Gerbil First Class

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 am

Latte...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:40 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 am

CitruSinesis Pale

My favorite from Lagunitas is still their Brown Shugga, but this is pretty good stuff.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:40 am

Was gifted Sierra Milenario's Tequila Extra Anejo recently; tequila isn't normally my thing but I quite like this. Smoky & peppery with lots of vanilla behind the agave.

Aside from that, also enjoying Brugal's 1888 rum. It tastes like what I imagine a particularly unsweet butterscotch would taste like if you lightly burnt it on a hotplate... not selling it very well, I guess, but I like it. The opposite of cloyingly sweet rums, with a weird lingering saltiness on the finish that I like from some Scotches.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 am

planning on cracking open a bottle of Angry Orchard Tapped Maple hard cider tomorrow night.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 am

Finally bought a six-pack of Angry Orchard Tapped Maple hard cider.

This is so tasty.Goes down even smoother than the regular hard apple cider.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:54 am

New Glarus Brewing just released a Strawberry Ruhbarb ale today. I am going to have to go on the hunt as soon as I get out of work.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Anovoca wrote:
New Glarus Brewing just released a Strawberry Ruhbarb ale today. I am going to have to go on the hunt as soon as I get out of work.

The strawberry rhubarb is *very* sweet (as are their cherry and raspberry ales). So if you're not into sweet beers, you may want to avoid...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Anovoca wrote:

The strawberry rhubarb is *very* sweet (as are their cherry and raspberry ales). So if you're not into sweet beers, you may want to avoid...

I have had most all their beers, this one though is an exception. Fortunately it is in a normal sized bottle so I won't go into sugar induced shock like the time I downed a bottle of their raspberry tart by myself.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Millstream brewing schild brau amber. I smelled it when he was filling it 10 feet away for some reason. Double checked the potency of the aroma when he brought it over. Smelled delicious, my not so discerning taste was very pleased.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Two Brothers Pinball

Immensely flavorful -- yet not excessively bitter -- hoppy pale ale. This one gets a big thumbs up from me! I also love the double entendre of the motto up at the top of the can - "Special when lit".

Two Brothers Brewing is a perfect example of the "local boys who done good" fairy tale. They started out a little over 2 decades ago operating a local homebrew supply shop (where I bought my first set of brewing equipment!), and eventually leveraged that into a sizable regional brewery, beer distribution business, coffee roasting business, and several local (plus one in Arizona) restaurants.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Founders All Day IPA and cheap Scotch.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Founders All Day IPA and cheap Scotch.

We tried the restaurant where the youngest daughter just started a new job (in training to be the kitchen manager). While they had a very limited draft beer selection, one of them was Founders All Day, so I was good. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun May 21, 2017 6:19 pm

All Day IPA is my current "base swill".

David

Sun May 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Kentucky Mule.

Made with Bulleit Rye and Q ginger beer.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Redocbew

Fri May 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Pliny the Elder. Actually never had this one before.

As any self-proclaimed hophead should say. This stuff is badass.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 27, 2017 5:00 am

Redocbew wrote:
Pliny the Elder. Actually never had this one before.

As any self-proclaimed hophead should say. This stuff is badass.

What about the non-self-proclaimed hopheads, who are merely accused of being a hophead by others? :wink:

Beer micro-trivia: The name of the Roman historical figure is pronounced with a short 'i', but the beer name is pronounced with a long 'i'. Why? Because that's how the founder of Russian River Brewing and his employees pronounce it!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Drinking some kind of cream ale. I knew what it was three beers ago.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Drinking some kind of cream ale. I knew what it was three beers ago.

I am drinking "mystery beer" too, but not for the same reason as you.

About a week ago I was looking for a couple of empty kegs to put beer in to take to the national homebrew conference in two weeks. Going through the kegs in the basement, I discovered that one still had a gallon or so of something in it -- mmmm, unknown beer of uncertain age! So we did what any good homebrewers would do -- we tasted it!

it won't win any awards at this point, but it's not bad. Some sort of fruit ale... amber color, smells and tastes of stone fruit (peaches or apricots), nice balance of tart/sweet. Obviously a little on the old side for a lighter beer, but not seriously off. Neither my wife or I remember brewing it. After determining that it was still quite drinkable I put it on the kegerator, and I'm sipping on a pint of it now.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:00 pm

JBL - sounds quite lovely that one.

Personally, I decided to try something I knew needed a bit of time... so popped my Hanssens Artisanaal Oudbeitje Lambic from 2014 that has been standing in my closet.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Aphasia wrote:

Personally, I decided to try something I knew needed a bit of time... so popped my Hanssens Artisanaal Oudbeitje Lambic from 2014 that has been standing in my closet.

Ahh... Hanssens... definitely an acquired taste. Even though sour beers seem to be the trendy thing now, Hanssens has an intensity of Lambic "funk" that I suspect most newcomers to sour beers will find a little off-putting.

2014 is still young! Shoulda probably let that age for another couple of years. :wink:

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
Aphasia wrote:

Ahh... Hanssens... definitely an acquired taste. Even though sour beers seem to be the trendy thing now, Hanssens has an intensity of Lambic "funk" that I suspect most newcomers to sour beers will find a little off-putting.

2014 is still young! Shoulda probably let that age for another couple of years. :wink:

I have about 20 bottles of varying sizes and marks, where 10 is my dear Tilquins that I'm aiming to open one every year for a 10 year period comparing with a fresh one.

My absolute favorite Oude is Tilquins Oude Gueuze a l'ancienne, just find the tartness together with the taste fantastic. And actually not so much on the funky side as many of the Hanssens are, which is often more funky then both Tilquin as well as Boon or even drei fontainen.

And yes, sours and lambics are definitely an acquired taste for most people, but many that comes from wine, especially sparkling ones should have an easy way if they find the right ones.
That said, for anyone not knowing, I tend to not bundle the spontaneously older fermented ones like most lambics in with the more modern sours that are often made with brettanomyces or lacto-acid bacteria for a sour tone, but in a more controlled maner, but IMO most of them lack the complexity and layers of the aged lambics and especially what I think the Oude Gueuzes have.

Then of course, you have the modern crossing like the bretted IPA's that are coming out these days as well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 am

Just sampled a little of my fig beer (straight out of the fermenter, as I was racking it off the figs), which I'm taking to Homebrew Con in a little over a week. The plan is to give it a couple of days to settle (don't want fig seeds clogging the tap lines!), then keg it up.

Still a little yeasty, with some Belgian yeast spiciness (I used an Abbey strain). It also seems a bit more alcoholic than I'd expected; I suspect I got more sugar out of the figs than I originally guesstimated.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Revolution Anti-Hero IPA, lightly skunked. Fortunately, in situations like this if you move it to a shady spot and wait a few minutes most of it will dissipate.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:14 pm

New Glarus (thumpbrint) 2017 Berliner Weisse.

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.c ... ner-weisse

Kind of nice having Wisconsin relatives.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

moog
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:12 am

K ale. (blended Kale salad)

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am

Cheat days (in this humid season) overflow with ice-cold Boylan's Original Birch Beer.

Are there better birch beers? Probably not. Some would say Boylan's own Creamy Red is superior, but that's thoroughgoing blasphemy, sez I. I've tried a good few (and collect all the bottles because I'm a weirdo like that). Avery's has a nice one, and Foxon Park. Probably my favorites, in that order, after Boylan's.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Revolution Brewing's Fist City "Chicago Pale Ale". 5.5% ABV, no IBU specified. Mildly hoppy, malt somewhat thin, feels thin on a "swish", and dies quickly in the mouth.

When you're in the Loop and the only place you can buy canned beer is Walgreen's, this is far better than domestic swill. That said, "pale ale" is stretch.