Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 am

Cream - N.S.U.
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

Oscillator
Gerbil

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:36 am

Who else remembers Project Gotham Racing 2 on the original Xbox? 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCvzFA-_Pc

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Oscillator wrote:
Who else remembers Project Gotham Racing 2 on the original Xbox? 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCvzFA-_Pc

The best (well, weirdest) music from that series is actually found in Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. Two examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGcCdXNAtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmdYz57YD0
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Holdsworth/Haslip/Pasqua/Wackerman - Blues for Tony (2010)

2007 live performances (but not released until 3 years later). A tribute to the legendary drummer Tony Williams, who died in 1997. Smokin' fusion.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Check out Jordan Fox covering She's Not There.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Yes - Drama (1980)

What do you get when you cross the remains of the '70s incarnation of Yes with The Buggles (synth-pop one hit wonders of "Video Killed The Radio Star" fame)? You get this album, apparently!

While trying to write and record a follow-up to Tormato, Yes disintegrated. Several unproductive recording sessions and much squabbling over "artistic differences" led to original vocalist Jon Anderson and keyboard player extraordinaire Rick Wakeman leaving. The Buggles (who had the same manager as Yes and were fans) were invited to contribute a song to the new Yes album; if this wasn't odd enough (and much to their surprise), Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes were invited to join the band full-time as replacements for the recently departed Anderson and Wakeman.

The result is not quite what you'd expect... and it's also surprisingly good. While Downes' keyboards do add a bit of an '80s new-wavey flavor at times (and his use of vocoder is straight out of The Buggles), it mostly works. The overall sound on much of this album is also pretty aggressive by Yes standards.

I suspect the album's title is a reference to the circumstances which led to its creation. Even the cover art seems to be a reference to the breakup of the "classic" lineup of the band -- three black panthers (symbolizing Howe, Squire, and White?) chasing away two white birds (Anderson and Wakeman?)... supposedly much of the friction which led to the split centered on how Howe, Squire, and White wanted to take the band towards a more aggressive, harder rock sound, while Anderson and Wakeman were resisting this.

IMO this album is an overlooked gem which doesn't get the respect it deserves. No, it isn't up to the lofty standards of their classics; but damnit, it's good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHFbzaf8FX8 (Egads, the intro to this qualifies as heavy metal! Were they listening to Sabbath or something?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL68VE-Qi7Y (Another one where the intro really grabs your attention, before the main theme kicks in.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzxZzIiO84Y (Prog/ska fusion? Love the bass line too.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 am

Anovoca wrote:
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio

Sort of a Good Friday tradition of mine to listen to Maiden all day while stuck at work.

"Eleven saintly shrouded men
Silhouettes stand against the sky
One in front with a cross held high
Come to wash my sins away"

And I know exactly from where that lyric was stolen. Genesis - "Supper's Ready" (1972)

Six saintly shrouded men
Move across the lawn slowly
The seventh walks in front
With a cross held high in hand.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Oscillator
Gerbil

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:07 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The best (well, weirdest) music from that series is actually found in Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. Two examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGcCdXNAtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmdYz57YD0

But does MSR have gangsta rap and Chinese pop music?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 am

Yes - Close to the Edge (Steven Wilson remix/remaster) (this version 2013, originally released 1972)

A tweaked mix of the Yes classic, which also includes a DVD-A with a 5.1 surround mix and other bonus material. Unfortunately I do not have a 5.1 system, but after 2 listens to the stereo CD remix I am going to say that while I don't agree with all of Wilson's decisions, overall I think it is an improvement. The most noticeable change seems to be that Anderson's vocals are often clearer and perhaps just a touch higher in the mix; everything also seems to have a bit of additional clarity.

Aside from the improved clarity, he's not messed with much (which is a good thing). The few things that did stand out (in a not-necessarily-good way) after my initial listens: He's changed the stereo panning of some instruments (perhaps a result of doing the 5.1 mix); and at two points in the title cut (around 4:20 and 6:30) there's a brief synth wind/whooshing effect that I'd never noticed before. Going back to my other copy and doing some A/B comparisons I think the "whoosh" was buried so deep in the mix that it was not perceptible as being a separate sound, whereas now it kind of sticks out; not a fan of that.

Ned, I know you weren't a fan of Wilson's Relayer remix, and thought it was "bright" and trebly, with too much emphasis on the top end. You'd probably have the same complaint about this. Perhaps my aging ears don't find this objectionable (and even prefer it), given that I've lost most of my hearing above 15kHz (and presumably it has started to roll off below that as well). So maybe I'm hearing it more like I remember it from back in the '70s? :lol:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:41 am

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Speaking of Boston... little-known fact: a subset of the band released an album in 1980, billed as a Barry Goudreau solo album. (Goudreau was one of their original guitarists.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxp01_xz78Q

Still have the original vinyl of that one.

I've always kind of considered it to be a third Boston album (effectively making Third Stage their fourth one).

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 pm

WTF was Rick Wakeman thinking when he chose that cheesy synth sound he uses on "Don't Kill The Whale"? Did he dislike the song, and set out to intentionally sabotage it?

The dubbed-in crowd noises on "Release, Release" are cheesy too. As is the song "Arriving UFO". Tormato is just a kinda cheesy album... definitely a low point for the '70s incarnation of Yes.

The final cut "On The Silent Wings of Freedom" is decent, but not enough to redeem this mess.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Tormato is just a kinda cheesy album... definitely a low point for the '70s incarnation of Yes.

It's the Yes equivalent of Monty Python's "Contractual Obligation Album", (which it was, truly).

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:26 pm

I also did not realize -- until Googling around just a few minutes ago -- that the album cover was in fact the result of Rick Wakeman expressing his displeasure at the picture they were to use as the cover artwork, and literally throwing a tomato at it in disgust. They decided to go with it, and even renamed the album to match the "modified" artwork. (The original title was apparently supposed to be "Yes Tor".)

Also learned that the sub-standard fidelity was a result of switching recording engineers mid-stream. Replacement engineer didn't realize that the existing tapes had been Dolby A encoded, which totally f**ked things up since the proper decoding was not applied during mixing and/or mastering.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The original title was apparently supposed to be "Yes Tor".

I can think of three boys from Toronto who might have taken issue with that.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The original title was apparently supposed to be "Yes Tor".

I can think of three boys from Toronto who might have taken issue with that.

It's the name of a geologic formation in the UK (the one pictured in the background of the cover picture).

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 am

Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension (2012)
Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Descension (2013)

Another pair of sci-fi concept albums set in their "Amory Wars" universe. Good songwriting and great musicianship. I acquired the original Amory Wars Tetralogy about a year ago, and -- having enjoyed that -- figured I'd fill in some of the subsequently released prequel/spinoff albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5mRhB1bak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnTmP_zB5Dc

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:17 am

Allan Holdsworth - Road Games (1983)

A 6-track EP, this was Holdsworth's only major-label release (on Warner Brothers, and produced by Ted Templeman, who was also Van Halen's producer at the time). Features Jeff Berlin (from Bill Bruford's fusion band) on bass, Chad Wackerman (Zappa alum) on drums, and Jack Bruce (formerly of Cream) on vocals for two of the tracks.

Further refines the unique jazz/rock sound that started to take shape on I. O. U. (1982), and which he would perfect two years later on Metal Fatigue (1985), before blasting off into hyperspace to explore remote corners of the musical universe with several more experimental, Synthaxe-heavy releases starting with Atavachron (1986).

Essential Holdsworth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9aECVC1AE

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:45 am

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:03 am

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat - The Songs of Leonard Cohen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Frederik Thordendal and Special Defects - Sol Niger Within (1997)

Side project by the guitarist from metal band Meshuggah. I was not aware of this album's existence until earlier this evening, but given Thordendal's unique approach to metal (extreme metal rhythm guitar meets jazzy legato solos...), I was intrigued. The whole thing is posted on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx4e1pdq1Y

Unfortunately the CD is out of print and rare, commanding ridiculous prices for a used copy. BUT... there's an Amazon MP3 download of it, and since the entire album is a single 43-minute track, the entire download is 99 cents (the price of a single track)! :lol:

This is some seriously warped stuff, with some sick (in a good way) guitar playing on it.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 am

CSNY - Helpless

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:21 am

Emperor Of Sand(2017 album) - Mastodon

I am going to put myself on a limb here and say that based on the strength of their past 3 albums I think Mastodon might be the current reigning best Prog-Metal band. Sorry Opeth, but album to album Emperor of Sand, Once more 'Round the Sun, and The Hunter > Sorceress, Pale Communion, and Heritage. Even going back 4 albums I would say Crack the Skye vs Watershed is are pretty close match with the nod going to Watershed. I will make one more arbitrary observation. I think Opeth's shift to more experimental prog has paved the way for Mastodon who have been growing a bit away from prog and more into mainstream metal with a flavor of prog. In a way they have almost evolved perfectly to fill the gap left behind.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Oh, great. Another band I need to check out.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 am

Really? I am kinda surprised you haven't heard of them. They are pretty much the only prog metal band that gets any mainstream air-wave play stateside.

Crack the Skye - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHZvQoUfoeQ
The Motherload (Once More 'Round the Sun) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFWazj ... 2nYNcEVych
Black Tongue (The Hunter) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgqenx ... uVVJSbGu_G
Steambreather - (Emperor of Sand) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBVgsZ ... zPEv1tXNXp

edit: I get a little spike of dopamine ever time that bell chimes in steambreather.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 am

I've heard of them. Just somehow haven't followed up on it (yet). And I don't listen to the radio much.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:50 am

They are a pretty easy band to jump into. Their older albums follow a story arch and are better listened to as whole compositions, while their newest two albums are pretty easy to mix.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm

I've decided to start with Leviathan and Blood Mountain. CD order placed with Amazon, MP3 Auto-Rip copies downloaded. Will listen while I'm working this afternoon.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I've decided to start with Leviathan and Blood Mountain. CD order placed with Amazon, MP3 Auto-Rip copies downloaded. Will listen while I'm working this afternoon.

Those two albums are kind of like orchid and morningrise. The purests will always say those were the best while the casual listeners don't touch them because they are so rough around the edges.

Edit: 4wiw, Crack the Skye is probably my favorite album. it has the best balance of prog and metal and likes to suck you in and take you on a pretty epic trip. If you want to listen to their newest 4 albums just shoot me a PM, I have them all on my PLEX Media server.