Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wisdom teeth removal - share your experience and tips

Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:44 pm

Okay -

Gotta have two wisdom teeth pulled :evil: And no, I am not asking one of you guys to do the procedure on me, as the topic header might suggest :x Asking for experience from those who have been through it.

Thing is, I have no choice. I have had two serious bacterial infections in the area back there in the past 6 months because of the wisdom teeth (suffering through the second one right now :-? ). So they basically have to go. And I am only having the bottom two (one on each side) taken out, since I do not have wisdom teeth on my upper jaw 8)

I am waiting till after I am done with my spring semester and exams to have the operation done. Could not do it after my first infection because I was busy with other things - getting married, taking final exams in the fall semester, going off to the honeymoon, and then coming back to do the wedding reception - in that order :o

The doctor is in his 50s, so he has enough experience, and he specializes in dental surgery - oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Not you run-of-the-mill dentist who only does fillings and cleanings :wink: So I think I am okay in terms of getting it done by someone who knows what they are doing. Have already visited him twice (both times to have my infection looked at). Seems pretty cool guy - took his time to discuss things and options both times - so I feel comfortable with him.

So ........ what to expect? Is it as bad as people make it out to be? Any tips and advice? Share them now, before the teeth get pulled and my wisdom is gone forever :D

Action Jim
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Wisdom teeth removal - share your experience and tips

Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:48 pm

Gandhi wrote:
So ........ what to expect? Is it as bad as people make it out to be? Any tips and advice? Share them now, before the teeth get pulled and my wisoom is gone forever :D

How old are you? I'm told it gets progressively worse as you get older.

I had 4 done in my early 20's, and had no problem at all. I was only in moderate pain for half a day, and after that it was pretty much business as usual. Didn't even fill out the codeine prescription they gave me.

Just be sure to take care of them while they're healing. My idiot sister let hers get infected, and that caused her a world of hurt.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:49 pm

I had all 4 of mine pulled in February and it all went very smoothly. It only took the doc about 35 minutes to do mine, and then I was on my way home. As far as pain afterwards goes, mine was very minimal thanks to my very good friend Percocet. I'm allergic to codeine, the usual drug given, so I was prescribed Percocet. And the stuff really works. My suggestion to you is to tell the doctor that you think you might be allergic to codeine and see if he'll give you percocet instead. You won't regret it if you pull it off.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:54 pm

I am 28. And what am I supposed to take care off after the procedure?

Action Jim
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:55 pm

Gandhi wrote:
I am 28. And what am I supposed to take care off after the procedure?

Take your antibiotics and make sure you don't get any food in the holes. Just common sense-type stuff.

sean1121
Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:56 pm

Gandhi wrote:
Share them now, before the teeth get pulled and my wisdom is gone forever

Since I don't have any wisdom teeth does that mean I never any wisdom!?
"The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think." - Picard

Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:59 pm

Dude, go get it done right away. I spent more than a year avoiding getting my wisdom teeth removed, and I look back and think that I was the biggest pussy ever.

My experience: I had total anesthetic during the procedure. It was done in mid afternoon, and I spent the rest of the day groggy from the drugs. The next day I took a couple asprins. The third day I didn't even need that anymore. Certian foods needed to be avoided for a while, but there was very little pain. In fact by the end of the week I probably had a net loss of pain-- I used to bite my tounge often becuase of the teeth.

My experience is actually more frequent than the horror stories you might have heard. If your wisdom teeth are fully exposed it is normally not a big deal. The people who have big problems are ones whose teeth are recessed, turned, or otherwise atypical.

All of this in contrast to a tonsilectomy... That's something you want to aviod. There is no way to get your tonsils removed without being in serious pain for the next week or more.

VaTech Hokie

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:02 pm

my advice get the gas its awsome :D had all 4 pulled at 17 but with gas it was hilarious.
Always Proud to be Hokie

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:02 pm

Nothing to be worried about ...drug up and be happy. The longer its put off the worse it usually is.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Gold subscriber

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:12 pm

Be careful, though, laughing gas makes some people sick to their stomach.

Do what the dentist tells you so that you don't get dry socket. You want those holes to heal up properly, not leave holes to collect food particles.

I had four wisdom teeth pulled when I was 14. None were coming in straight, and one was actually pointing towards the front of my mouth, but had not yet broken through the gum. That one was a cast-iron bitch to get out, and it hurt like hell for the rest of the day. Percodan didn't even touch that pain - it just made me climb the walls.

My face was swollen for a few days, but most of the pain was gone after the first day.

All four were extracted without the benefit of gas. Not an experience I would care to repeat.

VaTech Hokie

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:24 pm

your thinking of general anesthisia laughing gas is meant not to make you sick to your stomach thats why its an alternative to general anesthesia
Always Proud to be Hokie

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Gold subscriber

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:32 pm

My dentist warned me that the laughing gas - not the general anesthesia - could make me sick, especially since I have a tendency to motion sickness.

I thought it confusing at the time, but that's what he told me.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:35 pm

I will never eat cloves again.

Joshvar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:41 pm

I did the happy gas, and my experience was quite like Mr. Hokie's. It was winter break of my freshman year in college (Longhorns what) and my mom took advantage of my truth-telling state to ask questions about my...behavior there. I didn't recall anything of the 10-15 minutes after the surgery, but I was coherent, so a lot of beans were spilled upon the dentist's floor. So be careful with who drives you :)

Like I said, it was like Hokie's...no real pain, took 2 OTC pain relievers the next day (which probably weren't necessary), had some swelling, and that was all there was to it. I kept it clean with that cool little syringe they give you to squirt water in the holes. I had a lower one growing toward the front of my mouth at about a 70* angle (measured from the horizontal jawline, not the vertical toothline), and there wasn't much pain. It was fairly exposed, probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the crown.

WHY AM I SO LONGWINDED?!?!

nerdrage
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:01 pm

Are your teeth impacted (not exposed, growing sideways)? If they are, get the gas. If not, it's a piece of cake... I've had 3 non-impacted wisdom teeth out with nothing but Novacaine (5 minutes for each), and one Vicodin afterwards. (the 4th tooth is still in there, not sure what it's waiting for).

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:13 pm

Im just doing a copy and paste compilation thing from my replies in the last thread of the subject.

When they did my first they were stuck so hard they had to drill it to separate it into 3 pieces, then break them away one by one until the last bridges between the parts cracked. I hate the sound of really hard bone snapping. And they almost sprained my neck in the process of bending as it was stuck so hard. The left part of my jaw was blue for days afterwards.

Although i should say as it sat under the flesh pointed forwards, they couldnt take it with pliers, but was forced to do a incision on the outside of the tooth, folding the flesh out so they could work from the side. And cutting open flesh gives quite a bit more blood then a normal pull.

It was supposed to be a 30 minute job, i was stuck in the chair for around 50. It was the worst thing ive ever done, my 3 leg operations and 3 eye operations was a breeze in comparison. Painwise if not importance at least

It was done under local anesthetic, too much blood to be really funny, and the relaxing pills didnt do any effect, even though i got 3 of them and the only condition i got em was that i had someone to meet me and follow me home.

A friend of mine that is a doctor said its probably i have an extra pair of genes that gives me too much enzyme so i break down the active substance too fast so there isnt anything where the effect should be done. Same with most normal non-description painkillers, they dont work on me that good, as most of them are set to be active in the first stage. Its not that unusal, 5% of the total population has this "defect", while 20%(IIRC) has the opposite effect so they miss one pair of genes so they metabolize the active substances slower instead of normal speed. At least i got codeine pills. But a double dose of those only make me slightly drowsy usually. I could only eat gruel and icecream for three days or so.

The problem was the bad things that ooze out of the hole the first two weeks, taste like something died in there. And no, it wasnt festering, just normal healing. Syringe to clean it out? My dentist said it wasnt anything to worry about, the body is pretty good at taking care of such things actually. Although i will never think of soft white bread the same way again. But lets just say your breakfast will leave a nice snack for some later time. The problem was that as mine sat under the flesh, i had a very small entrance hole, with a giant cave beneth. It took my body just about 6 month to fill it up.

The second wisdom tooth on the other side was a breeze and i could manage to eat real food the same day.

Take your antibiotics and make sure you don't get any food in the holes. Just common sense-type stuff.
Well, the is a matter of discussion. The body is quite effective at cleaning out those holes even when you get food in them.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:34 pm

If going under is an option, take it. Even if they offer some sort of hypnotic anaesthesia, take it. I got 17 shots of novicaine when I had all four of mine taken out. I distinctly remember it feeling like my jaw was twisting in half when they removed my lower left wisdom tooth, this after all those shots of novicaine.. Being out for the procedure is highly recommended. You won't appreciate the sights and sounds of oral surgery.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:36 pm

You won't appreciate the sights and sounds of oral surgery.
I TRULY FULLY SECOND THAT

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Bring some music and headphones. The sound of it nearly drove me crazy. I never took anything stronger than Tylenol, had almost no pain from getting 3 of them out at once.

VaTech Hokie

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:54 pm

If you dont get the gas your missing out on the experience of a life time. I was listening to bush while laughing my ass off. The doc was like "Im gonna crack your tooth in half and rip it out of your face" and I looked at him and burst into laughter, looked at the nurse she asked me how i was doing laughed my ass of some more...in fact the sound of the drill made me laugh even harder. I wonder how he got anything done while I was laughing so hard :lol:
Always Proud to be Hokie

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:58 pm

Interesting and timely thread. I need to have mine removed...except, i have 6. Yes, thats right. Six. One on each top side is absessed (sp?)
I get the feeling its going to hurt like hell.

~Turkina

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:01 pm

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at age 16 (all were impacted at 40 to 50 degree angles). I had the surgery on a Friday and went back to school on Monday.

druidcent

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:03 pm

All four of my wisdom teeth turned 90 degrees in the space of one year... that royally sucked... I took the knockout gas.. I counted to ten, laughed a bit then realized I was looking at some bright lights on the ceiling... it was time to go home... Apparently the side impacted teeth had to be crushed and then the little bits vacuumed out.. I'm glad I was asleep for that...

Anyway I remember sleeping the rest of the day, and then not being able to chew for a day or so... The syringe was neat.. used a warm water solution with a little bit of salt... was kind of a funny feeling... :)

Other than that, definitely have some one available to drive you and don't operate any heavy machinery....

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:19 pm

Thanks for all the tips and insights guys. They took my x-ray (one of those 80-degree things) and both wisdom teeth are growing they way they are supposed to - no freaky angles. Although I am not sure they have completely grown out from the gums.

But I will definitely take the advice of going under and sleeping through the surgery :wink:

pyrodeus
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:21 pm

I also had gas, and had very pleasant and trippy dreams through the procedure.

In fact, I want more of that gas!
For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world islanded in its stream of stars—pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time.
--Henry Beston, The Outermost House

VaTech Hokie

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:29 pm

ya that gas kiks ass but i dont know if it has harmful ie kills brain cells if you do it too much...if not ill go buy a nos tank and empty it into my room! :lol:
Always Proud to be Hokie

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:32 pm

I got them out last january. It wasn't that bad, except for the lack of teeth I now have, and the inability to use straws or eat food.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:27 pm

I fear I may be in your boat soon as well. My two top ones are coming in now. Thing is tho, last year I had two broken molars removed (very back of my mouth, top right and bottom left). Now there's a wisdom tooth coming in the top where I had the other tooth pulled. It doesn't hurt at all, so I probably won't have to have that one removed. Only thing is, it's at about a 45 degree angle to the rest of my teeth. :roll: Don't think I'm gonna get as lucky on the other side of my mouth.

Anyway, having the two molars removed last year wasn't that bad. I got shots in the gums to numb it, and my dentist is awesome with a needle. No pain at all. Each one bled for about a day.

If you're lucky, they'll be able to pull them. If you aren't, you'll have to see a dental surgeon and have them cut out. You could probably get a hospital room for a day or two if you wanted to lay around. Good luck tho. Happy smiles. lol :D
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Sorry to drag this thread back from the oblivion of previous pages, but y'all wish me luck! Gonna got get me two wisdom teeth romoved tomorrow afternoon :-?

Hopefully, I do not go from this :D to this :P Friday the 13th, of all days to have it done :oops:

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Wisdom teeth removal - share your experience and tips

Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm

Gandhi wrote:
And I am only having the bottom two (one on each side) taken out, since I do not have wisdom teeth on my upper jaw 8)

Very good, grasshopper. You are halfway to the happy and wisdom-toothless evolutionary plateau upon which my exalted arse sits.

Now look at it this way: You have two and are having them removed. Some poor sh*ts have MORE THAN FOUR and have to have involved oral/facial surgery to remove the little blighters.

Evolution should never give you anything that you need a hammer and a chisel to fix.