Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:54 pm

On a related tangent, the USB drive in the car coughed up Genesis - "Me and Virgil" on the way home. Its only official release was on the original US version of Three Sides Live (the UK version was always "Four Sides Live") and it was the one song that the band (which I take to mean Tony Banks) refused to put on the 1976-1992 box set.

It's a decent story song, in the vein of "Ballad of Big Jim" in that it's set in the US West, it's got some semi-prog elements, and it's miles better than the execrable (and patently offensive, these days) "Illegal Alien" from the Shapes album.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m10MsSLotA

I had about a five year period of my life when it was nothing but jam bands in my ears. I think i'm better for it.

moe. - Plane Crash

and here is moe. covering a Gov't Mule song, so that is badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-zydXO9bI&t=5078s

edit: Also, if you don't like Warren Haynes then there is just something wrong with your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdk-MIk1aeg&t=1535s
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:53 pm

DancinJack wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m10MsSLotA

I had about a five year period of my life when it was nothing but jam bands in my ears. I think i'm better for it.

moe. - Plane Crash

and here is moe. covering a Gov't Mule song, so that is badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-zydXO9bI&t=5078s

edit: Also, if you don't like Warren Haynes then there is just something wrong with your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdk-MIk1aeg&t=1535s

Ain't nothing wrong with Moe! I'm pretty picky about jam bands. They are usually really hit or miss for me, and I think musically a lot of them are uninteresting. That being said, my favorite band is easily Perpetual Groove. Those guys are amazing and I've never understood how they didn't get a bigger following outside of the Southeast. If you're a tone junkie like I am, their lead guitarist is on a whole other level IMO. Lots of Pink Floyd elements too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm-3KHthbz0

Jambands covers of songs are always great. Pgroove has a ton that I love. Bittersweet Symphony for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Ru77LF2RA

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 am

Michael Franti & Spearhead - Yell Fire!
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:47 am

SecretMaster wrote:
Ain't nothing wrong with Moe! I'm pretty picky about jam bands. They are usually really hit or miss for me, and I think musically a lot of them are uninteresting. That being said, my favorite band is easily Perpetual Groove. Those guys are amazing and I've never understood how they didn't get a bigger following outside of the Southeast. If you're a tone junkie like I am, their lead guitarist is on a whole other level IMO. Lots of Pink Floyd elements too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm-3KHthbz0

Jambands covers of songs are always great. Pgroove has a ton that I love. Bittersweet Symphony for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Ru77LF2RA

You're not telling me anything I don't know! :) I have seen Perpetual Groove probably 5 times? Only two of those were them being the lead, but I wasn't upset they were at the other shows. The jam bands tend to stick together and play a ton of shows together. I also went to Wakarusa five or six times so I saw most of the popular jam bands over the past couple decades a few times just at those shows.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:45 am

DancinJack wrote:
You're not telling me anything I don't know! :) I have seen Perpetual Groove probably 5 times? Only two of those were them being the lead, but I wasn't upset they were at the other shows. The jam bands tend to stick together and play a ton of shows together. I also went to Wakarusa five or six times so I saw most of the popular jam bands over the past couple decades a few times just at those shows.

I know I'm definitely in the double digits for seeing them, but beyond that I have no idea. I really missed out on the jam scene when it was peaking (IMO) from the early-mid 00's (is there a name to describe the 2000-2010 decade yet?) as I hadn't even hit college yet - something that's always made me a little jealous. Then again living in Wisconsin the last 4 years has really limited a lot of live music I've wanted to see as well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 am

SecretMaster wrote:
(is there a name to describe the 2000-2010 decade yet?)

I've seen them referred to as the "aughts".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aughts
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 am

SecretMaster wrote:
I know I'm definitely in the double digits for seeing them, but beyond that I have no idea. I really missed out on the jam scene when it was peaking (IMO) from the early-mid 00's (is there a name to describe the 2000-2010 decade yet?) as I hadn't even hit college yet - something that's always made me a little jealous. Then again living in Wisconsin the last 4 years has really limited a lot of live music I've wanted to see as well.

Those were my college years, so I was prime for jam band indoctrination.

I saw a ton of similar (at least they all kinda got lumped together) type bands through those years (2002-ish to 2010). Gov't Mule, Heartless Bastards, Moe., Umphrey's Mcgee (multiple times), Son Volt (Jay Farrar), Drive-By Truckers (Jason Isbell), Wilco, String Cheese (duh - and Trey by himself a few times), Phish, WSP, Keller Williams, Disco Biscuits, STS9, Tea Leaf Green, YMSB, and the list could go on forever. Some of these were festivals, some were smaller shows. I still had A TON of fun at most these shows.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:32 am

DancinJack wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

Those were my college years, so I was prime for jam band indoctrination.

I saw a ton of similar (at least they all kinda got lumped together) type bands through those years (2002-ish to 2010). Gov't Mule, Heartless Bastards, Moe., Umphrey's Mcgee (multiple times), Son Volt (Jay Farrar), Drive-By Truckers (Jason Isbell), Wilco, String Cheese (duh - and Trey by himself a few times), Phish, WSP, Keller Williams, Disco Biscuits, STS9, Tea Leaf Green, YMSB, and the list could go on forever. Some of these were festivals, some were smaller shows. I still had A TON of fun at most these shows.

I haven't really gotten into Drive-by Truckers, but Isbell's solo stuff (Southeastern and later) is just amazing. Him, Sturgill Simpson, and Josh Ritter are at the top of my current alt-country/Americana rotation. Big Something is the newest band in the "jam" genre that I'm really keen on.

just brew it! wrote:

I've definitely seen/heard that before, I just never put two and two together until you just mentioned it.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:
(is there a name to describe the 2000-2010 decade yet?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aughts
Oh man. Every time I try to refer to them as this everyone looks at me weird. Probably justly so.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 pm

I don't think I've ever heard someone call them the "aughts", but I suppose that's better than calling them the "naughties".
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I've definitely heard them called the aughts.

On a related note, I think people that have engineering backgrounds and engineering friends are far more likely to hear them called that. We used naught/aught A LOT in physics and math in college. I know this is a weird connection, but I haven't heard either of those words much outside of an engineering-type setting. I called them that to my sister a few weeks back and she had no idea what I was talking about (education background and now a lawyer).

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:51 pm

My daughter, who does not have an engineering background (but is a bit of a nerd nonetheless) agrees that "aughts" is the least bad word we have for it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Yeah, obviously that's purely anecdotal evidence and theory, but it's been consistent in my experience.

now listening to this:

Ozma - Natalie Portman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81G4_9Ddg8A

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoDh_gHDvkk

-remembering the recent homage to Bowie in the Magicians.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
It's a decent story song, in the vein of "Ballad of Big Jim" in that it's set in the US West, it's got some semi-prog elements, and it's miles better than the execrable (and patently offensive, these days) "Illegal Alien" from the Shapes album.

Heck, it was pretty offensive even in 1984. Definitely a "WTF were you thinking?" moment.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 am

Steve Hackett - Bay Of Kings (1983)

Obscure (well, previously unknown to me, at least...) classical guitar release from Mr. Hackett. Fans of his occasional acoustic interludes with Genesis take note!

The compositions and playing are great. But OMFG, why so much reverb (verb erb rb) on most of the tracks?!?? The recording engineer should be shot. And a demerit to Hackett for approving (encouraging?) this. IMO a somewhat drier sound would've suited the material much better.

joemiller
Gerbil In Training

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:09 am

Feder - Breathe

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:52 am

A good morning for some Kamelot - Haven album. Liar Liar is easily my favorite Kamelot song. Alissa White's clean vocals (3:20) at the end after laying down scream/growls the whole track is pure musical extacy. This song is one of the best showcases of her range and dynamical talent. It's so good it makes me emotionally and physically hurt.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:09 am

Got to see Judas Priest in concert on Sunday thanks to a friend who messaged me a 4pm with "can you get to DC in about an hour?"
So I've had them in my head, mostly Breaking the Law, all week.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:16 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
Got to see Judas Priest in concert on Sunday thanks to a friend who messaged me a 4pm with "can you get to DC in about an hour?"
So I've had them in my head, mostly Breaking the Law, all week.

Their cover of Green Manalishi is the JP song that tends to get stuck in my head.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 am

Marvin Hamlisch - The Entertainer
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:33 am

April Wine - Harder...Faster (1980)

Obscure Canadian rockers who have been active off and on since the late '60s. IIRC I saw them open for Rush once way back in the day. Found this album (which dates back to around when I saw them) on Spotify.

In a rather bizarre choice, they opted to close what is otherwise an album of fairly generic straight-ahead rock-n-roll tunes with a cover version of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man. They do a pretty credible job on it too. WTF! :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Obscure Canadian rockers who have been active off and on since the late '60s. IIRC I saw them open for Rush once way back in the day. Found this album (which dates back to around when I saw them) on Spotify.

In a rather bizarre choice, they opted to close what is otherwise an album of fairly generic straight-ahead rock-n-roll tunes with a cover version of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man. They do a pretty credible job on it too. WTF! :lol:

I have the vinyl of the next album, "The Nature of The Beast", which was their one moment in the FM rock showplace (at least up here in the Northeast) but, like always, JBI knows how to make me spend. That is a ROCKING Schizoid Man.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I have the vinyl of the next album, "The Nature of The Beast", which was their one moment in the FM rock showplace (at least up here in the Northeast) but, like always, JBI knows how to make me spend. That is a ROCKING Schizoid Man.

You're welcome. :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Deep Purple - Rapture Of The Deep (2005)

I'd pretty much completely ignored Deep Purple after their heyday. To my loss, it would seem, as there's some decent material in their later repertoire that I'm discovering for the first time. This is the post-Blackmore/Lord lineup, with Steve Morse on guitar and Don Airey on keyboards; but it works. Retro? Definitely. But in a good way. (OK, I'm a little biased, I'm a Steve Morse fan.)

I guess they're also a little bitter about the '80s; check out the lyrics to the track "MTV": https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... ksIxvyiPhE

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Grand Funk Railroad - We're an American Band
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)

Deep Purple soldiers on into the 2010's, with mixed (but generally positive IMO) results.

Prog Blues Metal Lite with Hammond organ galore and Steve Morse and an aging Ian Gillian on vocals? Yeah, I think that sums it up reasonably well. If that floats your boat, go for it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Deep Purple Infinite (2017)

Continuing my exploration of Deep Purple's recent releases, via Spotify. They're still alive and kicking, doing that retro thing.

Don Airey can do a damn good Jon Lord impersonation when he wants to, and Steve Morse still sounds nothing like Blackmore when he solos (not that this was ever the intent, he's a unique voice on the guitar); but I can't help feeling like I'm listening to some weird mash-up of classic Deep Purple and the Dixie Dregs. Gillian sounds a little reedy/raspy compared to his younger self (smoker, I assume).

In the vein of the April Wine album I mentioned a few posts back, this one also includes an unexpected cover track -- "Roadhouse Blues" (originally by The Doors). Why is this such a popular track to cover? BOC covered it too, on one of their live albums.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
My daughter, who does not have an engineering background (but is a bit of a nerd nonetheless) agrees that "aughts" is the least bad word we have for it.

I'm pretty sure the 1900-1910 decade was also called the "aughts" or the "aughties".
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x