Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:18 pm

My Ponty experience comes from his Zappa stuff. I never have tried any of his other works.

Damn, just looked up Over-Nite Sensation on Wiki and Tina Turner and the Ikettes did all of those really tough to sing backing vocals (and got no credits and just $25/day per Ike). Wiki says Ike was NOT happy when he heard the tapes, but that was the usual course of affairs for Ike in those days.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:25 pm

No Rest for the Wicked - Godsmack

Selected by Pandora after coding for 7.5 hours. Hmm....
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Bumper
Gerbil

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
My Ponty experience comes from his Zappa stuff. I never have tried any of his other works.

Damn, just looked up Over-Nite Sensation on Wiki and Tina Turner and the Ikettes did all of those really tough to sing backing vocals (and got no credits and just $25/day per Ike). Wiki says Ike was NOT happy when he heard the tapes, but that was the usual course of affairs for Ike in those days.

zappa would've been incredible to see live. I wish I could've see him.. good listening

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Bumper wrote:
zappa would've been incredible to see live. I wish I could've see him.. good listening

I had a chance or 2 in college (circa 1982 or so), but my musical tastes hadn't yet grown enough to accept the offered tickets.

Not that I remember much from that period, but I have no doubt that I was ungracious in my turn-down of the invite. Yeah, dumb crap from 35 years ago that still sticks in your head. There are days I wish my head could suffer from bit rot.

Anovoca
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:32 am

Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio

Sort of a Good Friday tradition of mine to listen to Maiden all day while stuck at work.

"Eleven saintly shrouded men
Silhouettes stand against the sky
One in front with a cross held high
Come to wash my sins away"
A few minutes with me inside my van, Should be so beautiful if we can
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:06 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Bumper wrote:

I had a chance or 2 in college (circa 1982 or so), but my musical tastes hadn't yet grown enough to accept the offered tickets.

Not that I remember much from that period, but I have no doubt that I was ungracious in my turn-down of the invite. Yeah, dumb crap from 35 years ago that still sticks in your head. There are days I wish my head could suffer from bit rot.

My introduction to Zappa came after the fact as well (and in a somewhat roundabout fashion), by following musical tangents. It went something like: Yes -> UK and Bill Bruford's solo projects -> Allan Holdsworth (guitarist on first UK album and first two Bruford albums) -> Chad Wackerman, Terry Bozzio, and Vinnie Colaiuta (drummers who have played in Zappa's band and on various Holdsworth solo projects) -> Zappa.

My intro to Ponty came via essentially the same route (I actually had a few of his albums before I had any Zappa). Holdsworth has also appeared on several JLP albums; IIRC Enigmatic Ocean (1977) was the first one I picked up, and to this day is still my favorite JLP.

Edit: Holdsworth and Colaiuta, from one of the Holdsworth solo albums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUQIyEaHG4
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

tritonus
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 am

Bach: St. John Passion, John Eliot Gardiner conducting Monteverdi Choir, soloists and English Baroque Soloist.

My traditional listening during Easter. After all, Bach was one heck of a guy.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm

JBI: Given the ever-churn in Zappa's band, most college students of the initial New Wave (and MTV) era, forget this one, which does have a distaff Zappa connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_R376UDyPU

Given my braims and the early '80s, I was happy to find it in two Googles.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Ahh, yes... Dale Bozzio and Missing Persons... pretty heavily played on MTV back in the day.

I was aware of the Missing Persons connection, though I don't own any of their recordings. I do own quite a few other things Terry has played on though, e.g. Polytown (1994) with David Torn and Mick Karn, and both Bozzio/Levin/Stevens albums (to name a few).

Speaking of connections between '80s pop bands and Zappa, Terry Bozzio was also one of several replacement drummers in The Knack after their original drummer quit...
-- Steven Wilson

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Ahh, yes... Dale Bozzio and Missing Persons... pretty heavily played on MTV back in the day.

Gee, I wonder why??

jackbomb
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:15 pm

On FM: Amy MacDonald - This is the Life
I don't listen to much modern music, but I didn't mind that! :)
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Bumper wrote:
https://youtu.be/bZ2ePtVMJ74

Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Myth Science Solar Arkestra - Sleeping Beauty

That's some serious sax. I listened to the whole video this morning and it's all really good.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Gee, I wonder why??
They were a good live show when I saw them perform in '85 or '86. She was prettier in person than on MTV. Something about Terry's synth drums didn't seem quite right, though.
Mental Hopscotch
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518

Sigeric
Gerbil

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Podcast of Jordan Peterson lecture.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991)

Some headbangin' death metal for my commute home. These guys were really nuts; there's a lot more going on here than with your typical metal band. They've snuck enough prog and jazz elements into the mix that the overall effect is a bit mind-bending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NolrcYGVJ_A
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:17 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Something about Terry's synth drums didn't seem quite right, though.

That's a "feature" of '80s synth drums, IMO.
-- Steven Wilson

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
That's a "feature" of '80s synth drums, IMO.

Blame the whole lot on Phil Collins and "In The Air Tonight".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 pm

When I saw Missing Persons perform, the whole drum set was replaced by a chrome cage with force pads attached. I guess it was easier for the roadies to set up and tear down, but it didn't sound quite right and it sure looked odd.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:13 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
When I saw Missing Persons perform, the whole drum set was replaced by a chrome cage with force pads attached. I guess it was easier for the roadies to set up and tear down, but it didn't sound quite right and it sure looked odd.

And then there's the infamous incident where Bill Bruford's electronic drums failed halfway through a show at Madison Square Garden, during the Yes Union tour...
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 am

Security Project - Five (2017)

Live EP by a (mostly) Peter Gabriel cover band featuring Jerry Marotta (formerly of Peter Gabriel's band) and Trey Gunn (King Crimson), with guest vocalist Happy Rhodes. I say "mostly" because one of the tracks here is actually a Kate Bush cover; given Rhodes' vocal similarities to Ms. Bush this works. (They also include Games Without Frontiers, the original studio version of which was a duet between Gabriel and Bush.)

I guess this also answers the question "What has Happy Rhodes been up to lately?", given that she basically dropped off the radar a decade ago.
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:58 pm

5uu's - Hunger's Teeth (1994)

Picked this up back in the '90s on someone's recommendation, listened to it a couple of times, and filed it away. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

In keeping with my practice of occasionally going back and revisiting things in my collection that I haven't listened to in a while, I decided to give it another chance. This is some pretty whacked stuff -- I'd describe it as off-kilter prog rock with occasional "found sounds", sound effects, samples, etc. tossed into the mix. I hear echoes of Yes (like the more chaotic sections of the Relayer album) and King Crimson, as well as influences of the Canterbury prog rock scene of the late '60s and early '70s; but there's also a fair bit of what can only be described as avant garde weirdness.

My negative opinion (from many years ago) of this album has definitely softened, which kinda makes sense given that my tolerance for (and even affinity for) some of the weirder stuff has generally increased over the years. I'm still not about to whip out the credit card and order their entire back catalog (apparently they're still active and have been trickling albums out over the years), but my curiosity has been piqued enough for me to look for samples of more recent material online and possibly purchase some of their other albums based on what I find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0o3hiElwhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJUbrMTYL5E
-- Steven Wilson

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Recent finds & returning favs:

Sacred Paws - Empty Body - earwormy, vaguely Afrobeat song. Cute contrast of dumb youthful anxieties/existentialism in the lyrics with the upbeat pace & lively riffs.

Walter Martin - Hey Matt - another upbeat tune, clappity-clappity, so damned fun, this time with totally-appropriate cheesy spoken lyrics.

OMFG - Nope - glitch hop w/spliced-up talk box gibberish like all the rest of his stuff. Also upbeat.

Public Service Broadcasting - Progress - alt/krautrock. Another one with contrast between the tone of the music (expansive, retrofuturistic, hopeful) & the bitingly-ironic pop chorus ("I believe in progress"). Kraftwerkian in more ways than one. The whole album is about the decline of Welsh coal mining.

Antethic - Metamachine - postmetal/postrock semi-ambient instrumental piece, love the drums throughout but especially at the transition at 4:30. The rest of the album, Ghost Shirt Society, is similar (and available NYOP).

Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts - Memory - a melancholic celesta/music box instrumental tune that accompanies the opening montage of Cowboy Bebop. Introducing another person to this series (get it on Blu-Ray for ultracheap), and man, does this get me right in the feels. I see ~ your face ~ and smile.

SUNG - Way Farer - no more upbeat music. Synthwave. The chasm has opened into a pit; we flee. Filthy neon tubes shrink into the distance as the driving beat intensifies. Escape? Testarossa on the cover!

Perturbator - Technoir (Feat Noir Deco) - more synthwave. The pit is gone, replaced by the grime of 80s urban decay. Rain. Arnie Terminates.

Le Cassette - This Is All We Know - electro. Sexy & saxy. Having made it through the Lawless Outskirts into Beyond, regret and ennui permeate as burby sprawl melts into the sticks. It's just like everywhere else.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Allan Holdsworth - Secrets (1989)
Allan Holdsworth - Wardenclyffe Tower (1992)
Allan Holdsworth - Hard Hat Area (1993)
Allan Holdsworth - None Too Soon (1996)
Allan Holdsworth - The Sixteen Men Of Tain (2000)

Running through a bunch of my Holdsworth CDs this evening, in observance of his passing. RIP.
-- Steven Wilson

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 am

Chris Morris' On The Hour. The opening lines alone are timeless:

"It's eleven twenty; this is On the Hour."

"This is On the Hour; arise, Sir News!"

"Heads, it's news, tails, it's news... [coin landing on desk] It's news!"

"It's o'clock at five o'clock; this is On the Hour."

The interludes from Alan Partridge, Monsignor Treeb-Lopez and Rosie May are just great, and ofc the Morris vehicles Wayne Carr and Jacques Oeuf...

One of my favorite bits from the series, S2E2:

Chris Morris wrote:
But first, the news. It's been confirmed that Ireland has burst. The cockatoo-shaped landmass blew open along the southwest coast, squirting millions of tons of noxious fluid into the Atlantic Ocean. The troubleshooter Red Adair, who was dropped into the area to tie up the ends, has not been seen for over six hours, and experts say the colossal pressure of the flow may well have prevented him from knotting two peninsulas effectively. It's understood that American naval forces are standing by to tow the stricken isle out to sea, where it will bombed and sunk as quickly as possible.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:03 pm

More Holdsworth today.

I.O.U. (1982)
Metal Fatigue (1985)
Atavachron (1986)
Sand (1987)

These straddle the transition to his Synthaxe period, with the first two still being guitar-centric, while the latter two are dominated by Synthaxe sounds, punctuated by occasional guitar solos.
-- Steven Wilson

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 pm

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 pm

I suppose I should've mentioned in my previous post that Atavacrhon is named after a plot device from a Star Trek episode. The cover of the album has a drawing of Holdsworth wearing a Federation uniform, and holding his Synthaxe. Good geeky fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atavachron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhB9f1r9Nao
-- Steven Wilson

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Ah, yes. Mr. AtoZ, who sends Kirk back to pre-revolutionary France and Spock/McCoy to a frozen cave with Mariette Hartley, whom Spock (under the theory that he's been sent back 5,000 years, so he's lost his logic) really wants to Pon Farr. Given how she looked back then that was completely logical, even if her skimpy outfit in an ice cave wasn't.

Of course, our heroes find their way out of their predicaments and warp out of orbit just before the star goes nova. The McGuffin was that the planet saw the nova coming, so sent the entire population into their personally-selected slice of its past to avoid it. In TNG and later Trek, such temporal loops would have been unthinkable.

Yes, I'm a TOS geek. Rattled that off without checking a single reference. I'm old. I'll go to bed now.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Heh. Mr. H obviously had a bit of a Trek fetish too. Or at least for that episode... or maybe for Mariette Hartley? :lol: Another one of the songs on that album is indeed named "All Our Yesterdays", and a track on one of his later albums is named "Zarabeth".

Edit: And one of the tracks he wrote for the Tony Williams Lifetime album Believe It is named "Mr. Spock"...
-- Steven Wilson

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
or maybe for Mariette Hartley?

Hmm, what do you think?