Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Are you sure you want to buy your little girl Barbie Dolls?

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:59 am

Well it is almost unknown in the US States that the Barbie doll is based off a earlier German Adult Doll that was from a Comic Strip about a German Call Girl named Lilli and her adventures... That Doll was sold as a gag gift in all sort of shops and grown men would "play" with them. You could even buy doll size outfits....

Needless to say, German parents buy these for their daughters as they didn't consider them to be suitable for little girls...
https://www.messynessychic.com/2016/01/ ... rbie-doll/

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Are you sure you want to buy your little girl Barbie Dolls?

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:05 pm

I don't see why it should matter where the inventor of Barbie got the idea from.

I'd also argue against the "almost unknown in the US States" claim, since Wikipedia's article on Barbie mentions it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I don't see why it should matter where the inventor of Barbie got the idea from.

I'd also argue against the "almost unknown in the US States" claim, since Wikipedia's article on Barbie mentions it.

Unknown is this sense mean the vast majority of Americans... Even now how many of my countrymen are aware that Barbie came from a German Call Girl Doll, For grown men?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:00 pm

...nobody cares.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Waco wrote:
...nobody cares.

Grown men playing with dolls[i] doesn't seem[i] rather odd[i] to you? Maybe it is an 80's thing as I did mostly grew up during that decade. But when I was going up, boys who regularly played with dolls were made fun of...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:15 pm

OK there, Dark Helmet.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
OK there, Dark Helmet.

That is exact what I am talking about... That is why that Scene was so funny. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:53 am

whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:
...nobody cares.

Grown men playing with dolls[i] doesn't seem[i] rather odd[i] to you? Maybe it is an 80's thing as I did mostly grew up during that decade. But when I was going up, boys who regularly played with dolls were made fun of...

Starting a thread about it on a tech site in 2020 when the events in question happened 65 years ago, and implying that the history somehow de-legitimizes the current version of the toy is at least as odd. :wink:

If you want to complain about Barbie, maybe the way it has continued to reinforce gender stereotypes through the years is a more legitimate target? But even that is a somewhat odd topic for discussion here (and likely to veer off into R&P territory).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:39 am

There's a Ken doll head stuck in the wall of my childhood home. Take a small hole in the drywall that my sister used as a "window" for her dolls, and then get his head stuck. Eight-year-old me said, "That's no problem, I'll get it out," and yanked. Off came his head.

archaeologists from other worlds will think we did weird things to people. Shrunken heads and the like. LOL
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:04 am

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:
...nobody cares.

Starting a thread about it on a tech site in 2020 when the events in question happened 65 years ago, and implying that the history somehow de-legitimizes the current version of the toy is at least as odd. :wink:

If you want to complain about Barbie, maybe the way it has continued to reinforce gender stereotypes through the years is a more legitimate target? But even that is a somewhat odd topic for discussion here (and likely to veer off into R&P territory).

Well there is at least one woman and one guy who actually made themselves look like living Barbie and Ken dolls... But I think it is funny that a doll this marketed to little girl was base off an adult doll for grown men....