Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:41 pm

I'm debating between a Hercules Double IPA or an Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:46 pm

After putting in my new dishwasher I deserve at least 2 Chimays tonight......I think I'll have the blue ones. :D
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Inkling
TR Staff

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:55 pm

More Rwanda Ingoboka, this time made with a French press. This is quite good, but I think the moka pot brew was the best... I just need a larger-capacity moka pot now.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:25 pm

daveagn wrote:
I'm debating between a Hercules Double IPA or an Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout.

I'd go for the Yeti. But that's just me (both are very good beers).

Hoser wrote:
After putting in my new dishwasher I deserve at least 2 Chimays tonight......I think I'll have the blue ones. :D

Mmm... Chimay. :D

I'm having an Atwater Voodo Vator Doppelbock. I've never had this one before. They seem to have done a decent job; a lot of American micros don't seem to do Bock/Doppelbock right. This one has a nice balance of sweet malt, caramel, and toasty character.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Beer. Tonight we're having a sake testing party, and I plan to generously sample vodka afterwards. Sunday morning's gonna be coming down real hard :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Nothing exciting for me, just Lipton Pureleaf green tea. Hopefully tonight I have a few beers, though that's not for sure.

emi25
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:00 pm

some beer

Swampangel
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:22 pm

Mill St Tankhouse Ale. Tasty stuff, made in Toronto.

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:52 pm

That Yeti was amazing. Anybody have recommendations for similar beers?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 am

Sake is nasty. Vodka hurts now,a nd beer doesn't taste good either. My handover is horrid. Long live sprite and pepto bismal. What the hell was I thinking?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:43 am

daveagn wrote:
That Yeti was amazing. Anybody have recommendations for similar beers?

Well... what was it about the Yeti that you really liked? The rich, malty, roasty character? The oak character? The high alcohol? Some combination of the three? :wink:

Oak-aged Imperial Stouts (and oak-aged beers in general) are fairly uncommon. Goose Island here in Chicago makes one that is aged in Bourbon barrels, which is exceptionally yummy (and really expensive). You'll have much better luck finding "normal" Imperial Stouts (no oak aging).

paulWTAMU wrote:
Sake is nasty. Vodka hurts now,a nd beer doesn't taste good either. My handover is horrid. Long live sprite and pepto bismal. What the hell was I thinking?

You previously wrote:
Sunday morning's gonna be coming down real hard :lol:

So I'd say you were thinking, "Yeah this is a really dumb idea, but I'm gonna go for it anyway!" :lol:

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:48 am

Well... what was it about the Yeti that you really liked? The rich, malty, roasty character? The oak character? The high alcohol? Some combination of the three? :wink:

I think the oak and richness of this beer is what set it apart from other Imperial Stouts I've had. I think I actually had that Goose Island stout when I was in Illinois a few years back. I don't think I had been exposed to enough different kinds of beers to appreciate how good it was.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:51 am

Yeah...it felt really, really good while it lasted. Ugh. I want a way to feel inebriated without the freaking hangover. I hadn't expected to feel this bad though; usually I'm sick for an hour and then feel better. Today...ugh.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:26 am

Okocim Paulone. I'm kinda underwhelmed. Very sweet, little carbonation, very little hops, slight roasty flavor. I've had better, but it's decent.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:10 pm

What beers should I look to invest in? I don't like being drunk, but I like having a nice cool glass that can last me. I'm not much a beer drinker as my friends will drink piss water to get hammered, while i like trying to make a beer last, try to enjoy the flavour. Doing that off $1 beers is really hard however. Any good place to start?

Anyway I'm drinking orange pekoe for the first time in so long. I finally have exhausted my supply of earl grey i got for christmas
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 7 2700X | RX 5700 XT | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Explore the various Sam Adams flavors. I really like most of those.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:19 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
What beers should I look to invest in? I don't like being drunk, but I like having a nice cool glass that can last me. I'm not much a beer drinker as my friends will drink piss water to get hammered, while i like trying to make a beer last, try to enjoy the flavour. Doing that off $1 beers is really hard however. Any good place to start?

Anyway I'm drinking orange pekoe for the first time in so long. I finally have exhausted my supply of earl grey i got for christmas

Summit Pale Ale. <Nacho Libre>It's the best.</Nacho Libre> I have never been fond of any Coloradonite, Mexican or Chinese beer. They just don't taste right. Irish beers are good, especially Molings. But, Molings tastes terrible from a bottle, so get it from tap.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:36 pm

pikaporeon wrote:

Can you get the Unibroue beers where you live? They're a Canadian brewery which specializes in Belgian-style ales. Quite yummy, and generally more affordable (and often fresher) than getting the stuff imported all the way from Belgium.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 pm

Ardbeg 10 year.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:00 am

Was drinking Irish Carbombs last weekend.

Guinness + Jameson's + Baileys

Has to be drunk quick, before the whisky curdles the Baileys.

In the spirit of Irishness (pun intended), also drank some Michael Collins whisky - a little harsh for my tastes.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 am

Jagermeister with a Nyquil cold caps chaser. I have either the flu or anthrax and it aint going away :o

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

Can you get the Unibroue beers where you live? They're a Canadian brewery which specializes in Belgian-style ales. Quite yummy, and generally more affordable (and often fresher) than getting the stuff imported all the way from Belgium.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do notice freshness in beer a lot more easily than my family it seems, so I'll def check that out.

I'm drinking a diet pepsi. For once not due to a late night hacking run, but because of a poli sci essay
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 7 2700X | RX 5700 XT | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

enzia35
Gerbil

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:12 am

Water. From a PUR filter. Lubbock water is pretty dern nasty.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:06 am

Mango juice.. :D

emi25
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 pm

red wine, and now it's time to go to bed, good night. (the time here: 21:40pm)

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:18 pm

emi25 wrote:
red wine, and now it's time to go to bed, good night. (the time here: 21:40pm)

Wuss. :)

Some cheap-ass Virginia white wine. Can't even remember the vineyard and it's not good enough to get up and check the bottle. It's too sweet, even for my tastes.

And it's 23:18 here. :)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:08 am

Drinking Great Divide Hercules Double IPA and running down infidel's on my horse in Assassin's Creed.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:06 am

a mojito! Just one though. Work day and I just can't sleep so maybe a light dose..

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Ahhh, a Sierra Nevada ESB. I thought the ESB stood for Extra Special Bitter, but apparently to Sierra, it's Early Spring Beer. OK. It's lighter, not much depth, not much twang, but very refreshing. It's not particularly bitter, either. But, it looks good and tastes good. Good'nuff!
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:17 am

drsauced wrote:
Ahhh, a Sierra Nevada ESB. I thought the ESB stood for Extra Special Bitter, but apparently to Sierra, it's Early Spring Beer. OK. It's lighter, not much depth, not much twang, but very refreshing. It's not particularly bitter, either. But, it looks good and tastes good. Good'nuff!

Heh... I'm having one of those right now too!

And it is nominally an Extra Special Bitter as well... at least, according to Sierra Nevada's web site. I agree with you, it doesn't seem to have quite as much depth as other ESBs I've had; I think it could use more caramel character.