Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Kravengl
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mini fridge question

Sat May 09, 2020 2:39 am

Hi all,
What is your opinion regarding the best low watt mini/compact fridge out there? My budget won't allow for anything more than about $500, so perhaps maybe not the top of the line models.

If a low watt fridge is not possible without having to spend upwards of $700 or more, does anyone have opinions regarding Koolatron-type coolers? Aside from that, my only other option would be getting something like a Coleman Extreme cooler and then deal with having to regularly restock with ice.

I'm getting closer to making the decision to switch to this fun and exciting lifestyle, but I want to make sure I've researched it as much as possible before jumping in. Thanks for your advices.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Mini fridge question

Sat May 09, 2020 7:13 am

I'd be really surprised if a mini fridge was more than a couple hundred bucks.

Because of the size there really isn't much can do for efficiency so I wouldn't worry too much about power usage.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 11, 2020 11:43 am

Fridges aren't rocket science -- don't over-analyze it.

I doubt there's much of a difference between different models, other than features. It requires a minimal amount of energy to keep things cold, no matter who makes it, and you can't usurp the laws of physics. Most appliances these days have to adhere to relatively stringent energy requirements, so you're going to get pretty reasonable performance no matter the model.

Just go to Consumer Reports and find the one that fits your needs the best. Or if there's too little difference to matter (which is probably the case with a mini fridge), just get the one you like best at the best price.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am

Is this for an indoor application, or an RV? If the latter, are you looking for a 12V solution?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Iron rule of fridges/freezers. The more stuff you cram in them, the less energy you use. 90% of what you shove in there is water, and nothing else has the specific heat capacity of water.

The low-functioning types at deer camp wonder why Dad & I fill gallon milk jugs with water and put them in the boxen when we leave. Every year I try to explain specific heat and thermal mass; it never sinks in. They just wonder why the power bill is so high with empty boxen.

Camp stays "open" year-round, so the main fridge is always on. It's my bug-out place. I've got keys.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 pm

This is why my beer fridge is always full. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 12, 2020 12:42 am

Filling the beer fridge increases efficiency, and drinking the beer allows you to fill it up repeatedly. Definitely a virtuous cycle.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.