Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

What was your first year of University like?

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:12 am

As far as academically.

Did any of you fail any classes?

Or a lot of classes?
So how fast is your car, anyway?

Oh, about 1200mhz.

wagsbags
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:18 am

No I certainly didn't come near failing anything but I definitely didn't do as well as I should have. I go to University of Michigan where everyone was smart in high school so everyone comes in expecting to be smart. Takes about a semester for most people to realize that you're average again. If you're lucky.
Asus Laptop Core 2 duo 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB Momentus XT, radeon 4670m

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:50 am

Well, I just got my grades for this quarter:

C
D
C
C+ :lol:

=1.80 =AP

yippee.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:59 am

Was fine, came through with plenty acceptable grades, only real regret is accepting AP credit for honors calc 1, but that didn't really bite me until a year later when the advanced section was doing PhD-level math which was a tad overwhelming in lieu of "normal" 4th semester undergrad stuff.
Last edited by mattsteg on Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:01 am

So far I have definately failed one course, and Im pretty sure I failed another

I got 55% in another, and Im writing my last final on monday, which Im most likely going to fail.

I've wrote a long and apologetic email to the advisor basically saying 'Don't kick me out, I can do better'

In highschool because the work was so easy I never learned basic skills, like how to learn things you dont already know. I didnt realize how not doing anything wasnt going to cut it until about a month before finals, and by that time the term marks were pretty much set in stone.

Bah.

Oh, about 1200mhz.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:07 am

Splinter wrote:
In highschool because the work was so easy I never learned basic skills, like how to learn things you dont already know.
That's not rare. It's tough to take things to the next level sometimes. I can think of a lot of people who dug themsleves giant holes through that sort of thing.
Last edited by mattsteg on Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brap
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:07 am

you're just saying you didn't do your homework right?
If it works,I might buy one...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:04 am

well it was my 2nd year, but that's close enough, I guess
got 2 B's, and an A in my lab, and 2 classes that I'm not sure about...just hoping for a C..that's all
last year, i got a 3.3 GPA...so yeah

AMM
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:07 am

I got a first in my first year. And am on track for another this year.
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:21 am

I came out of it with a 3.2 GPA. Of course I went to a military college where I was forced to study the whole first semester from 8:00 pm to at least 10:00 pm everyday except Friday and Saturday. That helped alot. Think I graduated with like a 3.05 or something. It was just over 3.0.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:25 am

Not too bad (though I could do a little better). First semester was like this:

A
B
B
C
B

And of course the grading scale was different than it was in high school (tougher).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:25 am

Academic? I was failing Calculus right up until the final...the prof made a deal with me because he knew I was working my ass off and just in over my head...said if I passed the final, whatever I got on the final would be my grade. I got a C-. :D Got a B in freshman English...I think that was about it for geneds my first semester.

The rest of my classes were all music, for the most part...Piano I and II, Theory I and II, Ear training I and II, 2 semesters of clarinet lessons, concert band, and 6 hours I can't remember what they were...they might have been gen-eds
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

house
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:39 am

My first semester was B's C's and a W. You'll learn from your mistakes and get better gradually. Each year my GPA has gotten better and better despite more difficult classes.

Just a piece of advice, getting F's are a death sentence if you plan on going it any type of post-bacheulette or graduate school. If you think your going to fail or even get a D drop that class immedialtely. It won't affect you GPA and you won't have to explain anything to your advisors. Plus it gives you time to focus on you other class where you have a chance in.

Klyith

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:35 pm

Splinter wrote:
In highschool because the work was so easy I never learned basic skills, like how to learn things you dont already know.
Yup yup yup.

Plus I had a bunch of friends for the first time in my life. In HS I was in a small school, and my grade had a high percentage of jocks and stoners. I had two close friends, and one of them would ditch us whenever there was the possibility that he could hang with the cooler guys. It was very difficult to get work done when there was always something else to do.

Action Jim
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:25 pm

Don't remember what my grades were. I know my classes were:

History of the Russian Revolution
Political Science 101
Chemistry 101
Spanish 101

And they all sucked. It was like H.S. part 2 for me, since I lived at home, had to commute to school and work at the same job I worked at in H.S. Not much of a change in lifestyle, except for the difference in commuting time (3 minute walk vs. a hour drive to and from downtown during Chicago rush hour).
Good bye everyone.

mac_h8r1

Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:43 pm

F#Ck!!!!!

It's official :oops:

[email protected]
More options 6:31am (4 hours ago)

SUBJECT: Academic Probation Status and Grades for FALL quarter 2004.

This is Official Notification that you are on Academic Probation for
the FALL quarter 2004. You may review your final grades for this
quarter at: http://my.calpoly.edu

If you have questions, Please contact your College/Department advisor.

-- Office of Academic Records, Cal Poly, SLO 12/17/2004

***** Please DO NOT REPLY to this email *****
===========================================================================

Personally, I don't mind. This coming quarter I have difficult classes, meaning I'm actually going to be busting my ass from day 1. I just hope my parents don't mind. In the illustrious words of many: "school gets in the way of college" :lol:
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:09 pm

My first year i ended up with a 3.2 (o calc how i hate thee, stupid C-'s). Fast forward to today and going into my last semester i have a 3.226 but am still waiting for a few grades from this past semester...i figure i will have a 3.228 if i get what i think i will.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:10 pm

Ouch, that sucks mac. Study hard!

mac_h8r1

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:12 pm

Yeah, that's the plan. I'm kinda hoping they stick to their word, 'cause it says I'm on AP for Fall Quarter 2004. Which means that as of Jan. 2, I'm NOT on AP 8)
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:21 pm

I ended up .001 above what I needed to keep my scholarships. As much much crap as fraternities get, mine was the only reason I got that high of a GPA. I didn't know how to study in college either. Depending on how bad your semester was, you might look into whether your university offers academic bankruptcy for a semester. Best of luck next semester.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:27 pm

I had a roommate that went on academic probation every other semester. One semester he would take all hard classes then end up on probation. Next semester he would take all easy classes and just slack off.

Seemed to work for him though.

My first semester I busted my butt and got B's and C's. The next semester I slacked. Working 40+ hours a week and drinking. I still managed to get all B's and C's. You can imagine how the rest of the years went from there. :wink:
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

paco

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:28 pm

house wrote:
Just a piece of advice, getting F's are a death sentence if you plan on going it any type of post-bacheulette or graduate school. If you think your going to fail or even get a D drop that class immedialtely. It won't affect you GPA and you won't have to explain anything to your advisors. Plus it gives you time to focus on you other class where you have a chance in.

Actaully I heard at my JC college, if you get an D or F you can get those changed if you retake the class. It's totally erased off your record. If you drop the class there is a mark on your record that is not ablet to be removed.

As for my first semester it not over yet!!!. I still got to get some papers written due tuesday, which I'm "doing right now", then I'll get my grades some time in Jan. i think.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:01 pm

paco wrote:

Actaully I heard at my JC college, if you get an D or F you can get those changed if you retake the class. It's totally erased off your record. If you drop the class there is a mark on your record that is not ablet to be removed.

That's just for common core classes, I believe. If it's a class you need for your major, it stays with you.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:03 pm

I ran straight C's because I slept in all the time and read books during class. Once I decided school was useful for a "job," I got straight A's. It took a while to come to that realization.

ozymandias
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:20 pm

Am a Belgian... so different system. During the first year, I pretty much occupied myself 8hrs a day either studying or going to classes. The result was pretty good (would be MUCH better if it wasn't for physiology and physics, my only non B or A courses :cry: )

At the end of the first year I got myself 77.54% - which is worth 2 degrees at my university (called "great distincion" - nice name, doesn't mean anything though. They just count it as 2 degrees. (0 - satisfactory, 1 -distinction, 2 - great distinction, 3 - greatest distinction. 3 and a bit of personal pleasure: greatest distinction with the wishes of the jury (which means they come and congratulate you personally with your result. Very rare thing to encounter, and quite funny to see (technically unable to get it - too dumb, too lazy)).

Gradually, I started doing less. At the moment, I do nothing :lol: . Unfortunately, lost my degrees and fell by 15%

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:07 pm

Well I just got the official word from the Academic Advisor for my faculty

I will NOT get kicked out of the school as long as I can pull it together next semester.

Next semester I have much easier classes (Math 101, Math 221, Physics 108, Philosophy 125, Eng 112 vs last semester (Phys 200, Astro 201, Eng 110, Chem 111)

And Im working at my job a lot less.

Plus I think I've had exactly the kick in the ass I needed to get things together.

As for dropping classes... by the time I realized I was going to fail, you could no longer drop.

Oh, about 1200mhz.