Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Frederik Thordendal and Special Defects - Sol Niger Within (1997)

Side project by the guitarist from metal band Meshuggah. I was not aware of this album's existence until earlier this evening, but given Thordendal's unique approach to metal (extreme metal rhythm guitar meets jazzy legato solos...), I was intrigued. The whole thing is posted on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx4e1pdq1Y

Unfortunately the CD is out of print and rare, commanding ridiculous prices for a used copy. BUT... there's an Amazon MP3 download of it, and since the entire album is a single 43-minute track, the entire download is 99 cents (the price of a single track)! :lol:

This is some seriously warped stuff, with some sick (in a good way) guitar playing on it.

Hmm... apparently still in print in Sweden, and not unreasonably priced for an import. I may still spring for the physical CD at some point.

...in the meantime, I used the track listing from the album's Wikipedia article to split it up into its constituent tracks, with proper per-track metadata. This has gotta be one of the most fascinating albums I've picked up in the past year; I've been listening to it repeatedly over the past week.

And you've gotta give a band some points for naming a track "Cosmic Vagina Dentata Organ": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpVjK527Zs :lol: Crazy Swedes (and appropriately enough, it is one of two whacked-out church organ interludes on the album).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Oscillator
Gerbil

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 pm

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Bruford - One of a Kind (1979)

A fusion classic, and the album that originally sparked my interest in fusion, jazz, and guitarist Allan Holdsworth.

Complete album:
https://youtu.be/01RFsGkMw6I

My two favorite tracks:
https://youtu.be/01RFsGkMw6I?t=990
https://youtu.be/01RFsGkMw6I?t=1348

Edit: After posting that, I'm second-guessing my choices for the two favorite tracks. It's all fantastic. :wink:

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Every so often I'm relistening to the great music clips and fabulous sound design work in Felix Colgrave's entertainingly-weird DOUBLE KING animated short.

Blockhead - The Music Scene - great psychedelic narrative animation, downtempo trip-hop type fare.

Leslie Feist - Mushaboom - cheesy-cute lyrics, clappy, upbeat, fabulous voice, from my school years. She has a new album (first in 6y) which I do not like at all... so I link this.

Animenz Piano Sheets - Departures - Guilty Crown ED1 [piano] - I know nothing of the show, but that's a lovely arrangement played very well.

Yuji Ohno Trio - Theme from Lupin III - awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah (his classic funky jazz, and that famous riff).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 am

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 09, 2017 4:22 pm

On the way home with but the first load of entropy collected off the floor of daughter's dorm room SXM #27, a/k/a "Deep Tracks", tossed up Nektar's "Remember The Future (Part One)".

Nektar is so bloody obscure that to make it to "Deep Tracks" is an achievement. An all-English prog band who moved to Germany because that was the only place that bought tickets, they were known as one of the originators of melding lighting effects with the music (they credited the lighting dude on their early albums). JBI & I are probably the only gerbils who have heard Nektar.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed May 10, 2017 8:15 am

Captain Ned wrote:
On the way home with but the first load of entropy collected off the floor of daughter's dorm room SXM #27, a/k/a "Deep Tracks", tossed up Nektar's "Remember The Future (Part One)".

Nektar is so bloody obscure that to make it to "Deep Tracks" is an achievement. An all-English prog band who moved to Germany because that was the only place that bought tickets, they were known as one of the originators of melding lighting effects with the music (they credited the lighting dude on their early albums). JBI & I are probably the only gerbils who have heard Nektar.

70's prog has a confusing effect on me. I never know if I want to get up and boggy or sit on the couch and smoke a bowl.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 10, 2017 8:19 am

30 minute Cinematic Sci-Fi orchestral mix/album, someone linked me the youtube rip and I just had to find the source https://soundcloud.com/briand-saban/sets/infinity

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed May 10, 2017 8:34 am

Cranking out my favorite all time prog album this morning. Tool - 10,000 Days
This album is often overlooked in the discussion for greatest prog albums and it is a shame. Start to finish, this album is an absolute masterpiece, lyrically and musically.

"You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I've come home now!
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father.
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

That verse gives me chills every time I hear it. So much raw emotion.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 10, 2017 10:30 am

Tool in general seems to get overlooked when people talk about prog. But there's a line of influences running from them back to King Crimson, and forward to other bands in the prog metal genre.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Gosh, hipsterism. I still don't find prog catching. I keep trying, but man.

Alt-J - 3WW - indie/alt rock, I guess. The bass! The minimalism! Another one with a nice narrative video, this one thoroughly morbid. The frozen dolly shots are really beautiful, but my favorite vignette is probably the pooch stopping in the door before rejoining the procession. The silhouette is so good. The music is repetitive and brooding and the lyrics tell a rather callous tale that I find conflicts with the video (which is a much more straightforward tragic R&J adaptation).

Jacaszek - Elegia - as with the above, not sure there'll be many takers here, but if you liked any of the music concrete or early electronic stuff I've posted, maybe give it a try. This is my kind of "rainy evening to myself nursing a drink" fare, a chill & get absorbed kind of thing. Jacaszek has a new album out which is quite good but this is probably my favorite of his work, especially as the strings and vocals start coming out around midway through. Ghostly is to be commended for keeping a lot of this sort of music in production.

Butthole Surfers - Pepper - because it came up on shuffle recently and it's really solid and probably their poppiest-sounding song. Never went headlong into their albums so I can't be sure; it was definitely their biggest hit. I gather from older friends that they had some... wild shows (smuggled vivisection videos and other weird shock antics). "Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies / you never know just how you look through other people's eyes".

Not music, but the thorough drugginess of the Surfers called to mind Marc Maron's bit about mushrooms and a Grateful Dead concert. Dat punchline!

Pretty Lights - Cold Feeling - some classic Murrikan downtempo with a standard predictable structure, but damned if that powerful crescendo doesn't make me smile every time, and the prolonged dim. into the guitar; good for a chill evening.

Had a lot of aughties stuff come up in rotation recently, among them Leona Lewis' megahit Bleeding Love. Dem British divas.

Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) - for the austerity of it, and its marked difference from all their other songs, and the endearing lyrics. David Byrne is fascinating.

Peter Gabriel - The Tower That Ate People - for the dominating soundscape of the piece, mostly. I'm indifferent to the vocals. He's another fascinating person. This from the guy who made Sledgehammer and all that Genesis prog rock. Eclectic fella.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Been on a YouTube bender and washed up on The Who closing the 2012 London Olympics. I've watched this vid several times but today I was feeling the Imp of the Perverse (Jack Shaftoe) and wondered: If he were still alive, what would Keith Moon have done on this stage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsGQ8C64WlQ

I have no doubt that the BBC would have been horrified.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Chased any ostriches lately?

For me its Korn - Make Me Bad. Seems appropriate here. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu May 11, 2017 7:52 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Tue May 16, 2017 2:16 am

Bob Dylan - Jokerman
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Interpol - "C'mere"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKFn4B9lwTk

Just purchased the "Antics" album after owning their "Our Love to Admire" album for awhile since I was hooked by "Pace is the Trick"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcJBoPP ... Pa0sE#t=19

I really enjoy the sounds of the lead and bass guitars together in their work.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 pm

The Grateful Dead - Barton Hall, Cornell University, 8 MAY 1977

The Dead finally turned the "Betty Boards" into an official archival release, and it sounds great. Billed as the best show from 1977 (which is billed as the best tour ever), it's the first time a fan-made audience tape (the Betty Boards didn't come to light until years after that) was enshrined in the Library of Congress collection of "significant recordings".

My copy arrived today but, when I opened the mailbox, there were two padded mailers. After opening both to ensure that it hadn't been shipped in separate parts, I quickly discovered that I was mistakenly shipped 2 copies. I've verified that I was only charged for one, so I've got a spare one lying around still in its shrink-wrap. In the spirit of the Dead, I'll mail it free to the first PM I get with snail-mail info.

Happy listening.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Thu May 18, 2017 3:28 am

Deluxx Folk Implosion - I'm Just A Bill
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 am

Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)

In honor of Chris Cornell.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 22, 2017 2:37 pm

SXM #25 tossed up REO Speedwagon and "Roll With The Changes". Lovely B3 workout on that one. Song is a wistful reminder of unrequited affection freshman year of college.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Ariane Grande - Dangerous Woman, because terrorists suck.

On a lighter note...Here's a one-man sax section covering CeeLo Green:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9R45IArXqc

MrJRtech
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Ya,ya telling about his impressions about "Baywatch(the movie)" on Jimmy Kimmel.
Might see it.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Paramore's latest album After Laughter. As a long time Paramore fan from when they first started putting out music, I was a little put off by the last few albums. They had some good tunes, but nothing to match the brilliant writing of All We Know Is Falling or the pop infused punk rock beats and melodies of Riot!, and their slow transition into an '80s pop style with dance elements has just felt a little awkward.

This is another huge departure from their pop punk roots more so than any other album, and yet IMO this is their best stuff yet. I mean they really nailed it this time. Hayley is such an incredible writer, and she puts so much sincerity and emotion into these songs while managing to emulate an almost strictly '80s pop musical style. Every track is just so beyond good. The slow ones make me cry and the poppy dance ones make me want to shake my booty while still actually having something to say. Today's pop artists could learn something from Hayley. I wish the music that grabs the biggest audiences these days actually had substance like this album does instead of just being empty copies of each other with no real content.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 30, 2017 8:11 am

Not exactly listening to right now... more like listened to last night, and will be listening to again in a couple of days:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2017 remix/remaster)

After reading the (mostly) rave reviews, and streaming it on my Amazon Prime account, I decided to order the new Sgt. Pepper remaster. Not one of the deluxe "all the bells and whistles" packages (I'm not enough of a Beatles fanatic for that), just the basic CD. While some may quibble about tampering with a classic, there's a valid reason for this to exist.

The original 1967 stereo mix of Sgt. Pepper was essentially an afterthought, done hastily to meet a release deadline back at a time when pop music was often still being released (and listened to) in mono. Think of it as the '60s version of the sloppy CD remasters that came out in the mid '80s through the '90s. There were other technological limitations as well; the album was recorded on 4-track equipment, the best available to them at the time. This meant a lot of intermediate mix-downs, with some of the backing tracks getting bounced multiple times between multiple tapes, resulting in some loss of fidelity. AFAIK, previous stereo "remasters" have all been based on the original stereo mixdown.

For this latest remaster, they dug up all of the original tapes from before the mixing/bouncing, and Giles Martin (George Martin's son) remixed/remastered the entire thing from scratch.

The result has better clarity and definition of the instruments and vocals. The odd placement decisions of the original stereo mix -- with a lot of vocals/instruments panned hard left or hard right -- have also been "fixed" (scare quotes for anyone out there who prefers the orignal stereo mix to the new one or the mono).

The goal, apparently, was to preserve the impact of the original mono mix (which, unlike the original stereo mix, was created with a lot of input from the band), while also providing a stereo soundstage, and restoring the fidelity lost in the original 1960s multi-stage mixdown process. Based on what I heard when I streamed the new version last night, I'd say they've succeeded with this release.

Now I'm just waiting for my CD to arrive.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 30, 2017 8:32 am

When it comes to the Beatles, I'm a firm believer in listening to the mono albums (up to and including the White Album) exactly as George Martin intended them to be heard. It's why I splurged on the mono box set.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 30, 2017 9:17 am

Captain Ned wrote:
When it comes to the Beatles, I'm a firm believer in listening to the mono albums (up to and including the White Album) exactly as George Martin intended them to be heard. It's why I splurged on the mono box set.

The improved fidelity of the new Sgt. Pepper release may be worthwhile, even for the mono purists.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 am

Those "weird" decisions were technical limitations. In the 60s, hard panning was the only panning. According to my copy of The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, anyway, panning was a 3-way switch for a long time.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Those "weird" decisions were technical limitations. In the 60s, hard panning was the only panning. According to my copy of The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, anyway, panning was a 3-way switch for a long time.

Even if that was all they could do, you'd think they'd at least put the lead vocals in the center.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 am

Heh, I suppose. I guess I'm not enough of a Beatles fan to know that they hard-panned lead vocals at some point. That is to say, I only have more than a passing familiarity with a handful of their songs, and I never really "got" them (nor did I really want to).

For a short time my car was "mono", because the both the front and rear right-side speakers died. It's weird listening to stereo music with one channel removed.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen