Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:01 am

I predict Adama will die.
Network theory sucks.

pyrodeus
Maximum Gerbil

Re: battlestar Galactica

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:52 pm

StrangeDay wrote:
Well, last night's episode was disappointingly slow. With only a handfull of episodes left, I expected a lot more plot movement.

I don't disagree, but I am torn on the episode. On the one hand, the gritty realism that show looks for more or less demands an episode showing people wallowing in their own misery, because the great hope of humanity was just shown to be a pipe dream. If anything, I think they needed more suicides and murders after that. On the other hand, watching people wail and gnash their teeth is not very cinematic.

As for new conflicts, even season seems to have both its own arc and a broader plot arc, so I am unsurprised that the final season will as well. I don't think the new plot arc is entirely satisfying, but I suppose I will wait and see. It seems to me though, that many of the "new" issues are really the same issues that arose in respect of Athena/Sharon Agathon, and those were resolved. So the new issue is more one of scale. Second, they seem to be forgetting the "All this has happened before/All this will happen again" premise. If the thirteenth tribe that left Kobol was cylon, then it makes sense that remaining humans will team up with cylons before settling down on some "New Kobol" somewhere.

I just hope they answer a few more questions about what happened to Starbuck, as I am presently holding my nose over that storyline. Even if she is cylon, how did her cockpit make it to Earth? If she's not cylon, who was in that cockpit? Also they had better do something more with the 5th Earth cylon, as "Ellen was the fifth, but now she's dead" sucks. That's like telling someone "For your birthday, I baked you a cake as a gift; but it spoiled, so I threw it out. Happy Birthday! Do you like my gift?" I assume something more will be done on that front.
For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world islanded in its stream of stars—pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time.
--Henry Beston, The Outermost House

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm

I've seen every episode, but haven't really been a rabid fan. So maybe I just dont get it...but..how can the dead earthlings have been "cylons?" Aren't Cylons machines made by humanity...the whole "there are many copies," and "they cannot breed" (because they're machines). If the dead "people" on Earth are Cylons, then what exactly defines a "Cylon?" How did the "human looking" Cylons come about anyway?
Or, is that the whole point of this - that being "Cylon" is defined more by some kind of group consciousness moreso than those other "superficial" qualities? Am I missing something?
And, as for Kara, I am wondering if she will end up being neither fully human nor fully cylon (the "something else entirely" option, if you will).

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:59 pm

Quite a spoiler in that preview at the end.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 am

Last nights episode was weird, but good. I think.

StrangeDay

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:32 am

pyrodeus wrote:
StrangeDay wrote:
Well, last night's episode was disappointingly slow. With only a handfull of episodes left, I expected a lot more plot movement.

I don't disagree, but I am torn on the episode. On the one hand, the gritty realism that show looks for more or less demands an episode showing people wallowing in their own misery, because the great hope of humanity was just shown to be a pipe dream. If anything, I think they needed more suicides and murders after that. On the other hand, watching people wail and gnash their teeth is not very cinematic.

After seeing last night's episode, I feel much better about the previous one. It's interesting to see this as a continuing breakdown of morale and confidence in the fleet.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Airlock, meet Felix. Felix, meet the airlock. Zarek too.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Gaeta has made so many mistakes, but this is his biggest. In the end it will all work out though... just not as he imagined.

Saribro
Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Right, another conspiracy, some more backstabbing, some more general hypocrisy, etc etc...
I think I'll stop bothering with BG.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:07 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Faceless Clock
Gerbil

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:16 pm

I love this season so far. Everything is falling apart. Sure, they just got the Galactica back. That doesn't change the fact that they have no clue where to go, everyone is suicidal, half the fleet doesn't trust the other, and no one has a clue who they are or what they need to do to make sense of what has become of their lives. It is tragic as hell, but the story is being brilliantly told, with a lot of props given to the well-written characters who are now being torn apart at the seems.

My question for the next episode: What was that rip on the inside of the Galactica in the FTL engine room? Some form of sabotage? Has the thousands of jumps and numerous nuke hits taken their toll on the ship? It would not surprise me if the Galactica was revealed to be on its last legs sometime in the future.
http://www.smidgenpc.com/ - Smidgen PC. Offering big news about tiny PCs.

Faceless Clock
Gerbil

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Turkina wrote:
I've seen every episode, but haven't really been a rabid fan. So maybe I just dont get it...but..how can the dead earthlings have been "cylons?" Aren't Cylons machines made by humanity...the whole "there are many copies," and "they cannot breed" (because they're machines). If the dead "people" on Earth are Cylons, then what exactly defines a "Cylon?" How did the "human looking" Cylons come about anyway?
Or, is that the whole point of this - that being "Cylon" is defined more by some kind of group consciousness moreso than those other "superficial" qualities? Am I missing something?
And, as for Kara, I am wondering if she will end up being neither fully human nor fully cylon (the "something else entirely" option, if you will).

I think that the analysis of what it means to create a machine with human intelligence has been a central part of the show. And I think the show has sort of been arguing that the creation of an artificial intelligence by a humanity will eventually become nearly indistinguishable from "real" humans, perhaps because humans don't know how to make any other form of intelligence than one that mirrors our own.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 pm

I liked last nights episode. Well done.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Faceless Clock wrote:
My question for the next episode: What was that rip on the inside of the Galactica in the FTL engine room? Some form of sabotage? Has the thousands of jumps and numerous nuke hits taken their toll on the ship? It would not surprise me if the Galactica was revealed to be on its last legs sometime in the future.

That was my impression as well - remember, the galactica was old when the series began, tool. This would kind of give a "purpose" (story-arc-wise) to the rebellion - they discovered the damage in time to save the ship.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 am

idchafee wrote:
Airlock, meet Felix. Felix, meet the airlock. Zarek too.

Heh, QTF!

StrangeDay

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:09 am

Did everyone get all that? I feel like I have to watch it again. :o

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:17 am

StrangeDay wrote:
Did everyone get all that? I feel like I have to watch it again. :o

I get a lot of it, but I was scrambling at the beginning and didn't catch everything with Sam. There was a lot of info in that episode.

I don't like how they call the final 5 the final 5 when they are really the first five and they all know it.

Faceless Clock
Gerbil

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:46 pm

So, the Galactica is going to be reinforced with Cylon tech. I kinda saw that coming (I thought they'd eventually get rid of Galactica and replace it with the base ship as the only combat ship in the fleet). Their solution is better and still reinforces that being Human or Cylon is being to matter less and less.

Decent episode. A lot of lore, kind of boring in that aspect. Interesting where they are going with this "This has all happened before and will happen again" theme. I REALLY liked the clips from the first Cylon war in the beginning. Its kind of like a preview of Caprica.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 am

I wish Anders would just die already.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:15 pm

idchafee wrote:
I wish Anders would just die already.
I've been wishing that since the beginning of Season 3. He used to be a cool character, back before he became an emo/whiny little Cylon bitch.

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:42 pm

StrangeDay wrote:

Just curious-how many episodes are left?
"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:36 pm

http://io9.com/5154008/battlestar-galactica-gives-full+frontal-exposition

This link has a decent break down of all the info tossed around in the last episode. Still kind of confusing though.
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

Faceless Clock
Gerbil

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am

Four now.

It was kinda slow. Interesting though. I see Ellen hasn't changed one bit. I wouldn't true her any more then I'd trust a number one.

StrangeDay

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Faceless Clock wrote:
Four now.

It was kinda slow. Interesting though. I see Ellen hasn't changed one bit. I wouldn't true her any more then I'd trust a number one.

It was kinda slow. I know they have to do a lot of explaining, and resolve a massive load of dramatic what-nots before the end, but I just get the feeling this is being dragged out.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:41 pm

neg

Faceless Clock
Gerbil

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:40 pm

clone wrote:

I don't believe they found earth.... I'm not sure it will be explored but they never showed earth they just showed a planet with lots of obscuring clouds the former cylons called earth..... somebody attacked that planet leaving 5 survivors who went off to the former colonies so where are the winners?

What are you on about? Its a FICTIONAL UNIVERSE. They found earth if they say they found earth. Did you expect to one day hear NASA announce that a fleet of unknown vessels had just jumped into orbit?

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Faceless Clock wrote:
clone wrote:

I don't believe they found earth.... I'm not sure it will be explored but they never showed earth they just showed a planet with lots of obscuring clouds the former cylons called earth..... somebody attacked that planet leaving 5 survivors who went off to the former colonies so where are the winners?

What are you on about? Its a FICTIONAL UNIVERSE. They found earth if they say they found earth. Did you expect to one day hear NASA announce that a fleet of unknown vessels had just jumped into orbit?

Lol. That would be something!

Common Sensei
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:29 am

Faceless Clock wrote:
clone wrote:

How do you know its fiction? Maybe it's prophesy.
Wandering in a vast forest at night, I have only a faint light to guide me. A stranger appears and says to me: 'My friend, you should blow out your candle in order to find your way more clearly.' The stranger is a theologian.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:44 am

clone wrote:
somebody attacked that planet leaving 5 survivors who went off to the former colonies so where are the winners?

I thought they said that they destroyed each other?

clone
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

neg