Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

stephenb
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

on-line language

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:17 pm

If I were to make a post full of swearing it would, quite rightly for this site, be locked, deleted and jetisoned into the sun (possibly the last one may be an exageration).

However, why is it that posts that say things like:

OMFG
WTF
F**k

...and so on are OK. Everyone knows what the abreviations, substitutions and acronyms we use on line actually mean, so why are they not as offensive? This post is in no way a critiism aimed at anyone at all, just thought it was a little funny how arbitrary profanity can be. Is it possible that in 20 years time 'WTF' will be an unacceptable thing to post?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:48 pm

stop f***ing swearing mate, this is a f***ing family site...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

personally I'd be happy dropping all that rubbish but I suppose you have to cater to the youngest common denominator and all that.

maybe TR could bring out some kind of rude filter that could replace all my instancies of Anglo Saxon with pictures of cute fluffy bunnies if you're under 18 but leaves it in if the rest of us :D
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:53 pm

Umm... yeah... I'm 18... right... I'll just click THAT checkbox instead... I was born in 1987 instead of 1988... that's wrong...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(How 'bout this? Turn on the filter by default, and a user can turn it off. I'll turn mine OFF, even though I'm under 18.)

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:56 pm

:lol: :lol: I don't know what to say...
FX-55|Patriot 1GB DDR400|BFG 7600GT|Rosewill 550W PSU|Biostar nforce4 SLI|Samsung SATA 300GB HDD

Rookie
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...I just saw a pattern with the smilies...
Look on the bright side...when you hit rock bottom - there's no where to go but up

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:09 pm

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMFG! WTF is going on with this f**king pattern of smilies?

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: on-line language

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:27 pm

stephenb wrote:
Everyone knows what the abreviations, substitutions and acronyms we use on line actually mean, so why are they not as offensive?

For the same reason you can say Biatch during children’s TV but not bitch. Basically the censors haven’t caught up to the latest language trends.

It strange but people actually think that if you use different words to describe something then some are ok. e.g. vagina = good, ****, pussy = bad. Its all the same thing but people have been raised to take offence to some words without questioning the logic.

What’s strange for my not being from the USA is that you can have a discussion about firearms in the back porch but if you mention sex at all its straight to R&P.

Note: MS Word's spell check doesn’t even recognise **** as a word.

Stealth edit: **** is C*nt

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:13 am

I figure that the abbreviations might be a bit more tame because they arent fully spelled out so the average to a little slow youngster wouldnt know what they meant.. not sure if that is a good thing. If they continue to be allowed, it gives some freedom to the older readers and allows families to accidentally click a TR forum bookmark without too much worry.

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:31 am

dragmor wrote:

Cant?
:lol:

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:50 am

What’s strange for my not being from the USA is that you can have a discussion about firearms in the back porch but if you mention sex at all its straight to R&P.
Cultural hipocrisy. ;) Most countries have it in one form or another. US, UK, Sweden, etc, etc.

Like some shows ive seen where they actually black out a nipple, but a guy shooting someone in the head is perfectly alright. I mean, that is totally turned around. Most living people have sucked on a nipple at one time or another in their lives, so whats so bad about em? :roll:

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:24 am

Aphasia wrote:
Like some shows ive seen where they actually black out a nipple, but a guy shooting someone in the head is perfectly alright. I mean, that is totally turned around. Most living people have sucked on a nipple at one time or another in their lives, so whats so bad about em? :roll:

I saw a TV show while in the USA which was about breast surgery, they showed the whole breast but blured the nipple. Then when she put on the shirt at the end it was all nipples (with no blur).

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:30 am

totoro wrote:
dragmor wrote:

Cant?

nah. cent. :P
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:31 am

anyway... why DO we swear by sex, "god", and excrement? *shrug*
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:32 am

excession wrote:
anyway... why DO we swear by sex, "god", and excrement? *shrug*

All taboo topics I guess or at least have been so in the past. Nothing like mentioning bodily functions to get your point across in an intelligent and enlightened way.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:08 am

Dirge wrote:
Nothing like mentioning bodily functions to get your point across in an intelligent and enlightened way.

Nice :lol::lol::lol: 8)

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:15 am

Dirge wrote:
All taboo topics I guess or at least have been so in the past. Nothing like mentioning bodily functions to get your point across in an intelligent and enlightened way.

"Oh SNEEZE!!!"

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:51 am

totoro wrote:
dragmor wrote:

Cant?

Q:"Hey whats a 4 letter word for snatch?"
A:"Grab?"

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:57 am

I think the phrase which would sum most of this up is

"I'll **** shoot you, you c*nt."

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:49 am

dragmor wrote:

I think you are confused on the reasons why threads get moved to the R&P forum. Just talking about guns or sex doesn't cause a thread to get moved. It's when the threads discuss them in a political, religious, or sociological setting (such as abortion, gun control, etc). However, most threads on sex in this forum have been posed in those contexts, whereas there are a few gun threads that just talk about the guns themselves.

Kevin

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:32 am

If you guys want to have the home-defense debate, please do so in R&P, where it rightfully belongs.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:32 pm

Darkmage wrote:
I once saw an interesting comparison of the cover of a CD that was censored differently for the UK and for the USA. I think it was a U2 album, but I'm not sure. The cover pictured a topless woman holding an assault rifle above her head. In the USA, her breasts were covered by a black box, and you could see the gun clear as day. In the UK, her top was bare, but the gun was covered by a black box. Go figure. :-?

wow. i never seen that. i would LOVE to see examples of both covers you
mentioned...can someone link me here or via PM plz. ty.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:37 pm

bhtooefr wrote:

OMFG! WTF is going on with this f**king pattern of smilies?

i dunno, but for some reason, this didnt get filtered or deleted so i guess
it's ok and approved by the site?

url: viewtopic.php?p=429131#429131

pattern example:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

it's all yer fault bhtooefr, i blame you for what i just posted! :P
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:07 pm

Gun politics posts have been split off and sent to R&P. Keep the political side of that eternal debate there, please.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:34 pm

Aphasia wrote:

This really bothers me too.
Then again, the USA has a pretty unique culture when it comes to guns and gun violence.

"Are Americans gun crazy, or just crazy?" is a good question.

More nudity, less violence on TV would bring us in line with most of the rest of the world. And they have way less violent and sex crimes per capita, among other things. Doesn't this data make you wonder?

Yes, I think our country is wacked.

Edit: Oops..sorry about the above...

Um on F*cking topic then.
Godda*m bastar*s stopped putting apple pies in the snack machine.
I'm pissed. I had to settle for f*cking cheese its!!!!

Um yea...sorry...Ah...I say being allowed to fake-swear is better then no swearing at all. Come on, we all do it - don't we?
8)
Last edited by FroBozz_Inc on Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:59 pm

Alright you ******* ***********, I'm going to ******* **** the next one of you who says ****, ****, ****, ****, ***, or even ****!! You'd better bet your ************ great aunt Millie that I won't hesitate to ********* your ****-******* ********* with a ******* ten inch black rubber ***** if you say one word about it, too!

Now get your ******* ***** back on topic or this is going to turn into MAD LIBS FROM HELL.

:P :P :P

Edit: Yes, my father was a filth-mouthed sailor, and yes, my father taught me to swear, but I've improved and improvised since then, too.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:43 am

i got one to top it all off:

^ yup. thats the best one on the internet ^

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:57 pm

Gleek: As ever, you worry me, mang.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

pyrodeus
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:14 pm

It's because in the distant past, our ancestors believed that "curses" worked, and blasphemy worked as a sort of "self-curse". That is, that the person hearing them (or uttering them, in the case of blasphemies) actually was being placed under an adverse magical spell. Somewhere along the way a series of taboo words dealing with sex seem to have been swept up into prohibition, which is why they are collectively called "curses."

Like any magic spell, you must utter or inscribe the whole word for the magic to work. Similarity is just not good enough to make a curse or blasphemy stick. Hence variants of "F*&k" turned into euphemisms like "frigging" and "Jesus" turned into "Geez" without anyone batting an eye.

Also, the supposedly mind warping power of these magic words on children similarly doesn't work unless the spells are spoken properly. A kid who hears the word "f*&k" is damaged for life, but a kid who hears, "Frak you! Frak you, you fraking piece of feldercarb!" is watching Battlestar Galactica.
For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world islanded in its stream of stars—pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time.
--Henry Beston, The Outermost House

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:29 pm

**REMOVED**

That's accessible with the ::****:: emoticon on that board, FWIW...

372 bytes to Gleek's 3057... Nice and efficient, and still gets the facking across :P

Edit: BTW, while it says ****, that's post nazi-language-filter processing.

**EDIT BY MOD: In the future, censor your links please. -Kevin**

anand
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:20 pm

LOL, pretty interesting that curse words in URLs do not get censored for display. I smell a new hole past the censors... Did I really just say "I smell a new hole" in a thread dedicated to vulgarity? Dsmn!