Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Re: Who is left

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:36 pm

I'll pop in about once a quarter and notice the single renee bot posting, frown, then move on. But still here.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Present.

But rarely. I’ve been dropping in off and on for 2 decades, no reason to stop now…
I have nothing more to say about that.

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:18 pm

So, erm, where did everyone go? I went to Anandtech for a while, but they barely seem to post PC hardware reviews any more, it's all deep-dive silicon manufacturing geekery, enterprise stuff, and mobile phone reviews. More recently, it seems like I can't even access the site from a central-american IP any more.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but Tom's Hardware never quite feels right to me... there's reviews, but it somehow feels a bit surface-level and generic. Can't work out if they're just carefully dressing up corporate press releases with benchmarks or if there's genuine depth there...

Are there any lesser-known website gems out there that aren't "and now a word from our sponsors!"? Or has the Youtube "hyperactive dude mugging into the camera in every thumbnail" era fully taken over all of tech journalism?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:48 pm

Hexus.net? HotHardware.com?

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:41 pm

meerkt wrote:
Hexus.net? HotHardware.com?

Ah thanks, for some reason, Hexus slipped my mind when thinking of alternatives. Always seemed a solid site on the occasions I've read it.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:57 pm

You can find me at the Level1Techs forum. It skews heavily towards the linux and BSD crowd, but the forum is pretty active...

... plus being(mostly) free of politics. :P

As far as written reviews go, yeah you're not really going to find much of that there. There's companion guides and tutorials and stuff posted on the forum pretty regularly though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Pzenarch
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:47 am

I'd suggest TechPowerUp.com for consideration as well ... I'm fairly new to it, and haven't touched the forums (so very similar to what I was doing here *ba dum tch*), but it gives me early TechReport vibes, minus the shortbread.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:31 pm

Another familiar name recently began writing for HotHardware.

https://hothardware.com/author/zak-killian
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

crazyjediman24
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:21 am

Still depressed that TR died, even years on. But for what it's worth, I'll kick in a vote for HotHardware. They've been timely with a lot of news lately and I enjoy reading their reviews.

Haven't checked out their fora yet, on account of I'm still feeling crispy about tech fora, generally.
It is not who I am on the inside, but what I do, that defines me.

Trident Troll
Gerbil

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:07 pm

I've been here forever.
I'll be here forever.
Just without anything to say.

BIF

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:41 pm

It's funny, there's an article on the front page telling us how to build robust communities. I think there should be some demonstrable evidence that you know what you're talking about when you write an article like that. :-?

In other news: I am still working, but my company has a lot fewer people than it did. And continues to shrink, so I'm worried. Now we have a vaccine mandate which has created a revolt. I don't like mandates OR revolts, so I spend my weekends listening to podcasts, playing Steam games, cooking, working around my house, and just generally trying to stay out of trouble with my fellow humans.

I'm getting ready to buy a MacBook Pro with the new Apple Silicon, so that's exciting. I'm finally going to learn myself how to code for Mac and iPad/iPhone. And maybe also get one of the new iPads also with the M1 chip.

It's time for me to replace the hinges on my refrigerator door again. This forum helped me figure out the solution to that problem the first time around; I don't know when that was, but it's been a few years. Yep, keeping as many of the old appliances running as well as possible these days because who knows how long new refrigerators have to spend on a ship sitting off the coast because there are no parking places at the dock and no people to unload the goodies.

I wish there was a way to make Covid go away, make power-hungry and-yet-oh-so-panicky people leave us in peace, and bring everybody back into the workplace and schools again. Oh, and restaurants, too. I remember happy hours, after work bowling, talks at the water dispenser (the water "cooler" hasn't been a thing for at least 5-7 years now).

I miss being able to walk into a computer store and walk out with an exciting new printer, scanner, or graphic card. I miss being able to buy graphic cards, regardless of where from. I miss being able to go out dancing. I miss being able to take a flight without having to choose between being forced to wear a mask or being forced to walk the plank. I miss the simple things, like going out and taking a photography class with actual living HUMANS. I miss being able to iron a shirt and put on a tie once in awhile. Or go to a concert, movie, or comedy show.

I miss being able to go places without my firearm, but since last year's riots and seeing people get beaten nearly to death on YouTube, I don't go anywhere without my lead-slinger and a couple extra magazines of hole punching consumables. At least now, by working at home full time, I don't have to disarm myself when I'm "at work".

I appreciate, love, and miss you all. I wish I could fix all of this for all of us with a wave of my hand.

Hey, is Frankie alive this month? I can't run folding now because I'm working at home and don't want to generate the heat during the hottest part of the day when I'm here.

Well, I'm off to the kitchen. It's going to be broiled salmon, veggies, and either potatoes, rice, or pasta. Yum, something to look forward to!

kvndoom

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:23 pm

GrimDanfango wrote:
So, erm, where did everyone go? I went to Anandtech for a while, but they barely seem to post PC hardware reviews any more, it's all deep-dive silicon manufacturing geekery, enterprise stuff, and mobile phone reviews. More recently, it seems like I can't even access the site from a central-american IP any more.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but Tom's Hardware never quite feels right to me... there's reviews, but it somehow feels a bit surface-level and generic. Can't work out if they're just carefully dressing up corporate press releases with benchmarks or if there's genuine depth there...

Are there any lesser-known website gems out there that aren't "and now a word from our sponsors!"? Or has the Youtube "hyperactive dude mugging into the camera in every thumbnail" era fully taken over all of tech journalism?

Anand left Anandtech.

Tom left Tom's Hardware.

I check here once in a blue moon (today is a blue moon, apparently). Anyone who didn't know the depth of knowledge on these forums wouldn't make it past the front page. Oh well.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:29 pm

BIF wrote:
It's funny, there's an article on the front page telling us how to build robust communities. I think there should be some demonstrable evidence that you know what you're talking about when you write an article like that. :-?
The old techreport knew how to build communities, the current one, I haven't visited the frontpage for years and sadly the forum is on life support, barely.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:22 pm

Hell its at the point where I want to content aggregate or something for the frontpage just so there's something not-embarrassing there

Just dropping by because I bought a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and that makes me think of when I found TR in like 2005 looking at Socket 939 systems (I ended up with a 3800 X2!)
(I know there are better TIMs out there. It was the one that was in stock locally, and it's not like it doesn't work)
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:30 am

Aphasia wrote:
BIF wrote:
The old techreport knew how to build communities, the current one, I haven't visited the frontpage for years and sadly the forum is on life support, barely.

Renee also posted one about a year ago on how to successfully transition a website without disrupting the community. It serves as proof that bots don't understand irony.

atari030
Gerbil

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 pm

I just dropped in here after months of forgetting about (or perhaps it was unconsciously forcing from my memory) what happened to this place. What tragedy.

I get my 'fix' from HotHardware of late....though it's nothing like the glory days around here.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:03 am

Steve at Gamers Nexus is a bro, actually cares about the consumer. I don't care for the video format, but he seems to do solid testing.

mikepers
Gerbil

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:57 pm

Been a while since I checked to see what's going on here. Still miss this site. While I wasn't a frequent poster, thought I'd at least say hello.

Deathright
Topic Author

Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:20 pm

Freon wrote:
Steve at Gamers Nexus is a bro, actually cares about the consumer. I don't care for the video format, but he seems to do solid testing.

Would not be surprised if he was posting in here at some point. He was influenced alot by Scotts work, even interviewed him.
Network theory sucks.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:27 pm

Just checked in for the first time in ages. Feels like a graveyard. RIP. I wonder when I created this account?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:28 pm

January 29, 2003.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Back when anonymous gerbils use to roam freely on the front page. Contesting over Athlon XP versus Pentium 4 Northwoods. ATI was starting rebound its repuation and Nvidia was regarded as the golden standard. Some gerbils were still lamenting for the loss of 3Dfx.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:17 pm

Back when Celeron 300As ran at 450mhz. And Intel hated it.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:13 pm

Vrock wrote:

Mendocino Celerons were more of a happy accident. Intel was experimenting on trying to add on-die L2 cache. They were resulted, because they only able to cram 128KiB of it on 250nm node. Intel marketing branded them as "Celerons" while at time Slot 1 Pentium IIs had 512KiB on back of the module but it operated on back-side bus (1/2 of the CPU clockspeed) versus the full clockspeed that L2 cache enjoyed on Mendocino "Celeron". The "Celeron" could easily handle the same clockspeed as their Pentium II brethen (Same architecutre) and were faster as long as the data fit could within smaller L2 Cache pool.
In a way, Mendocino "Celeron" were kinda a proto-"Coppermine" Pentium III at least the Socket 370 version.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:17 pm

Vrock wrote:

504 if you had an Abit BH6, which I did not. If you had the BP6 dual-socket, you'd understand Damage's comment about creamy smoothness.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:24 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Mendocino Celerons were more of a happy accident. Intel was experimenting on trying to add on-die L2 cache. They were resulted, because they only able to cram 128KiB of it on 250nm node. Intel marketing branded them as "Celerons" while at time Slot 1 Pentium IIs had 512KiB on back of the module but it operated on back-side bus (1/2 of the CPU clockspeed) versus the full clockspeed that L2 cache enjoyed on Mendocino "Celeron". The "Celeron" could easily handle the same clockspeed as their Pentium II brethen (Same architecutre) and were faster as long as the data fit could within smaller L2 Cache pool.
In a way, Mendocino "Celeron" were kinda a proto-"Coppermine" Pentium III at least the Socket 370 version.
Yep. I remember.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:

504 if you had an Abit BH6, which I did not. If you had the BP6 dual-socket, you'd understand Damage's comment about creamy smoothness.

I actually had a BM6. Ran a 366@550 for a good while. Fun times.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:17 pm

Krogoth wrote:
lamenting for the loss of 3Dfx.

I will always lament the loss of 3dfx. 8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:41 pm

Yep. But they are living proof that if you don't innovate, you die.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:52 am

Still check in every 3-4 months, but such a shame this site is nothing like it used to be all those years ago when I joined. Shame. :-(
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD