Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: System guide soon to be two years old.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
tfp wrote:
The question is, does Intel have enough cash flow to do both the stock by back and buy enough lithography system? They also pay a quarterly dividend. They are a big enough company, have enough cash, and cash flow to do more than 1 thing.

Whether it is an issue with equipment or with having sufficient process engineering staff (or both), it seems pretty clear that they haven't been doing what it takes lately.

Agreed and they have a complete disconnect between marketing and tech considering not only are they missing at the last minute they are pushes dates out by a year when they miss. Someone must know they are missing well in advance of when they are reporting.

Changing topics the clock speeds on the 10 nano laptop chips looks pretty good from reports over the weekend. That should help if they can start shipping desktop chips as well. Intel 10nm is about the same as TSMC 7nm right?

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 pm

tfp wrote:
Intel 10nm is about the same as TSMC 7nm right?

That's what I've heard. No idea how accurate that claim is though.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:
tfp wrote:
Intel 10nm is about the same as TSMC 7nm right?

That's what I've heard. No idea how accurate that claim is though.

Me either, it makes me wonder if the process sizes have always been directly compatible between companies. I have read that intel 10nm is slightly behind TSMC 7nm but I can't remember were I read that.

liar
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:54 pm

I came looking for the reliable System Guide. My Phenom II X4 B50 is looking a bit old... *8')
Sancte Isidore, ora pro nobis!
Caveat lector.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
it seems pretty clear that they haven't been doing what it takes lately.

I'd love to get a rundown in a year / 5 years / whenever of what all went wrong and why. Something like the Theranos mini-documentaries (but hopefully unlike the Theranos dumpster fire there's a at least somewhat happy ending for Intel in the not too distant future).

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:58 am

DrCR wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
it seems pretty clear that they haven't been doing what it takes lately.

I'd love to get a rundown in a year / 5 years / whenever of what all went wrong and why. Something like the Theranos mini-documentaries (but hopefully unlike the Theranos dumpster fire there's a at least somewhat happy ending for Intel in the not too distant future).

Yes it really IS that bad.
Someone might even wind up going to jail! :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 pm

liar wrote:
I came looking for the reliable System Guide. My Phenom II X4 B50 is looking a bit old... *8')

Wonder what happened to this site. Its kind of all over the place these days. The news feed here was one of the best in the internet and its become one of the worst. Whenever they do reviews they are good but its just not enough content to even think about anymore. I just checked back and its worst than when I last was on here. Tech Report is the OG for me, built many machines for myself and others with the insightful reviews and build guides on this site over the decades.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:28 am

This is from another thread here, but relevant to the topic at hand...

Flying Fox wrote:
Closest to the old System Guide may be this one, by our own derFunk too.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B