Personal computing discussed

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:30 am

Captain Ned wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
There was a furor among purists when these were re-mixed to stereo for CD release instead of the original mono masters.

As one of those purists, the only albums originally recorded in stereo were Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, and Let It Be. The rest are best heard in their original George Martin mono mixes.

Not to mention, in many cases the stereo mixes are pretty awful, with most everything except the lead vocals (and sometimes *even* the lead vocals) panned hard left or right. Sounds very unnatural.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:25 am

I have the Pet Sounds CD re-release, and I always like the fact that it includes the original mono mix along with the "modern" stereo. To its credit, the stereo remix is pretty well done.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Y'all deserve some special ear candy so listen to this sumbitch
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:15 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Y'all deserve some special ear candy so listen to this sumbitch

Y'all gotta wash your own laundry ...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Revisiting one of my old high school favorites: Underoath.

Every album they've done has been incredible. I just have their entire library on shuffle right now while I cook dinner, and I've probably stopped what I was doing about six times already just to solo-mosh in the kitchen.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Silverstone ST45SF|Rosewill RK-9000RE|Logitech G402

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:57 am

OK, so the last link doesn't hold up 20 years later, but I've got a real recommendation for everyone: No More Kings.

They've got three albums, and Pete Mitchell has some other solo stuff. They're just fantastic. Here's their YouTube playlist although it's mostly only got stuff from the first and third albums. Umbrella, Old Man Walking, Critical Hit, Dance Alone, and King of Rock are my top 5 from that list. You should also check out Zombie Me, Michael (Jump In), and of course Sweep the Leg. The music is way catchy and the lyrics are charming. I also kind of hear a vocal similarity between him and Phil Collins, even if the musical styles are completely different.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I bought that album before I bought the DVDs, after seeing a handful of episodes on Adult Swim fifteen years ago. Great series, amazing soundtrack. More shows need to have a house band.

Yeah, Bebop's music stands on its own but the full experience is extraordinary even today. The scenes with Gren (sax guy) may be my favorite instances of music in animation, up there with film uses like In Dreams creepily lipsynced into a trouble light in Blue Velvet or Son of a Preacher Man in Pulp Fiction.

And yeah, animators can still learn much from Watanabe. He's an unabashed mashup artist, and Kanno is a talented weirdo who was more than up to the task.

/aside: AS was formative for me, especially their forum (still miffed they shut it down). Some of the programmers were chatty and happy to discuss bump tracks and give recommendations. I made lifelong friends there and developed my penchants for absurdist humor and ambient/downtempo. I wonder if AS is still worthwhile.

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Collection is on shuffle. Right now, Kathleen Edwards - In State. I tend to not like country, but I like specific country, and she's one of them.

I'm also not big on country. That's a decent song (love a revenge plot) but I'm not sure how "country" it is as opposed to alt rock. See also Keith Urban's Blue Ain't Your Color which derives from the waltz but sounds more like a highly-produced formulaic pop rock thing (drum machine & all). It also happens to have the kind of believable tension between lyrical cheesiness and sincerity of delivery that makes me smile.

derFunkenstein wrote:
OK, so the last link doesn't hold up 20 years later, but I've got a real recommendation for everyone: No More Kings.
They've got three albums, and Pete Mitchell has some other solo stuff. They're just fantastic. Here's their YouTube playlist although it's mostly only got stuff from the first and third albums. Umbrella, Old Man Walking, Critical Hit, Dance Alone, and King of Rock are my top 5 from that list. You should also check out Zombie Me, Michael (Jump In), and of course Sweep the Leg. The music is way catchy and the lyrics are charming. I also kind of hear a vocal similarity between him and Phil Collins, even if the musical styles are completely different.

Not really my jam, but the lyrics are fun. Zombie me was great, though. Lyrics reminded me of Fujiya & Miyagi's Collarbone (otherwise quite a different and simpler sort of music). The funkin' bass riff is forever engrained in my mind.

---

@thread: received a banged-up copy of National Lampoon's Deteriorata as a throw-in with a late vinyl shipment. I fondly recall my dad explaining some of the references I didn't understand. The voice reminds me of a guy who did eccentric spoken-word albums in the same era. Gods, that's gonna bother me. Right at the edge of recollection... first heard him stargazing w/a friend in the bed of a pickup right after laughing at the kooks on Coast to Coast AM... damn. [edit: HAH! I was thinking of Ken Nordine.]

Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker - for the pathos of concurrent doubt & trust and for the taunting, defiant, Gothic tone. A Touch Waitsian in voice and mood.

Strand of Oaks - JM - personally resonant but it works whether or not you know Molina or are from Indiana. Thick drowning distortion against his airy voice does it for me.

Ben Khan - Eden - for everything about it: the lyrics, the elephant clip, the vocal and guitar loops, the synth.

Since I talk so much about soundtracks, see Tony Zhou on the Marvel Symphonic Universe and Dan Golding's response (both addressing the increasing homogeneity of blockbuster scores).

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Jambe wrote:
I'm also not big on country. That's a decent song (love a revenge plot) but I'm not sure how "country" it is as opposed to alt rock. See also Keith Urban's Blue Ain't Your Color which derives from the waltz but sounds more like a highly-produced formulaic pop rock thing (drum machine & all). It also happens to have the kind of believable tension between lyrical cheesiness and sincerity of delivery that makes me smile.

I don't talk about it a lot because people get inexplicably upset, but Modern Country plugged the hole left by the absence of Soft Rock. It was a pretty direct transition in the early to mid 90's.
In the rare case that I really want to sit down and listen to Country music I look for stuff specifically labeled as "Western" with decent success.

Current Song: Weird Al Yankovic - Alapalooza - 03 - Bedrock Anthem
"Yabba Dabba Yabba Dabba Dabba Doo Now"
I'm unique, just like everyone else!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Jambe wrote:

I don't talk about it a lot because people get inexplicably upset, but Modern Country plugged the hole left by the absence of Soft Rock. It was a pretty direct transition in the early to mid 90's.

Yeah, I guess I can kind of see that. And a couple of decades prior you had the Eagles, who started out more country rock, and moved towards a more straight-ahead rock sound as time went on.

Vhalidictes wrote:

That's one of those songs where I can't hear the original without the Weird Al lyrics playing in my head.
-- Steven Wilson

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

That's one of those songs where I can't hear the original without the Weird Al lyrics playing in my head.

I agree... with the exception, that in most cases, I actually like the WA lyrics better.

Case in point; Current Song: Weird Al Yankovic - Poodle Hat - 11 - Ebay

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Sounds like you're having a "Weird Al on shuffle" day?
-- Steven Wilson

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Yes, but not intentionally. Every day is "Weird Al" day, mostly because he's had rather a lot of albums and I own them all (except for Manditory Fun, which I really didn't find I liked other than "Word Crimes"). 

Adding 150 files to any playlist is pretty weighty.

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:25 pm

"The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by Eric Bogle.
Hakkaa päälle!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|SanDisk Ultra II 480GB|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45|Logitech MX 518 & F310|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX

jackbomb
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Many of the original Beatles recordings exist as four individual tracks before mastering.  There was a furor among purists when these were re-mixed to stereo for CD release instead of the original mono masters.

DVD-Audio is the digital format that puts to rest the old-timers' claim that analog is better than digital.  Ironically, it's an older generation who appreciate music well enough to buy it in the superior format.  Many young folks listen to horribly-compressed low-bitrate MP3s that were probably auto-tuned when originally recorded, anyway.

The thing about DVD-A is that many of the 5.1 remixes sounded rather gimmicky, at least to me. Fortunately, many DVD-A releases also included 2.0 mixes (and some even offered the 2.0 tracks at a higher sample rate, like 192KHz).

IMHO, the Beatles' Love is one of only a few 5.1 releases that are a significant upgrade over the stereo track. 
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Queensrÿche's Empire is probably my favorite DVD-Audio disc.  Both the stereo and 5.1 mixes are excellent.  Carol King's Tapestry is one of my better Super Audio CDs.

jackbomb wrote:
The thing about DVD-A is that many of the 5.1 remixes sounded rather gimmicky.

Metallica's self-titled black album is an example.  The 5.1-channel DVD-Audio is so heinously mixed that it should get Randy Staub black-balled from all future work in the music industry.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Speaking of Metallica, it's time For Whom the Bell Tolls. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:37 am

Redocbew wrote:
Speaking of Metallica, it's time For Whom the Bell Tolls. :P

Personal Metallica trivia: Both of the auto accidents my wife has had occurred when a Metallica song was playing on the radio. As a result of this we have an unwritten family rule that nobody is allowed to listen to Metallica in the car.
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:17 am

Bill Connors - Of Mist and Melting (1977)

Connors was Al Di Meola's (somewhat less famous) predecessor in the '70s fusion band Return To Forever. After leaving that band, he went on to record several atmospheric (and entirely or mostly acoustic) jazz albums on ECM as both a bandleader and sideman. OMaM is one of the high points of this period, and features Jan Garbarek (saxophone), Jack DeJohnette (drums), and Gary Peacock (bass).

Another highlight from the same period in a similar vein is Garbarek's Photo with Blue Sky, White Cloud, Wires, Windows and a Red Roof (1978), which also features Connors on guitar.

Connors would subsequently return to a more aggressive jazz/rock sound with a trio of kick-ass fusion releases in the 1980s.
-- Steven Wilson

jackbomb
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:13 am

Monty Python - Every Sperm is Sacred

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:51 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yes, but not intentionally. Every day is "Weird Al" day, mostly because he's had rather a lot of albums and I own them all (except for Manditory Fun, which I really didn't find I liked other than "Word Crimes"). 

Adding 150 files to any playlist is pretty weighty.

My phone also really seems to like Weird Al for the same reason, and I only had around 1/4 of his songs on there. I eventually had to cut the phone playlist down to just the 18-20 songs that I really just had to have.
I control the groove

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Nice, the Cube Farm Anthem is up - Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Live On - 01 - In 2 Deep

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Gentle Giant - In A Glass House (1973)

Knotty, quirky, early '70s British prog rock at its best!
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:09 am

Bill Connors - Swimming With A Hole In My Body (1979)

Continuing my trip through Connors' back catalog. This one is just Connors, with no other supporting instruments or musicians (though he's overdubbed on several of the tracks, effectively turning them into guitar duets). Quiet, introspective, acoustic jazz guitar.
-- Steven Wilson

jackbomb
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:27 am

The Clash - Rudie Can't Fail 

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:49 am

Bill Connors - Double Up (1986)

Second of three '80s fusion releases from Connors. The acoustic format of his '70s ECM jazz releases is gone; he's picked up his electric again. Connors is overdubbed on some of the tracks to provide both overdriven, flowing legato solos and chiming accompaniment, with a muscular rhythm section courtesy of Tom Kennedy (bass) and Kim Plainfield (drums).
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:25 am

Bill Connors - Return (2005)

Connors resurfaces after a nearly 2 decade hiatus from recording. This time around he's playing post-bop jazz in a guitar/piano/bass/drums quartet. Good stuff, if nothing like any of his earlier output.

Maybe I'll loop back around to the beginning of his career and listen to Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy.
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:29 am

John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension - Black Light (2015)

Continuing in the vein of "what are 1970s fusion guitar legends up to lately"...

For this release he teams up with one of my favorite musicians, drummer and keyboardist Gary Husband. Also on board are Indian drummer Rajit Bardot, and French Cameroonian bassist Étienne M'Bappé.

The old man still has it... especially as evidenced on "El Hombre Que Sabia", a tribute to flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia, who passed in 2014. Bardot adds a touch of World Music flavor, by (as best as I can describe) playing Indian-flavored percussion runs on a Western drum kit, and interjecting occasional Indian scat-style percussive vocals.
-- Steven Wilson

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:52 am

Sarah Collins-Gypsies,Tramps,And Thieves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkF84NznekI

(She's covering Cher here.)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 am

Shelby Lynne - Live At McCabe's (2012)

Great live set. Just her and her acoustic guitar, crisply recorded.
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:10 pm

Bill Bruford and Tim Garland - Earthworks Underground Orchestra (2006)

Live album consisting of a cross section of pieces from Bruford's Earthworks projects, rearranged and played by a larger ensemble (drums, piano, woodwinds and brass). Gets a bit chaotic at times, but like almost everything Bruford gets involved in, this is good stuff.
-- Steven Wilson