Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:56 am

just brew it! wrote:
Skipping the homebrew club meeting tonight. :o

Now I know you're sick.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Just polished off my bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Last night.
Moving onto a bottle of Door County Distillery Single barrel Whiskey.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:06 am

Anovoca wrote:

Oo, do tell me how it is! I haven't tried any of their stuff. I have tried all Death's Door's spirits and like their Mint liqueur best.

Tangentially, still my favorite trip to anywhere on this rock was late autumn up in Door County (especially idly piddling around Washington Island post-leafers). The low limestone receding into the watery horizon was neat. That and the conifer/pine habitat and the peculiar drizzliness and gloom of the inland maritimes during this season speaks to the voiceless animal buried deep in my noggin.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:43 am

Jambe wrote:
Anovoca wrote:

Oo, do tell me how it is! I haven't tried any of their stuff. I have tried all Death's Door's spirits and like their Mint liqueur best.

Tangentially, still my favorite trip to anywhere on this rock was late autumn up in Door County (especially idly piddling around Washington Island post-leafers). The low limestone receding into the watery horizon was neat. That and the conifer/pine habitat and the peculiar drizzliness and gloom of the inland maritimes during this season speaks to the voiceless animal buried deep in my noggin.

The single barrel is pretty darn silky. There aren't a lot of flavors going on (as to be expected with a regular aged whiskey and not a scotch or bourbon) but enough to warrant getting it over their regular whiskey. At the moment I would rate it above Crown XR, similar pallet but a touch smoother. I will try again this weekend neat instead of on the rock. As a side note, they make an award winning Gin (not my thing personally) and their brandies are hands down the best I have every had.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:44 pm

It's Friday. Therefore I'm going to cut out early and have three fingers of Isle of Jura Superstition.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:35 am

Anovoca wrote:
The single barrel is pretty darn silky. There aren't a lot of flavors going on (as to be expected with a regular aged whiskey and not a scotch or bourbon) but enough to warrant getting it over their regular whiskey. At the moment I would rate it above Crown XR, similar pallet but a touch smoother. I will try again this weekend neat instead of on the rock. As a side note, they make an award winning Gin (not my thing personally) and their brandies are hands down the best I have every had.

Thanks! I'll be getting my mitts on some. I have my eyes on their gin and java infusion now, too.

seankay
Gerbil First Class

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:08 am

I having a classic beer!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:28 am

A cup of french press Guatemalan light roast from Peace Coffee in Minneapolis.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Killing off the last bottle of Deschutes Sagefright.

It has grown on me a little since I posted about it a few weeks back, but still don't think I would buy this again. Sage is just an odd flavor to have in beer (and I'm kinda into weird spice/herb beers, so that's saying something).

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:50 pm

Toasting a CUBS WORLD SERIES TITLE!!!!!
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:44 pm

Crown and Dr Pepper. The local liquor store was clearancing out some "gift packs" of the liter sized bottle for like 25 bucks; it came with a coaster that lights up when you put a glass on it.  It makes the Dr Pepper and Crown glowy and makes it look blood red.       It'll be in the trash in a few days but I got a cheap liter of Crown :D
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

PGleo86
Gerbil

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm drinking Midori and Mountain Dew. Dunno that I'd buy it again, but it's Friday night; may as well kill it, no?
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:03 am

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Tried some guiness blonde yesterday, it was okay. Much easier to handle than that overpowering stout stuff.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:32 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

:-?

My father mocks me for not drinking instant. He says that he can definitely taste the difference between it and what I make with an Aeropress, but just doesn't care. Me, I consider coffee a hallmark of civilization.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

My father mocks me for not drinking instant. He says that he can definitely taste the difference between it and what I make with an Aeropress, but just doesn't care. Me, I consider coffee a hallmark of civilization.

At least you haven't gone full-on coffee geek like my wife. She buys green beans and roasts her own.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

At least you haven't gone full-on coffee geek like my wife. She buys green beans and roasts her own.

No, I consider that a bridge too far. I've had people tell me that I don't really love coffee if I'm not roasting my own beans, but I think that's just silly. Plus, I have no need or time for another hobby.

I buy beans from the Trader Joe's just down the street, they have a specific kind (Honduran medium dark roast) that I like very much. I also drink decaf (because I want coffee, but not caffeine in the afternoon), and that took ages to find an acceptable coffee. Most decaf, to me, has a really unpleasant mineral taste. The sole exception I've ever found is Deanimator from Barismo, which I can get from their storefront at the other end of town. Tastes like good coffee, doesn't keep me up late at night.

Lordhawkwind
Gerbil

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Thatchers Gold cider. A premium cider here in the UK. Very nice indeed actually it's my favourite cider by far although to be honest I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. 

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Gentleman get your lady some st. james winery blackberry wine. It's like 5%abv grape kool-aid really. Ladies seem to really like the super sweetness of it.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:39 pm

Stone Arrogant Bastard

Y'know... Stone is one of those breweries with a cult following. And TBH they do make some really good stuff. But I've never entirely understood the popularity of this particular beer. It's not *bad*, mind you... there are some really nice flavors in there. But the finish is just kind of harsh and astringent.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:16 am

Lagunitas Brown Shugga.  A bit dangerous, but good stuff.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:27 pm

I have a smoky manhattan that is my attempt to reverse engineer a recipe from a local restaurant. I was making ribs this weekend, so I put 2 cups of Canadian Club whiskey in the smoker for what was supposed to be 20 minutes. It ended up being about 45, though. Unfortunately, the whiskey got hot enough it started to boil off. What's left is nice & smoky though.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:51 am

Darkmage wrote:
I have a smoky manhattan that is my attempt to reverse engineer a recipe from a local restaurant. I was making ribs this weekend, so I put 2 cups of Canadian Club whiskey in the smoker for what was supposed to be 20 minutes. It ended up being about 45, though. Unfortunately, the whiskey got hot enough it started to boil off. What's left is nice & smoky though.

Any capability for cold smoking? That seems like it would be the way to go next time.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:04 am

Ancient water from underground Gobi Desert aquifer that might possibly be remnants from old sea.  Seriously.

Purified of course.  Salts and mineral content out of the ground is quite high.
Last edited by anotherengineer on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Any capability for cold smoking? That seems like it would be the way to go next time.
That's an interesting idea. I don't actually know how to cold smoke, but I could refrigerate the whiskey before putting it in the smoker. That will get me longer smoking time before I start to get significant evaporation.

For some reason, I'm reminded of Breaking Bad and the low pressure coffee maker.

anotherengineer wrote:
Ancient water from underground Gobi Dessert aquifer that might possibly be remnants from old sea. Seriously.
Okay, I was not expecting to see this. Is this on a menu, bottled in a curio shop or are you logging in from your underground lair?

And because I cannot resist... What is a dessert aquifer? Is that like a naturally occurring chocolate fountain?

Lordhawkwind
Gerbil

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Strongbow cider. It's an English apple cider that's not too bad. Not as good as Thatchers gold but still drinkable.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Darkmage wrote:
What is a dessert aquifer? Is that like a naturally occurring chocolate fountain?

If such a thing exists, then I want to know where to find it right now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Darkmage wrote:

anotherengineer wrote:
Ancient water from underground Gobi Dessert aquifer that might possibly be remnants from old sea.  Seriously.

Okay, I was not expecting to see this. Is this on a menu, bottled in a curio shop or are you logging in from your underground lair?

And because I cannot resist... What is a dessert aquifer? Is that like a naturally occurring chocolate fountain?

Google Oyu Tolgoi.  Water is coming from well (UG aquifer about 72km away)  Camp job 6 weeks in 3 weeks out, closer to 7/2 after travel.  Windy here in the Gobi.  And they got camels, the double humped ones!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Strega. It's surprisingly hard to taste the alcohol in it.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD