Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden
Contact:

Sun May 15, 2005 8:46 am

Sounds like his teeth wasnt lying below the flesh gnawing forward into the teeth in front. I have my upper rear-molars left, but i had to take out one of the forepost teeth that was growing outside the normal raw. Some weird thing. Then i had to have surgury for the lower rear molars. They took em one at a time. The second was a breeze, but the first required about 50-60 minutes of surgury, had to be drilled into 4 pieces, and the gum-flesh had to be cut and folded out for them to get to it. That one was a bitch. I had prepared and ate gruel and icecream for 3-4 days. Then it took some months before the cavity was wholle grown together. So for quite a while i had to deal with constantly having a snack available from the former breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.
 
shaihulud
Gerbil
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:10 pm

Sun May 15, 2005 10:09 am

honestly, you would find out about it through the vendor channels, but never told from the doctor. board postings in a periodical will show complaints about the doctors that have been voiced against them.

Now compare that to the amount of people suing because the dentist screwed up the removal or removed the wrong tooth
this is why i make sure i have a good doctor. your relationship with your doctor is your prerogative. you should aways feel comfortable with them. my mother made sure i always had good, confident, and capable doctors. i still to this day follow this example. i always tell patients learn who your doctors are. as for the extraction of incorrect teeth, that could have easily been the one that marked the tooth for EXT rather than the one extracting. it can go both ways, unless the doctor was responsible for both.

Or the amount of people that sue after they find out the procedure was unnecessary.
as i have stated, there are patients who's mouths are large enough to host the 3rd molars-no need for extraction. but this is a very low percentage of the people. even by the radiograph i presented for you, it can easily be seen that the tooth is not properly align, has no room, has cause localized perio, and lesions to form on the second molar. this is an obvious candidate. debunking the doctor's general sweeping fallacy.

it is necessary every time is was advised. after such, the issue to comply with the advisory is the patient's responsibility, and noted in chart if lawsuit occurs. as i previously noted about one patient that did not want to extract his maxillary left third molar. 1 year later, he had unbearable pain, and made an appointment for examination. the radiograph showed re-absorption of the secondary molar roots in front of the 3rd molar trying to erupt. he lost a good tooth due to an "unnecessary procedure." in other words you cannot make a generalization of the procedure. you do not have the medical knowledge, and comprehension of dental anatomy!

there is a dentist in colorado that claims fluoride should not be administered at all. however, in colorado this can be understood to a degree, for colorado has more naturally occuring calcium and fluoride. it can be understood that the doctor may be trying to prevent fluorosis. but he claims that fluoride should not be administered to anyone. that it is unnecessary. again this is a generalization. fluoride is used to by the body to increase the strength of the skeletal system. teeth are bone and gain the benefit of hardness, becoming more resistant to the fermentation of bacteria. therefore lesions do not easily compromise the tooth. it can easily be deducted that fluoride is used by the body for a purpose, and to claim that ALL do not need it, that it is unecessary, is asinine
Well, you would disagree with Dr. Biavati, who says "concerns remain about the potential for major complications such as breathing problems, bleeding, and dehydration after tonsillectomy."
anything that is administered, a prescription for the patient, or a procedure done on the patient can, or will have side effects. some of these can be severe, or even adverse. his statements are general and non-conclusive. he is recognizing a possible pattern and issue. this is all empirical, and needs to be studied for scientific concrete data. it does not state that tonsillectomies should not be praticed. just a quick side note: did you know that you can have temporary or permanent paralysis due to a dental block? this is an injection given to the lower jaw.

"The group that we studied were children who were having their tonsils removed for breathing obstruction, snoring problems," Biavati explains. "It seems like we're doing less and less tonsillectomies for chronic tonsillitis (inflammation usually due to infection) and more and more for obstructed breathing."
adenoids mainly cause snoring, not tonsils. did you know that the salivary glands in the side of your cheecks is often removed by gp's? not knowing it is an enlarge salivary gland-perfectly nominal?

What other candidates do you think should be removed more often than not?
when i state "candidate," it is simply as so. in other words, when someone has chronic tonsillitis, appendicitis (have to remove or will die), impacted widom teeth. obvious clinical reasoning for the clinical procedure, is a candidate.

as for circumcision, that is in intersting topic. it is the wrong anatomical part for any of my input. however, i have been listening close to this subject, and this is one that can be argued, for there is some good evidence for contradiction.

i think dr. bassiouny article is being mis-comprehended by you. i find it interesting though, that if you are to use this for how i think you are, that you would rather argue against ortho treatment. due to the very fact that "good" teeth, perfectly functional teeth, are extracted to make for perfect occlusion.

"Wisdom teeth can take up the slack should other teeth fall out or need to be pulled -- as commonly happens as we age. And when a person needs a dental bridge, [Dr.] Bassiouny says, wisdom teeth provide an important anchor." -
sometimes, to make room, again i note the area to host the teeth, the second molars (maxillary and manidibular) are extracted. the thirds will take the place of the seconds. this is common with the size of some mouths.

But isn't it normal for teens to have their wisdom teeth removed
if they are a clinical candidate, yes. 3rds start to form around 12 years of age. it is always an approximate time, females form teeth sooner than males. around the age of 16 or more the full formation of the tooth can be expected. removing the teeth at a younger age , is better due to the highly resilient nature of adolescents, and the bone is softer, easiler to work with. note, the procedure will not be performed till the apex has been formed on the 3rd molar.

wisdom teeth provide an important anchor
if there are any teeth you NEVER want to lose, for THEY are the ANCHOR, it is the canines. the are the great anchors in dentistry. molars are not good anchors for the roots are not long. your canine root goes up to your nose, and can be felt if you rub by the side of the nostril.

"It is a shame," Bassiouny tells WebMD. "It should not be considered that way. God gave us a full set of teeth. We should live with it."
many would be dead living buy this ignorant, and asinine philosophy. god, gave you the appendix we should not remove it even though you have appendicitis. you will now die. nothing against god, but this is a fallacy.

Two dentists who spoke with WebMD agree that there's no reason to remove perfectly healthy wisdom teeth. Both agree that troublesome wisdom teeth should be removed
proof, of your perceptual connotation. you have been debunked.
 
Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:12 pm

Sun May 15, 2005 10:32 am

Well, i never had my full 32 set of teeth. My upper wisdom teeth do not exist! (DOes that make me more or less evolved) Only have two wisdom teeth at the bottom, one on each side, of which the one on the left side was removed. He did not remove the right bottom one. I am assuming that since I never had any problems or infections on the right sidem he left it as is and did not mess with it.

As for the itching, I have a feeling it has to do with the pain killers. I took the anitibacterial this morning, and no itching at all. However, everytime I have taken the painkiller, I started to itch like crazy about half hour later. I will call up the doc's office tomorrow and try to get an idea on the itching as well as why he did not take the other tooth out.
 
primitive.notion
Gerbil XP
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun May 05, 2002 3:02 pm

Sun May 15, 2005 11:20 am

"The group that we studied were children who were having their tonsils removed for breathing obstruction, snoring problems," Biavati explains. "It seems like we're doing less and less tonsillectomies for chronic tonsillitis (inflammation usually due to infection) and more and more for obstructed breathing."
adenoids mainly cause snoring, not tonsils.


Which is why I'm having trouble figuring out why doctors are so eager to remove tonsils in snoring cases.

as for circumcision, that is in intersting topic. it is the wrong anatomical part for any of my input. however, i have been listening close to this subject, and this is one that can be argued, for there is some good evidence for contradiction.


If I interpret you correctly, I think you're saying you're not convinced circumcision is necessary. Good to hear.

if there are any teeth you NEVER want to lose, for THEY are the ANCHOR, it is the canines. the are the great anchors in dentistry. molars are not good anchors for the roots are not long. your canine root goes up to your nose, and can be felt if you rub by the side of the nostril.


Interesting.

it is necessary every time is was advised.


It sounds like you discount the possibility doctors could give mistaken advice.

Two dentists who spoke with WebMD agree that there's no reason to remove perfectly healthy wisdom teeth. Both agree that troublesome wisdom teeth should be removed
proof, of your perceptual connotation. you have been debunked.


The definition of troublesome varies. In my case, I had 3 dentists tell me my wisdom teeth should be removed due to impaction and they were all proven wrong.


In severe cases, such as the one you mentioned, it sounds like removal was the only way to go. But removal should be the exception, not the rule. Not a painful bloody rite for teens to be forced into because of dental fads.
 
shaihulud
Gerbil
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:10 pm

Sun May 15, 2005 12:37 pm

(DOes that make me more or less evolved)
unprofessionally speaking, i say your half-way there :)
Which is why I'm having trouble figuring out why doctors are so eager to remove tonsils in snoring cases.
not sure and i do not have the data for any reasoning, on the patients. however, i had mine out, and therefore i do not snore. it is on my "single" resume.

If I interpret you correctly, I think you're saying you're not convinced circumcision is necessary. Good to hear.
makes you wonder doesnt it? i am not one them "do it" types. there has to be reason, pure clinical reason.

It sounds like you discount the possibility doctors could give mistaken advice.
by all means, no. hard to comprehend in my posts, but i am talking from a clinical perspective, as if it is diagnosed and treatment exists for the very reason. dentistry is a set science, really. it does not complicate as intestinal does, for example. most of the science in dentistry is used to evolve instruments, and create preventative medicines.

The definition of troublesome varies. In my case, I had 3 dentists tell me my wisdom teeth should be removed due to impaction and they were all proven wrong.
can you post a radiograph? although, it will not give all necessary fields that needs to be examined, but should be enough to see what was disproven. you most likely, will not be able to, but you do have rights to your radiographs. many are apprehensive of dentist, it is easy to make a convert by saying no to a procedure they are scared about. seen it many times. 3rd molars are very common reaction, besides root canals. a patient may wish for extraction, instead of root canal, for they think these are always painful. can be, but not always the case, depends on the pathosis of the tooth.

But removal should be the exception, not the rule.
as i stated, if they are not a candidate, then by all means let them stay. it is simple as that. but the diagnosis can be complicated to describe without proper radiographs and pictures to show. these are good examples and reading:

http://www.dentalpath.com/dp/dp_t3.htm

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/wisdom_teeth.htm

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_te ... _tooth.htm

this one needed to be extracted long ago. now there is perio and a distal lesion on the second molar: http://www.eagleridgedental.com/images/cos_72b.jpg

extraction: http://www.hoburne-dental.co.uk/images/wisdom.jpg

on this 12yr old you can see the 3rds forming (the second is forming roots and the third is a circle pocket) they most likely will be a canidate not only for ortho, but also for 3rd EXT's.: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/dental/ortho/Xrays ... s/opg1.jpg

[panaramic] this one is tricky. these have room, however, note the root canals on the left side, which is right side of x-ray. these are distal cavities that formed due to the 3rd molars. the patient has room, not much as can be seen, but note that it is hard to keep past 2nd, yet alone the 2nd molar clean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray

i cannot find any pictures of a mouth that has room for 3rd molars. if you use the animated teeth website's first picture, as one, then it can be said that there is plenty of room. ideally this is the way it should be, but as you amy see by example and teh readiographs presented, it is not the case.
 
primitive.notion
Gerbil XP
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun May 05, 2002 3:02 pm

Sun May 15, 2005 5:25 pm

can you post a radiograph?


Will send you one if allowed. Have to make an appt. for a yearly checkup anyway. May take a few weeks or a month to get scheduled in.

many are apprehensive of dentist


Love going to mine. Always have. He's honest, very polite, and takes good care of my teeth. You can tell he really cares about his patients. A good Irishman.
 
Nikto
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

Sun May 15, 2005 5:52 pm

I wasnt very happy with my wisdom tooth experience. I had it done like 7 years ago and had to have all four taken out. I had them put me out. All I remember is count down from ten slowly. I remember getting to four and then waking up suddenly post op. My bottom two teeth were under bone (submerged?) so they had to cut away bone to get them out. This was the good part.

The bad part was the day after when I had a scraping pain against my tongue. The dentist had left a bone splinter still attached that was stabbing my tongue. I reached in and snapped it out (it was the size of half a toothpick). After that, the pain went away, but I had some kind of reaction to either the painkillers or all the blood I swallowed ot just op stress, but the back of my throat opened up. It's like when you bite your lip and it turns all white for a while and hurts and is swollen. Well, the back of my throat on and around my uvula opened up into an ulcer and lasted like that for 3 1/2 weeks. I couldn't eat anyhting hot or cold, because it hurt and the dentist wouldn't give me anything. I lost like 35 pounds. I hated it.
My Grandfather once told me "Never wrestle with a Pig; You'll get muddy, and the pig enjoys it".
 
shaihulud
Gerbil
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:10 pm

Mon May 16, 2005 9:45 am

Have to make an appt. for a yearly checkup anyway
yearly!!!!! it is every six months! but hey im not your doc :). you must have some excellent hygiene, and no pre-existing conditions! very few patients, count on one hand, out of the thousands that have excellent hygiene.

Love going to mine. Always have. He's honest, very polite, and takes good care of my teeth. You can tell he really cares about his patients. A good Irishman.
the most important part, the relationship you have with your doctor!




nikto
The dentist had left a bone splinter still attached that was stabbing my tongue.
yes, bone can be in the gingival tissue. after extraction it will start to exfoliate. there is even a bone file that is used to make sure there are no sharp edges after an extraction.

Well, the back of my throat on and around my uvula opened up into an ulcer and lasted like that for 3 1/2 weeks
curious, do you get canker sores, fever blisters (herpetic) any, or often? what about vitamin intake, and your diet?

I couldn't eat anyhting hot or cold, because it hurt and the dentist wouldn't give me anything
unless, it was herpetic, then he could not give anything. it could have been, possibly, a yeast infection. were you prescribed antibiotics? funny thing is, yogurt would have been good for that. many patients have issues with antibiotics, and this is reveresed with yogurt. however, this is only speculation, and i need more information.

I wasnt very happy with my wisdom tooth experience
im sorry you had one. it can be different for many people for many reasons. however, i can say this-there is nothing like the pain that could have been induced by your wisdom teeth. honestly, there is no pain like dental pain, that can from any tooth. you have experienced part of the reasons- cannot eat.
 
bramnation
Gerbil
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Staten Island
Contact:

Mon May 16, 2005 1:47 pm

Wisdom teeth removal is fairly routine and easy. The high percentages of post-operation infections that you read about are due to few bad dentists. Ask your dentist what his track record is. Most will say that they have never had a patient suffer infection. If your dentist has had post-operation infections more than once, watch out. Additionally, because this is a routine operation, the dentist working on you should have lots of experience. If he does not, he should be assisting the surgery, not performing it.

If there is any chance of the other teeth needing to come out EVER, get all four wisdom teeth out at once. You do not want to have to do this again. The pain varies from moderate to extreme, and it'll cost more to do it twice.

I was supposed to stay awake for my surgery, but somehow I had a reaction to NOx, so the dentist couldn't keep me awake. I am glad that they chose to change the drugs and put me to sleep. If you have the choice to go to sleep or to stay awake, you should get them to knock you out. There's little chance of complications on this operating table, so they don't really need you to stay awake. And, you can not see them operating on you, so it wouldn't be interesting to stay awake.

You will have a choice of drugs to take after the operation. Of course let your body be the guide, but there's no harm in taking the strongest drug home with you.

Stock up on icecream, oatmeal and other liquid foods. Yum! Also, get someone to drive you home from the OR.

Good luck!!!

Liz
You'll never see anything sadder than a mosquito sucking on a mummy. Awww, give it up lil' fellow.
 
primitive.notion
Gerbil XP
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun May 05, 2002 3:02 pm

Mon May 16, 2005 4:19 pm

funny thing is, yogurt would have been good for that. many patients have issues with antibiotics, and this is reveresed with yogurt.


Neat.

shaihulud wrote:
Have to make an appt. for a yearly checkup anyway
yearly!!!!! it is every six months! but hey im not your doc :). you must have some excellent hygiene, and no pre-existing conditions!


I know people who haven't gone for three years. But every 6 months, isn't that a bit of a ploy to make dentists money? Unless you have recurring problems I don't see why you need to go so often. As for hygiene, I used to not floss much but after a few rounds of cavities I floss every day, sometimes twice a day. My dentist has a sign up saying "Floss only the teeth you want to keep."
 
Nikto
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

Mon May 16, 2005 4:37 pm

yes, bone can be in the gingival tissue. after extraction it will start to exfoliate. there is even a bone file that is used to make sure there are no sharp edges after an extraction.

curious, do you get canker sores, fever blisters (herpetic) any, or often? what about vitamin intake, and your diet?

unless, it was herpetic, then he could not give anything. it could have been, possibly, a yeast infection. were you prescribed antibiotics? funny thing is, yogurt would have been good for that. many patients have issues with antibiotics, and this is reveresed with yogurt. however, this is only speculation, and i need more information.

I wasnt very happy with my wisdom tooth experience
im sorry you had one. it can be different for many people for many reasons. however, i can say this-there is nothing like the pain that could have been induced by your wisdom teeth. honestly, there is no pain like dental pain, that can from any tooth. you have experienced part of the reasons- cannot eat.


I don't get canker sores or cold sores. I do get mouth ulcers which my understanding were due to stress. My diet at the time probably was not great (a lot of fast food I'm sure). Vitamins were also not taken regualrly. I guess the odd thing was that it had never happened before that. I had bitten my lip before, but I'd never gotten a mouth ulcer in an out of tooth range area.

As for presciptions, I wasnt prescribed anti-biotics. The dentist suggested I take Ibuprofin. I honestly don't remember much of the conversation, but I'm sure I don't remember him saying it was herpetic. I've tended to get them when I'm stressed, so I'd figured it was stress related or posssibly an injury due to bone that I swallowed on accident. Perhaps another bone splinter I missed.

I don't remember eating yogurt, but it's a good thing to know. I ended up settling on lukewarm potato soup for most of the time.
My Grandfather once told me "Never wrestle with a Pig; You'll get muddy, and the pig enjoys it".
 
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden
Contact:

Mon May 16, 2005 7:22 pm

Yearly checkout is usually way more then enough for normal people unless they have something special and do take care of themselfs. And with the actual cost of a simple exam, not mentioning that any x-ray costs extra and if you actually do need work done, its costing a bundle and many people cant really afford anything major anymore, 6 month sounds a bit optimistic.

I myself or on a 1 to 1.5 years scedule depending on how i feel. Im actually due to take a checkup soon because i have a tiny cold-pain when i drink too cold things. As for normal holes, i havent had a single one in what, 12 years or so, although i get a tiny bit of stone that i have to take away regularly.
 
shaihulud
Gerbil
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:10 pm

Mon May 16, 2005 9:42 pm

man, some good ones here.....

Wisdom teeth removal is fairly routine and easy
i have worked in a lot of mouths over my four years. the only easy procedure, given nominal situations, is working on the central and lateral incisors. these are the maxillary (top) front teeth. every dentist fav to work on. dentist, and oral surgeons, do not like EXT's, for they are not easy. the expression hard as pulling teeth comes to mind.

Most will say that they have never had a patient suffer infection
there are many reason as to why an infection can occur. one as i was noting could be an antibiotic. which had nothing to do with the procedure, just consequently, the drugs prescribed.

Additionally, because this is a routine operation
it depends, if it is oral surgery it is not routine. ask their malpractice insurance company as to why. here is a hint: anesthesia. one note about anesthesia, it is more of an art than it is a science-scary isnt it! this is why anesthesiologist have one of the highest malpractice premiums.

the dentist working on you should have lots of experience. If he does not, he should be assisting the surgery, not performing it
i agree with this on many levels of execution, not just dentistry. however, i have seen even the most skilled not do so well. the curious question should be asked: how do we know what a good doctor is?

If there is any chance of the other teeth needing to come out EVER, get all four wisdom teeth out at once. You do not want to have to do this again. The pain varies from moderate to extreme, and it'll cost more to do it twice.
these are wise words, and definitely TRUE. dont let primitive know i said that! :) this is true seriously, get them all out at once. it is a blessing in disguise, if such a word can be used.
I was supposed to stay awake for my surgery, but somehow I had a reaction to NOx
N2O make you compliant, and therefore you can fall asleep. i had many people fall asleep on me while perfoming root canals. people are tired, and when they relax, they will fall asleep. only a few have during extractions.

If you have the choice to go to sleep or to stay awake, you should get them to knock you out
i concur. however, not many have gone under and they are apprehensive of it. i think it is an awesome feeling. does make the procedure(s) easier, since the muscles are relaxed. muscle as in tongue-its the strongest muscle in the body.

Of course let your body be the guide
partially, true. your doctor and your pharmacist should be advised of your conditions when taking medications-allergies are very important. your pharmacist is the most important-they are your last defense. as for your drug intake, that can be very personal. however, read the pharm of the drug there is a lot of information out there about a drug to make you aware of it, and judge accordingly.

Also, get someone to drive you home from the OR
you have to. not only against the law, but most are not even capable if they could.


primitive.notion

yogurt has many benefical attributes. poeple should comsume it more often!

But every 6 months, isn't that a bit of a ploy to make dentists money?
no, it can save people money! remember, many do not have great hygiene. periodontitis is the leading cause of tooth loss, not tooth decay. however, tooth decay is very common due to the sugars in our food. six months, can prevent a cavity in a soft tooth from becoming a root canal, core, crown. so lets see, 20 dollars usually out of pocket for an amalgam filling. ~750 root canal, ~100 for the core, and ~750 for the crown. because, the patient did not have 6mo check up. insurance pays for it, use it. those are usually free[checkups]. well, technically you paid for it, so you are losing money in your case!

Unless you have recurring problems
most do. i always thought that everyone had good hygiene and wonderful mouths. i have seen, and smelled some of the foulest and most horrible mouths. all too often than i ever should have, and i mean OFTEN.

"Floss only the teeth you want to keep."
this is one of the biggest preventers. work one day in dentistry, and see what i mean. i called my mom almost everyday,saying thank you for teaching my to keep my mouth clean.


Nikto

I do get mouth ulcers which my understanding were due to stress
yes it can be. you may want to try some vitamin b intake. not to much, try some natural intake before vitamins. b is water solable so you will micturate it. b will also reduce your cholesterol. getting canker sores can be a sign of low b. some protein intake can help also. amino acid lysine is good against canker and herpetic sores.

Vitamins were also not taken regualrly
taking them as often can be just as bad. depends on your diet, and what you do. people can go into shock due to an overdose of fat soluble vitamins. they can be fatal. specially vitamin a. BE CAREFUL. the body is a machine of balance, not overdose.

I've tended to get them when I'm stressed, so I'd figured it was stress related or posssibly an injury due to bone that I swallowed on accident
this sounds like many possiblities. seriously, try some better diet and exercise. you may find that this will not happen as often and may prevent it from ever happening again.


Aphasia

Yearly checkout is usually way more then enough for normal people unless they have something special and do take care of themselfs
did you go to medical school for this knowledge? have you seen the mouths i have seen? trust me 6 months is there for a reason-the population of the world has horrible hygiene. i am not joking. it is more of a preventer. also, you already paid for it, so you are losing money.

I myself or on a 1 to 1.5 years scedule depending on how i feel. Im actually due to take a checkup soon because i have a tiny cold-pain when i drink too cold things.
sensitivity to cold is ther first sign of a lesion. however, other things can cause sensitivty to cold-bruxia, composite fillings, deep fillings, fractures, etc. 6 months, usually, spots a small cavity, and easy to fix. rather than 1 year later and it a 3 surface filling.
although i get a tiny bit of stone
it is called calculus. you may know it as tartar. this comes from the calcium and phosphorus in your saliva. which saturates the debris in your mouth, in which calcify. this can be bad, depending on frequency and location. calculus and perio go hand in hand. if it is the mandibul facial central and lateral incisors accumulating calculus, that is common. you have two salivary glands there. floss, and vertical you brush, as in parallel with the tongue, to clean the distal portion. listerine is good, trust me you get addcited to it. just dont use the yellow one-my god what a monster.

may i recommend you all the best tooth brush ever to own? sonic-care, get one for they are worth their weight in gold. i would only acquire the advanced or elite. http://www.sonicare.com/

the best floss: http://www.oralb.com/products/product.a ... satinfloss
 
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden
Contact:

Tue May 17, 2005 9:26 am

sensitivity to cold is ther first sign of a lesion. however, other things can cause sensitivty to cold-bruxia, composite fillings, deep fillings, fractures, etc. 6 months, usually, spots a small cavity, and easy to fix. rather than 1 year later and it a 3 surface filling.
Yeah, thats why im always carefull and go and do a checkup whenever i feel something strange, if it doesnt go away after just a few days. Especailly coupled with the fact that i doesnt get holes, im all the more carefull to keep it that way.

Although you can have temporary sensitivities if you are stressed and have been biting together in your sleep, etc. But yeah, that differs so much from person to person.

Im just glad our social system is as it is. Because we have free dental care up to a certain age, then we have a reduced price, and its only grown people that gets the full brunt of the cost. So most people around here gets a good start on how to take care of their teeth.
 
katkat0150
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:56 am

Wisdom Teeth Removal

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:59 am

I'm seventeen yrs. old and I think I'm having all four of my teeth removed in June and I'm scared to death. I was wondering do you died from having your teeth removed while they put me or you to asleep?? I need help, I'm freaking out here. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22846
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Wisdom Teeth Removal

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:04 pm

katkat0150 wrote:
I'm seventeen yrs. old and I think I'm having all four of my teeth removed in June and I'm scared to death. I was wondering do you died from having your teeth removed while they put me or you to asleep?? I need help, I'm freaking out here. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I've heard from my friends, the worst part is the achiness that follows for a few days. :-)

Welcome to the forums 8)
 
katkat0150
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:56 am

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 pm

Really??? Is there an oral surgeon in here that can explain to me what will happen to me?? I need all the help there is.
 
Capsaicin
Gerbil XP
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:57 am

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:31 pm

I had all three of mine taken out when I was around 20. If I had both of my upper ones, I would've left them in (at least, for longer than they were). My bottom teeth are tight enough as it is. They knocked me out with an IV. I took the day off and was on strong meds. After that, I ingested 6 over-the-counter ibuprofen 3-4 times a day and kept everything clean after meals. Good luck and don't worry about what they do if they knock you out. :wink:
 
katkat0150
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:56 am

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:37 pm

thank you, it just that I want to cry. So it is an everyday procedure that the oral surgeon do and it is very rare that people died from it. Please give me all the information in order for me to be safe and ok.
 
UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Posts: 10363
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:03 pm

On the scale of operations this is pretty minor. There's always a tiny amount of risk with anesthesia, and they have to tell you about every possible complication no matter how unlikely, so that makes it sound far scarier than it actually is. You're actually at more risk riding in a car to and from the clinic than you are during the surgery.

It's actually one of the least painful experiences you'll ever have in a dentist's chair -- start counting backwards, boom, you're waking up and it's done. Zero pain. Once the drugs wear off, it will be less pleasant but you'll be home by then. Follow their directions to the letter. When I had mine done I took large amounts of ibuprofen every 3 or 4 hours (as directed) -- including setting my alarm to get up during the night to take it. This keeps the swelling down, and it's the swelling that is painful. They also gave me actual painkillers but I found I didn't need them. Make sure you take some food with it, as ibuprofen on an empty stomach is bad, and you don't want to be throwing up with stitches in your mouth. Before going in for the surgery I bought a bunch of those Odwalla soy shakes and stocked the fridge with them, and would drink one with every batch of ibuprofen. I pretty much survived on that for two days and then started eating soft foods.

They'll give you a syringe thing to clean out the "pocket" where the teeth used to be (these close up over time). You just fill it with water and squirt it in there to get the food fragments out. It's completely painless (just make sure you don't use water that is very hot or cold) but make sure you do it -- you don't want rotting food in there creating problems.

Also, the first few hours you tend to drool a little and the drool can be bloody so it's a good idea to put on some extra pillowcases you can throw away or wrap your pillows in towels or something. I stuck teabags in my mouth to soak up the blood (the tannin in the tea promotes clotting, so it's better than simple gauze). But that only lasts for a couple of hours, and you're pretty groggy during that time anyway.

These things can be scary, especially if it's your first time facing any kind of operation involving anesthesia. But thousands of people get this done every year and almost all of them have zero complications -- and virtually none of them die (in fact, I'd wager healthy teenagers never die from this -- unless you've got other major health issues you've got nothing to worry about). Just lean on the people around you for a few days. You're young, and heal fast, so you're getting it done at the best time. I left it until I was in my 30s and took care of myself after a friend dropped me off after the surgery, which is a less desirable way to do it. I'm really glad I did it, though (my teeth aren't all forced together anymore, so things like flossing are easier) and I wish I'd had it done when I was much younger.

Here's a WebMD page about wisdom tooth extraction but I imagine you already have (or will get) something like this from your dentist / oral surgeon.
 
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7356
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:35 am
Location: Hockeytown, MI

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:27 pm

I agree with everything uber just said.
I had all 4 of mine removed at once about 10 years ago.

The best part of it is the stories that come from what you say to your friends/loved ones as first start to wake up from the surgery.

There were a few doosies for me. One, my wife said I ws drifting in and out and that whenever I was alert, I was slapping my own face with my hand saying that my tounge was hanging out and to please put my tounge back in. Another one was two or three times I would wake up, eyes wide open, and say "Did you see what she just did?" and then drift away again.

Edit: The teabag thing really works, too.
 
Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:29 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:42 pm

Ahhh man. I think I'm gonna have to go have mine removed within the next month or so. My 2 bottom ones have started hurting the last week. :-?

Oh well. I'm not worried about geting it done, I just don't like going to the dentist for anything.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy
 
cheesyking
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2724
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:52 am
Location: That London (or so I'm told)
Contact:

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Am I some kind of freak? I've got all of my teeth.

The very back two aren't quite straight but I just got the pointy bits ground down a little and problems solved, no blood/pain/cost!


Anyhow I wouldn't worry about getting any dental work done these days. I had a great grandfather who was a "qualified" dentist... he did a 1 month course after WWI. Things have moved a long way since then :D
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
 
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8251
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: SouthEast PA

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:09 pm

cheesyking wrote:
Am I some kind of freak? I've got all of my teeth.


Yep, you're a freak. Us evolved humans don't get those vestigial replacement teeth anymore.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22846
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:18 pm

Forge wrote:
cheesyking wrote:
Am I some kind of freak? I've got all of my teeth.


Yep, you're a freak. Us evolved humans don't get those vestigial replacement teeth anymore.

I'll be a freak with you cheesyking 8)
 
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Posts: 13961
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 pm

I had 2 impacted teeth that had to be removed with surgery. They just gassed me up and I was all good. They gave me Tylenol with Codeine but I think I only needed 1 of those. I was playing basketball and eating pizza the same day. (To be young again, sigh)

I guess once I came out after I was gassed I was a little crazy, flinging magazines around the waiting room and making rude comments. My friend had to drive me home.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 27717
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:05 pm

My 4 were not impacted but were removed because they were cavity farms. I had more fillings in those 4 than in the rest of my mouth. Extraction was done under local and a Valium and other than having my head yanked around while the dentist was grabbing the teeth with his dental pliers all went well. I was given Percoset to take once I got home; it seems that I do not react to Percoset. :evil: I made do with copious applications of Costco ibuprofen and was just fine in a couple of days.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
 
Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 4:29 pm
Location: VA

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:29 pm

I think only one of my four teeth are coming in. I have heard that it's common for people to not have all of their wisdom teeth, the one that's come in is in like a normal tooth and didn't cause the slightest bit of pain coming in. 8)
 
katkat0150
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:56 am

Wisdom Teeth

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:01 pm

Can I just ask not to be put to sleep at all??????
 
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 12290
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:47 am
Location: Minnesota

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:43 pm

I had mine out a few months before this thread started. It wasn't so bad at all. just be prepared to have a headache.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Glorious, Usacomp2k3 and 5 guests