Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Costco brand bourbon?!?!

Good thing VT is a control state, or my self-enforced ban on distilled spirits would be out the window (yes, I've been able to stay off).

Based on a little online research, they've apparently gone through multiple iterations on their house Bourbon. It used to be a re-labeled Beam product (glad I skipped that one, Beam gives me a raging headache).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Dogfish Liquid Truth Serum. Supposedly an IPA where all of the hop bill came in AFTER the boil.

It's not really an IPA as with no hops in the boil the malt weight and sweetness overpowers anything the dry-hops could do. It's not bad by any stretch, but trying to pin an IPA label on it (given what that means in today's premium beer world) was going too far. That said, those crazy zymurgists at Dogfish keep pushing the boundaries. I'll finish the 6-pack, but likely won't buy it again.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:39 pm

I've got a couple new bottles of single-malt to try: Glendronach 18 and Glenmorangie Astar. I'm favorably impressed with them both, particularly the Astar.

I also tried some Scotch ale a while back. Can't remember what brand it was, but it demanded sipping just like the distilled variant does - too overpowering if you slurp it.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:20 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I also tried some Scotch ale a while back. Can't remember what brand it was, but it demanded sipping just like the distilled variant does - too overpowering if you slurp it.

They start around 6.5% at the low end, and go up from there. Most seem to be in the 8-10% range, with quite a bit of residual malt sweetness as well. Scotch Ales are alcoholic malt bombs, pretty much...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Coffee. Lightly burnt, at that.

I'm far from a coffee snob. We make 10-cup pots drip-brewed through a Bunn something-or-other I can't be bothered to look up. We do use filtered water, though, because the city water is nasty. Anyway, for Christmas my father-in-law got my wife a Starbucks gift card. We don't go to Starbucks because it's way across town and we don't really like the coffee-flavored milkshakes in which they specialize. But she had this gift card. About a week ago she apparently spent it on a bunch of whole beans. She'd said she bought some whole beans but didn't tell me where. I got this cup of coffee a couple days ago and immediately dumped it. It was burnt tasting and gross. My wife said it was fresh, just got the beans from Starbucks, and so I did a little Googling. Apparently that's their reputation.

The caramel-flavored "light roast" is a little better but still not great. I'm drinking it anyway. We're too stubborn to toss it. Maybe we'll give the beans away. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Coffee. Lightly burnt, at that.

I'm far from a coffee snob. We make 10-cup pots drip-brewed through a Bunn something-or-other I can't be bothered to look up. We do use filtered water, though, because the city water is nasty. Anyway, for Christmas my father-in-law got my wife a Starbucks gift card. We don't go to Starbucks because it's way across town and we don't really like the coffee-flavored milkshakes in which they specialize. But she had this gift card. About a week ago she apparently spent it on a bunch of whole beans. She'd said she bought some whole beans but didn't tell me where. I got this cup of coffee a couple days ago and immediately dumped it. It was burnt tasting and gross. My wife said it was fresh, just got the beans from Starbucks, and so I did a little Googling. Apparently that's their reputation.

The caramel-flavored "light roast" is a little better but still not great. I'm drinking it anyway. We're too stubborn to toss it. Maybe we'll give the beans away. :lol:

I used to drink the Starbucks Kenya roast, but that was back when it was a dark roast. Now it is a medium, lacks all the rich flavor it once had, and tastes more just like burnt water.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Le Pamplemousse de La Croix

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Redemption Rye

Not a big hard liquor drinker, but when I do partake, Bourbon or rye whiskey are my spirits of choice.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Redemption Rye (again), neat. With a Revolution Northwest Hero IPA chaser.

Some more thoughts on this: The rye is pretty spicy, yet decently smooth in spite of being 92 proof. The oak isn't in-your-face, but there are some nice notes of vanilla and enough oak tannin to cut the sweetness. Not a bad sippin' whiskey.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Redemption Rye (again), neat. With a Revolution Northwest Hero IPA chaser.

Some more thoughts on this: The rye is pretty spicy, yet decently smooth in spite of being 92 proof. The oak isn't in-your-face, but there are some nice notes of vanilla and enough oak tannin to cut the sweetness. Not a bad sippin' whiskey.

I went a bit more time this weekend, so no whiskey. Although if I had my choice for Whiskey it's always bourbon and usually Buffalo Trace.

I'm sipping some OVR (Old Vine Red) Lot 66.
https://www.wine.com/product/marietta-o ... -66/230123

I dig it, easy sip, just enough punch in flavor to not be bland, very fruit forward and juicy.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm just indifferent to Buffalo Trace. Above average I guess, but not great for its price in my book.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm just indifferent to Buffalo Trace. Above average I guess, but not great for its price in my book.

Whaaat? Really? Surprised to hear that, you'd be the only person I've ever heard say that. I love the heck out of it. My cheapo option is Samuel Grant, which is a Safeway in house brand. You can get a bottle here for around $10!!

I still want to try WhistlePig one day, when I don't mind spending 75-100 a bottle :|. Thanks to Mike Rowe.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Welch wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Whaaat? Really? Surprised to hear that, you'd be the only person I've ever heard say that. I love the heck out of it. My cheapo option is Samuel Grant, which is a Safeway in house brand. You can get a bottle here for around $10!!

TBH I'll take Wild Turkey 101 over Buffalo Trace. It's even a couple of bucks cheaper per bottle (added bonus). Wild Turkey seems to be unfairly maligned by a lot of people; it's actually a very nice Bourbon for the price.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Welch wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

TBH I'll take Wild Turkey 101 over Buffalo Trace. It's even a couple of bucks cheaper per bottle (added bonus). Wild Turkey seems to be unfairly maligned by a lot of people; it's actually a very nice Bourbon for the price.

I've done the wild turkey, and I don't think it's maligned at all, most peoples feelings about it are pretty dead on. If you want to get REALLY drunk on bourbon specifically, it's the right choice. It does do well for cooking certain things that you want to have a punch.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:36 pm

If your goal is to get really drunk on Bourbon specifically, why would you even pay for Wild Turkey? There are a lot of cheap 'n' (varying degrees of) nasty Bourbons that'll get you just as drunk for less $, if that's your thing.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
If your goal is to get really drunk on Bourbon specifically, why would you even pay for Wild Turkey? There are a lot of cheap 'n' (varying degrees of) nasty Bourbons that'll get you just as drunk for less $, if that's your thing.

Getting fershnickered and still enjoy some flavor... Otherwise there is always Vodka (no thanks).

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:25 pm

A Glenmorangie expression that was aged in port casks. Not bad. I like it better than their Nectar d'Or, but I've never been one for wine. My wife got me a 4-pack of taster bottles.

I'm still super impressed with their Astar. It's a real shame it's not a mass-produced whisky.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:01 pm

I decided to try out some Trappist and/or Trappist-style beers & ales since I've heard good things about them. This one: La Trappe Dubbel (an ale) from De Koningshoeven. I like it! It's got a nice light wheaty flavor.
Hakkaa päälle!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:15 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I decided to try out some Trappist and/or Trappist-style beers & ales since I've heard good things about them. This one: La Trappe Dubbel (an ale) from De Koningshoeven. I like it! It's got a nice light wheaty flavor.

La Trappe generally produces good to excellent beer.

I'm not aware of there being any wheat in it (though there very well might be). The fruity/spicy character shared by German-style wheat beers and some Belgian/Trappist ales is due the special yeast strains used, not the presence of wheat. If you want to taste the character that wheat (in the absence of other strong flavors from yeast or hops) imparts to beer, try a fairly neutral wheat beer like Goose Island 312.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 am

Just finished off a bottle of Atlas blackberry hard cider last night.

Now I've got a six-pack of Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin ale to try.
(BTW,I've never tried anything form Lagunitas before...how are they beer-wise?)

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 am

I am 110 percent in line with JBI on Buffalo Trace, though I completely understand everyone's tastes are different. For the "regular" bourbons I drink it's usually either Bulleit 10 year or one of the "aged" Woodfords (they change it up sometimes). I don't drink it super fast so I don't mind spending a few bucks on an OK bottle.

Currently drinking though - Sumatra Mandheling coffee (fresh whole beans from a local roaster that I tend to enjoy - yeah I'm a BIT of a coffee snob but nothing too serious).

Oh, and yes, Funk Starbucks coffee has always kinda had that burnt thing for the past decade or so. I don't really get it to be honest. It's widely known and yet they keep making money hand over fist. Small coffee shops ftw. This was my favorite coffee shop when I lived in Boston. Stumptown was kinda their "house coffee" which is pretty nice for an everyday thing.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:05 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:
Now I've got a six-pack of Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin ale to try.
(BTW,I've never tried anything form Lagunitas before...how are they beer-wise?)

IMO they are generally good to excellent. Most of their beers are pretty hoppy, and many of the ales have that "dank" hop character that has been really popular these past few years for IPAs and similar.

I was pretty pissed off when they sold out to Heineken a few years back, both because consolidation is generally bad for the craft beer industry, and because I was worried that Heineken would "dumb down" their beers. At least the second issue does not seem to have come to pass; the quality seems to have remained high (so far).

They also relocated their primary production facility to Chicago a few years back, so I've been there a couple of times.

View from outside:

The hallway leading to the tasting room & pub, which is buried in the bowels of the facility (it is 10x weirder IRL than the picture shows; the hallway is about 3x as long as the section you see here, there's a disco ball, and "Pure Imagination" from the Willy Wonka movie is playing):

A view of part of the production area:

A small section of the fermentation area (keep in mind that this pic was taken from a catwalk at 3rd story level, so you're seeing only the top part of the tanks... that's a LOT of beer!):

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 pm

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X48RiKQmFQ

Hey, maybe next time you are in Chicago we can take a trip down to Lagunitas. It's not too far from downtown (though in a not-so-great neighborhood). Good food in the pub too.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X48RiKQmFQ

Hey, maybe next time you are in Chicago we can take a trip down to Lagunitas. It's not too far from downtown (though in a not-so-great neighborhood). Good food in the pub too.

Gladly. I love local color. That said, the Chicago Fed took 2018 as a sabbatical year to refresh its hardware in the lab as well as the course offerings, so it'll be 2019 at the earliest.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Arrogant Bastard, bourbon-aged: rather more bitter than I care for - maybe I just don't like hops? It is well that one of the local vice shops lets you buy beer by the bottle instead of having to buy a whole six-pack.

I had a couple Westmalle Trappist ales from the same expedition, a dubbel and a tripel. Good, like them better than the AB, but not as good as the La Trappe IMO. Beer Advocate's website ratings disagree, though.
Hakkaa päälle!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:37 pm

AB is fairly bitter to begin with and the oak from the barrel aging can add some bitterness (tannins) too.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:06 pm

AB is pretty bitter. They're jerks and don't list an IBU level but I have seen estimates of ~100 on the web. I'm not sure it's THAT bitter, but it's bitter.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:42 pm

DancinJack wrote:
AB is pretty bitter. They're jerks and don't list an IBU level but I have seen estimates of ~100 on the web. I'm not sure it's THAT bitter, but it's bitter.

Listed IBU levels are typically just guesstimates anyway. Variations in the hop crop, hop storage conditions and duration, sugar concentration of the wort, and other process variations can raise or lower the amount of bitterness extracted from the hops by a fair bit. Larger breweries may have a lab analysis done on a sample of the finished beer to determine actual IBU levels, but by then it's too late to do anything about it unless they want to blend multiple batches.

For practical purposes, hop bitterness falls into 5 buckets: low, medium-low, medium, medium-high, and high. Well, I suppose you could argue for 7 if you also count beers with no hops at all, and beers which even the most insane hop-head would consider undrinkably bitter... but those are special cases. :wink:

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Last new-to-me in that batch of bottles: Achel 8 Blond, another Trappist. It's almost as good as the La Trappe.
Hakkaa päälle!