Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:05 am

For whatever reason, I haven't really listened to Dream Theater since their Six Degrees album. When I do the math on how long ago that was released, I start to feel really old.

Neutronbeam
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Just downloaded for free Nine Inch Nails' new album Strobe Light--gonna start digging into it.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:46 pm

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNtGoM3FVU

You need to wait for the chorus. Don't skip forward to it, just wait for it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Hah, yes you do. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 pm

bthylafh wrote:

I missed this releasing - love it!
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdT7M4f2L9A = A chorus worth waiting for every time.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 pm

In the same vein, another good one from Alissa White-Gluz(now with Arch Enemy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJdWJXxF3Y
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Never personally been a fan of straight Death Metal. But after a decade of listening to its sub-genres I suppose it was inevitably going to rub off on me.
Anyways, came across this three piece I have really been enjoying. I love how intricate and how much energy they have. The sound stage is huge for just 3 musicians. A bit heavier than my usual listen but if you need a pick me up or to just bang your head then here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lrjiqph1PE - Dyscarnate "Iron Strengthens Iron"
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Wow.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:

:o based on the responses I had to give it a listen. Not my cup of tea but that was unexpected.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Yeah, that's usually the response most people have. :lol:

A friend of mine said "that's gotta just be effects. She's not really doing that?". Yeah, she is.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

:o based on the responses I had to give it a listen. Not my cup of tea but that was unexpected.

A co-worker sent me the link to that Jinjer video, and I liked it enough to go check out some of their other stuff out on Spotify.

Redocbew wrote:
A friend of mine said "that's gotta just be effects. She's not really doing that?". Yeah, she is.

It seemed to me like maybe there's just a touch of a chorus effect, very briefly, in a couple of spots; but yeah based on the live concert clips I found of the band, that's really her doing that.

5 years ago I would've said "not my cup of tea" too. Since then, I've come to terms with growled vocals. My acclimation process consisted of starting with one of Opeth's later, non-death-metal albums (Pale Communion), and working my way backwards through their entire back catalog, all the way to their debut (Orchid). Opeth, Benjamin Button style I guess. :lol:

Another recent (to me) metal find that I'm really getting into is Colored Sands by Gorguts. I find this album strangely, irresistibly compelling. It is somewhat dissonant (OK, maybe very dissonant depending on your definition), and sometimes feels like it is teetering on the brink of chaos. Yet there's also enough melody and structure to hold things together, and I think it may be that tension between chaos and order that I'm finding so appealing. Damn, this is good! If you're curious, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LQd0Io ... 6KNgNk8Neg

Oh, and speaking of unexpected... track 5 on Colored Sands (if you make it that far). :wink:

And no, I haven't abandoned the other musical genres I enjoy. This past week I've also been chilling out to Djam Karet's new album A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof (one of the tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSjno9GEF1k). And the latest from singer/songwriter Sam Phillips (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQUxFfz ... xIiVhL4V60).

It's all good. :D

scofficial
Gerbil In Training

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

A co-worker sent me the link to that Jinjer video, and I liked it enough to go check out some of their other stuff out on Spotify.

Redocbew wrote:

It seemed to me like maybe there's just a touch of a chorus effect, very briefly, in a couple of spots; but yeah based on the live concert clips I found of the band, that's really her doing that.

5 years ago I would've said "not my cup of tea" too. Since then, I've come to terms with growled vocals. My acclimation process consisted of starting with one of Opeth's later, non-death-metal albums (Pale Communion), and working my way backwards through their entire back catalog, all the way to their debut (Orchid). Opeth, Benjamin Button style I guess. :lol:

Another recent (to me) metal find that I'm really getting into is Colored Sands by Gorguts. I find this album strangely, irresistibly compelling. It is somewhat dissonant (OK, maybe very dissonant depending on your definition), and sometimes feels like it is teetering on the brink of chaos. Yet there's also enough melody and structure to hold things together, and I think it may be that tension between chaos and order that I'm finding so appealing. Damn, this is good! If you're curious, check it out:

Oh, and speaking of unexpected... track 5 on Colored Sands (if you make it that far). :wink:

And no, I haven't abandoned the other musical genres I enjoy. This past week I've also been chilling out to Djam Karet's new album A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof (one of the tracks:). And the latest from singer/songwriter Sam Phillips

It's all good. :D

yes the chorus was lit

squito
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 02, 2019 12:28 pm

The sound of silence
Disturbed

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 02, 2019 1:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:

This was wild
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 02, 2019 2:05 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

This was wild

The rest of album the original version of that track was on (called King Of Everything) is decent too; I looked it up on Spotify after someone sent me the YouTube link. That song is my favorite though.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Blotted Science - The Machinations Of Dementia (2007)

Somewhat demented (heh) instrumental prog metal.

The last track is the actually the second-to-last track played backwards. Not just time-reversed in editing... literally played backwards by the musicians. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp94x5KYZmg

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 02, 2019 2:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The rest of album the original version of that track was on (called King Of Everything) is decent too; I looked it up on Spotify after someone sent me the YouTube link. That song is my favorite though.

Once I got past the initial shock, I liked the song. If I'd only heard it and not seen it, I'd have assumed it was two vocalists.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat May 04, 2019 1:12 pm

TesseracT - Sonder (2019)

Djenty prog metal. Generally positive impression on first listen, but doesn't blow me away. I picked up the double-CD deluxe edition, where the 2nd CD is a 3D "binaural" headphone mix. Haven't listened to the headphone mix yet, that'll probably happen either later tonight, or during my Monday morning commute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKsmaG ... gUVtvrjsFo

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 04, 2019 1:44 pm

should just call this the awful music thread (aka metal).

first time i've visited in a while because that's all there is in here anymore.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat May 04, 2019 1:54 pm

DancinJack wrote:
should just call this the awful music thread (aka metal).

first time i've visited in a while because that's all there is in here anymore.

Well... yeah I have been on a bit of a metal kick lately, so a fair percentage of my posts have been about metal bands/albums. But in the past 2-3 months I've also posted about Kansas, Beth Hart, Sam Phillips, Djam Karet, and Soft Machine, which aren't metal at all. OK... Djam Karet may skirt the boundary occasionally (more so in their earlier days), but the vast majority of their stuff is more "old school" prog rock and ambient.

Maybe post about some of the music you do like instead of complaining that there's too much metal? That might encourage other people with similar tastes to jump in and start contributing to the thread...

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 04, 2019 2:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Maybe post about some of the music you do like instead of complaining that there's too much metal? That might encourage other people with similar tastes to jump in and start contributing to the thread...

I, and others, have but all you have to do is read the past few pages to get why I don't really care to anymore. Even the random post of mine that isn't metal, or Ned, or whomever rarely if ever gets any chatter. It's just the metal folks talking metal regardless of the posts by others. I'm not really complaining. These are just facts. You guys can have your metal thread, it's fine, I just likely won't be posting in it. :)

Except to complain about metal, obviously.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Sun May 05, 2019 1:11 pm

For DancinJack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMNAxS3wHc

More seriously, I think I've mentioned in one of these threads before how I understand that metal isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's loud. It's got rough edges, and sharp corners. Sometimes it just wears you out, and sometimes it requires a level of honesty that seems to make a lot of people uncomfortable. Sounds like life to me. :D

A lot of that could be said for other genres of music as well, so it's not like I'm calling fans of other genres liars. People like what they like, and maybe the best thing about music is how it brings people together instead of pushing them apart.

Gyromancer
Gerbil

Sun May 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Because people were people, and if there was one thing you could count on, it was that some of them would be weird. Or rather that all of them would be weird when circumstances happened to align with their own individual brand of insanity.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon May 06, 2019 7:20 am

Got mixed feelings on the TesseracT "binaural headphone mix" I mentioned a couple of days ago. On the plus side, I think it does sound more "natural". On the minus side, the mix seems kind of muddy, with the vocals getting lost at times.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2019 10:08 am

DJ Cummerbund: Play That Funky Music Rammstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUB-3lud60
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

haiduk
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 06, 2019 8:47 pm

cosmic blackened death metal

Haiduk
Death Portent

H

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 07, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm a fundamental Zeppelin fan. A friend just got me to listen to Greta van Fleet. My brother laughed and calls them Greta Zeppelin. Pretty darned good vocals.
'Edge of Darkness' live from Lincoln Hall... Pretty darned good shredding very Zeppelinish.
'When the Curtain Falls'
'Black Smoke Rising'
'Flower Power'
and their cover of 'Change is Gonna Come'
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro