Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:58 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Classic Brit metal. I prefer JP with Halford though... probably because that's what I grew up listening to. Hearing his replacement sing those songs just doesn't sound right.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Brit metal? The album was recorded in Stowe, VT and it was the reunion of the five original members. Huge MTV hit in 1984 or so.

Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers. I know most of those locations. Even the JP and IM lovers in the fraternity house liked this album.

That said, I think Ian Gillian's best work ever was in Jesus Christ Superstar, specifically "Gethsemane".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Brit metal? The album was recorded in Stowe, VT and it was the reunion of the five original members. Huge MTV hit in 1984 or so.

Eh??? The original members were all Brits, the studio version of that track was released in 1980 (and recorded in England), and Rob Halford is most definitely not the singer on the linked clip. What are you goin' on about?

Edit: Oh, you're referring to the DP album, not the JP one...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 pm

No, I haven't lost my mind. Well, at least for now. Sorry for any misdirection.

DP (and the eternal spinoffs) was as far as I ever got into Brit Metal. I, as a new college senior in the fall of 1984, found it amusing and satisfying that a band I'd spun many times found themselves in, of all places, Stowe, VT to record a "reunion" album and that I could see the MTV vid and say "I've been there, there, and there".

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Anovoca wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I've decided to start with Leviathan and Blood Mountain. CD order placed with Amazon, MP3 Auto-Rip copies downloaded. Will listen while I'm working this afternoon.

Those two albums are kind of like orchid and morningrise. The purests will always say those were the best while the casual listeners don't touch them because they are so rough around the edges.

Edit: 4wiw, Crack the Skye is probably my favorite album. it has the best balance of prog and metal and likes to suck you in and take you on a pretty epic trip. If you want to listen to their newest 4 albums just shoot me a PM, I have them all on my PLEX Media server.

After doing a bit of research I decided on the two I picked because it seemed like it was a transitional period for them. Crack The Skye will most likely be next, though I'm liking Leviathan well enough that I may backfill their first album Remission as well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
DP (and the eternal spinoffs) was as far as I ever got into Brit Metal. I, as a new college senior in the fall of 1984, found it amusing and satisfying that a band I'd spun many times found themselves in, of all places, Stowe, VT to record a "reunion" album and that I could see the MTV vid and say "I've been there, there, and there".

TBH I'm a lot more into Metal now that I've hit my '50s than I was back when I was in my teens and '20s (go figure). I didn't own any JP, DP, or Sabbath albums back in the day (though my wife, who I started dating when I was a teenager, was very into JP and IM so I had ample exposure to their music through her). It's been mainly in the past decade or so that I've been going back and exploring classic metal bands in more depth than just what was played on radio/MTV (or by my wife). And even if Metal bands like Opeth, Cynic, Mastodon, etc. had been around back then I probably wouldn't have paid any attention to them. (Atheist was around back then, and I didn't know who they were until recently.)

Maybe it's my version of a mid-life crisis or something. :lol:

Edit: Speaking of JP, their cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Green Manalishi" really rocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgnOJXIvu6s
Not nearly as incongruous as them doing a Joan Baez cover though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLDazyvMMGw

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:09 pm

This is going to sound VERY weird, because it is.

1972. Prattville, Alabama. I'm all of 8YO. We're halfway through our year of involuntary TDY in this hellhole suburb of Montgomery (yeah, I was there when Wallace got shot, and the black families in the neighborhood went to ground for a couple of days) due to Dad's need to complete Air Command & Staff College to progress in his AF Reserve slot. Dad, the most areligious man I know, comes home one day with a copy of the Decca brown-jacket LP version (the one with the thick lyric book) of Jesus Christ Superstar. Why? This will forever be a puzzle. He avoids religion, he hates rock music, he's not all that fond of modernity.

Unknown whys aside, I've been granted stereo privileges after proving I won't mess it up (record and stylus cleaning were unknown in 1974), so I rack it up on the the stacker turntable. I am immediately taken by Ian Gillian's voice, and that big lyric book mentions DP. Come 1981, college, and access to music that you just couldn't buy in small-town VT at the time (Boston, Styx, and Supertramp albums were easy, though), and I snapped up the entire DP discography to the time from my meager earnings as a dishwasher/short-order cook at the local greasy spoon.

I now possess that Decca LP copy, though no matter how much think I dedicate to the question, the reason for the purchase never comes to light.

just brew it! wrote:
Maybe it's my version of a mid-life crisis or something. :lol:
The one that I let pass always had names like Ferrari, Porsche, or Harley attached to it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm

My intro to prog rock came about in a similarly odd way (and at a similar age). Mom picked up ITCOTKC and listened to it obsessively for several months. That album is one of my indelibly etched childhood memories.

JC Superstar was indeed in fairly heavy rotation for a while as well; should've probably grabbed the original vinyl when I ran across it when we were cleaning out Dad's house a couple of years ago. I'm sure it was worn all to hell, but in retrospect I wouldn't mind having it for nostalgic value.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
My intro to prog rock came about in a similarly odd way (and at a similar age). Mom picked up ITCOTKC and listened to it obsessively for several months. That album is one of my indelibly etched childhood memories.

That was one of my first in my freshman year ('cause there was no chance of hearing that in Rutland, VT), but I'm pretty sure that it was a dorm-mate spinning Fragile and "Roundabout" that hooked me at that very moment.

There was also this girl I approached with all of the social skills of a Vogon who ignored that for a bit and turned me on to Genesis in that same freshman year. Janice, I apologize.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
JC Superstar was indeed in fairly heavy rotation for a while as well; should've probably grabbed the original vinyl when I ran across it when we were cleaning out Dad's house a couple of years ago. I'm sure it was worn all to hell, but in retrospect I wouldn't mind having it for nostalgic value.

The brown-label CD transfer is quite good, to the point where the Decca LP is now "archival, maybe worth something someday".

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
There was also this girl I approached with all of the social skills of a Vogon who ignored that for a bit and turned me on to Genesis in that same freshman year. Janice, I apologize.

TBH I don't recall who or what originally piqued my interest in Genesis. It certainly wasn't my future wife, who has always had an intense irrational hatred of them. Pretty sure the first of their albums I acquired was Seconds Out though.

Seconds Out and Hemispheres were my favorite two albums to crank sophomore year of college when I just wanted to relax and zone out. I had a beat-up old (but incredibly comfy) chair someone had given me when they moved out, which was positioned at the prime listening spot in the center of my room. Total bliss. I think I drove a few other people nuts (especially the guy in the room directly above mine).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 pm

In my Uni days I had 3 comfort albums. "Crime of the Century", "Foxtrot", and "Fragile".

I didn't realize the quality of the headphones (Yamaha HP-1, planar magnetic circa 1981) Dad bought me before uni until many years after school. One of many points I missed.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
In my Uni days I had 3 comfort albums. "Crime of the Century", "Foxtrot", and "Fragile".

Three of my wife's most-disliked bands, as it turns out. (Hey, I married her anyway... :lol:)

FWIW I have the MFSL vinyl of Crime of the Century... (speaking of "maybe worth something someday")

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 pm

just brew it! wrote:
[FWIW I have the MFSL vinyl of Crime of the Century... (speaking of "maybe worth something someday")

I have a UHQR of "I Robot". The cats have killed the case, but the vinyl is pristine and has been played 3 times or so. There's at least one MFSL in there as well, but I'd have to grep the collection to be sure.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 pm

I have the MFSL pressing of that too.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 pm

You really don't want to know the market pricing on a UHQR "The Wall".

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm

While we're taking this little trip down musical memory lane, it got me to thinking about how my musical tastes have shifted over the years. The progression has been:

Pop and Rock -> Prog Rock -> Fusion, Jazz, and Classical -> Metal (mostly Prog Metal, with some catching up on classic '70s/'80s Metal I ignored the first time around)

It's cumulative, in that I still actively listen to and acquire all of these genres, though my purchases in the Pop realm are now limited to nostalgic back-filling of stuff from the '70s and '80s (I don't care for contemporary Pop music).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Once we reenact the requested scene from Sis Of Fish, it will all become clear.

I never did the prog/jazz/fusion thing (well, like any decent late '70s kid, I did like Chuck Mangione), but some of the most treasured vinyl in my collection is the first three Nektar albums.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I never did the prog/jazz/fusion thing (well, like any decent late '70s kid, I did like Chuck Mangione), but some of the most treasured vinyl in my collection is the first three Nektar albums.

Y'know, never really got into Nektar. Something else to add to the queue, I guess.

My intro to fusion -- and by extension, jazz -- was by way of Bill Bruford's solo projects. Initially, I found his first solo album to be just plain weird... but it grew on me. When he released his second album One Of A Kind I was hooked, and got sucked down the rabbit hole. I'm still the admin of the Fusenet YahooGroup (which can trace its roots all the way back to an early '90s e-mail listserver for Allan Holdsworth fans). Like most of Yahoo these days, Fusenet is pretty much dead.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 am

just brew it! wrote:
While we're taking this little trip down musical memory lane, it got me to thinking about how my musical tastes have shifted over the years. The progression has been:

Pop and Rock -> Prog Rock -> Fusion, Jazz, and Classical -> Metal (mostly Prog Metal, with some catching up on classic '70s/'80s Metal I ignored the first time around)

It's cumulative, in that I still actively listen to and acquire all of these genres, though my purchases in the Pop realm are now limited to nostalgic back-filling of stuff from the '70s and '80s (I don't care for contemporary Pop music).

OK, JBI, I must ask... what is "contemporary Pop music"? Are you referring to what Country turned into, or something else?

Currently listening to: Pirate Rap (specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZ7V8LYFaM)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:28 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Re Mastodon:
just brew it! wrote:
Anovoca wrote:
Edit: 4wiw, Crack the Skye is probably my favorite album. it has the best balance of prog and metal and likes to suck you in and take you on a pretty epic trip.

After doing a bit of research I decided on the two I picked because it seemed like it was a transitional period for them. Crack The Skye will most likely be next, though I'm liking Leviathan well enough that I may backfill their first album Remission as well.

Already caved and ordered Crack The Skye too. Listening to the MP3 auto-rip now, CD should arrive in a couple of days.

Vhalidictes wrote:
OK, JBI, I must ask... what is "contemporary Pop music"? Are you referring to what Country turned into, or something else?

I was using the term more or less literally. Current (or recent, as in from the past decade or so) music that gets a lot of play on mainstream radio stations. There's very little of it that I find interesting/engaging/enjoyable. Occasionally there'll be something catchy that is worth a second or third listen, but generally that's about it.

While I indeed have very little Country in the collection, there are occasional exceptions on the edges of the genre. Shelby Lynne (many of whose albums would probably be considered Country Crossover or Americana) is really good (I'm sure Captain Ned understands the female-contralto-vocalist thing...); I also have a fondness for early Eagles and Linda Ronstadt (nostalgia for my formative years, no doubt).

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Dipping into the archives again this evening...

Fire Merchants - (self-titled) (1989)

Semi-obscure album I'd describe as "instrumental Jazz/Prog/Metal Fusion", featuring the power trio lineup of John Goodsall (Brand X) on guitar, Chester Thompson (Zappa, and Genesis' touring lineup for many years) on drums, and Doug Lunn (who passed recently, RIP) on bass. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySiveJq53E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV70b8wlMwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5EeBXUbam0

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
Re Mastodon:
just brew it! wrote:
Anovoca wrote:
Edit: 4wiw, Crack the Skye is probably my favorite album. it has the best balance of prog and metal and likes to suck you in and take you on a pretty epic trip.

Already caved and ordered Crack The Skye too. Listening to the MP3 auto-rip now, CD should arrive in a couple of days.

Crack The Skye is indeed very good, but I also quite enjoy the raw crunch of Leviathan. Not sure which one I like better. :wink:

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Crack The Skye is indeed very good, but I also quite enjoy the raw crunch of Leviathan. Not sure which one I like better. :wink:

The good news is, there is no need to choose. Blood and Thunder will always be there for you through thick and thin. Glad to hear you like it though! I was worried that you went off and bought their oldest two records after I intentionally recommended their newer and more polished ones. If you really want an old school trip. Mastodon recorded the intro song for Aqua Teen Hunger Force : Movie Film for Theaters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loqYlYqtsmY
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Faith Divides us - Death Unites Us - Paradise Lost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BONcpuDcrc
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Anovoca wrote:
Glad to hear you like it though! I was worried that you went off and bought their oldest two records after I intentionally recommended their newer and more polished ones.

Well the choice of albums to start with wasn't just a random whim. I read some online reviews and streamed a few songs before deciding. :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Frederik Thordendal and Special Defects - Sol Niger Within (1997)

Side project by the guitarist from metal band Meshuggah. I was not aware of this album's existence until earlier this evening, but given Thordendal's unique approach to metal (extreme metal rhythm guitar meets jazzy legato solos...), I was intrigued. The whole thing is posted on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx4e1pdq1Y

Unfortunately the CD is out of print and rare, commanding ridiculous prices for a used copy. BUT... there's an Amazon MP3 download of it, and since the entire album is a single 43-minute track, the entire download is 99 cents (the price of a single track)! :lol:

This is some seriously warped stuff, with some sick (in a good way) guitar playing on it.

Hmm... apparently still in print in Sweden, and not unreasonably priced for an import. I may still spring for the physical CD at some point.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 am

simakDialog - Demi Masa (2009)

A little off the beaten path (OK, maybe a little more off the beaten path... :lol:) this morning -- time for some southeast Asian jazz fusion. The name of the album means "for the sake of time" in Indonesian. "Normal" keyboards/guitar/bass, but with ethnic Indonesian percussion instead of a western drumkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q0-jwcuQD0