Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Vodka recipe

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:07 pm

I bought a ton of vodka recently, but im unable to keep it down. It was like the cheapest they sale, and it BURNNNNNNNNNS. :cry: Ive tried mixing it with gatorade, cranberry juice, and powerade. But its still pretty nasty. Does anyone know a vodka recipe that masks the taste, and stops the burning?

Especially one that uses
* Skim Milk
*Coke
*Lemonade
*Powerade (tried it)
*Gatorade (tried it)

because thats all we have at the moment to drink. But ill try anything.

Oh and a quick question. Does stirring it in matter? It just occured to me that ive just been pouring the vodka in the drink, without stirring it or anything. Will that help any?
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:12 pm

ummm underage drinking is against the law . of course that never stopped me either . :lol: vodka , tomato juice , horseradish , celery salt and peice of celery and your good to go .

anand
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:15 pm

I've heard pouring cheap vodka through a Brita (or similar) pitcher can improve its taste tremendously. If you have a Brita pitcher, might be worth a shot.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Vodka recipe

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:15 pm

Grumpy_Eel wrote:
It was like the cheapest they sale, and it BURNNNNNNNNNS. :cry:

The cheaper stuff probably burns a lot more than the top shelf stuff.

Grumpy_Eel wrote:
Does anyone know a vodka recipe that masks the taste, and stops the burning?

Never tried it, but I've heard Yoo-hoo can mask the taste of almost anything.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:27 pm

if you have seen my White Castle burger thread just grab a couple of them . they might not improve on the taste of the vodka but it the vodka will sure as heck taste better than the burgers .

henry44
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:47 pm

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:56 pm

Follow-up posts on vodka filtering should be posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=32402
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:09 am

Egg Nog, Dr. Pepper, and a cream saver.

On a more serious note, just say no to **** booze.

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Thx for the suggestions, but didnt see anything that wouldnt make it worse. Eggnog? Tomatoe juice? Ewwww.

I might try the yoo-hoo though.

I was able to get some of it down with the lemonade last night, and i didnt puke it up! woooooooo

But im starting to think im immune to all drugs. Ive tried vicodin and booze (not together). They both made my stomach hurt and i didnt catch a buzz. I dont think im drinking enough though.
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Grumpy_Eel wrote:
I dont think im drinking enough though.

Dont rush it...its prolly a good thing..nothin worse than turnin into a drunk at a young age then tryin to kick the habit :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:14 pm

I always got the cheapest vodka I could find (Aristocrat? I think? Is that a real brand?) and then made lemonade out of it...Monday Night Football was great this way...we'd (and by "we" I mean me, my roommate from my freshman year, and two guys down the hall from me) make a pitcher of lemonade and then add about 1/4 bottle of vodka...then as the pitcher went down, we just kept adding vodka and powder rather and only very occasionally, water with the powder...by halftime it was probably 75% vodka, but noone could tell because we were totally **** blitzed. Monday nights were the absolute best.

10am classes were very, very tough on Tuesdays.

God, I miss college. :cry:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:20 pm

Grumpy_Eel wrote:
But im starting to think im immune to all drugs. Ive tried vicodin and booze (not together). They both made my stomach hurt and i didnt catch a buzz. I dont think im drinking enough though.

Lol, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:28 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I always got the cheapest vodka I could find (Aristocrat? I think? Is that a real brand?) and then made lemonade out of it...Monday Night Football was great this way...we'd (and by "we" I mean me, my roommate from my freshman year, and two guys down the hall from me) make a pitcher of lemonade and then add about 1/4 bottle of vodka...then as the pitcher went down, we just kept adding vodka and powder rather and only very occasionally, water with the powder...by halftime it was probably 75% vodka, but noone could tell because we were totally **** blitzed. Monday nights were the absolute best.

10am classes were very, very tough on Tuesdays.

God, I miss college. :cry:

We can get handles for under 12 bucks here in PA, it burns so bad one shot on en ampty stomach and you will throw up. I've seen NOONE hold it down on an empty stomach, it just EATS whatever lining you had. Its cheaper than Vlad, blech!

Me and my buddy went shot for shot every time the steelers scored hte other night, ontop of a not-too-shabby 7 beers for myself, I was heavily buzzed.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:45 pm

yeah this does sound like a disaster waiting to happen . just take it slow . drinking is kind of like exercise you have to work up to huge amounts of booze or exercise . i used to be in really really good shape when it came to drinking ( your wife being a bar tender will do that ) . the most i ever put down in a night was a fifth of vodka and a fifth of kahlua ( black russians ) . needless to say i wasnt good for much the next day . i made around 150 bucks playing 8 ball and didnt remember any of it thats how drunk i was . i did some other things that i dont care to mention because of the family nature of the site :o

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:54 pm

Step #1, eat a good meal, lots of breads or pastas.

Step #2, take a multivitamin (so you don't wake up hung-over).

Step #3, take a large glass, put a few ice cubes in, and fill the glass about 30% with your sh|tty Vodka (about 3 shots worth), then fill it the rest of the way with your gatorade, powerade, or lemonade.

Step #4, mix it around, then pour it into another glass, sans ice cubes (so it won't get watered down).

Step #5, drink, then repeat steps 3-5 as desired.

You should start slowly, though. I remember @ the beginning of last school year, when I was introduced to the stuff, it was at parties, so I was talking, walking around, and dancing. It's much easier to gauge your sobriety(or lack thereof) when doing such things. I have trouble telling how sober I am if i'm just sitting on a couch drinking beer after beer or shot after shot. Good luck.

Oh, if you happen to overdo it and end up praying to the porcelain god, drink a glass of water or two and eat some bread. Another multivitamin will reduce the agony in the morning.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:17 pm

Why don't you try mixing it with a regular drink like 7up? Or just suck it up and take it like a man.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:37 pm

Nobody mentioned OJ? Screwdrivers are good-tasting, you can make them w/o having to think, and practically anyone will drink them.

mac_h8r1

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:49 pm

yeah, a screwdriver is one of the easiest and best drinks. he didn't say that he had OJ on hand, though.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

|FN|Steel

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:55 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:
Step #1, eat a good meal, lots of breads or pastas.

Step #2, take a multivitamin (so you don't wake up hung-over).

Step #3, take a large glass, put a few ice cubes in, and fill the glass about 30% with your sh|tty Vodka (about 3 shots worth), then fill it the rest of the way with your gatorade, powerade, or lemonade.

Step #4, mix it around, then pour it into another glass, sans ice cubes (so it won't get watered down).

Step #5, drink, then repeat steps 3-5 as desired.

You should start slowly, though. I remember @ the beginning of last school year, when I was introduced to the stuff, it was at parties, so I was talking, walking around, and dancing. It's much easier to gauge your sobriety(or lack thereof) when doing such things. I have trouble telling how sober I am if i'm just sitting on a couch drinking beer after beer or shot after shot. Good luck.

Oh, if you happen to overdo it and end up praying to the porcelain god, drink a glass of water or two and eat some bread. Another multivitamin will reduce the agony in the morning.

This is mostly right, but to add to ti:

The multi-vitamin will help, but nothing helps if you drink TOO much... except possibly a stomach pump. :lol:

To help with a hang over also try drinking 1 or 2 tall glasses of water before falling asleep. This will help ease the dehydration. A couple ibuprofen would be good to. It will help reduce swelling and ease withdraw symptoms.

One of the better mixes that will also help minimize a hangover and tastes decent is not only orange juice but cranberry juice as well. Mix in the cranberry juice and orange in equal amounts.

Mix in only as much vodka as tastes good. Don't over do it. If you only put 1 shot in a tall glass with these don't worry about it. After 5 glasses you'll be about perfect and the chances of a hangover slim.
Sucking down the easy flowing milk from society's warm breasts.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:04 am

one shot in a tall glass ? amatures :lol: i mix drinks in a 32 oz glass 1/3 vodka 2/3 whatever i happen to be mixing it with . one big draw back of this method is you sit down to play a game on the comptuer and finish one drink and think your ok until you stand up :o

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:24 am

If you do drink too much trying to find the right mix (there are a lot of suggestions, try them all!) and you get hung over, get some light excersize with water when you wake up.

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:02 am

I love vodka. These are my favorites. Google em' for info.

Dirty Vodka Martini

Vodka Collins

Cosmopolitan

And if your going to drink cheap vodka try McCormicks or Smirinoff they have the least after bite. And if you can ever afford to drink good vodka pass up Absolute, Skyy and Stoli and get yourself some Grey Goose.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:51 am

How much time do you have?

First, filter the vodka. Follow the link to the other thread, there is a lot of good information there. The vodka may not taste great, but it will definitely taste better.

The other option: Make your own vanilla vodka. Buy 2-6 vanilla beans at the grocery store (they're in the spices section) and use a knife to slit them lengthwise. Boil 2 cups of sugar in 1 cup of water until the sugar dissolves. Pour the sugar water into a 3/4 or 1/2 full bottle of vodka. Add the vanilla beans to the bottle and let the vodka sit for about a month. Pour & serve. If used with filtered/good vodka, the taste is very smooth.

mac_h8r1

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:28 am

Musikaman wrote:
This is mostly right, but to add to ti:

The multi-vitamin will help, but nothing helps if you drink TOO much... except possibly a stomach pump. :lol:

Absolutely (ABSOLUT-ly? :lol:) correct.
Musikaman wrote:
To help with a hang over also try drinking 1 or 2 tall glasses of water before falling asleep. This will help ease the dehydration. A couple ibuprofen would be good to. It will help reduce swelling and ease withdraw symptoms.

The tall glasses of water is a good idea. However, ibuprofen might not be a good idea until the next morning, as IB irritates the stomach lining, as does alcohol, and when combined, increases the chance of stomach bleeding.

I kinda liked learning the hard way, although I found out that I have an alarmingly high tolerance, which helped immensely.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

fent
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:38 am

If you havent pooped in a tub you arent drinking enough.

:oops:
Awesometown.

mac_h8r1

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:13 am

o man, I was afraid a picture was gonna pop up in between the line and the smiley :o . I'm all in favor of public urination, though. In fact, I'm frequently in favor of it. Line for the bathroom? Nature is my bathroom. If it needs CO2 and water, I water it and exhale extra hard in its general direction :wink:
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

Cortazzo
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:25 am

When my roommates and I are looking for a cheap way to provide drinks for everyone, we take a 5 gallon water cooler (like the ones they have in athletic stadiums), put in one handle of cheap vodka, one pint of koolade fruit punch mix, and fill with water and ice. It isn't terribly strong, but after several glasses most people are happily buzzed and everyone will drink, even fickle women, it because it just tastes like koolade. Of course you can put in more koolade or vodka to what you can stand in terms of taste.

Also, i have friends that run cheap vodka through brita filters, they say after 3 or 4 times through it becomes very smooth. Your brita filters won't last very long though. If you're just looking to get drunk, i'd recommend 100proof nicolai vodka. It's stronger than most (which are 80 proof) and it's pretty cheap.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:34 am

Mix it with cranberry juice and a little bit of lime juice (you can buy a bottle of lime juice at the supermarket instead of using fresh limes, I think the brand name is RealLime).

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:26 am

Nobody's posted jello shots yet? They're a lot of work compared to pouring vodka into a random drink, but they mask the taste pretty well.

Last New Year's I made 4 batches of jello, color-coded for potency.
They ranged from a 1-8 ratio to 1-1 ratio of vodka to water.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Errr, this is a bit off-topic, but what's a white russian?
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64