

As such, to Kuhn, even if the stars could influence the path of humans through life astrology is not scientific.

That does not sound like outright falsification of astrology. Either scientific standards need to be revised to accommodate astrology or we are just not at a point scientifically to understand the complex nature of interactions between a multitude of celestial factors that could have an impact on a human being's life.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:36 am

No. Just no. No, no, and no. Also, no. Then again, no.

What do you think "not scientific", "pseudo-science" and "pseudo-emprical" mean?

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 am

Vrock wrote:

What do you think "not scientific", "pseudo-science" and "pseudo-emprical" mean?

It means it is beyond science. Not beyond the realm of possibility.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:42 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Vrock wrote:

It means it is beyond science.
We have a winner. You asked whm to prove or disprove. I responded that he can't, because astrology is non-falsifiable. Do you get it now?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 am

Vrock wrote:
We have a winner. You asked whm to prove or disprove. I responded that he can't, because astrology is non-falsifiable. Do you get it now?

Hah. No, he doesn't "get it". As far as he's concerned, it's like you are speaking a foreign language.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:50 am

Man, let it not be said that I don't occasionally try. :lol:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:54 am

Lucian wrote about it nearly two thousand years ago, I can't do greek and I can't find a english translation at a moment:

On Astrology, in french wrote:
L'astrologie, il est vrai, ne peut rendre bon ce qui est mauvais, elle ne change rien au cours des événements, mais elle rend service à ceux qui la cultivent, en leur annonçant le bonheur à venir. Elle leur procure une joie anticipée, en même temps qu'elle les rend plus forts contre le mal. L'infortune, en effet, ne les surprendra pas sans qu'ils s'y attendent : la prévision, l'exercice, la rend plus facile et plus légère. Telle est ma façon de penser sur l'astrologie.

"Astrology, it is true, cannot make good that which is bad, it cannot change anything in the course of events. But it can help those who practice it, proclaiming to them that good times are coming. It can provide them with a predictable joy, at the same time strengthening them against the bad. Misfortune, in effect, won't surprise those who wait for it. Premonition, and the exercise of it, makes it easier and lighter. Such is my way of thinking on Astrology. "

EDIT: here we go: http://lucianofsamosata.info/downloads/ ... n_vol5.pdf

Page 369. (my quote is the conclusion of the work).

This isn't just modern science, and even in the case of the stoics who were "educated" but usually insisted upon it, it was more a philosophical contrivance to establish that one must accept the inevitable with dignity. (YINZ CANNOT STOP THE STARS, THEY'RE HUGE AND THAT) It wasn't really about divination and the like, so the belief that the stars affected human events wasn't really a practicable concept, just a philosophical construct to make humans feel small.

Indeed, alteration upon information, well, that would be defeating the point, taking the Contra-position a la "Terminator 2" --- "THERE'S NO FATE BUT WHAT WE MAKE"

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

My job title is literally "scientist".

If I were in your shoes I'd spend a few minutes reading about how astrology isn't science and be done with it.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:13 am

Glorious wrote:
so the belief that the stars affected human events wasn't really a practicable concept, just a philosophical construct to make humans feel small.

Lucian was a wise man and I agree with what he said. Astrology is just information, nothing more. It won't help you change the course of your life. It's for the inquisitive. You can live blissfully without knowing anything about it. And humans ARE small. I don't do astrological predictions. I don't want to know in advance that something bad is going to happen. That would just ruin the fun of living. I think the biggest fallacy humans have is that they created knowledge. What if it was simply given to us? What if all the intellectuals were and are just a gift from God, to better our condition? And instead of being grateful to Him, most of us use that very gifted knowledge to deny His existence. I sure hope you understand the predicament of trying to science your way out of explaining on the Day of Judgement why you saw fit to deny God's existence and your duties of worship and gratitude towards Him despite having lived a fulfilling life.