Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Deep Purple - Bananas (2003)

Apparently out of print and unavailable even as a stream (Spotify, Amazon, etc.), other than as a YouTube post of questionable origin.

Some decent songs in the Deep Purple vein, but different. Jon Lord's departure (and replacement by Don Airey) seems to have given Steve Morse a somewhat increased role in the musical direction of this warhorse classic rock band.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Yeah, I've been checking out what Deep Purple's been doing since I lost track of them ~3 decades ago. :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:39 pm

In the car around 90 minutes ago, Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' played on the radio (incidentally, the official VEVO channel only has a live version). As I cranked it up, my daughter said, and I quote, "this song is 'meh'." I almost hit the guard rail. :lol:

Speaking of Michael Jackson, Steve Aoki's remix of Thriller is pretty great.

edit: aaaaaand I just bought a a couple Michael Jackson compilations on Amazon. I'll be ripping those on Wednesday for sure. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:02 am

Los Lobos - The Road to Gila Bend
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Sons Of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony (2017)

New-ish "supergroup" with Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian (both ex Dream Theater), Billy Sheehan (ex Mr. Big, Niacin, Winery Dogs), Jeff Scott Soto (ex Yngwie Malmsteen, Journey), and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (ex Guns 'n' Roses). I'm really getting into this album; good stuff.

Speaking of Deep Purple (sort of...), check out this track from the Sons Of Apollo album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hdGzugGVBw

Really sounds like a long-lost Deep Purple song to me...

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Muse - Supermassive Black Hole from Black Holes And Revelations

I still really like their older stuff. New stuff is just OK imo.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:55 am

ELO & Olivia Newton John - Xanadu.
What a bizarre movie. I remember stumbling out of the second-run theater wondering if I had somehow dreamed the entire thing up. But it's on TV right now & just as strange as I remember. :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 am

just brew it! wrote:
Sons Of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony (2017)

New-ish "supergroup" with Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian (both ex Dream Theater), Billy Sheehan (ex Mr. Big, Niacin, Winery Dogs), Jeff Scott Soto (ex Yngwie Malmsteen, Journey), and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (ex Guns 'n' Roses). I'm really getting into this album; good stuff.

Speaking of Deep Purple (sort of...), check out this track from the Sons Of Apollo album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hdGzugGVBw

Really sounds like a long-lost Deep Purple song to me...

Man, this is cool.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:17 am

Listening to lots of random music and watching/listening to videos on "FLAC vs _____" Yeah, I went there.

Trying to determine if there is any REAL perceived benefits to audiophile equipment and using something like FLAC vs a properly encoded audio file now that I got these Sennheiser PC37x. Granted I believe they sound amazing, especially for the money, but they might not hold a candle to some of the setups the rest of you guys are sporting. Wish I could have hands on to some of those other setups to see what, if anything, I am missing.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:31 am

Welch wrote:
Wish I could have hands on to some of those other setups to see what, if anything, I am missing.

Believe me, if you get the chance and then perceive you're missing something, you'll hate yourself. Better to just enjoy what you have. :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:31 am

Well, unless you're sliding down the slope of nervosa like me, who just rips everything to WAV, FLAC is the proper encoding method. Just as a review, FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. You're squeezing the file, but it unpacks back to full 16/44.1 (or whatever source you had).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:56 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Welch wrote:
Wish I could have hands on to some of those other setups to see what, if anything, I am missing.

Believe me, if you get the chance and then perceive you're missing something, you'll hate yourself. Better to just enjoy what you have. :lol:

Yeah, I sort of feel like that already :lol: . I sort of opened Pandora's box by getting these Senns, should have just stuck with the $50 Corsair headsets.

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, unless you're sliding down the slope of nervosa like me, who just rips everything to WAV, FLAC is the proper encoding method. Just as a review, FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. You're squeezing the file, but it unpacks back to full 16/44.1 (or whatever source you had).

Yeah, I understand the technical bits behind the formats, just don't know how it TRULY applies to reality. I think I have a fairly good idea after watching a few videos on the subject, but still there seems to be a lot of people arguing against those fairly technical explanations too. When I first tested this headset out, I did it with some FLAC audio files found here.

http://helpguide.sony.net/high-res/samp ... index.html

What is great about these I feel is that they give you the FLAC and then the 192kbps AAC version that I'd assume was compressed from the FLAC source that they provide. Theoretically if you could hear anything being lost, then that is your litmus test regarding FLAC vs other formats. Also pretty cool because they give you listening notes to use for comparison. Placebo effect is bound to take a hold if you don't listen to the two blindly though.
Last edited by Welch on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:04 am

Captain Ned wrote:

At least you admit you're on the spectrum. :wink:

Your refusal to use even lossless compression baffles me, TBH. I could see avoiding FLAC if it was a proprietary format, or not already an established industry standard; but neither of those two drawbacks apply.

As for me, I think a combination of aging ears (and too many rock concerts), combined with steady improvements in lossy compression, have conspired to render the issue mostly moot. These days I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 160 kbit OGG and a lossless file on most material without doing a careful direct A/B comparison (and depending on the material, maybe not even then).

I still store stuff as FLAC on my home network, given that disk space has gotten so cheap; but for mobile playback I use the above mentioned 160 kbit OGG, as that's what I've empirically determined to be "good enough" for me. As luck would have it, this compression ratio has also meant that the increases in capacity of micro-SD cards have stayed one step ahead of the size of my music collection. I've currently got a 200 GB card (mostly full) in my phone.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:26 am

WAV at home (just bought a SONOS Connect and it's a mighty fine device), WAV on the work lappy, WAV on the portable HD. 320kbps CBR MP3 on phone and car USB stick. 367 GiB WAV, 85.3 GiB MP3.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
WAV at home (just bought a SONOS Connect and it's a mighty fine device), WAV on the work lappy, WAV on the portable HD. 320kbps CBR MP3 on phone and car USB stick. 367 GiB WAV, 85.3 GiB MP3.
You monster! Tell us you at least have filesystem compression enabled! Think of the bits you could save!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
You monster! Tell us you at least have filesystem compression enabled! Think of the bits you could save!

Nope. Those bits are entirely unmolested. Disk space is cheap these days.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Nope. Those bits are entirely unmolested. Disk space is cheap these days.
Your monstrosity truly knows no bounds. Bits don't grow on trees, you know.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Bits don't grow on trees, you know.

They've been known to incur latency on trees, though (RFC 1149).

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Bits don't grow on trees, you know.

They've been known to incur latency on trees, though (RFC 1149).
All the more reason to use compression, so the pigeon's airspeed isn't unnecessarily laden.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:00 am

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson (1996)

Another tangent spawned by the recent Insomnium and In Flames (melodic Death Metal) explorations. If I had to guess, this must've been one of the inspirations for Insomnium's Winter's Gate (2016)... they're both concept albums consisting of a single extended suite that attempts to tell a story.

Edit: Linkage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6lJaiHYIc

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 pm

Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows (2011)

Continuing down the Melodic Death Metal rabbit hole... and a deep hole this seems to be indeed! Had no idea there were so many bands in this genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQ_tHmZlRQ

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:23 am

Loggins & Messina - House At Pooh Corner

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns (2004)

The latest chapter in my MDM explorations. I'm quite enjoying this; they seem to have the right mix of aggression and melodicism (and reasonably decent production values) to hit the sweet spot for me.

So far, I'd say Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Amon Amarth are my favorites of the genre. Early In Flames, and Edge Of Sanity are decent. Carcass is a little on the thrashy side. Dark Tranquility is on deck, after I finish checking out Amon Amarth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlC5TEfr3c

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Until around 3 years ago I had pretty much avoided anything with growled vocals. The belated discovery that I liked Progressive Death Metal (Opeth cracked that door open for me) made me realize I was missing out on a lot of good music. I actually listened to Opeth's albums in roughly reverse chronological order, starting with Pale Communion (which has no Death Metal elements whatsoever, and all clean vocals), figuring I would stop when it got too "Death Metaly" for me. I made it all the way back to their debut album. :wink:

Blackwater Park is a masterpiece.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Opeth is a decent enough band when they're doing death metal, but they are frikkin' awesome when they're playing clean. Pale communion and Damnation are both amazing albums.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:39 pm

cphite wrote:
Opeth is a decent enough band when they're doing death metal, but they are frikkin' awesome when they're playing clean. Pale communion and Damnation are both amazing albums.

Yes, I love both of those. I thought Sorceress was disappointing though; none of the songs really grabbed me the way most of Pale Communion did.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 am

cphite wrote:

Damnation is probably my favorite all time album. Nothing like listening to those songs on long summer nights driving through the northwoods of Wisconsin after a gig. Also spending my time nose deep in H.P.Lovecraft when I first heard the album help add to the effect.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns (2004)

The latest chapter in my MDM explorations. I'm quite enjoying this; they seem to have the right mix of aggression and melodicism (and reasonably decent production values) to hit the sweet spot for me.

So far, I'd say Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Amon Amarth are my favorites of the genre. Early In Flames, and Edge Of Sanity are decent. Carcass is a little on the thrashy side. Dark Tranquility is on deck, after I finish checking out Amon Amarth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlC5TEfr3c

Glad to see that Insomnium recommendation made it so high on the list. Since there are only so many hours in the day I will spare you a link to the three disc 2h45m long Swallow The Sun album ~ Songs From the North I,II,III I am currently enjoying. You want to talk about rabbit holes, this starts out MDM for album 1, turns folk in album 2, and finishes with funeral death metal.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Anovoca wrote:
Glad to see that Insomnium recommendation made it so high on the list. Since there are only so many hours in the day I will spare you a link to the three disc 2h45m long Swallow The Sun album ~ Songs From the North I,II,III I am currently enjoying. You want to talk about rabbit holes, this starts out MDM for album 1, turns folk in album 2, and finishes with funeral death metal.

Well I had decided to take a few days' break from seeking out new (to me) stuff, to give me time to more fully digest the things I'd already found; but I guess this needs to be added to the pile based on your description. :lol:

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Well I had decided to take a few days' break from seeking out new (to me) stuff, to give me time to more fully digest the things I'd already found; but I guess this needs to be added to the pile based on your description. :lol:

Definitely not an easy listen. I don't go out of my way to listen to FDM but I can appreciate its power to convey despair (Thinking on the earliest Katatonia albums like Dance of December Souls). When used as a conclusion to a 3 hour tale it is strangely beautiful; but there in lies the challenge, listening attentively through all 3 hours. I would recommend having the lyrics handy for disc three. Don't expect to hear what he says except for when the songs turn into spoken verse or the occasional monk style chanting.