Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SashleyCat
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Hi. I'm SashleyCat. I think I have been here before.

Sun May 24, 2020 1:24 am

Hello.

My name is Ashley. But online I am known as SashleyCat.

I have been active on this forum before, but I completely forgot all the details. I am super lonely and depressed and want to try joining a community again. I desperately want to talk about Processors and Technology because my Autism demands it. Am I OK to be here?

Or am I doomed to be forever alone?

Thankmeow.
I like Ryzen.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Hi. I'm SashleyCat. I think I have been here before.

Sun May 24, 2020 6:03 am

This place undoubtedly has... changed since you were last here. But feel free to pull up a virtual chair and hang out if you want.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SashleyCat
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon May 25, 2020 4:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
This place undoubtedly has... changed since you were last here. But feel free to pull up a virtual chair and hang out if you want.

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. Anxiety is high. even online. Someone PM'd here and said I could talk to them any time, but when I replied it said the user doesn't exist. Alas, they had 0 posts so I guess it was life's way of saying: "No friend for you!"

I remember you Just Brew It! I think I will brew some Tea.

Does TechReport have a World Community Grid team? I've been spending a lot of time and resources in setting up a huge distributed computing farm for the Openpandemics project, specifically for the ongoing virus thing.

Otherwise I am just plodding on with my Ryzen 5 2600X and have no real interest, now, of upgrading him. Though the new "Ryzen 5 3600XT" kinda piqued my interest I admit. Maybe? I spend too much money on computer components.

Pulls up a virtual chair

So what's new? How are you, everyone?
I like Ryzen.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi SashleyCat. Could be interesting to find your old account, nay? Some detective work.

It didn't really take long for you to reply. Forums aren't expected to be realtime, after all. For realtime, did you try IRC? Or, some might suggest Discord.

SashleyCat wrote:
How are you, everyone?

Could be better. :P

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue May 26, 2020 12:03 am

SashleyCat wrote:
Does TechReport have a World Community Grid team? I've been spending a lot of time and resources in setting up a huge distributed computing farm for the Openpandemics project, specifically for the ongoing virus thing.

Yes, you can join this team. You can also enable Rosetta@Home since it has COVID-19 research as well. In fact, they were available earlier than OpenPandemics so I did that first. The bulk of team TR's computing resources has been dedicated to Folding@Home however, with the most points coming from GPUs. The R@H/WCG COVID-related projects do not use GPUs so if you are like me without a powerful enough video card, it is a good alternative to help out.

Further discussion should go to the Distributed Computing forum. :wink:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

SashleyCat
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2020 12:07 am

meerkt wrote:
Hi SashleyCat. Could be interesting to find your old account, nay? Some detective work.

It didn't really take long for you to reply. Forums aren't expected to be realtime, after all. For realtime, did you try IRC? Or, some might suggest Discord.

SashleyCat wrote:
How are you, everyone?

Could be better. :P

I can't rememeber the username or password. When I go to "forgot password" it says it doesn't recognise my email. I thought it had been deleted.

:c
I like Ryzen.

SashleyCat
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2020 12:12 am

Flying Fox wrote:
SashleyCat wrote:

Yes, you can join this team. You can also enable Rosetta@Home since it has COVID-19 research as well. In fact, they were available earlier than OpenPandemics so I did that first. The bulk of team TR's computing resources has been dedicated to Folding@Home however, with the most points coming from GPUs. The R@H/WCG COVID-related projects do not use GPUs so if you are like me without a powerful enough video card, it is a good alternative to help out.

Further discussion should go to the Distributed Computing forum. :wink:

Thank you! I have some GPUs so I will join the TPU Folding Team. I currently have an RX 5500 XT, 5700 and an RX 590. Between them all it is about 1.4m points per day. Every little helps I guess. I already asked on their forum if Navi was fixed and apparently it is and they have been doing OK for when I tried them. I will post in the appropriate forum if I have questions. :3.
I like Ryzen.

Robotics
Gerbil

Tue May 26, 2020 1:23 am

SashleyCat wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. Anxiety is high. even online. Someone PM'd here and said I could talk to them any time, but when I replied it said the user doesn't exist. Alas, they had 0 posts so I guess it was life's way of saying: "No friend for you!"

I remember you Just Brew It! I think I will brew some Tea.

Otherwise I am just plodding on with my Ryzen 5 2600X and have no real interest, now, of upgrading him. Though the new "Ryzen 5 3600XT" kinda piqued my interest I admit. Maybe? I spend too much money on computer components.

Pulls up a virtual chair

So what's new? How are you, everyone?

I PMed you either. If you read you can join our train, we are glad to see you, but if you interest ( :

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue May 26, 2020 10:15 am

SashleyCat wrote:
Thank you! I have some GPUs so I will join the TPU Folding Team. I currently have an RX 5500 XT, 5700 and an RX 590. Between them all it is about 1.4m points per day. Every little helps I guess. I already asked on their forum if Navi was fixed and apparently it is and they have been doing OK for when I tried them. I will post in the appropriate forum if I have questions. :3.

As you may guess, our F@H team is 2630.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm

SashleyCat wrote:
Hello.

My name is Ashley. But online I am known as SashleyCat.

I have been active on this forum before, but I completely forgot all the details. I am super lonely and depressed and want to try joining a community again. I desperately want to talk about Processors and Technology because my Autism demands it. Am I OK to be here?

Or am I doomed to be forever alone?

Thankmeow.

No one is doomed to be forever alone. It may seem like it right now, heck everyone in the world is stressed over the quarantine, the self isolation, the food insecurities we all have. But one thing that doesn't change is the people you've known for 20+ years. The forums you've visited.

I've been here since almost day one, and I've been pretty much not here for over 10 years. This doesn't change my attitudes for this place, nor for the people here. It's a self made, tight knit community, and over time all communities changes. However what doesn't change is the people around.

I saw FlyingFox invited you into F@H, and while it's a great thing to do, keep in mind it keeps your CPU/GPU 100% busy unless your using it. Depending on your rig it can cause an increase in electricity and heat output. And a little self promotion? - I actually founded that team. :) Keep in mind that F@H can actually be used to help with this current pandemic. Whether or not it is, I can't say.

So if you need someone to talk to - please speak up. If you need help in anyway please mention it to someone. No matter where you are in the world - people can help.

And I forgot to you say - you are absolutely welcome here.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:50 am

Hi Ashley.. you're welcome here. It's a great community that's usually fun to hang around with, complete with the occasional heated debates. :D. But yeah, it's the internet so...

I've been away from TR for a while myself but I find myself coming back these days.

I ran across a website that featured high res die shots of Ryzen a few weeks ago and it shares your name. Is it your site?

https://www.sashleycat.com/post/high-de ... -reference

Your signature also seems to suggest this.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?