Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Questors
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

TR Dead?

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:00 pm

I'm not seeing much recent at the Tech Report site. The site die for one reason or another?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: TR Dead?

Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Questors
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Too bad.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:14 am

It's dead, Jim.

The second to last staff news poster was Nathan W., he left for school. The last staff news poster was Erik F., and he's gone now. My YouTube channel remains active but I see no reason to continue generating companion content here since the lack of regular news updates kills the hit count, and Renee appears to just be posting more listicles rather than serious reviews, so TR is pretty much a dead property unless the current owners bring some additional people onboard.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:22 pm

ludi wrote:
It's dead, Jim.

The second to last staff news poster was Nathan W., he left for school. The last staff news poster was Erik F., and he's gone now. My YouTube channel remains active but I see no reason to continue generating companion content here since the lack of regular news updates kills the hit count, and Renee appears to just be posting more listicles rather than serious reviews, so TR is pretty much a dead property unless the current owners bring some additional people onboard.

Yeah. The only sad thing about TR dying is loss of forums. Archive.org doesn't go deep enough to archive those properly and man, was there ever some good stuff posted here over the years....

Expecting the current TR owners to do anything with the site other than harvest its organs and discard it is, and has always been, foolish. It's what they do, you can see they are carrion preying on easy SEO pickings from their portfolio of dying or dead websites.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Wonders
Gerbil

Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:14 am

Thinking about TR these days, I can’t help be reminded of the classic kids book The Giving Tree.

Tech Report played its part in creating wonderful opportunities and connections for Scott, Geoff, Cyril, Jeff, Adam, staff writers, contributors, and many in the community. We tend to focus on how much individuals gave to the site, but never forget that the Tech Report itself as a purpose-driven journalistic enterprise always delivered with integrity, time and again, and richly rewarded all those who chose to invest their time here.

The Tech Report kept giving until it had nothing left to give.

Market forces are what they are. But TR will always be special.

Many times we have thanked the individuals involved. But today I'd like to say: Thank you Tech Report, for what you have given us.

Laykun
Gerbil

Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:01 pm

Rest if Peace TR. I'll always treasure the good old days. Ignoring other sites and waiting for a TR review instead, and arguing in the comments section.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:51 am

I miss Tech Report. I wish the owners would do something with it rather than just letting the site languish. If all they were going to do was simply sit on it, I'm not sure what their purpose was in purchasing it in the first place.
I wish I had gone to med school.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:43 pm

The Swamp wrote:
I miss Tech Report. I wish the owners would do something with it rather than just letting the site languish. If all they were going to do was simply sit on it, I'm not sure what their purpose was in purchasing it in the first place.

They are doing something with it, which is to attract SEO bots. This audience just has a different understanding of what "something" means to them vs the new owners. Goals and objectives.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:57 am

It has ascended to its final form: a robotic listicle wasteland.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I miss the times when I could come here and know that this was the defacto place to learn about computers... I used the guides back when the nForce 4 chipset was all the rage... ahhh those times...

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:56 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Does this final form make money? I'm thinking no.

Honestly at this point, I am hoping I get a 404 each time I log in. Put it out of its misery.

Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:43 am

Vrock wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Honestly at this point, I am hoping I get a 404 each time I log in. Put it out of its misery.

It won't be a plain 404 error. It will have a list of the top 10 404 errors.

zimpdagreene
Gerbil

Re:

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Well said.

Wonders wrote:
Thinking about TR these days, I can’t help be reminded of the classic kids book The Giving Tree.

Tech Report played its part in creating wonderful opportunities and connections for Scott, Geoff, Cyril, Jeff, Adam, staff writers, contributors, and many in the community. We tend to focus on how much individuals gave to the site, but never forget that the Tech Report itself as a purpose-driven journalistic enterprise always delivered with integrity, time and again, and richly rewarded all those who chose to invest their time here.

The Tech Report kept giving until it had nothing left to give.

Market forces are what they are. But TR will always be special.

Many times we have thanked the individuals involved. But today I'd like to say: Thank you Tech Report, for what you have given us.
Don't Stop. Drive hard fast, faster. Windows Uranium,Core 8 32Core, 650gig ram, 1000Ter Hard Drive, 8 Trac Audio Player!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:50 pm

Vrock wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

They're investing nothing beyond co-located hosting costs, so yes, I do think it makes *some* money as it is.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 pm

If so, multiply by 100 sites, and... profit?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:26 pm

That's my guess, yes. Economies of scale that none of us could hope to achieve.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:21 am

I am really sad to see the situation here. Look at the TR front page, i feel like crying.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Last post on the front page was 12/21. And it was ****. Complete and total ****.

Put it out of its misery already.

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:57 am

I even clicked on that "smart mattresses" thing, hoping to see more about this, but instead got a list of dumb mattresses using coil springs to direct wi-fi radiation into the user's head and all known organs. And they hav a user interface, which is not the surface to lie on but a phone app, very likely designed to waste some of the user's time before going to sleep.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:57 pm

Wirko wrote:
I even clicked on that "smart mattresses" thing, hoping to see more about this, but instead got a list of dumb mattresses using coil springs to direct wi-fi radiation into the user's head and all known organs. And they hav a user interface, which is not the surface to lie on but a phone app, very likely designed to waste some of the user's time before going to sleep.

Just what everybody wants. An internet-connected, security hole-ridden smart mattress.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Tr was such a great place for the latest computer related info. I looked forward to the system build guides , they haven't done one in 2 years? I haven't built a new system in 10 years.

The forums and the community of posters were always the greatest assets to the site . Since Damage left its steadily gone down hill. I used to start each day perusing the tech articles and whatever forum posts I was following.
I maybe check it out once a month or so to see if anything is interesting, usually not . I did post in gaming this am about the original Guild Wars. TR, the death of one of the internet giant tech sites.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm

rogue426 wrote:
Tr was such a great place for the latest computer related info. I looked forward to the system build guides , they haven't done one in 2 years? I haven't built a new system in 10 years.

Who is this "they" you spoke of? None of that crew is left on the content/editorial teamrobot anymore. Most of the old folks are us mods that just kept up the spam fighting routines and then clock out.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:39 am

Flying Fox wrote:
rogue426 wrote:

Who is this "they" you spoke of? None of that crew is left on the content/editorial teamrobot anymore. Most of the old folks are us mods that just kept up the spam fighting routines and then clock out.

Exactly
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,

EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:45 pm

im still here; that counts for something right? :)

Questors
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:20 pm

What happened? I obviously missed something.

Prion
Gerbil

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:35 am

Now I feel bad about all those times I said "well... maybe next year" to the TRBBQ

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:43 pm

The BBQ may continue independently.

Prion
Gerbil

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:20 am

meerkt wrote:
The BBQ may continue independently.

Probably so but if the site's fully dead where do we go to find out about the when and where :(

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 am

Questors wrote:
What happened? I obviously missed something.

TL;DR version:

-site was not profitable and was sold to a soulless "entrepreneur"
-new management has not invested time and resources into the site nor do they understand/care to understand the community
-slowly but surely, anyone who had any passion for tech and hardware left the site
-site now consists of inane listicles and a forum that's 90% dead

This is the fate of all large computer hardware sites, eventually, IMO. Tech is a commodity now and has been for quite some time. And you don't see thriving websites reviewing and discussing the merits of toilet paper and laundry detergent, because no one cares.