Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
and John Wetton on "Afterglow"?

The song that shall be played at my funeral, specifically the 7 MAY 1980 version from the Lyceum Ballroom. Even thinking about that song causes me to tear up.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Here's Chris Squire's Ricky played by, of all people, Steve Howe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQ5wfY-tCI&t=242s
Well, they needed something for Steve to do since it's a Rabin tune! I imagine Wakeman was pretty bored playing Tony Kaye's parts triggering a few synth samples... :lol:

Well, Rick did get to wave around his keytar.

Truth be told, they should have just done "Close to the Edge" or "The Gates of Delirium". Asking for TFTO would have been too much (though not for me).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Speaking of Yes (hadn't really been following what they've been up to lately), apparently they've been doing some shows where the setlist consists of sides 1 and 4 of Tales plus the entirety of Drama? Odd choice of material for a live set.

As you're well aware, I'm not a huge fan of Tales, but also feel that Drama should get more respect.

And on that note, it's probably about time for my (roughly) annual spin of Tales, to see if it has grown on me yet. :wink:

Captain Ned wrote:
Truth be told, they should have just done "Close to the Edge" or "The Gates of Delirium". Asking for TFTO would have been too much (though not for me).

Well, for a R&R HoF induction performing the only one of their songs to ever hit #1 was probably obligatory.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:57 pm

TFTO is an inside joke for us which no one under 50 will ever understand.

That said, this is what I wish I could be in my love of Genesis. I just don't have the requisite skills or kilobucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V7Dqf-FQL4

just brew it! wrote:
Well, for a R&R HoF induction performing the only one of their songs to ever hit #1 was probably obligatory.
I hate to say it, but you're right. At least Steve Perry showed up for Journey.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
That said, this is what I wish I could be in my love of Genesis. I just don't have the requisite skills or kilobucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V7Dqf-FQL4

Holy crap!

If I had to nit-pick, his bass playing style is more Squire/Lee than Rutherford... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :wink:

Edit: Also mildly disappointed he didn't include "Duke's End". But still, I repeat... holy crap!

Edit 2: Oh, he's done a Rush tribute too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW57r5StUBA

Edit 3: He's a fantastic drummer. Peart's drumming on Subdivisions never fails to make me smile, and this guy nails it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:53 pm

I can't imagine the hours it took him to mix that for the vid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Is there anything she can't sing? Next thing I know, you'll find a clip of her singing "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's "Turandot".

Oscillator
Gerbil

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:17 am

Found this on Pandora:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUZ4zvah2k

Also been listening to this a lot lately...it's a real guilty pleasure. The short version is from DDR, while the long version is from another rhythm game called Pop'n Music. Alternate version and live video also available (clearly, I know more about this goofy song than is healthy).

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 am

Yes - Big Generator (1987)

Dug this up after the Yes chatter earlier. Probably haven't listened to it in at least a decade.

Seems like a Yes album in name only... in spite of having Anderson, Squire, White, and Kaye on board, most of it is fairly straightforward '80s pop-rock. The title track feels like they could have called it "Owner Of A Lonely Heart Part II". "Shoot High, Aim Low" is decent (and features Anderson and Rabin trading off on lead vocals). The penultimate track "I'm Running" finally breaks out of the mold and manages to go in some interesting directions over its 7+ minute length, and the closer "Holy Lamb" is a stately Anderson piece that starts out in the vein of "Soon" (the closing section of "Gates of Delirium" from their Relayer album).

Overall I'd say it has its moments, but is probably for Yes completists only. The high points (IMO):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAf-SF3zLtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFdkr2_UKgA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tno-uymF-9c

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 am

Oscillator wrote:
(clearly, I know more about this goofy song than is healthy)

I'm sure several of the people who participate in this thread cross the line into OCD when it comes to music. I certainly count myself in that group; when I find a new musical tangent I like, I have a tendency to go "all in". Ned would probably 'fess up too (ask him what happened when I introduced him to the music of Djam Karet). :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:54 am

So, buying the entire (at the time) discography is OCD? Mark me down as guilty.

Oh, and Big Generator sucks. To be honest, most everything after 90125 sucks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:02 am

Captain Ned wrote:
So, buying the entire (at the time) discography is OCD?

I'd say so, especially when it is a large back catalog. And yes, I've done it too with other bands. Well, maybe not all in one order, but over a period of just a few days as it dawns on me that "Hey, I need ALL of these!"

Captain Ned wrote:
Oh, and Big Generator sucks.

I'd argue that the three tracks I linked don't suck, but obviously that's a matter of opinion. IMO the rest of it does kinda suck though. :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 am

just brew it! wrote:
I'd argue that the three tracks I linked don't suck, but obviously that's a matter of opinion. IMO the rest of it does kinda suck though. :lol:

Let's just say it's no Fragile.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:13 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Let's just say it's no Fragile.

Weeeelll... nothing else is, so that's kind of unfair. :lol: Fragile is its own unique thing.

TBH I'd probably rank CttE (and possibly Relayer) ahead of Fragile, but again that's just my humble opinion. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:15 am

just brew it! wrote:
TBH I'd probably rank CttE (and possibly Relayer) ahead of Fragile, but again that's just my humble opinion. :wink:

I can't disagree with that. Fragile holds a special place as it was my entry into the world of Yes, specifically "Roundabout".

At this point, the younger gerbils are probably wondering "what are those old codgers jabbering on about".

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 am

Herbie Hancock - Watermelon Man
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Squackett - Life Within A Day (2012)

Continuing with the Genesis/Yes tangents while listening at work today. This is a one-off side project by Chris Squire and Steve Hackett. (Squackett. Get it? Uh-huh. :roll:)

Picked this up a few years ago, listened to it a few times, then largely forgot about it. Listening to it again today I am reminded of why I didn't keep it in heavy rotation for long. There's nothing really wrong with it, but it also doesn't break much interesting ground or take any chances. Squire and Hackett's playing is top-notch, as usual... but the production is overly slick, and many of the songs just seem kind of bland. On the (few) moments where it does manage to rock out, it has an overt Led Zep feel (the title cut especially... it's rather Kashmir-ish).

To me, the overall effect on most of it is kind of like if Alan Parsons hired Squire and Hackett as session musicians for one of the later APP albums. Then Led Zep snuck into the studio in the middle of the night and messed with the backing tracks for a couple of the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_CsODiQOPk

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Joe Gilder, the guy that runs one of the home studio recording blogs I used to read has put out a lot of music over the last couple of years, and it's actually really good. Today he wrapped a YouTube series called Mix Together where he walked through the whole mix for one of his more recent songs, Mission. That song in particular will get into your brain and stick with you all day. His first album Out of Indiana has taken up permanent residence on my phone, although it's more folk-y than his recent stuff.

Oh, and he released everything as WAV format if you want to make your own lossless files from the original masters.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I can't disagree with that. Fragile holds a special place as it was my entry into the world of Yes, specifically "Roundabout".

At this point, the younger gerbils are probably wondering "what are those old codgers jabbering on about".

This young-ish Gerbil knows all about both versions of Genesis and Yes due to parental intervention. That said, not everything from that era aged so well. Country Joe and the Fish... well, let's just say that I'm not down with Folk Rock, although of course Cat Stevens has had some moments (which weren't generally on the radio).

Speaking of which.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N2UeVzxE2s

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm

The Vapors: Turning Japanese

P.S.: I followed that up with The Knack: My Sharona.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:12 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
P.S.: I followed that up with The Knack: My Sharona.

Gotta do the Scandinavian hair metal band cover version too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jo-MUEXk-c :lol:

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 am

Natalie Merchant - San Andreas Fault

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
At War With Self - Circadian Rhythm Disorder (2015)

An instrumental prog rock (plus metal and jazz influences) album based on a rather odd concept. Drummer Marco Minnemann recorded a 50+ minute drum track (supposedly all in one take), then multi-instrumentalist Glenn Snelwar subsequently composed and played music to go along with it. Although it started as a near-hour-long drum solo, it is divided into a number of segments (some of which only last a minute or two), each with a distinct mood/theme (yet they also somehow manage to flow seamlessly one into the next). Snelwar layers electric and acoustic guitars, mandolin, bass, keyboards, and even occasional flute and violin over Minnemann's polyrhythmic drum grooves.

This one gets a big thumbs up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGGRsd6wiU8 (opening "track", one of the more metal-ish ones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzDYlvtTFw (gettin' a little jazzy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BeZrRCNw40 (one of the quieter sections)

A little background on the musicians, if you're unfamiliar with them: Minnemann may be best known as "that guy who was the runner-up to replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater"; he's played with Satriani, Paul Gilbert, prog/fusion band The Aristocrats, and many other projects. Snelwar is a relative unknown (even compared to Minnemann :lol:); At War With Self (which has released 4 albums to date) is his band/project, and he also appeared on the first Gordian Knot album.

This is really bizarre, in a funny sort of way...

This I learned today: Circadian Rhythm Disorder is one of several recordings which all fall under the umbrella of Marco Minnemann's Normalizer II project. Several other musicians have also based recordings on the same drum track over roughly the past decade.

Now for the funny part. It turns out that I owned two of the others already -- Trey Gunn's Modulator, and Alex Machacek's 24 Tales. But all three of them took it in such different directions in terms of musical composition, choice of overdubbed instruments, how high the drums are in the mix at any given point, and where to place the track breaks (plus I bought them spread out over a number of years) that I didn't notice that all three albums utilize the exact same percussion track!

OK, now I need to listen to all three of them back-to-back. :lol:

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:03 am

Tasmin Archer - Sleeping Satellite

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 am

Yes - (self-titled) (1969)

Their first studio album, from before Howe and Wakeman. I just picked up the CD remaster of this. IIRC I owned the vinyl way back in the day (college), but it walked off at some point and I never replaced it. I figured I was way overdue to get a new copy. :wink:

They're obviously still trying to figure out what they want to be when they grow up, the production is a bit rough, and there's a groovy/psychedelic '60s feel to much of it. Many of the signature elements are already there though -- Squire's unique bass sound, Bruford's jazzy drum fills, Anderson's distinctive singing. Peter Banks (the original guitarist) even sounds a bit like a proto-Steve-Howe at times.

The choice (and treatment) of the covers is interesting too -- e.g. The Beatles' "Every Little Thing" gets a 2-minute instrumental jam tacked onto the beginning as an intro. There's even a bonus track of them doing "Something's Coming" (from West Side Story); I'd never heard their version before. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw0kL-mI0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUVdgBWNlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCHXYs-eX8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk9MTb53-UE

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 am

Jean-Luc Ponty - The Acatama Experience (2007)

A return to form of sorts for the prolific French jazz violinist (and former member of Frank Zappa's band). Arguably the best thing he'd done since the 1970s.

Yes, the album name is supposed to be a reference to the Atacama desert, but apparently nobody involved in the project realized that it was misspelled until after the album was released. The proofreading f**kup kind of reminds me of Bill Connors' Theme To The Gaurdian album -- it's one thing to have a typo buried somewhere in the credits, but in the name of the frikkin' album? :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Patrick Moraz - Resonance (2000)

After his stints with Yes and the Moody Blues in the '70s and '80s, Moraz seemed to more or less fade into obscurity, but he's continued to tour and sporadically release solo albums ever since. This album consists of an hour of original compositions/improvisations for solo acoustic piano. The material ranges from neoclassical, to jazzy and even bluesy themes. He's an amazing (and underrated) pianist, and this is, quite frankly, a brilliant album.

Aside from his playing on Yes' Relayer (1974) -- which I absolutely love BTW -- I tend to prefer his acoustic releases. This one, Windows of Time (1994), and Music for Piano and Drums (1983) with Bill Bruford, are high points IMO. The forays into electronica on some of his other solo albums (and his other collaboration with Bruford) can turn into a bit of a snooze-fest, unfortunately.

Bumper
Gerbil

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 pm

https://youtu.be/bZ2ePtVMJ74

Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Myth Science Solar Arkestra - Sleeping Beauty

Bumper
Gerbil

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Jean-Luc Ponty - The Acatama Experience (2007)

A return to form of sorts for the prolific French jazz violinist (and former member of Frank Zappa's band). Arguably the best thing he'd done since the 1970s.

Yes, the album name is supposed to be a reference to the Atacama desert, but apparently nobody involved in the project realized that it was misspelled until after the album was released. The proofreading f**kup kind of reminds me of Bill Connors' Theme To The Gaurdian album -- it's one thing to have a typo buried somewhere in the credits, but in the name of the frikkin' album? :lol:

that's good stuff. I love the flow out in front. I have to give it a full listen sometime in the future.