Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:37 pm

UK - [self-titled] (1978)

Haven't listened to this in a few years, but it's in today's playlist due to the passing of John Wetton. It exists at a point in the music universe near the intersection of '70s prog rock and jazz-rock fusion. I suppose this should not be a surprise given that the lineup has two former King Crimson members and two future members of Bill Bruford's eponymous (and IMO most excellent...) fusion band.

Edit 1: Some of the instrumental breaks sound like rehearsals for the first Bruford fusion album Feels Good To Me...

Edit 2: Not sure why this has been out of my playlist rotation for so long. I need to listen to it more frequently than once every few years, it's really quite good.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 pm

Due to recent posts, digging deep into the dark recesses of my song library, most likely stuff originally given to me by friends.

Right now - Kenny G - Songbird

jackbomb
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:28 pm

The Original Caste - One Tin Soldier
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Not so much a "What am I listening to now?" as a "What will I be listening to later/tomorrow?"...

Was lamenting the lack of grunge in my collection of rips, so I went and raided the upstairs CD collection (nominally my wife's) for a pile of Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden CDs. And some Eric Gales Band too, even though he's not grunge. Ripping 'em all now.

This may be what pushes the micro-SD card in my phone over the edge, capacity-wise... :lol:

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

From XM25:
Jefferson Starship:  Jane
and
Foreigner:  I Need You

just brew it! wrote:
This may be what pushes the micro-SD card in my phone over the edge, capacity-wise... :lol:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... ageSize=96
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX800-LTi, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

jackbomb
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Side 1 of Led Zeppelin IV. I'm getting laid tonight. 
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:40 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... ageSize=96

Yep, I've been eyeing the 200GB ones for a while, waiting for the prices to drop. Now with the 256GB model out, the 200GB are getting more reasonable.

Also went back and found where I'd stashed the physical CD of Opeth's Blackwater Park... been meaning to re-rip that one since one of the tracks has some skips in it that I initially didn't notice. :roll:

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Not so much a "What am I listening to now?" as a "What will I be listening to later/tomorrow?"...

Was lamenting the lack of grunge in my collection of rips, so I went and raided the upstairs CD collection (nominally my wife's) for a pile of Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden CDs. And some Eric Gales Band too, even though he's not grunge. Ripping 'em all now.

Remember, kids - You're an idiot if you judge cellphones by whether they have SD card support or not! :roll:

If I read one more Ars Technica review "but no one needs that much storage"... even worse, it's a tech site that regularly mocks Bill Gate's 640K RAM statement. Without a clue.

Current Song: The Hex Girls - Wanna Wed, But I Fled / Petrified Bride
Last edited by Vhalidictes on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:55 pm

I really like not having to decide what music to keep on my device -- just throw everything I've ever ripped on there. This latest round of rips fit, but I'm just shy of 128GB now.

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Blind Guardian

Album: Beyond the Red Mirror
Song: At the Edge of Time

Epic song. The song completely changes as you listen to it, so endure the first minute.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:43 am

Eric Gales Band - [self titled] (1991)

Hard-hitting, energetic blues rock. Had completely forgotten about these guys... my loss. Rediscovering them now.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:13 pm

Sam Phillips - Omnipop (It's Only a Flesh Wound Lambchop) (1996)

Quirky pop-rock. IMO not as consistent or interesting as her album that preceded it (Martinis and Bikinis).

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Quirky pop-rock. IMO not as consistent or interesting as her album that preceded it (Martinis and Bikinis).

This is just too weird to absorb properly at work. I'll have to sit down and listen to it, although my initial impression is "experimental sounding, yet hopelessly pretentious". 
Initial impressions are often wrong, though!

Current Song: The Bloodhound Gang - Hooray for Boobies - 01 - I Hope You Die

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Just ordered a physical CD of the new Djam Karet album JBI referenced somewhere above. Had to wait until they actually offered real CDs (if it's a CD-R I will be VERY unhappy).
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Just ordered a physical CD of the new Djam Karet album JBI referenced somewhere above.  Had to wait until they actually offered real CDs (if it's a CD-R I will be VERY unhappy).

Ebay == badly written green/gold CD-R from Vietnam (typically). Amazon is also likely a CD-R but usually skip-free. I've stopped ordering CDs off the Internet for the last few years, because *everything* that wasn't mass-pressed/mainstream has been that way for me.

Current Song: The Alan Parsons Project - The Definitive Collection (Disc 2) - 10 - Days are Numbers (The Traveller)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Pretty sure this is legit, as they've been around for 20 years or so. Their fan base is small enough so that 2 or 3 complaints would readily filter back to the band.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Pretty sure this is legit, as they've been around for 20 years or so.  Their fan base is small enough so that 2 or 3 complaints would readily filter back to the band.

Ah, that's good to hear.

Currently playing: (local stuff!) Radio Silence - Radio Silence - 02 - Waste

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

This is just too weird to absorb properly at work. I'll have to sit down and listen to it, although my initial impression is "experimental sounding, yet hopelessly pretentious". 

But not always. "Weird" and "pretentious" aren't too far off the mark IMO, though on the "experimental" scale it's pretty tame. If you really want experimental I'll recommend you some "out there" stuff. :wink:

Captain Ned wrote:
Just ordered a physical CD of the new Djam Karet album JBI referenced somewhere above. Had to wait until they actually offered real CDs (if it's a CD-R I will be VERY unhappy).

I just recently purchased an "on demand" CD from Amazon for the first time, and it looks very professional. The only obvious clue (aside from the note in the product listing on Amazon's site) that it isn't a normal pressed CD is a small CD-R logo on the back cover insert. Artwork (both the jewel case inserts and the label side of the CD) looks like what you'd get with a normal pressed CD, and the CD plays/rips just fine.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Pretty sure this is legit, as they've been around for 20 years or so. Their fan base is small enough so that 2 or 3 complaints would readily filter back to the band.

Had an issue with an order from their web site once (shipped me the wrong CD), and I got an e-mail back from one of the band members in response to my inquiry. So yeah, it's a small operation. :wink:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

But not always. "Weird" and "pretentious" aren't too far off the mark IMO, though on the "experimental" scale it's pretty tame. If you really want experimental I'll recommend you some "out there" stuff. :wink:

I should add, it has grown on me somewhat in spite of the pretentiousness. I still like the other two albums I have by her better though.

Also just placed my own order for that new Djam Karet CD.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I should add, it has grown on me somewhat in spite of the pretentiousness. I still like the other two albums I have by her better though.

I'll check those out, thanks.

Currently listening: Star Control 2 - Melnorme (This used to be my cellphone ringtone until a coworker asked me to change it. Now it's "Ringtone" by Weird Al. He didn't ask me to change it again.)

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, is this experimental enough for you?

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm listening to the official -- you might even say confirmed --  RyZen launch song from our friends at AyyMD!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'll check those out, thanks.

Currently listening: Star Control 2 - Melnorme (This used to be my cellphone ringtone until a coworker asked me to change it. Now it's "Ringtone" by Weird Al. He didn't ask me to change it again.)

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, is this experimental enough for you?

LOL...

I think your first choice of ringtone was pretty good!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Freak Zoid - [self-titled] (2007)

Experimental/improv fusion, featuring one of my favorite guitarists (Scott McGill). He started out years ago doing "normal" fusion with his band Hand Farm. TBH I like his "middle" period the best, when he was in a trio with Michael Manring and Vic Stevens; that seemed to be a transitional stage between the more straight-ahead fusion he did before and the off-the-wall stuff (like Freak Zoid) that he's been doing lately.

A couple of tracks from Freak Zoid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8WPLaLyGiA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heoWEcb7ybU

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 am

Hey Ned, did you order your copy of Sonic Celluloid direct from DK, or through someone else (Bandacamp, Amazon)? I ordered direct and received (via e-mail) a code for a download (your choice of format, I went for FLAC of course) of a bonus track that's not on the CD.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 am

Djam Karet - Live At Orion (1999)

Live set featuring material from their first few releases (they've been around since 1987). If you like instrumental prog rock with a touch of ambient/electronic, you'll probably enjoy this. Decent sound for a live recording.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
Hey Ned, did you order your copy of Sonic Celluloid direct from DK, or through someone else (Bandacamp, Amazon)? I ordered direct and received (via e-mail) a code for a download (your choice of format, I went for FLAC of course) of a bonus track that's not on the CD.

I did it through Bandcamp and got an e-mail from Chuck Oken for the bonus track.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:27 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I did it through Bandcamp and got an e-mail from Chuck Oken for the bonus track.

Cool.

Hmm... I wonder if the band gets the same cut whether you order direct or via Bandcamp? Orders placed directly on their site appear to go through Rhino, so I guess there's a middleman involved there as well.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Hmm... I wonder if the band gets the same cut whether you order direct or via Bandcamp? Orders placed directly on their site appear to go through Rhino, so I guess there's a middleman involved there as well.

I must have purchased the last couple from Bandcamp as well, as the e-mail I got telling me of Sonic Celluloid came from Bandcamp.

EDIT: Just downloaded the track (in WAV format), and I hear the Lamb, Freeway Jam, and, believe it or not, the theme song to "Barney Miller". Good stuff, though I am conditioned to hear new music in reference to what I already grok. I'll have 3-hour (total) commutes for 3 weeks shortly and I can get a better handle then.

screenwizard94
Gerbil

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:26 am

Ed Sheeran- Shape of you

I can't stop hitting repeat haha:)