Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
whitzmusic
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:18 pm

An acoustic live version of Green Day's 'Holiday'. I absolutely LOVE the guitar skills of Jason White. I feel he's way too underrated.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCb0zi98HhM

He's basically covered the rhythm parts, the lead parts (the solos) and even (originally) the bass parts, all on a dreadnought acoustic guitar! Although, I should say that the instrument is hardly the bottleneck when it's in the hands of a virtuoso like Jason White. Heck, I even watched a YT video showing him playing another one of their popular songs (probably 'Jesus of Suburbia') on a short-scale electric guitar! That's unthinkable for most guitar players including me (the fast riffs and chord switches are even harder on a smaller guitar), but quite clearly, not for him.
 
jackbomb
Gerbil XP
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Julian Bream and John Williams - L'encouragement, Op. 34
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24504
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 am

whitzmusic wrote:
Heck, I even watched a YT video showing him playing another one of their popular songs (probably 'Jesus of Suburbia') on a short-scale electric guitar! That's unthinkable for most guitar players including me (the fast riffs and chord switches are even harder on a smaller guitar), but quite clearly, not for him.

Boy, I'll say it is. We got my daughter (9 years old) a mini Strat for her birthday, and when I tune it for her I like to just try to goof around. I fat finger so many chords and runs that I might as well not even bother. :lol:

Cool stuff you shared. I've always enjoyed Green Day's music (going back to Dookie and Nimrod, anyway), and you're right - he's a heck of a player.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1151
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: New York

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:57 am

whitzmusic wrote:
Heck, I even watched a YT video showing him playing another one of their popular songs (probably 'Jesus of Suburbia') on a short-scale electric guitar! That's unthinkable for most guitar players including me (the fast riffs and chord switches are even harder on a smaller guitar), but quite clearly, not for him.


derFunkenstein wrote:
Boy, I'll say it is. We got my daughter (9 years old) a mini Strat for her birthday, and when I tune it for her I like to just try to goof around. I fat finger so many chords and runs that I might as well not even bother. :lol:


My first guitar was/is a Fender Mustang, and I love that thing to death. The best thing about that guitar (IMO) is that you can run the neck and bridge pickup in parallel and get some pretty unique tones out of it. I have long and bony fingers so it's pretty easy for me to navigate shorter scale guitars. It was definitely an adjustment when I first played a Les Paul.

Also Crosby, Stills, & Nash. Partially inspired by Helplessly Hoping being featured in Annihilation (which I thought was one of worst movies I've seen in a long time).
 
DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:33 am

Not a fan of Green day (at all, really) but can appreciate musical talent. It's not my thing, but I did wade into guitar playing when I was a teenager, and was OK, but just didn't stick with it.

Music\David Bowie\Legacy - The Very Best Of\01. David Bowie - Space Oddity (Remastered).flac

OH YEAH
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
takeasneededforpain
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 am

Entombed - Left Hand Path
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24504
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:40 am

SecretMaster wrote:
My first guitar was/is a Fender Mustang, and I love that thing to death. The best thing about that guitar (IMO) is that you can run the neck and bridge pickup in parallel and get some pretty unique tones out of it. I have long and bony fingers so it's pretty easy for me to navigate shorter scale guitars. It was definitely an adjustment when I first played a Les Paul.

Also Crosby, Stills, & Nash. Partially inspired by Helplessly Hoping being featured in Annihilation (which I thought was one of worst movies I've seen in a long time).

In jr. high I wanted one because it's what Kurt Cobain had, and I wanted to learn to play guitar. My parents said no, though. Apparently clarinet, trombone, and a bit of keys was enough. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:25 am
Location: Portland,OR

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VYZKSxlcQ

Alyona Yarushina-Kickstart My Heart.(She's covering Motley Crue.)
 
CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 am

Paradise

Sade
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:57 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VYZKSxlcQ

Alyona Yarushina-Kickstart My Heart.(She's covering Motley Crue.)

I wasn't much of a Crue fan back in the day, so when I saw the song title the first thing that popped into my head was this song. Oh, and BTW Black Velvet is a fan-damn-tastic song.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24504
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm

How about a little Boxcar Willie Wabash Cannonball to brighten up your Monday afternoon?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:45 pm
Location: Alaska
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Whatever the radio station has on as I work on their equipment. It's a local station that transmits out to the bush (see: no roads) and villages here in AK. What a variety of new and old music.

We're playing some old time blues a bit ago, now onto Bluer than Blue by Michael Johnson. Interesting.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | MSI 7850 | 850 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x
 
Cuhulin
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:52 pm
Location: Meridian, Idaho

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
I didn't like anything my parents listened to growing up. Obviously as you get older tastes change, but I wouldn't say at my age (early 30's) that my parents' and my tastes in music line up that well still.

FWIW, I like Rush, but not enough to perform 2112 at a high school talent show. My parents did not and do not like Rush.

Well yeah, it's not a hard-and-fast rule. But in general, I'd say there are a lot more people in their 20s and 30s today whose music tastes overlap that of their parents than there were when I was that age. I'm not saying that there's 100% alignment; just a lot more overlap.

I can talk to my kids about Rush, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Queen, etc. and they're into it. But when I was younger I had very little interest in show tunes, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, etc...


And some of it is just perspective. When "Supernatural" came out, my wife, who used to hang out at Fillmore West when Carlos was playing there commented on how much she had liked Santana when we were young and my son commented that he didn't know Carlos was that old!
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....
 
jackbomb
Gerbil XP
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 am

The Byrds - Mr. Spaceman
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Buckethead - Abominable Snow Scalp (2017)

#255 in his "Pikes" series of releases. Fairly typical of his "melodic metal" material; a lot of mid-tempo grooves, without the all-out wackiness of some of his more experimental releases or the meandering noodling of his ambient material.

[For the uninitiated, Pikes are albums that he seems to release in sporadic bursts, with several of them coming out in rapid fire sequence just a few days apart. They're distributed as digital downloads on Bandcamp. They're all approximately 30 minutes in length, and range from metal to ambient to experimental. I picked up a pile of them a few months back when there was a $2 sale on all the Pikes downloads.]
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:51 am

Tangent from a convo that took place a couple of weeks ago in the desktop speakers thread:
Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Some of Ian Gillian's best work isn't on any Deep Purple album, it's on the Decca-label "soundtrack" (album was released to try to get a spot in a proper theatre) to Jesus Christ Superstar.

Seconded. That cast is amazing, and Gillian outshines Ted Neely at every turn. Murray Head as Judas, too. My goodness, I'm going to have to dig that one out.

There are also some seriously funky and froody bass lines on that recording as well.

I had not listened to this in its entirety in a very long time. Pulled it up on Spotify last night and listened to it from start to finish. Twice. Gonna order the CDs. And wow there are a lot of different versions of this that have been released over the years. (I'm going to get the original version with Gillian, of course.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24504
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 am

For those who might enjoy it: on April 1 (Easter Sunday this year), NBC is doing a live version of the show with John Legend and Alice Cooper. It's probably not going to be the quality of the original recording, but I'm still very interested. We're hosting Easter dinner this year since we have a 55" TV and a 5.1 surround system. No way were we huddling around my parents' TV in the basement for this.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 am

Yeah, apparently the "1996 London Cast" version also has Alice Cooper as Herod.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings (1979)

Man, it has been years (possibly decades) since I last listened to this. I see that Amazon has an inexpensive box set of his first 5 solo albums on CD... tempting.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
jackbomb
Gerbil XP
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:57 am

Cat Stevens - Moonshadow
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Anovoca wrote:
Insomnium - Shadows Of The Dying Sun

A new discovery for me and an absolute must listen to any Opeth fan.

I made a note of this, and finally got around to checking them out. Currently listening to their 2006 release, Above The Weeping World. I agree, they're very good! IMO the songs don't seem quite as varied in composition/structure as Opeth, and the mix seems a bit muddy/compressed; but these aren't show-stopper issues by any means. I agree, anyone who enjoys a dose of melodic Death Metal now and then (or frequently!) really should check them out.

I will be working my way through their entire back catalog, thanks to Spotify.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4084
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Rhiannon Giddens:

https://youtu.be/9mxmYuC_myo
https://youtu.be/VbeekjZP-CI

She has an amazingly expressive singing voice.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:51 am

just brew it! wrote:
Anovoca wrote:
Insomnium - Shadows Of The Dying Sun

A new discovery for me and an absolute must listen to any Opeth fan.

I made a note of this, and finally got around to checking them out. Currently listening to their 2006 release, Above The Weeping World. I agree, they're very good! IMO the songs don't seem quite as varied in composition/structure as Opeth, and the mix seems a bit muddy/compressed; but these aren't show-stopper issues by any means. I agree, anyone who enjoys a dose of melodic Death Metal now and then (or frequently!) really should check them out.

I will be working my way through their entire back catalog, thanks to Spotify.

...and as a result of an Allmusic tangent to Insomnium, I am now also checking out In Flames. @Anovoca - If you're not aware of In Flames you should probably check them out too.

And listening to Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings (mentioned a few posts back) prompted me to dig deeper into his back catalog as well; he's apparently been very busy in the decades since leaving Genesis.

Damnit, so much music, so little time!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Buckethead - Drift (2016)

Looks like there's a $2 special on Buckethead Pikes on Bandcamp again. Picked up another handful of 'em.

One of his more mellow outings, at least until the final track. He seems to like mixing things up on the final track of the "Pikes" releases, putting something there that contrasts with the rest of the album. Overall a nice contrast to the Death Metal I've been (mostly) listening to for the past couple of days; I'm done dealing with other people's broken code for now, and have entered "wind down" mode.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 am

Marbin - Israeli Jazz (2018)

Local boys... Chicago-based jazz/rock fusion band (with roots in Israel). A bit anodyne on their first couple of releases, but really seem to have found their groove in the past few years. This one is really good; they seem to have figured out how to capture the intensity of their live shows in the studio.

First became aware of them several years ago, when they opened for Allan Holdsworth (may he RIP) at a small local venue.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Anovoca
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Wi

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:16 am

just brew it! wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Anovoca wrote:
Insomnium - Shadows Of The Dying Sun

A new discovery for me and an absolute must listen to any Opeth fan.

I made a note of this, and finally got around to checking them out. Currently listening to their 2006 release, Above The Weeping World. I agree, they're very good! IMO the songs don't seem quite as varied in composition/structure as Opeth, and the mix seems a bit muddy/compressed; but these aren't show-stopper issues by any means. I agree, anyone who enjoys a dose of melodic Death Metal now and then (or frequently!) really should check them out.

I will be working my way through their entire back catalog, thanks to Spotify.

...and as a result of an Allmusic tangent to Insomnium, I am now also checking out In Flames. @Anovoca - If you're not aware of In Flames you should probably check them out too.

And listening to Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings (mentioned a few posts back) prompted me to dig deeper into his back catalog as well; he's apparently been very busy in the decades since leaving Genesis.

Damnit, so much music, so little time!


Yup I enjoy the occasional In Flames. I have also recently added Be'lakor and Swallow the Sun to my Plex server for some more melodic death metal variety. Other good bands to check out if you havent heard of them are Daylight Dies. I just booked my hotel room for memorial day weekend to go see Insomnium play in Madison, Wi. I look forward to much good music, and many many craft beer.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral
 
End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Upper Canada

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:35 am

The Stone Roses - All for One
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" - Colin McRae

"If you drive an auto or a dual-clutch you should hang your head in shame." - EU
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24504
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Someday - No More Kings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtfYZj38_W0

I love this song and the message it holds. The guy is obviously going through a period of self-doubt or maybe "Imposter Syndrome" (which I identify with that), and he seems to be daydreaming about when he was a kid and dreamed big. Plus the musicality is just top-notch. I love I love all of their music, and Pete Mitchell (one of the founders) has some solo stuff (mostly original but some covers) that's also great. Not heavy or hard at all, if you like something that's a little lighter on the ears than other posts in this thread. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51526
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:34 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
... a little lighter on the ears than other posts in this thread. :lol:

Oh, c'mon, I did mention Steve Hackett (buried in there among all my recent posts about Death Metal, Buckethead, and fusion :lol:). He's pretty mellow. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24504
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
... a little lighter on the ears than other posts in this thread. :lol:

Oh, c'mon, I did mention Steve Hackett (buried in there among all my recent posts about Death Metal, Buckethead, and fusion :lol:). He's pretty mellow. :wink:

Oh I love heavier stuff, too. Some of the staples of the playlist on my phone include Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Live, Van Halen, Bad Religion, The Offspring...tons of crap from the 90s, I guess, but some of my favorites.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: farmpuma and 4 guests