Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:44 pm

In my experience, you want to be asleep during the operation. I had all 4 of mine taken out at the same time. They hadn't even surfaced above the gum yet. I got around 17 shots of novacaine and, while I wasn't able to feel any pain, I could still feel them twisting and yanking on the teeth. I believe my parents were offered the option of a "twilight anasthesia" which is IV (conscious) sedation. But, due to the extra cost, I got stuck with having to look at Dr. Giggles while my teeth were extracted.

I highly recommend going with conscious sedation if it's offered. The odds of anything bad happening under conscious sedation are considerably less than general anastheisa due their being no need to intubate the patient.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

katkat0150
Gerbil In Training

Wisdom Teeth Removal

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:43 pm

What is concious sedation anyway???

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Wisdom Teeth Removal

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 pm

katkat0150 wrote:
What is concious sedation anyway???

Conscious sedation is a form of mild sedation. It's sometimes referred to as "twilight state." You're conscious during the proceeding, but you're not really coherent. You don't feel pain and you won't remember the procedure either.

According to my wife, who did a portion of her pharmacy tech clinicals in an OR pharmacy. They typically give a combination of drugs. Ketamine, Atoprine, and Valium or Versed are what she remembers seeing most often. Somtimes it can be nothing other than a benzodiazapine (Valium, Versed, Ativan) and an analgesic.

The sedatives are used in combination with local anasthetics. The sedatives keep you loopy while the anasthetics keep you from feeling pain. The nicest part is that you moe than likely won't remember the procedure afterwards. My father recent had an angiogram and they used conscious sedation on him during the procedure. He remembers being told that they were starting the sedation and then waking up 2 hours later.

katkat0150
Gerbil In Training

Wisdom teeth removal

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:52 pm

Is that good for me since I'm afraid to be put to sleep???

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:06 pm

For what it's worth, I am not a doctor. I just work around them all day. You really need to discuss your options with your oral surgeon. You're not asleep when you're under conscious sedation, it's a state of consciousness somewhere between wakefullness and sleep. Not being an anesthesiologist, I can't really say much more than that.

katkat0150
Gerbil In Training

Wisdom Teeth Removal

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 pm

Do u mind chating with me on aim since u work around doctors??? Please.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:14 pm

I had my wisdoms removed for one reason and one reason alone, ... to get 2 weeks off work. Yes, it was that bad that only if I were in the hospital for 2 weeks could I get off work. Actually it was a day in the hospital and 13 days at home. Which rawked. Pain? What pain when you're playing UT for 13 days straight?
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Wisdom Teeth

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:03 am

katkat0150 wrote:
Can I just ask not to be put to sleep at all??????

Yep. You can decline all anesthetic if you so choose.

Do be aware that you're a masochistic fruitcake if you do, though. :P

I actually asked my dentist about folks declining all medication, just bearing the grinding and pain. He said that some folks, especially senior citizens, found the after-effects of numbness/drooling/etc far worse than the pain of him drilling!

I guess nerves die of old age too. :)
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.

Capsaicin
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:52 am

Jon wrote:
I had my wisdoms removed for one reason and one reason alone, ... to get 2 weeks off work. Yes, it was that bad that only if I were in the hospital for 2 weeks could I get off work. Actually it was a day in the hospital and 13 days at home. Which rawked. Pain? What pain when you're playing UT for 13 days straight?

Hospital? :o Is that normal?
katkat0150 wrote:
Can I just ask not to be put to sleep at all??????

::Takes away the ? key:: :roll:

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Wisdom teeth removal

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:27 am

katkat0150 wrote:
Is that good for me since I'm afraid to be put to sleep???

I'll send this along to my wife. Why? She is a CRNA. For those not in the know it stands for Certified Registerd Nurse Anesthetist.

She does this for a living.

What they do, from what I have asked, is the anesthisia handles the pain part. However they prefer to sedate you to prevent you from flopping around or moving while they work. It is only a sleepful state, you are still alive and breathing on your own. I had a similar process done when I had to have surgery to remove a cyst from my back. It is just an induced sleepful state to keep you lying still.

If you want I can have her email you what and why things work. But I do know you really don't have anything to worry about. Since I was knocked out for mine wisdom teeth also.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:22 pm

katkat0150 wrote:
Do u mind chating with me on aim since u work around doctors??? Please.

As a professional anesthesia provider, it is interesting to read all this feedback. Some of the information is slightly correct, but if you don't actually provide anesthesia, then you can not confidently answer the concern. All these replys can be misleading. And no offense surgeons do surgical procedures and do not adminstered anesthesia. Anesthesia providers provide anesthesia and do not perform surgery. Ask the expert on the field of concern.

Conscious sedation and twilight anesthesia are not necessarily interchangeable. Conscious sedation is exactly what it states you are in a state of consciousness. We also used the term monitored anesthesia care which essentially is conscious sedation. With this type of sedation you are aware, we usually use small doses of narcotics and benzodiazepines i.e. Midazolam=versed, and Fentanyl = narcotic. These medications give you antegrade amnesia which means you will not be aware of what is going on, but you will be awake, breathing, you will not realize what is going on. Conscious sedation is used frequently in conjunction with local anesthetics. The local anesthetics numb the area, thus you do not feel pain, but you can feel pressure and pulling. With the use of Versed with local anesthetic you will not be aware of what is going on at the time, but you will not necessarily be sleeping. Risk factors are less, muscle reflexes are not hindered. You have a type of amnesia. One of the safer anesthetics of choice, if able to administer it related to the type of procedure. Very usable for wisdom teeth extraction.

Twilight anesthesia= Intravenous sedation has various different levels. It is by all means in high doses is a general anesthetic. It is administered more, and more frequently during surgeries in conjunction with regional/local anesthesia. The key here for anesthesia is you will be sleeping like you are at home, but you are not "knocked out"! You are maintaining your own breathing patterns. It is deep sedation. But you do not have any protective muscle reflexes. Common medications utilized in this type of anesthesia are Versed, Fentanyl, Propofol. Ketamine is not used frequently related to potential side effects. I deliver anesthesia every day for multiple different surgeries. The trend with technology is to the Intravenous sedation with regional/local blocks. I probably deliver 65% of my anesthetics this way. It is safer than a general anesthetic with endotracheal intubation but it does have some risks, relating to the level of sedation/dosing that they utilize. There is a fine line between breathing and not breathing. It is safe when administered by a trained professional, much more safer if it is administered by an anesthesia provider. Multiple health regulations continue to review this type of anesthesia and are making mandates on who can administer this type of sedation. The trend is that only an anesthesia professional should be delivering this type of anesthesia. Oral surgeons continue to be an exception to this rule at this time, but soon they may not be.

General Anesthesia with endotracheal intubation is the end all be all of anesthesia. It has many risk factors for the healthy and the patient with multiple medical problems. You will not receive this type of anesthesia for oral surgery to remove wisdom teeth. So you do not need to be concerned with this.

You need to decided which level you want, conscious sedation with local anesthetic or IV sedation. More importantly though you need to find out who is administrating the Intravenous medications. As an anesthesia provider, i advocate that you have an anesthesia provider delivering any type of anesthesia. They are highly trained to deal with any type of side effect or airway issues. Oral surgeons do extra rotations in anesthesia when training, but by no means are they airway/anesthesia experts. Many are capable of delivering a type of sedation safely, but they have limitations on the type and amount of medications they can administer. If you are that scared and uncomfortable with having this procedure, i would highly advocate to have an actual "anesthesia provider" give you the level of sedation. Although depending on your oral surgeon you could meet resistance on this.

No type of sedation, anesthesia is without its risks. But the least invasive is always less riskier. Conscious sedation with local is the safest, but that does not mean that local anesthesia with IV sedation is not safe. You just need a provider that is trained to deliver a safe level of deep sedation. Although i can not say that with the appropriate person administering your sedation there wont be any problems, i would though feel comfortable that it is less of a risk with the appropriately trained individual administering these medications. And yes, you are definitely more at risk of dying driving to the surgical center than having sedation administered by a trained anesthesia provider. The risk factor of dying is more that likely less than 0.1%.

And yes, my husband had surgery on a cyst on his back. He had a regional/local/spinal anesthetic with deep IV sedation by an anesthesia provider, and it was 99.5% safe.

I hope this helps.
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.

[EDIT]The views expressed above are not necessarily the views held by this broadcasting station. :D

It is my wife and she can be a little long winded, but I left it as she wrote it. She also asked me to add, that the healthier you are the less likely you are to have any issue. Your risk rate goes down dramatically. [/EDIT]
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow very interesting. Very well explained too. 8)

katkat0150
Gerbil In Training

Wisdom Teeth Removal

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Can you please e-mail me at katkat0150@yahoo.com and tell me the risk factors of health?? Don't the anesthesialogist check your health first before doing the wisdom teeth removal??? So the wisdom teeth removal is minor surgery and no one dies from it and they will watch my pulse constantly. How long does it usually take for them to remove the wisdom teeth since I'm still worried but not too worried like I was before. Please e-mail me so I know I can be safe, but I would like to talk to an oral surgeons about these information and the anesthesialogist. Including a Dentist since they can help decided about it. Thank you so much.

Capsaicin
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:00 am

katkat0150 wrote:
Please e-mail me so I know I can be safe

ROFL :lol:

Ahem. Sorry.

Nice write up, Mrs. z-man. :D

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:07 am

katkat0150 wrote:
Can you please e-mail me at katkat0150@yahoo.com and tell me the risk factors of health??

I guess we left this a little open. Health would be related to no major medical conditions, i.e. Heart problems, blood disorders, obesity, kidney or liver problems, things like that.

In other words, if you are of average height and weight for you age, don't smoke or do drugs, no major medical issues, a simple procedure becomes even less risky.

I know cause I pay attention and listen to her complain about people in poor health. But I'll let her know, she is in DC doing her annual goverment relation work. She will be coming home today. :D

katkat0150
Gerbil In Training

Wisdom Teeth Removal

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:19 pm

Is there an oral surgeon that I can talk to without talking about the surgery??? Why do they even call it surgery?? Is it up to the person to have it done??? I would like all the information on anesthesia and the prodcure on wisdom teeth removal please?????

ropnwidow
Gerbil In Training

wisdom teeth nightmare

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:43 am

I have a ?? Is it normal when getting 2 upper wisdom teeth removed and Dr. discovers you have an ongoing infection already there to NOT give patient anti-biotics? Gave me vicodin and ibuprofin, but no anti-biotics. Came back 3 hours after surgery due to the extreme pain i was in and still nothing. I ended up in loma linda icu and acute care facility for 4 days to to this little infection. Ihad to undergo another surgery to clean out what he left behind and clean out infection area etc. It's now been 2 weeks and Im still not 100%.

ChAoZ
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:12 am

Uhh...no it's not normal for a oral surgeon too NOT prescribe antibiotics after wisdom teeth removal especially if you already have an existing infection.

In my own personal experience I have had my wisdom teeth removed one by one on multiple occasions and have been given antibiotics when the removal of the tooth was unusually complicated and a lot of tissue damage was sustained. The other times I insisted that I be prescribed antibiotics even though the dentist(not oral surgeon)did not offer. But again, I had no existing infection, only one tooth was pulled at each visit and the extractions were pretty easy and uncomplicated.

I have seen the results of infections from dental work where antibiotics should have been prescribed and were not. A family member of mine ended up in the hospital for a week with a swollen face and had to have continuous IV antibiotics for days to get the infection under control. The dentist should have just given the antibiotics to begin with and it would have saved a lot of pain and medical bills.

I do know that some doctors are apprehensive to prescribe antibiotics because people can be careless with them which can cause a host of problems that I won't get into here, but I still think it's not an excuse for not prescribing them when it's indicated. As a general rule I always ask for antibiotics if any kind of opening has been created in body in a health care facility. Contrary to what many people think, medical facilities really are not that clean.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:17 am

Usually the infection needs to be cleared up first, before doing any surgery work. This way the infection does not spread to the open wound the surgery creates.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:46 am

You live in Loma Linda? Cool. My family was almost assigned there, but then it got changed to Lima, Peru. I know quite a few people that lived there and had to evacuate when the terrorism was at its worst.\
PS, welcome to TechReport 8)

Tyler3041
Gerbil In Training

Re: Wisdom teeth removal - share your experience and tips

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Ok i know im late to this discussion by like 14 years but if anyone still gets on here and can help that would be great. But i got my wisdom teeth out a month ago. Everything was healing over and had no problems. I went in for my checkup today and they found a small infection and had to re-open 1 of the holes where my wisdom teeth were. My question is since it was already pretty much healed can i still get drysocket again since it was opened? And do i follow the same rules as when i first got them out? Thank you in advance if anyone can help me out

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Tyler3041 wrote:
Ok i know im late to this discussion by like 14 years but if anyone still gets on here and can help that would be great. But i got my wisdom teeth out a month ago. Everything was healing over and had no problems. I went in for my checkup today and they found a small infection and had to re-open 1 of the holes where my wisdom teeth were. My question is since it was already pretty much healed can i still get drysocket again since it was opened? And do i follow the same rules as when i first got them out? Thank you in advance if anyone can help me out

Why exactly are you not asking your dentist these questions?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 am

Depends on how much they opened it and how deep they went. If it's fairly superficial, you can probably go light on the maintenance. If they dug deep, go back to full preventative care.

Your dentist is a good ask, though, as noted above.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 am

Tyler3041 wrote:
Ok i know im late to this discussion by like 14 years but if anyone still gets on here and can help that would be great.

Hah. It's over 15, actually, but tons of people are here daily.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:20 am

Not to be TOO pedantic, but "OP" should be asking the oral surgeons office, not necessarily the dentist's.

But yeah dude, treat it the same. Why would you even take the chance?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

cynan
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re:

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 am

Klyith wrote:

All of this in contrast to a tonsilectomy... That's something you want to aviod. There is no way to get your tonsils removed without being in serious pain for the next week or more.

If you think tonsilectomies result in a painful recovery (they do), try a triple internal hemmorrhoidectomy. The recovery is especially painful if you have your dentist do it.

Goty
Gerbil

Re: Re:

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:20 pm

cynan wrote:
Klyith wrote:

All of this in contrast to a tonsilectomy... That's something you want to aviod. There is no way to get your tonsils removed without being in serious pain for the next week or more.

If you think tonsilectomies result in a painful recovery (they do), try a triple internal hemmorrhoidectomy. The recovery is especially painful if you have your dentist do it.

I can imagine, especially if the dentist still goes in through the mouth!

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:32 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Tyler3041 wrote:

Why exactly are you not asking your dentist these questions?

It's a thread on dental surgery. Assume the Vikoden is talking until proven otherwise.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re:

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 pm

VaTech Hokie wrote:
my advice get the gas its awsome :D had all 4 pulled at 17 but with gas it was hilarious.

+1 for the gas. I remember sitting there as they cut into my mouth and thinking it was great.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: Re:

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:09 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
VaTech Hokie wrote:
my advice get the gas its awsome :D had all 4 pulled at 17 but with gas it was hilarious.

+1 for the gas. I remember sitting there as they cut into my mouth and thinking it was great.

On the advice of my dentist, I had general anaesthesia when I had to have a rogue (rotated 90 degrees forward) wisdom tooth drilled out of my skull. I received an IV cocktail of fentanyl, ketamine, and a third thing I forget.

Most importantly, the anaesthesia worked and I had no pain. But as a bonus, I had the most incredible, enjoyable hallucinations I've ever experienced, including one where I could feel the setting sun at my back as I faced mountains in the distance, and the wind chased waves across a field of tall grass, startling bizarre little helicopter animal-plant things into flight.