Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: Igor Kavinski

Sat May 09, 2020 12:55 am

I seem to have an innate talent for programming and accounting (why this boring subject, of all subjects, I don't know!). I have gone into doing stuff that I had no idea how to do but things came together one way or the other and I ended up creating some pretty nifty stuff (well, it was nifty for an amateur). One thing I never got the hang of is AJAX. Maybe one reason is coz I prefer to do web programming through C and CGI and there doesn't seem to be an AJAX code sample for that particular combination. At least, I haven't been able to find it. I guess I will need to force myself to understand WebAssembly some day so I can avoid having to dive into the crazy world of JS frameworks. For now, my inability to comprehend AJAX remains a regret, one that might haunt me and sadden me on my deathbed.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2020 1:02 am

Anyone have fond memories of Turbo C++ 3.0, particularly its graphics library?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 09, 2020 5:42 am

To paraphrase Mr. Spock, it sounds like you were trying to build a web backend with stone knives and bear skins; only masochists need apply. Using something like Python (or even C++) would be a big step up from C.

Never used Turbo C++. IIRC the last Borland Turbo product I used was the Pascal (don't remember which version).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2020 6:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
To paraphrase Mr. Spock, it sounds like you were trying to build a web backend with stone knives and bear skins; only masochists need apply. Using something like Python (or even C++) would be a big step up from C.

C++ is fine too but then I would still need to use CGI and using AJAX with that remains a mystery to me.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 12:51 am

I had tons of chrome tabs open in a VM as usual. Suddenly, Chrome froze completely. I guess it ran out of memory. Most of the tabs were in incognito mode so that was a lot of work that would be lost. Now I was in a pickle. How do I unfreeze Chrome? I knew I was gonna lose everything anyway so on a hunch, started ending chrome processes in ascending order of their memory consumption. After closing about 50 or 60 chrome processes, voila! Chrome was accessible again and what's more, incognito mode tabs were intact! I guess I lucked out in this instance.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 10, 2020 4:58 am

Lucky! Last time I tried to do something like that to recover from browser misbehavior it made things worse. The CPU usage pegged at 100%, the laptop started getting hot, and the battery was draining rapidly. I killed Chrome entirely and things returned to normal.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Kind of a fun fact: Lots of South East Asians don't absolutely need toilet paper. They use their left hand and then use fragrant soap to cover the smell. That's also why you won't see many of them eating with their left hand.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 10, 2020 2:20 pm

...and of course the thread eventually circles around to poop. You've got issues, dude.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 2:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
...and of course the thread eventually circles around to poop. You've got issues, dude.

Poop is life, man. Imagine a person who stops pooping. He's gonna be dead in a few days.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun May 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Kind of a fun fact: Lots of South East Asians don't absolutely need toilet paper. They use their left hand and then use fragrant soap to cover the smell. That's also why you won't see many of them eating with their left hand.
Barbarians do as they do.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Vrock wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

That's racist, you know. There are civilized people among them, as there are among all races. You can't call them ALL barbarians. And humans did use leaves before the invention of toilet paper. There's also the issue of Asians being able to AFFORD toilet paper due to their meager incomes.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun May 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

That's racist, you know.
No, it isn't.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 16, 2020 12:05 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
You completely missed Igor. He was here and now he's banned.

What happened with Igor?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 pm

He finally went too far in his Middle Eastern views on women. We let him go on longer than we should have, but my "loyalty" to Renee & crowd is below measurable limits.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun May 17, 2020 12:25 pm

meerkt wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
You completely missed Igor. He was here and now he's banned.

What happened with Igor?

He got banned. Can't you read? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am

Looks like his kindred spirit is in hot water too.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Hopefully a temporary ban? He was spending quite some time here. It's never nice to lose an internet home.