Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

What's the worst rice rocket you've seen in the wild?

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:25 am

Here's what I've seen.

Doesn't look too bad, does it? (BTW, that's a Geo Metro, if you don't know. Also sold as a Suzuki Swift, for those whose markets had the Swift, but not the Metro)

That's a hubcap, by the way. Yes, someone actually makes a 12" spinner hubcap :P And even worse, someone was stupid enough to buy them :P And instead of destroy them, put them on their car :o

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:30 am

I don't have a pic but a local here bought a 90's Cavalier put 17" wheels on it and added spinners then but a spoiler on it. He had the dumb idea of racing me one night and got his rear handed to him.

I have a 95 Riviera 3.8L V6 Supercharged(Other mods) Visually stock.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:36 am

Those rims are worth more than the car, I'd imagine.
Around here, modding tends to happen to pick-ups, not cars. I saw some weird, very short bodied pickup, with a barely there bed today on a lift kit that made it taller than I am--I'd have needed a step stool to get into the thing! It was maybe 6 feet long in total, and probably nearly 2 feet off the ground. I'd be afraid to turn in it.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:38 am

Lot of truck mods here in Ky too. Most are Dodge Rams and older S-10's with 350's in em.

There is one guy who took the whole back end off his truck just so he could spin its tires going up the hill on the local "strip".
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:15 am

Actually, those were hubcaps.

I've seen the 14" and 15" versions for $22 at Wal-Mart.

Even a Metro would be worth more than that :P

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 am

Were those pictures taken in the rain, bht, or was that just heavy fog?

I'll have to go ricer scouting and bring my camera along. I live near a world-famous drag strip, so if I manage to not get myself shot or arrested, I might be able to snag a few pics.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:52 am

It's called "beat to hell and back camera phone" :P

Anyway, it was sprinkling some, but not really raining. It wasn't at all foggy. The "fog" effect is merely my phone's crappy lens.

Oh, and the real ricers don't ever go to drag strips. Drag strips imply speed, which the real ricers don't have. I think even my JETTA is begging to go eat a Civic DX with a wing, spinners, and a fart can for lunch :P Which is kinda sad, seeing as it's only got 52 horses...

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:55 am

You know, the pictures are horrendous :D but they look like they're ripped out of 3DMark06, replete with HDR effects. You can especially see the HDR lighting in your second pic. :lol:

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:00 am

bhtooefr wrote:
Oh, and the real ricers don't ever go to drag strips. Drag strips imply speed, which the real ricers don't have. I think even my JETTA is begging to go eat a Civic DX with a wing, spinners, and a fart can for lunch :P Which is kinda sad, seeing as it's only got 52 horses...

Civics, uhg. Have you ever seen a Civic with tinted windows and underlights? :lol:

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:03 am

Worst ever?
It was Ford Ka. Painted two colors :roll: with a genourmous double spoiler, a sh1tty ugly-ass custom front grill that looked like a chicken coop and a fake air intake.

Fortunately "spinnaz" haven't made it to Brasil. Yet.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:08 am

Whoever thought that underbody lighting was a good idea needs to be SHOT.

Anyway, I can't wait for NFS:Underpaid. Here's a list of the cars that you get to drive:

1989 Geo Metro. 1.0L I3, 55hp, some ridiculously low torque number, and a headgasket that's about to blow.

1977 Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel. 1.5L I4, 48hp, ~62 ft-lbs tq (IIRC), and in need of a reringing. Oh, and it's a 4-speed, not a 5-speed.

1989 Ford Festiva. 1.1L I4, 50-something hp, yet another low torque number, and it's a rebadged Kia. Need I say any more?

Now, with such STELLAR choices, I'd take the Rabbit, simply because it's got torque, and from what I've heard, reringing the VW diesels is easy (yep, there'll be minigames for repairing your crapbox car) :P Oh, and if they allow for body damage, and occupant safety things, the Rabbit's not a plastic deathbox like the Festiva or Metro :P

Edit: ROFL! Isn't the Ka on the Fiesta platform? (FWIW, when the Festiva came out, it "replaced" the Fiesta here in the US, and the Festiva was then replaced by the Aspire, and then once the Aspire was discontinued, Ford didn't have a plastic deathbox here in the US.)

digitalnrg
Gerbil XP

hahahahahahahah

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:30 am

I can't remeber the site, but I used to have this bookmark of pics of people posing with other people's crappy cars and laughing at them.

This site might be it, and this is a good starting point for laughing!!!

http://www.ricecop.com/view_gpic.php?id ... 839-02.jpg

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:43 am

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:44 am

Grr... RiceCop's blocked under "Message Boards" on this NCF.

Funny, because TR, TDIClub, the VW GTD forum, etc., etc. are also message boards :P

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:37 am

I used to have a <a href="http://www.lada-owners-club.co.uk/Images/Lada%20Pix/Riva%201300%20May%201983.jpg">Lada Riva</a> with a <a href="http://www.maxpower.co.uk/homepage/">Max Power</a> sticker across the back window.

The irony (other than the obvious one) was that "max power" was just what that car couldn't give you because the throttle linkage (made out of crappy plastic rods) didn't work properly. The best you could get was about 80%.

I also know a guy who put an Alpha Romeo engine in a <a href="http://www.2cvgb.co.uk/2cvgb_site_folder/2cv_family_album_folder/Bamboo%20Flowers.jpg">2cv</a>. The main problem with that car was getting the power down as it had its original tyres (which are about 4" wide) :o
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:45 am

The moment I most wished I had a video camera with me is when a "pinto" sleeper burned a lancer. It was both the worst and best rice rocket. You should have seen everyone laughing when it pulled up. We all shut up when it took off.

I don't have a pinto vid but check this one out.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... zy+sleeper

Edit: A bit on and off topic but check this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0110624616

a evo kicking a ferrari's [email protected]@.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:03 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:

I doubt they were really going 130, but the video doesn't prove anything anyway. And WTF is that at the end, "Evo > Subaru"? That has nothing to do with the video. The narrator/driver in the movie sounds like a cocky piece of ****.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:05 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
GokuSS2 wrote:

I doubt they were really going 130, but the video doesn't prove anything anyway. And WTF is that at the end, "Evo > Subaru"? That has nothing to do with the video. The narrator/driver in the movie sounds like a cocky piece of ****.

I also doubt they where going 130. Looked more like 90.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm

Rice rockets and sleepers are two opposite ends of the spectrum.

A rice rocket is supposed to look "fast" (whatever that means :P), but is (as far as mechanicals go) stock, or worse than stock. Appearances actually are MORE important that performance, although most ricers THINK they're helping performance. You know, that Type R sticker is worth 25 horsepower :P

A sleeper is supposed to look "blah", but is mechanically the opposite of blah. The best way to pull it off on most cars is to go stock, but some cars that are already not blah can be brought below stock on the outside. Or, a rust bucket that's been upgraded, but is still a rust bucket also works :P

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:28 pm

From a friend of mine:

Click for a bigger version, the beauty is in the details. I've posted this here somewhere before as well.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:31 pm

mattsteg wrote:
From a friend of mine:

Click for a bigger version, the beauty is in the details. I've posted this here somewhere before as well.

What the hell happened to the rear bumper? I was thinking accident at first, but that doesn't look like accident damage.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:33 pm

idchafee wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
From a friend of mine:

What the hell happened to the rear bumper? I was thinking accident at first, but that doesn't look like accident damage.

Looks like a poor Bondo job, perhaps? Nothing a little buffing can't fix. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:34 pm

idchafee wrote:

Well, when you put a Chevy bumper (look closely, there's a bow tie in the middle) on a Ford Probe, certain "adjustments" need to be made.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
idchafee wrote:

Well, when you put a Chevy bumper (look closely, there's a bow tie in the middle) on a Ford Probe, certain "adjustments" need to be made.

I didn't notice that. Dear Sweet Jesus. How do people like that make it out of childhood?

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 pm

OMFG!

To answer your question, idchafee, I'll ask another question.

How do people like, oh, Charlie Wenzel even figure out how to get online, let alone scam someone?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:48 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
idchafee wrote:

With duct tape. It may not be 100% obvious from the picture, but the joining material *is* duct tape. It's a bit more clear on the bigger version.

digitalnrg
Gerbil XP

children

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:52 pm

idchafee wrote:
I didn't notice that. Dear Sweet Jesus. How do people like that make it out of childhood?

They dont! They are 40 year old kids...

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:54 pm

Try between 16 and 19.

That's the street racing crowd. And, the ricers are the ones that can't afford to have a real street racer. Why Civic DXes? They're cheap and efficient, so the future ricer gets one from mommy and daddy.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:54 pm

Classic rice, from the original riceboy page. Yeah, it's old. It's still hilarious.

http://www.riceboypage.com/
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 pm

All right, I'm really trying here to get my brain around this. Why in the hell would he 1) put a Chevy bumper on. I mean, what's the benefit of a Chevy one vs the one that was on there already? and 2) WTF did he use DUCT TAPE for???