Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Oatcakes/Ashcakes on stovetop, who made this before?

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:36 pm

After watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhSj_VMjmUA
I decided to try my hand at doing this, since I have plenty of oatmeal, and have been cooking cornmeal pancakes using a skillet.

2 1/4 Cups of oatmeal.
A bit over one tablespoon of melted butter.
2 eggs.
2 packets of sweetener.
a little over 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

I guess it came out all right and I didn't scorch or blacken any. I didn't let the batter set any, maybe I should have? Perhaps I'll use less milk, some more salt and sweetener, along with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon next time I make this.

So anyone done this on a campfire white ashes or hot stone before?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Oatcakes/Ashcakes on stovetop, who made this before?

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:14 am

Just in case you didn't know this, don't use aspartame as the sweetener in anything that will be cooked. It decomposes when heated.

Anyhow, no I've never made those. Sounds like a basic unleavened flatbread made from oats. You didn't mention how much milk you used. How was the texture? I'd expect them to be kind of chewy given the recipe. My personal preference would probably be to add some flour and baking powder, to turn them into something more like oatmeal pancakes.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 am

just brew it! wrote:
Just in case you didn't know this, don't use aspartame as the sweetener in anything that will be cooked. It decomposes when heated.

Anyhow, no I've never made those. Sounds like a basic unleavened flatbread made from oats. You didn't mention how much milk you used. How was the texture? I'd expect them to be kind of chewy given the recipe. My personal preference would probably be to add some flour and baking powder, to turn them into something more like oatmeal pancakes.

I used one cup of milk. I don't have any sugar or any sort of flour not baking soda. Next time I'll use honey or molasses, some oat or barely flour, etc....

I'm suprised I didn't burn any of them, one old man I gave one to, enjoy it. This being Summer I don't want to turn my oven on, which is why I'm using my stovetop. Since Ashcakes are the oldest forms of flatbread, which were cooked on either on white hot ashes, the hearthstones,or if they were lucky, even a metal plate or flat pan of some sort.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Sj0n-61bs
Like the vast majority of Americans I would have called these oatmeal cookies. especially if they were baked inside an oven instead of a griddle or skillet.

However when I heard of Barley Cakes and Oatcakes, what I was thinking was something close to Bannock instead of anything that looks like a modern Cookie. Maybe I'll try my hand at making Bannock...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1gA4iJAXw

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Well I'm going to what the last video I posted mentioned and make oat flour out of the 2 and one half canisters of Rolled Oats I have. Use that to make the Oatcakes.... I need a Blender/Food Processor...

Next Step is to get some Beremeal... Mix that with the oat flour. Use that to make... Stovecakes? Or rather Bannock...

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Success!!! Well sort of, I brought a Blender and turned Roll Oats into actual Oatmeal(course ground flour) and made these:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... Rl5dQO5RTi

I did however put too much salt in the mixture and can't even taste the dark brown sugar or the melted butter I also put in... Next time I put in some baking soda/powder(the difference?). Less salt and more brown sugar as well. Live and learn, do better next time.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Pics aren't loading.

The difference between baking soda and baking powder is that baking soda requires an acidic ingredient to react with in order to produce the leavening action, whereas baking powder will work without any additional acid.

Your choices for leavening your bread products are (in order of increasing convenience):

1. yeast + sugar + time
2. baking soda + an acidic ingredient
3. baking powder

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
Pics aren't loading.

The difference between baking soda and baking powder is that baking soda requires an acidic ingredient to react with in order to produce the leavening action, whereas baking powder will work without any additional acid.

Your choices for leavening your bread products are (in order of increasing convenience):

1. yeast + sugar + time
2. baking soda + an acidic ingredient
3. baking powder

Thanks, I'll get some baking powder then. Next step is to make some Bannock...

I'm was just reading and watching YouTube videos about primitive foods and in particular bread making. How people live back in the European Dark Ages and in Coronal America. Especially the lower classes.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:28 am

So your goal is to eat like a peasant in the Dark Ages?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
So your goal is to eat like a peasant in the Dark Ages?

No, just a reminder of just how lucky we Modern Humans are... And just how lazy we have gotten as well. How many people even know or are aware just where their food comes from? I actually grossed out people before by simply describing how cheese and yogurt are made.