Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Used Cooking Oil Thieves? There's much money in that?

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/inv ... 03103.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... story.html
Good God!!! There is enough money in used cooking oil to be worthwhile to steal? Well I am aware that the grease can be recycled back into useful products, but you can get good enough Profit even bother with raiding Grease Traps? That has to be the really oddest thing I heard of....

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Used Cooking Oil Thieves? There's much money in that?

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:18 pm

whm1974 wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/investigators-hunt-down-restaurant-grease-220703103.html
Good God!!! There is enough money in used cooking oil to be worthwhile to steal? Well I am aware that the grease can be recycled back into useful products, but you can get good enough Profit even bother with raiding Grease Traps? That has to be the really oddest thing I heard of....

Short answer, yeah.

There are companies that exist off of legally taking that grease and converting it, either to new cooking oil or bio-fuel. So clearly there is money to be made.

Diesel is selling for an average of around $2.40 per gallon right now - and that 150 gallon tank behind Burger King as mentioned in your second link will yield around 133 gallons of biodiesel. It will cost you around 50 cents per gallon to make. So you're paying around $65 to make $320 worth of sellable product - netting $255 per tank. Obviously there are additional costs for transportation, storage and whatnot - so let's say you're making $150-200 from that one tank. Get a couple of people working for you, maybe do 1500 gallons per week, and that's $2550 net per week.

Or, more likely, you sell the stuff as-is to someone with the setup to make biofuel - which is what it sounds like the guy they caught in your article was doing. He was getting 25 cents per gallon, or around $37 for that tank - which doesn't sound like a lot - but may be a lot for someone in a position where they're willing to steal burger grease. That's $37 he didn't have, basically from nothing, for maybe a half hour of effort. Or to put it into perspective, just two of those tanks per night would net him $74 which divided by 8 would come to $9.25 an hour, better than minimum wage - especially since it's tax free.

Folks who tell you crime doesn't pay just haven't figured out the right crime.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:15 pm

cphite wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/investigators-hunt-down-restaurant-grease-220703103.html

Short answer, yeah.

There are companies that exist off of legally taking that grease and converting it, either to new cooking oil or bio-fuel. So clearly there is money to be made.

Diesel is selling for an average of around $2.40 per gallon right now - and that 150 gallon tank behind Burger King as mentioned in your second link will yield around 133 gallons of biodiesel. It will cost you around 50 cents per gallon to make. So you're paying around $65 to make $320 worth of sellable product - netting $255 per tank. Obviously there are additional costs for transportation, storage and whatnot - so let's say you're making $150-200 from that one tank. Get a couple of people working for you, maybe do 1500 gallons per week, and that's $2550 net per week.

Or, more likely, you sell the stuff as-is to someone with the setup to make biofuel - which is what it sounds like the guy they caught in your article was doing. He was getting 25 cents per gallon, or around $37 for that tank - which doesn't sound like a lot - but may be a lot for someone in a position where they're willing to steal burger grease. That's $37 he didn't have, basically from nothing, for maybe a half hour of effort. Or to put it into perspective, just two of those tanks per night would net him $74 which divided by 8 would come to $9.25 an hour, better than minimum wage - especially since it's tax free.

There was a time when I would have thought $74 a night was good money... Back when Fed Min Wage was 4.25 an hour...

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:55 pm

whm1974 wrote:
cphite wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Short answer, yeah.

There was a time when I would have thought $74 a night was good money... Back when Fed Min Wage was 4.25 an hour...

The term "good money" is relative. For someone working a full time job, it may not seem like good money... but to someone desperate enough to even consider stealing used cooking oil, it ain't bad. It's more than a standard shift at minimum wage.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:41 pm

cphite wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
cphite wrote:

Short answer, yeah.

The term "good money" is relative. For someone working a full time job, it may not seem like good money... but to someone desperate enough to even consider stealing used cooking oil, it ain't bad. It's more than a standard shift at minimum wage.

Well I suppose one would have to steal a lot of it to make good money doing this per day. Still it just really seems odd to do. I thought restaurants had to pay a disposal fee for someone to pick up and get rid of used cooking oil.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:42 pm

whm1974 wrote:
cphite wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Well I suppose one would have to steal a lot of it to make good money doing this per day. Still it just really seems odd to do. I thought restaurants had to pay a disposal fee for someone to pick up and get rid of used cooking oil.

The restaurant is paying someone to come and get it, so that they don't have to get rid of it themselves. That doesn't mean it's worthless - it just means it's worth less than it would cost for them to deal with it themselves.

The company that comes to pick it up is making money on both the coming and picking it up part, and then they're making additional money by converting it or selling it to someone else.

The thief is obviously making a lot less money - but he's still making money. It may not be good money - but it's certainly worth an hour or two of his time, especially if the alternative is being totally broke.

As far as it being odd... the reality is that very few places are gonna put up alarms or cameras, much less pay someone to guard, a bin full of used fry oil; and bypassers are unlikely to notice or think much about a guy in a truck pulling fry oil from a bin in the garbage area behind a restaurant. It may not be much money, but it's fairly low risk.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:07 pm

Way back in 1981-82 I worked as a short-order cook in the local greasy spoon to make some drinking money. One of my tasks was to drain the dead fryolator oil (we used it for just 2 days given how hard it was used) into the waste oil barrel out back. Disgusting job, and given how much had been spilled over the decades that place had been open, you really needed crampons.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.