Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

AmishRakeFight
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 12, 2005 4:11 pm

I don't remember much of the experience, but from what I was told I came out of the surgery and was still high and I started hitting on the girl that moved me to the waiting area (I went to highschool with her a few years earlier). I spent the next 3 days on the couch taking my pain medicine and watching Dr. Who (which I think makes a lot more sense when you're stoned)

While you're waiting for your mouth to heal don't eat stuff that's gonna get stuck down in the holes and make sure you keep your gause clean to avoid that 'dry socket'. Lots of chicken broth, slim fast or ensure shakes and stuff like that till they are healed. no sweat!
lookin at a thing in a bag.

David
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 12, 2005 4:48 pm

I opted for the gas. I didn't feel anything, and I didn't care about anything. It was nice.

Afterwards, don't eat anything that will get stuck in the socket; don't tongue the socket. They'll give you pamphlet with info on what to eat and drink. You'll have to change the gauze alot.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

shaihulud
Gerbil

Thu May 12, 2005 5:33 pm

4 years dental experience here, if you would like my opinion. seems little, i know, but i am told that i am great, and none have left me, but i have left them. back into computers. why you might ask? i disliked the fact that i am young (32), and almost all the patients have hepatitis(x). after the fist HIV+ patient i said, forget it.

if i understand some of what i read, you are saying that they have not erupted, so they are submerged? no angular impaction, nor horizontal impaction? is this the mandibular, or maxillary? i am sure it is both and only one section of the jaw is getting his attention. if i can see an radiograph-i can tell you all!

personal opinion, get them out, as one person has mention-he did not realize how much of a pussy he was looking back. i had mine out, and was eating hambugers the next day. i was 16 and never look back at it as a bad experience. oh, by the way, when i say "them" i mean all 4.

dont get gas, go under-its the best! if that is death, then i for not. if lidocaine will do the job, then gas is good, just makes you compliant, thats all

note to all-doesnt matter what it is, food will accumulate in the socket. the trick is keeping a clean mouth. brush and floss. dont suck through a straw, spit, smoke-the biggest no no's. if you have a dry socket it could because of the no no's or you did not produce enough hem at the extraction site.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 12, 2005 6:12 pm

and almost all the patients have hepatitis

Uhh? There can't be that many people with hepatitis out there.

As for me I need my bottom ones out. My top teeth always had kind of a gap so I am glad they came in. My bottom row is getting too tight so I will have to get them out before it starts messing up my front teeth.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu May 12, 2005 7:12 pm

"Dont tounge the socket" :o ...sexual connetations will get you far young man...

Better to go with novacaine or a local than the gas...less pain and bs the next day.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

sluggo
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 12, 2005 7:28 pm

I had 4, all of which required dynamite. I went under and woke up briefly during the process to the sound of jackhammers and the oral surgeon saying "more drip please". When I woke up after I was on a table in a darkened room, alone, with a mouthful of bloody gauze and no idea how I got there. I was really very scared until I walked out of the room and then remembered what had happened.

If you have deep extraction there will be a significant crater in your gums. Ask the surgeon to give you an irrigator (plastic syringe with a 90 degree bend) to help get the big macs out.

Ramen is your friend.

sluggo

house
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 12, 2005 7:56 pm

After getting your narcotic pain killers keep going back to the dentist saying they aren't working well or their making your stomach hurt. He'll keep prescribing about 2-3 more bottles before he catches on. Next have a good time with your leftovers :lol:

David
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 12, 2005 8:03 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
"Dont tounge the socket" :o ...sexual connetations will get you far young man...

hah...I liked the phrasing.

I got novocain along with the gas. That's definitely the way to go.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 12, 2005 10:48 pm

I had all four out, plus two root canals, about a year and a half ago. It's not a big deal. I would opt for general, not local, anesthesia, but that's because I hate to watch surgery. Don't expect to eat much for a day or so while your mouth heals, and be prepared to change some cotton wadding out every few hours. It's not not really bad though; didn't use any pain pills, didn't need them. Within three days, I really couldn't tell I'd had anything done.
Hell, I was back at work the next day. Expect to swallow some blood btw, it'll make you queasy. Which makes not being able to eat easier ;).
Be absolutely sure to clean out your mouth every few hours like the doctor says; I've heard from people who got infected, and it sounds miserable, but if you avoid that, not a big deal.
It's really not bad, IHMO.

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 12, 2005 11:37 pm

The dentist actually had to climb in my lap,
have the (lovely) hygenist hold my head while he leaned back
with as much force as he could muster, and pop!
This took about 20 minutes.

However, the Vicodin/Valium blend helped quite a bit.
Not hardly any pain afterward.
The doc had to see his chiropractor, though. :D

shaihulud
Gerbil

Thu May 12, 2005 11:45 pm

Uhh? There can't be that many people with hepatitis out there
yes, there is, and that is if they know, and they mark it on the chart! i do not know if you are familiar with the 9/11 situation, but also the misleading situation with HIV. HIV is mainly a problem in third world nations, e.g. africa. although, an issue in all nations, it is not an epidemic as HEP is everywhere. matter of fact, HEP is more of an issue world wide, and many doctors have been trying to destroy this disconcerting education of HIV, and push HEP.

you have to remember that HEP is spread, depending on the type, fecal, food, blood, sex. one of the most common is HEP A, which is fecal and food. think about how often you have a chance to be infected, cause you eat very often. during 9/11 when many donated blood, a lot of them found out that they have HEP. an alarming amount, as i found out also. one major issue with HEP, even with viralcidal agents it can live for a long time on many surfaces. HIV, give it a few seconds, all documents state 1 minute,and it is dead. HEP can live on a counter top for months-MONTHS. even with a very clean office, and effective cleaning assistants.

honestly, both are bad, and i wish many have had the education with certain viruses and bacteria that i have had. it is not the we need to wash our hands crap, that is bull. well, we need to wash our hand, but using anti's in such a manner only makes things worse, and soap is naturally anti-bacterial, and microbial. but we all need to learn a bit more biology, so we know when to go to a doctor. many people spread diseases and dont know it-its horrible. all due to the fact that they dont like, scared, or dont know.

btw - my 3rd molars were horizontally impacted, and submerged. to extract them, bone had to be chiseled and then the teeth broken into segments for removal. i was eating hamburgers the next day! however, do not expect your experience to be the same as mine. but this is a fact: if you are a canidate for removal and do not remove your wisdom teeth you can have more of an issue and pain down the road. it can increase heart disease and periodontitis, if not removed.

the best was one patient, he did not want to remove the third molars. advised many times to do so. finally the a 3rd molar moved to cause re-absorbtion of a 2nd molar, as if it was a pedodontic tooth exfoliating. he was in such pain, radiograph revealed what i just said. he needed to extract not only the 3rd but the 2nd molar that has been effected. 5 teeth total, and one of them was a perfectly fine tooth, except he waited defecting it. interesting is it not?

btw - they never use novacaine anymore, made people sick. the most common is lidocaine, if you want a vasoconstrictor. saying novacaine, usally shows the age of the patient!

ask me, away! i love answering dental questions! root canal questions are always good-a lot of false assumptions floating around RCT's.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 13, 2005 8:29 am

Hmm, around here HEP arent that common at all, although we do take care to innoculate ourself when traveling abroad. Usually a Twinrix Hep A+B three stage thing. 2 shots a month apart some time before the trip, then a third 4-5 months after the trip for a lasting effect.

do not expect your experience to be the same as mine
he, thats the good one. Ive been on both sides of the fence. Both were horsiontal and extremely close to the tooth in front, sitting under the flesh. The first was a total bitch(testamoni in my other post in the thread) and had me eating gruel for three days, the second was fine and i could eat the same evening.

Magnus
Gerbil XP

Fri May 13, 2005 9:14 am

I got mine done because i was still covered under insurance when i was 19. I remember sitting down, getting anaesthitised, then i have a vivid dream of my head being jerked upwards. Apparently the suckers were in there and mucho pulling was needed. The whole process felt like it was 2 minutes.

I went home, fell right to sleep and woke to find i had drooled a bit on my pillow and it had a bit of blood in it....so i had a stained pillow. By the next day, i had no pain and just had to make sure i didnt break the stitches or get anything in the sockets.

My brother on the otherhand...when he got his done, he asked the nurse if she touched his penis while he was unconscious.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2005 9:57 am

Well, thanks for the scary stories guys :wink:

Mine are fully grown out and not growing at wierd angles or anything, so I am hoping that helps matters a bit. I just hope I do not do or say anything embarrassing while I am under the influence.

Two hours to go.

shaihulud
Gerbil

Fri May 13, 2005 1:29 pm

Hmm, around here HEP arent that common at all, although we do take care to innoculate ourself when traveling abroad. Usually a Twinrix Hep A+B three stage thing. 2 shots a month apart some time before the trip, then a third 4-5 months after the trip for a lasting effect.
remember it goes to HEP G. i think there are more variants of the virus-been a while. one patient i had was HEP E. remember just because you innoculate, dosent mean that you render the ability of the virus to replicate into you inefective. it is only a preventor.

trust me, there is nothing like dental pain. if you dont get them out, if they are a canidate for removal, you can really suffer more than what medicine can ease. trust me, i have seen it so many times, that it made people cry with pain. they wanted to die for they could not eat, sleep, even just carry on every day work. if you go septic, it can be even worse. i have seen poeple with half a face swollen.

this is an example of what can happen: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/prospe ... l-xray.jpg

the second molar is going to need a root canal, if the patient wishes to save it. looks like he has some localized perio between #17 to #20. note also 1st molar may need an endo, and there is an incipient lesion (DO). some nasty bone loss.

any questions!!!?

frogsnout
Gerbil

Fri May 13, 2005 2:12 pm

My advice:
1) The gas is good. It makes the whole process rather amusing.
2) Take over-the-counter pain medication and save the good drugs until you feel better. They are fun.*

* Note: This post is for entertainment purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice. Opiates are addictive. Drugs can have a negative effect on you and your future.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri May 13, 2005 2:16 pm

The gas is definitely good. I went on a bit of a rampage in the office room, loudly deriding the magazines as "decadent trash" and flinging them around. Good thing they don't let you drive home :o

But as for pain mine really wasn't bad.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 13, 2005 2:38 pm

I had all four removed, the put me under, I woke up later with a lot of gause and blood. Not major pain, and just some swelling and soreness for a day or two.

However I developed a dry-socket in one spot about 5-6 days later. I had a lot of pain there. Surgeon looks at it, tells me what happened. It is where the gum has not formed a proper clot to heal itself.

Me: "So what do we do about it?"

Dr: "Well I have to put an artifical one in."

Me: "How?"

Dr: "Well I am going to wad up some gause and place it in the hole to act as a clot until the gum heals."

Me: "ok, is this going to hurt?"

Dr: "Oh yes."

I kid you not he said that. Dead straight faced. And when he jammed that crap down in there I still cannot, to this day, figure out how I managed to NOT bite is fingers off. You have to remember he is cramming it all the way down to the bone.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Stripe7
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 13, 2005 3:04 pm

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled in one operation when I was in my early 20's. They put me down with an injection of pentathol I think. I passed out quick and they operated. I found out later from my mom that they were a heartbeat away from calling for an ambulance. The wound would not clot up for a long time they had a real hard time stopping the blood flow. I lost a lot of blood I think before my body clamped down on those blood vessels. I was fine walking about for 2 days after that. However I have no memory of what happened during those 2 day.

shaihulud
Gerbil

Fri May 13, 2005 4:16 pm

The wound would not clot up for a long time they had a real hard time stopping the blood flow
you didnt have some pre-exhisting condition? to be hemorrhagic, sounds like you may have some difficiency-have you been tested blood wise? possible hemophillia? were you taking certain medications that could have caused this? blood thinners, aspirin, etc.?

I lost a lot of blood I think before my body clamped down on those blood vessels
this is called SHOCK! is this what you mean?

there is a lot of notes about bleeding. i remember having work done on myself and not liking the way my mouth was. i made sure that the patients mouth was clean, moist, and free of HEM. specially with periodontitis, blood would poor from extraction sites. i had vaccums right on the site to prevent tasting, and filling of the mouth. i hated watching some doctors not care so much. i always made sure my area was clean, and nominal, so the patient didnt feel uncomfortable.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 13, 2005 5:21 pm

remember it goes to HEP G. i think there are more variants of the virus-been a while. one patient i had was HEP E. remember just because you innoculate, dosent mean that you render the ability of the virus to replicate into you inefective. it is only a preventor.
Yeah, i know, but the other version except A and B are quite uncommon around here. Depending on how you see it.

The largest outbreak to this day of known record in this country is back in 1955 with 600 cases at one time. Although we have what, 1200-2000 cases a year with Hep B and C each where 5/10 to 9/10 has gotten it when on vacation outside the country. Hep A has a total of about a hundred cases. And for the rest, they are all below 5. or has been zero the last years.

And yeah, its pretty neat. All the statitics are public domain accessible via the net for a certain list of diseases thats is so severe there is some measures against it if you have it and dont report it. Although there are probably some dark-spots, but if theyve been to a hospitol or gotten it threated, its there.

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Fri May 13, 2005 5:52 pm

I had 4 impacted widsom teeth removed at one time. Two were really stubborn and needed to be cut in half for removal. It was an interesting scene.

Because I went to the dental school, they could only give me a 10mg valium and novacaine. No gas and no general anesthesia. I don't complain much and the doctor was a friend that I hadn't seen for a while, so I almost enjoyed myself.

The only bad part was about 1hour after the procedure when the novacaine was wearing off and I was still on my way to the drug store to get my pain reliever. Luckily, I had insisted that the dentist call in my prescription, so the pills were ready. Waiting any longer would have driven me to start drinking vodka.

So, it won't be too bad, but I highly recommend having your pain pills on hand or insist that someone call in your prescription.

Good luck.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2005 10:08 pm

Well, it is done! They gave me some gas, followed by an IV that knocked me completely out. Went to sleep and was missing a tooth when I woke up. I thougth the doctor and I had agreed to remove both wisdom teeth at the bottom, but he only removed one. Not sure why he did that.

Cam home, fell straight in to bed. WOke up, and I had some blood drooling out of my mouth on to the pillow. Had some orange jiuce, took a painkiller and antibiotic and went back to sleep. Pain has gotten better now, probably will take another pian killer before I go back to sleep.

One thing is though - I am freaking freezing! It is 77 degrees in the room according to me handy thermo clock, and I am freezing, like I have a fever. Hopefully that will go away.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri May 13, 2005 10:31 pm

It's likely mild shock, or the aftereffects of same.

shaihulud
Gerbil

Sat May 14, 2005 7:55 am

Well, it is done! They gave me some gas, followed by an IV that knocked me completely out.
goign under is a neat feeling inst it? remember what i said? it is a peaceful feeling is it not?

I thougth the doctor and I had agreed to remove both wisdom teeth at the bottom, but he only removed one. Not sure why he did that.
to close to the nerve? waiting for it to erupt some more perhaps? that is usually the reasoning. so, it was mandubular. curious about your maxillary 3rd molars.

Cam home, fell straight in to bed. WOke up, and I had some blood drooling out of my mouth on to the pillow. Had some orange jiuce, took a painkiller and antibiotic and went back to sleep. Pain has gotten better now, probably will take another pian killer before I go back to sleep.
take your meds, and follow post op. be a good patient!

One thing is though - I am freaking freezing! It is 77 degrees in the room according to me handy thermo clock, and I am freezing, like I have a fever. Hopefully that will go away.
it is normal to have a slight fever after an extraction. one of the best fever reducers is tylenol. sometimes tylenol and ibuprofen are mixed to give a broad fever reducer. ask you pharmacist before you mix any medications, and the dosage he recommends.

And yeah, its pretty neat. All the statitics are public domain accessible via the net for a certain list of diseases thats is so severe there is some measures against it if you have it and dont report it. Although, there are probably some dark-spots, but if theyve been to a hospitol or gotten it threated, its there.
you nailed it right here. the statistics are public, if it has been recorded, detected. this was the was the reasoning behind "universal contamination." you never know and be preventative. doesnt take a a idiot to figure that out! with denistry there is a lot of blood contact. much is forced out due to the istrumentation used. add the frequency in which i have seen, and i am glad i left. although, i can pick it up easily anywhere else, i am not around it every day, which i was.

remember, the 9/11 incident in which i spoke about? how the many that donated blood, found out that they had hepatitis? kind of interesting, that they talk it down. the article that i read in time periodical was more informative on the 9/11 subject matter. later, time released an informative article about HEP. this is after when pam anderson went public with it. however, before all this i had knowledge, and was reconsidering my profession, due to communicable diseases, and other reasons.

The influx of new donors was accompanied by a tripling in the number of blood units infected with potentially serious microbes, including HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B. Almost all the increase was due to more detection of hepatitis C, a potentially deadly liver virus. Yet the researchers say this increase wasn't significant and didn't threaten the safety of the blood supply. Nor was it the result of a surge in risky donors, but rather reflected having so many more people willing to give blood.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 9:48 am

shaihulud:

I only have to wisdom teeth - both on the lower jaw, one on each side. No wisdom teeth up top. He only took out the bottom left wisdom tooth - I was under the impression that he would be taking out both.

I have only had bacteria infections (twice now in six months) on the side where he took out the wisdom tooth. No problems on the other side - may be that is why he did not take that one out.

One more question - doctor prescribed me cephalexin and oxycodone. Taken both twice now, and both time has made me itch like crazy all over my body. Any ideas why?

shaihulud
Gerbil

Sat May 14, 2005 4:55 pm

ghandi,

you only have half the amount of 3rd molars? half evolved, eh!?!

it is strange that he has said a bacterial infection. really it is ambiguous to me, for the mouth is a cesspool. cavities come from the fermentation of a few paticular bacteria strands that live in the mouth. periodontitis (gum disease) is an auto-immune response triggerd from the accumulation of bacteria. when a patient elects not to do a root canal and an extraction is performed, a bacteria cyst may be attached at the apex of the root(s). so, i have no idea what HE wanted to do, and what he means by this infection.

cephalexin is an anitbiotic (good for bone infections), which can be scary if you had itching. if you did not say oxycodone was included, you would be having an allergic reaction to cephalexin, and would need to stop taking it immediately! monitor your intake, for you never know. however, a common reaction with oxycodone is itching. it is really stange how the receptors work with oxy, and hard to explain. it would be better and more professional if i had my pharmacist friend explained, so i will try what i can. it has to do with the receptors receiving a certain amount of pain and what oxy covers on the receptors. those with more pain, like a cancer patient, do not have the itchy symptoms. interesting is it not? you may want to advise the doctor of your reaction, and check about taking ibuprofen.

primitive.notion
Gerbil XP

Sat May 14, 2005 5:22 pm

Be suspicious of any dentist who tells you, "your wisdom teeth are impacted, they need to come out." Get a second opinion. Get a third. Get a fourth.

In most cases, wisdom teeth removals are like tonsil-removals were in the '50s -- a useless and bloody training exercise for dentists.

I had 3 dentists insist I needed mine removed due to impaction back in my teens. My family dentist said, "no way, that's absolutely unnecessary."

Now over a decade later, my wisdom teeth are fine and I've never had a problem.

Anyone else have all 32 teeth?

shaihulud
Gerbil

Sat May 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Be suspicious of any dentist who tells you, "your wisdom teeth are impacted, they need to come out." Get a second opinion. Get a third. Get a fourth.
no, dentists will tell you if you need to have them extracted for a good reason. one, they are liable for your dental/medical care, and that means they can be sued for not saying so, or saying yes. second, with obvious concrete evidence, the jaw has reduced in size (reason for impaction), and the 3rd molars are not needed. they are not even used, and will only induce many complications depending on the patient and orientation of the teeth. for some patients there are no 3rd molars for they have evolved. the same is occuring with the intestinal tract and has reduced in size. this is what the appendix was about, and is non-existant in evovled patients.

In most cases, wisdom teeth removals are like tonsil-removals were in the '50s -- a useless and bloody training exercise for dentists.
a fallacy. did you go to medical school to profess this conclusion? i think not. so do not quote pseudo-science. tonsils, when not respsonsive to antibiotics, and are a canidate should be removed.

My family dentist said, "no way, that's absolutely unnecessary."
what is the context-you? as i said it will vary from patient to patient. there are many patients that did not have extractions, and were advised to keep them clean. however, some did not, and a root canal needed to be performed. so, you guessed it, extraction. you do not chew on these teeth, and they have no function-seriously. toothbrushes and patient articulation usually do not cover the occlusal portion of the second molar. lucky if a patient flosses once a month!

Now over a decade later, my wisdom teeth are fine and I've never had a problem.
so, the context was you. remember your anatomy and biology are completely different from everyone, even your childs, if you have one. although, similar, will not be like you at all. you can never assume in the medical world. spreading, mis-information is the worse disease of them all. assuming even kills people. you cover every base that can be-if you are a doctor!

Anyone else have all 32 teeth?
some people have more than 32. even some that have missing teeth making the count less than 32.

if this is you, then your doctor should be sued-unecessary, whatever (note, my post on this readiograph): http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/prospe ... l-xray.jpg

primitive.notion
Gerbil XP

Sat May 14, 2005 8:10 pm

... they are liable for your dental/medical care, and that means they can be sued for not saying so

How many people do you know that sue because their dentist <i>didn't</i> remove their wisdom teeth? Now compare that to the amount of people suing because the dentist screwed up the removal or removed the wrong tooth. Or the amount of people that sue after they find out the procedure was unnecessary.

... tonsils, when not respsonsive to antibiotics, and are a canidate should be removed.

Well, you would disagree with <a href="http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1997052803.shtml">Dr. Biavati</a>, who says "concerns remain about the potential for major complications such as breathing problems, bleeding, and dehydration after tonsillectomy."

And a "candidate?" What other candidates do you think should be removed more often than not? You've listed wisdom teeth, tonsils, and appendixes. How about foreskins?

[Wisdom teeth] are not even used, and will only induce many complications depending on the patient and orientation of the teeth.

In severe cases perhaps. But wisdom teeth can be useful --

"Wisdom teeth can take up the slack should other teeth fall out or need to be pulled -- as commonly happens as we age. And when a person needs a dental bridge, [Dr.] Bassiouny says, wisdom teeth provide an important anchor." - http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/105 ... nting=true

But isn't it normal for teens to have their wisdom teeth removed? Not to Bassiouny.

"It is a shame," Bassiouny tells WebMD. "It should not be considered that way. God gave us a full set of teeth. We should live with it."