Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Serious question about the old content from Tech Report.

Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:12 pm

Not trying to be a downer... but there's not really any good way to spin this.

Some of the biggest PC hardware shakeups of the past 20 years have happened over the past year or so. Now, AMD is leading in performance and value for CPUs across the board, and Intel has seemingly been caught off guard for the first time since 2003. On top of that, Intel is rolling out their first dedicated graphics product since the i740, which also happens to be the first product with any real hope of competing with nvidia and ATI\AMD since 3dfx closed up in 2000. Consoles are becoming more and more PC-like, and are starting to optimize games for high-speed storage, which could lead to revolutionary changes in how PC games are stored, and how expansive\seamless the experience can be. This could possibly be the biggest change in this area since games started installing all of their data to the hard disk (remember what it was like to load FMV sequences from CD? How about having to swap disks to play different parts of a game?).

What I'm getting at is... the current TR staff isn't covering this stuff. If it isn't covering this stuff, it isn't going to cover anything like this any more. I've been down this road a couple times over the past 20 years. I was a forum moderator at another moderately successful nvidia-focused tech site for several years, but eventually they stopped doing articles\reviews and shut down after a few years of trying to survive with just a forum and no content. That entire site and it's huge knowledge-base, both in the forum discussions and articles, now only exist in the bits and pieces stored on archive.org.

It saddens me to say that I see that happening here too eventually. The difference is that where that site had very little content outside of the forums for many years, TR was, in my opinion, the finest PC hardware site on the internet throughout most of its life. The reviews were second to none, and they were focusing on benchmarking frametimes long before the other major sites were.

I dabble with old hardware frequently, so a lot of this content will remain relevant for me and I'm sure many others.

I'm just wondering: How thorough has the "old" site been backed up or archived over the years? Does anyone have access to a full, complete backup of the site prior to "The Change"?
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Serious question about the old content from Tech Report.

Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:06 am

ozzuneoj wrote:
the current TR staff

There is a current staff? :lol:

ozzuneoj wrote:
I'm just wondering: How thorough has the "old" site been backed up or archived over the years? Does anyone have access to a full, complete backup of the site prior to "The Change"?

Probably the Way Back Machine. Otherwise I believe the content is sold and backing up without permission may lead to legal trouble.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:40 am

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
ozzuneoj wrote:
the current TR staff

There is a current staff? :lol:

ozzuneoj wrote:

Probably the Way Back Machine. Otherwise I believe the content is sold and backing up without permission may lead to legal trouble.

And based on how they're running things, suing someone might be their only chance to monetize it :D