Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Roasted peanut oil. Anyone cook with/or use it?

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:18 pm

I was thinking of buying some unrefined peanut oil for frying earlier today around noon or so, but soon learned that the stuff with the most flavor is Roasted. Which I use it to make my own Salad Dressing or just straight up put it on the Salad.

I have zero experience with any kind of peanut oil. But I'm wondering if the Roasted kind the flavor will be overwhelming if I fry something in it?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Roasted peanut oil. Anyone cook with/or use it?

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:23 pm

I'm not familiar with roasted peanut oil, but if it is anything like roasted sesame oil you don't want to fry with it. Roasted sesame oil is used more like a condiment, in small amounts. It would be overpowering (not to mention expensive) if used for frying.

Regular (not roasted) peanut oil is excellent for cooking. I probably use it as much as I use olive oil. (My rule of thumb is peanut oil for cooking Asian dishes, olive oil for European.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm not familiar with roasted peanut oil, but if it is anything like roasted sesame oil you don't want to fry with it. Roasted sesame oil is used more like a condiment, in small amounts. It would be overpowering (not to mention expensive) if used for frying.

Regular (not roasted) peanut oil is excellent for cooking. I probably use it as much as I use olive oil. (My rule of thumb is peanut oil for cooking Asian dishes, olive oil for European.)

Well I did use Sesame Oil for oil frying one time, in a skillet. Don't remember if it was roasted or not. Or even what I fried with it. But only used one or two table spoons when I did it. Other then putting it in Ramon Noodle soup a few times, I can't recall what else I did with it. Dripping whole grain bread maybe?

I think you can use Roasted peanut oil for frying, but if I offer anyone any food fried with this, I hope I remember to ask if that person has nasty reactions to peanuts. I do give extra food I'm not eating to homeless people from time to time. Although not all.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:54 pm

A very brief search and I found this:
https://latourangelle.com/product/roasted-peanut-oil/
Price doesn't look too bad, but I'll double check prices elsewhere.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:47 pm

Peanut oil or sunflower oil are go-to choices for deep fryers, since they don't decompose as easily as other common cooking oils (e.g.: Olive or Canola oils).
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/co ... -to-choose
· R5-3600X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro +2TB MX500 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Focus PX-850, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder Chroma

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:15 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Peanut oil or sunflower oil are go-to choices for deep fryers, since they don't decompose as easily as other common cooking oils (e.g.: Olive or Canola oils).

I keep getting results for Peanut oil and unrefined for frying but not anything with roasted at all.

Bummer...

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 pm

Anyone heard of this or the Shuar tribe from the Amazon?
https://nuts.com/nuts/peanuts/jungle.html
Well I suppose if one wanted to support a native tribe from that area, you buy these. But I don't how much the tribe gets from the sale of these raw peanuts.

Yes Peanuts are a South American Plant. While groundnuts are from Africa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrotyloma_geocarpum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigna_subterranea

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:30 am

whm1974 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

I keep getting results for Peanut oil and unrefined for frying but not anything with roasted at all.

Bummer...

Did it ever occur to you that maybe that's because people don't fry things in roasted peanut oil?

The product you linked a few posts back specifically says it is a "finishing oil". That means it's intended to be used as a seasoning, not for cooking in. (Note that "finishing oil" also has another completely different meaning, in the context of woodworking... but the one you linked is clearly intended for human consumption.)

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Bummer...

Did it ever occur to you that maybe that's because people don't fry things in roasted peanut oil?

The product you linked a few posts back specifically says it is a "finishing oil". That means it's intended to be used as a seasoning, not for cooking in. (Note that "finishing oil" also has another completely different meaning, in the context of woodworking... but the one you linked is clearly intended for human consumption.)

Just a edible Finishing Oil is used to add flavor to a dish, doesn't mean you can't use it to fry foods with, or it is not suitable for doing so. Many of the articles and online vendors do mention baking with Roasted Peanut Oil. Which is why I'm asking if I can fry foods with it.

Note: Current I almost always use butter for frying. Sometimes I use Olive Oil instead. Mostly I only have it for dipping bread in. Wait a minute.... Wouldn't Roasted Peanut and Sesame Oil be more suitable for dipping, or least with certain grains?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:02 am

Roasted sesame oil has a very strong flavor which can overpower anything cooked with it unless it is used sparingly. Frying something in it would leave the food tasting like roasted sesame oil and little else. I don't see why you couldn't bake with roasted oils, as the amount of oil used in baked goods generally isn't that much (unless you're talking about something like shortbread, which has a very high percentage of butter). But I think frying would be a bad idea - I doubt the result would be as palatable as something fried in non-roasted oil, and it would also be a waste of a more expensive oil.

(Note: I assumed you meant deep frying. If you just mean using a little of it to coat the pan, that would probably be fine. But IMO you'd still be better off adding it at the end of cooking.)

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:25 am

just brew it! wrote:
Roasted sesame oil has a very strong flavor which can overpower anything cooked with it unless it is used sparingly. Frying something in it would leave the food tasting like roasted sesame oil and little else. I don't see why you couldn't bake with roasted oils, as the amount of oil used in baked goods generally isn't that much (unless you're talking about something like shortbread, which has a very high percentage of butter). But I think frying would be a bad idea - I doubt the result would be as palatable as something fried in non-roasted oil, and it would also be a waste of a more expensive oil.

(Note: I assumed you meant deep frying. If you just mean using a little of it to coat the pan, that would probably be fine. But IMO you'd still be better off adding it at the end of cooking.)

Just pan frying. I don't own a deep fryer and I don't have room for one as I live in a SRO. Well not much for all the cooking equipment I would like to own anyway. Wait I can reuse cooking oils up to a point, correct? I was just thinking that I had to throw out any oil I deep fried food with. What is the limit for reusing peanut oil for both pan and deep frying anyway? Assume I keep well under the smoke point.

I think I'll just stick to unrefined peanut oil for any frying and keep the Roasted for flavoring.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:54 am

The key to reusing oil is to strain out any chunky bits and get the oil in a closed container where it can't oxidize. It can be reused many times. Also, a Dutch Oven makes for a handy deep-fryer substitute.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:51 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I think I'll just stick to unrefined peanut oil for any frying and keep the Roasted for flavoring.

Unrefined peanut oil is not the same thing as unroasted peanut oil.

Unrefined peanut oil still contains peanut compounds besides oil, and has a lower smoke point. Like roasted peanut oil, it is generally considered to be a "finishing" oil.

For frying you generally will want refined (but not roasted) peanut oil, but you could use unrefined if you want a stronger peanut flavor and are mindful of the lower smoke point.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Unrefined peanut oil is not the same thing as unroasted peanut oil.

Unrefined peanut oil still contains peanut compounds besides oil, and has a lower smoke point. Like roasted peanut oil, it is generally considered to be a "finishing" oil.

For frying you generally will want refined (but not roasted) peanut oil, but you could use unrefined if you want a stronger peanut flavor and are mindful of the lower smoke point.

The stronger peanut flavor is what I'm wanting. Since refined peanut oil tends to contained traces of an industrial solvent used in extraction of oil, I want to avoid using this.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:31 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Since refined peanut oil tends to contained traces of an industrial solvent used in extraction of oil, I want to avoid using this.

Not really, no. Not enough to ever be any affect at all on the taste, your health, or anything.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Since refined peanut oil tends to contained traces of an industrial solvent used in extraction of oil, I want to avoid using this.

Not really, no. Not enough to ever be any affect at all on the taste, your health, or anything.

This is a common Industrial Process to extract more oil from pressed oilseeds.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:13 am

whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I also try to avoid things that literally have no effect on me.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:30 am

Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:

This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable ... extraction
Granted I don't deep fry at all, just cook fried eggs or steak in a skillet using butter.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am

whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

This:
Granted I don't deep fry at all, just cook fried eggs or steak in a skillet using butter.

So nice, so nice, we link it twice?

Yes, Waco and I know what solvent extraction is.

And your point is...?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am

It's not natural, man ... [/s]
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 am

duplicate post
Last edited by cphite on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 am

duplicate post
Last edited by cphite on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:19 am

whm1974 wrote:
Just a edible Finishing Oil is used to add flavor to a dish, doesn't mean you can't use it to fry foods with, or it is not suitable for doing so. Many of the articles and online vendors do mention baking with Roasted Peanut Oil. Which is why I'm asking if I can fry foods with it.

The primary purpose of a finishing oil is seasoning... that isn't to say that you cannot fry with it... but odds are you aren't going to like the results. When you fry something, the oil you're using is a direct part of the cooking process - it transfers the heat to the food. When you bake something, any oil you use is for binding ingredients together, or for adding flavor - it's not part of the actual cooking process.

Odds are that frying with a finishing oil would result in an overpowering flavor; but if you like that, go ahead and do it.

Note: Current I almost always use butter for frying. Sometimes I use Olive Oil instead. Mostly I only have it for dipping bread in. Wait a minute.... Wouldn't Roasted Peanut and Sesame Oil be more suitable for dipping, or least with certain grains?

The answer to that question is: Do you like the taste of roasted peanut oil or sesame oil? If yes, dip away.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Waco wrote:

This:

And your point is...?

Oops.... I mean to post this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane#Safety

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:46 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
This:

And your point is...?

I like how you're continuing to post things that make it abundantly clear that you're worrying about nothing as if it's going to change our minds.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Waco wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

And your point is...?

I like how you're continuing to post things that make it abundantly clear that you're worrying about nothing as if it's going to change our minds.

OK whatever. Of course I want the peanut flavor so I'll just get the cold pressed anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:53 pm

At least the flavor of peanuts goes well with a lot of things. I had a chocolate cake once where someone had subbed olive oil for whatever oil the recipe called for, and it was really weird.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
At least the flavor of peanuts goes well with a lot of things. I had a chocolate cake once where someone had subbed olive oil for whatever oil the recipe called for, and it was really weird.

Why in the World did they use Olive Oil for? :o :roll:
As far as cooking with Olive Oil goes, I only fry eggs or maybe plain chicken breast.
Last edited by whm1974 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That was what they had. I'm sure the recipe called for something more neutral like canola or corn oil.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That was what they had. I'm sure the recipe called for something more neutral like canola or corn oil.

So why didn't they just go to store buy some?