Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Igor Kavinski

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:
We can't just pretend the error never happened.

Some days I really wish we could...but I don't know if my conscience could live with doing that.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm

It is still better to be able to run Windows rather than some bare boot environment. Both you and JBI don't understand the misery of someone on a low budget whose everything is on his hdd and suddenly their world goes dark and they are able to do nothing. Hddregen saves them. You won't understand that because you have the luxury of making sure you don't get into that situation through multiple backup copies. Not everyone can afford to do that.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
And where I work we do have custom tools that scan failing drives and attempt to force reallocations of bad sectors. This was developed in the wake of one of the waves of drive failures. But the tool also flags the files which contain the bad sectors, because the contents of those files are likely no longer correct. We can't just pretend the error never happened.

Shouldn't you be using some data scrubbing file system like ReFS?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:38 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
You won't understand that because you have the luxury of making sure you don't get into that situation through multiple backup copies. Not everyone can afford to do that.

You're acting like we've never had to deal with this exact situation outside of work...or the aftermath once someone thinks their dying drive is now okay because of awesome software like this.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
You won't understand that because you have the luxury of making sure you don't get into that situation through multiple backup copies. Not everyone can afford to do that.

You're acting like we've never had to deal with this exact situation outside of work...

Did you lose data? If you had used Hddregen then, you would be a believer too.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Both you and JBI don't understand the misery of someone on a low budget whose everything is on his hdd and suddenly their world goes dark and they are able to do nothing. Hddregen saves them.

I ran that by the editor. She says it has promise but you really need to work in something about vampires if we're going commercial with it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:00 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

No, because I have off-line backup like any other intelligent human.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Nope, at least not data I cared about or didn't have backups of. Family members? Absolutely, because they were believers in this crap and they ran the drive till it died entirely. It would have involved minimal data loss if they had done nothing other than scream "something is wrong" at me.

The ones I managed to get to at the first sign of trouble we backed up everything on the drive, restored it to a new drive, and had them back in business along with the knowledge needed to keep important things in at least 2 places.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
And where I work we do have custom tools that scan failing drives and attempt to force reallocations of bad sectors. This was developed in the wake of one of the waves of drive failures. But the tool also flags the files which contain the bad sectors, because the contents of those files are likely no longer correct. We can't just pretend the error never happened.

Shouldn't you be using some data scrubbing file system like ReFS?

It's actually all erasure coded. But when you're in disaster recovery mode trying to stay ahead of unexpectedly frequent drive failures, you don't want to wait for the next scrub pass to come around; you want to identify the trouble spots proactively and fix them ASAP (by regenerating the missing bits or restoring from another source).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 pm

75GXP??

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:14 pm

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
75GXP??

That pre-dates my involvement in the storage industry. I did own one, but I accidentally killed it (by dropping it) before it had a chance to commit suicide. :cry:

"Lemon" HDD models still happen, but don't tend to get the same level of publicity since they're less common in the consumer space. As a result you don't see high-profile class-action lawsuits like the one against Seagate from several years back. Backblaze's blog is interesting, they publicly publish HDD failure statistics for their entire drive pool, broken out by drive model.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:17 pm

WTF is going on here. This isn't a tech forum anymore.
I hate when I go out in public, and the public is there.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:19 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Some days I really wish we could...but I don't know if my conscience could live with doing that.

I mean, we're all here, arguing with Igor right now, aren't we?

heh.

EDIT: (the context being, we can't just ignore data errors, right?) :P
Last edited by Glorious on Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Vrock wrote:
WTF is going on here. This isn't a tech forum anymore.

If you feed your HDD rice + sugar, it will stop losing your data and starting gaining data you didn't even know you had!

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Glorious wrote:
If you feed your HDD rice + sugar, it will stop losing your data and starting gaining data you didn't even know you had!

Mmm...random bits. The best kind of bits. YUGE bits.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:01 pm

I bet Igor is bought into those body cleanse treatments. What say you, Igor? What's the best way for me to detoxify my body?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Detox your body AND your HDD, in one easy step!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Detox your body AND your HDD, in one easy step!

Wow. You know, it says here that by the time the average American is fifty, he's got five pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels.

Redocbew

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:47 pm

I was wondering what that feeling was...
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Vrock wrote:
Wow. You know, it says here that by the time the average American is fifty, he's got five pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels.

Not after a colonoscopy prep. Don't recall passing any chunks of raw meat.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Not after a colonoscopy prep. Don't recall passing any chunks of raw meat.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086960/ch ... /nm0039226

blastdoor
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Ladies and gentlemen can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop posting to this ridiculous thread and instead go to the Ron Burgundy thread. Cannonball!
1. iMac 27" (2020) i7 10700k; AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB; 64 GB RAM; 500 GB internal SSD + external box of SSDs
2. ThreadRipper 2990wx; Ubuntu; Headless; 64GB RAM
3. MacBook Pro (2017); Core i7-7820HQ; 16 GB RAM

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:49 pm

No, Gumball!!

(It had better cars).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:23 pm

True dat.
· R5-3600X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro +2TB MX500 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Focus PX-850, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder Chroma

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:24 pm

Why I Like Igor Kavinski...

Igor Kavinski didn't take no **** from no one. A man spit in his salad and Igor kicked his ass. He wasn't going to take that ****. That's why I like Igor Kavinski.

My aunt never let me eat "Lego My Ego," waffles. No Mrs. Butterworth's - nothin' like that. Sometimes I wished Igor Kavinski would kick her ass in the same way he did that man. He'd say something like, "Four score and seven years ago. . . and right now I gonna kick this woman's butt to Mrs. Butterworth heaven!!!!!!!" Then he'd punch her.

Igor Kavinski wore a hat. He was tall. And when he wasn't digging around in his pockets for change, which he almost always was for some unknown reason, you could see that he had very large hands. He kicked people's asses with those hands. They were fists O' steel.

Some people learned. They went to school and they learned about conjunctions and the Dewy Decimal System and the four food groups. Bread is not in the Dairy group. It is a grain. You need to eat bread AND milk to be a healthy man. Igor knew that but he wasn't concerned with all that. He kicked people's asses. Igor would meet you across the street at the gas station after school and he would kick your ass.

One time I saw this woman on a bus selling raffle tickets for a quilt. She smelled like mothballs and her hair was up in a bun, and she had many wadded up pieces of tissue overflowing from her purse. Igor Kavinski preferred Kleenex brand tissue. He had a box of Kleenex with antique cars printed on the box and another with nautical instruments. The box looked like a map.

One day a man asked for "tissue." Igor looked deep in thought as he often did before many of his speeches, and then he royally kicked that man's ass. "I proclaim! You is a free man, but I call it Kleenex you dumb ****!" he said as he walked away.

I feel like I know Igor Kavinski. His boots walked a million miles. He should have worn Keds or hiking boots. They say a man who walks a million miles is one smart ****. And Igor Kavinski was one smart **** too. He could tell you about the Israelites. He could tell you that earthworms come up to the surface of the earth when it rains because they can't be breathin' underground with all of the water. But you couldn't ask him about trains or he would kick your ass. That was the one subject he would not talk about. No one knows why.

They say that they put loose change on Igor's eyes when he died. Yes, he died. Some other guy named "Boot" royally kicked Igor's ass with a gun. Think of that: one day you're standing there with your nautical-style Kleenex box, waiting at the gas station to kick someone's ass and someone comes up and BLAM and ten minutes later you're dead and people take the change from your pockets and put it all in your eyes.

It's a good thing Igor was dead and could not raise from the grave like Jesus did. Jesus moved the stone to his tomb, rose from the grave and went out to supper. He was hungry. But if Igor rose from the grave, he wouldn't have had time for Suppers, Disciples, moving stones or anything.

"Four score and seven years ago," Igor would say, "I ain't no damn change sorter and I got no time for trains!!" Then Igor would royally kick everyone's ass.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Joe Biden, is that you?

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Vrock wrote:
I bet Igor is bought into those body cleanse treatments. What say you, Igor? What's the best way for me to detoxify my body?

Drink avocado (only avocado blended into a thick paste) mixed with gum arabic four days straight two or three times a day. You can drink water as much as you want. This should get your body to lose a lot of senescent cells and regenerate new ones.

If it's a liver detox you are after, drink one lemon squeezed into warm water first thing in the morning.

Grapefruit juice and watermelon juice only fast would also do the trick. I did that for 5 or 6 days straight when I was faced with a life threatening condition. I'm here now, so it worked by the Grace of God.

EDIT: If you would rather not do fasts, avocado mixed with strawberries and three teaspoons of gum arabic with normal meals is a great way to rejuvenate your body. Strawberries and (to a lesser extent) cucumbers contain Fisetin which has been shown to block the mTor pathway. Fisetin is fat soluble so best to eat strawberries with meals or in a milk shake.

In fact, it breaks my heart to see strawberries going to waste at my local supermarket. They price them out of the common man's reach and then they just sit there rotting.
Last edited by Igor_Kavinski on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:26 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Why I Like Igor Kavinski...

That reads like it is AI generated. Or you were really bored :D

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Words

Sorry, the correct answer you were looking for was: be alive and have a liver, kidneys, lungs, and skin.

:P