Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: the official Indian food lovers thread!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:25 am

Acidicheartburn wrote:
You have to get naan (a kind of delicious flatbread) when you're eating Indian, as well. Buttered and/or garlic are best for naan.

Agreed. Really good naan is a wonderful thing. So simple, yet so completely awesome.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

cjacob
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 am

My favorites are:

Cadi pakoda
Raajma
and Tandoori Roti

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:17 am

whm1974 wrote:
I do give ethnic foods a chance when I have the opportunity to do so. And so far I haven't been disappointed yet.

I was disappointed in Filipino food. I suppose it's possible I just got unlucky, but I've tried it two or three times from different places, and didn't like it. Something about the way it is seasoned just tasted "off". That's probably the only nationality of cuisine I would say that I don't like.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:20 am

Captain Ned wrote:
There's a really good Indian/Nepali place just down the road and their lamb vindaloo is delicious (and spicy as hell). Haven't tried the goat yet, but they have it on the menu. Haven't had a bad thing from them yet.

The Vindaloo we see today is based on a Portuguese dish that evolved in the Portuguese colony of Goa.
Probably one of the most common dishes in British-Indian restaurents.Mentioned a lot in "Red Dwarf"

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 am

HERETIC wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
There's a really good Indian/Nepali place just down the road and their lamb vindaloo is delicious (and spicy as hell). Haven't tried the goat yet, but they have it on the menu. Haven't had a bad thing from them yet.

The Vindaloo we see today is based on a Portuguese dish that evolved in the Portuguese colony of Goa.
Probably one of the most common dishes in British-Indian restaurents.Mentioned a lot in "Red Dwarf"

I use to watch "Red Dwarf" back during the early 90's on PBS.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am

HERETIC wrote:

Accompanied by Dave trying to find some pappadums and complaining that lager kills a good curry.

No, never watched Red Dwarf.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:36 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
However how is goat curry? I might try that next time I go to a Indian place.

Very similar to lamb curry, but IME goat tends to have a slightly "gamier" flavor.

Any foods you recommend next time I go to a Indian place?

You don't have to wait till you go to a Indian restaurant-Presume it's the same there,
here in Aus every supermarket has a large range of Indian-Simmer sauces in jars,
you just need to add the meat of your choice and simmer for a hour or so.
And don't be scared to experiment-add some chilies or garlic etc................
enjoy

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:27 am

HERETIC wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

wow necro indeed! this thread was originally started my yours truly, plz send all your curries to the gleek household. asap. stat. kthx.

also, news flash update. vindaloo ain't **** no more. that spice level is weaksauce. there's a new sheriff in town, and his name is PHAAL. good luck with your death...

- http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... uy-1938941
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phall

only 1 restuarant in the entire USA serves this... it's in new york city : Brick Lane Curry House
- http://www.bricklanecurryhouse.com/

plz. i wanna try it.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 pm

HERETIC wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I had lamb vindaloo Xmas of 2016 and WOW its good. :D
I also love all sorts of curry, especially hot curry!
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Been getting more into cooking these past couple of years, and have made a few curries. I'm about due to make another one; maybe next weekend. (There's already a plan for this weekend; I'm making red beans and rice from scratch tomorrow. The beans are already soaking and I just got done smoking the sausage that's going into it. So the curry will have to wait.)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I do give ethnic foods a chance when I have the opportunity to do so. And so far I haven't been disappointed yet.

I was disappointed in Filipino food. I suppose it's possible I just got unlucky, but I've tried it two or three times from different places, and didn't like it. Something about the way it is seasoned just tasted "off". That's probably the only nationality of cuisine I would say that I don't like.

I found Bicol express to be really good, but I had it at home with people when I was there, not in a restaurant, as was chicken adobo.

But Bicol was great...
It basically uses chopped up porkchops with bone and all, its fried off with onions, lots of garlic, bit of black pepper, ginger, and several varity of chili's, then you put in a bit of bagoong alamang... well, if you cant get hold of it, a bit of salty ansjovis works in a pinch... then you pour over coconut milk and let it simmer until pork is tender and coconut milk is pretty thick. or an hour or two. One of the best dishes I ever had and a favorite of mine.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 am

Aphasia wrote:
bagoong alamang... well, if you cant get hold of it, a bit of salty ansjovis works in a pinch... then you pour over coconut milk and let it simmer until pork is tender and coconut milk is pretty thick. or an hour or two. One of the best dishes I ever had and a favorite of mine.

bagoong anything is pure nastiness on earth. it's basically salty nasty shrimp paste. it's a horror show of its own kind.

mostly all Filipino food sucks... red hot dogs, DURIAN, longanisa, dinuguan, chicken feet. mostly the cuisine features 3rd world country poor people's dark meat and nasty seafood.

a few dishes i do enjoy is pancit canton, sinigang soup, adobo. but these dishes are mostly remixes of Chinese and Mexican foods.

believe me, I've tried almost every single Filipino food you could think of (minus the balut - chicken embryo). so yeah.

anyways, why are you all going off-topic with this thread? the focus here is INDIAN FOOD not Filipino or any other country's cuisine, start your own thread!

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 am

thegleek wrote:
anyways, why are you all going off-topic with this thread? the focus here is INDIAN FOOD not Filipino or any other country's cuisine, start your own thread!

The thread's been dormant for over a decade, and now you're complaining that it is going off topic? :lol:

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:55 pm

I've been on a Indian dry-streak a while since I changed client, where I am now doesnt have 3 good indian places nearby, so this sunday... lamb curry... Meti Gost... Om Nom NOM NOM!!!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 am

Aphasia wrote:
I've been on a Indian dry-streak a while since I changed client, where I am now doesnt have 3 good indian places nearby, so this sunday... lamb curry... Meti Gost... Om Nom NOM NOM!!!

I really wish there were a good Indian place in the town I live in. If I want to eat that kind of food, I would have to get someone to drive me to a place some distance away in another city. And the last time I went, I had lamb curry w/ bread and a sample pack.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:57 am

Pics of some dishes from my restaurant in India.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Y9VDM

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 am

Man, I really need to make some curry soon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 am

Jigar wrote:

They all look yummy, especially the Punjabi Poutine.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Jigar wrote:

They all look yummy, especially the Punjabi Poutine.

Thanks Cap, I am receiving great response from crowd especially for Punjabi ALOO Paratha, i also took cue from Domino's pizza and introduce cheese burst paratha which has been very well received.

trackerben

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 pm

thegleek wrote:
...mostly all Filipino food sucks... red hot dogs, DURIAN, longanisa, dinuguan, chicken feet. mostly the cuisine features 3rd world country poor people's dark meat and nasty seafood...

There's nothing like a breakfast of genuine Vigan longanisa, runny eggs and sauteed tomatoes (to contrast the fried pork sausage), fragrant rice, and a side of pickled papaya (atsara). Top off with mango juice and hot mocha.

Bagnet deep-fried pork belly is a good substitute here, but needs tangy liver pork sauce to make your heart cry out.

There's nothing wrong with Durian, you need to find the form that works for you. Durian ice cream, for one. The jam or paste on Ritz cheese crackers with Singapore-style white coffee is great.

...a few dishes i do enjoy is pancit canton, sinigang soup, adobo. but these dishes are mostly remixes of Chinese and Mexican foods...

Adobo pork is also good with Japanese roasted sesame sauce. It's not bad in a french baguette, either.

I like pork or salmon sinigang in a bowl of white rice swimming in the soup, with a Coke handy. I usually add Thai patis (fermented fish sauce) and lemon, for that umami tingle.

...believe me, I've tried almost every single Filipino food you could think of (minus the balut - chicken embryo). so yeah.

What about kare-kare with its thick peanut sauce? If you can handle xiao long bao, you can handle balut. Just don't look!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Did my bicol express during this weekend, yummy yum yum...

trackerben

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 pm

It’s my wife’s favorite, but I find Thai green curry beef more interesting, moreso than the Indian version that goes with naan. These things spoil easily. She also loves Laing with some chili in it. OTOH, I go for al dente pasta and tomato sauce laced with chopped bittergourd, vinaigrette, and heaps of parmesan cheese.

I encountered the best broiled beef kebabs in a cheap west London Pakistani diner. It must have been the combination of big succulent British cuts and fresh peppers that did it. I find that south Asian comes together like Mexican. When enriched and moistened with gringo ingredients, it gets better, like Mission burritos.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 am

Jigar wrote:
i also took cue from Domino's pizza and introduce cheese burst paratha which has been very well received.

Should copy this business that's doing well here - http://www.curryoncrust.com/

remo123
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:49 am

Hello,

I miss my Indian food because I am shifting from India to new York and I want to cook Indian food at my home but here I can't find spices.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:41 am

remo123 wrote:
Hello,

I miss my Indian food because I am shifting from India to new York and I want to cook Indian food at my home but here I can't find spices.

Shouldn't be hard to find Indian spices in a large metro area like New York. And if you can't for some reason, there's always Amazon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:45 am

just brew it! wrote:
remo123 wrote:
Hello,

Shouldn't be hard to find Indian spices in a large metro area like New York. And if you can't for some reason, there's always Amazon.

Or The Spice House.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:18 pm

i just found, ordered, and ate the world's most spiciest ramen noodles on the planet.

my eyes are crying, my nose is running, my breathing is shallow, gallons of milk does nothing, and my vision is blurry. no. i am not having a stroke.

for those who crave spicy in their lives, this is your dream come true:

https://yummybazaar.com/products/samyan ... packs-140g

enjoy & happy holidays to all!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:51 am

merry x-mas TR!

nick34
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Hey, i love so much yummy & tasty indian food, chicken tikka, chicken curry, paneer masala, i love just every thing in indian food.

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:44 pm

For me some of the best food from the Subcontinent was Keralan cooking when I had some friends from there who cooked it on a regular basis.

It's really distinct from a lot of other regions of India in terms of culinary history because it was more religiously diverse as a kingdom historically so we get such amazing things as
BEEF ULARTHIYATHU which you can't really find in other regions.

That said, a pet peeve for me is that in some restaurants are starting to make things hot for heats sake. Heat with a purpose is great, especially if it enhances the flavor of the dish overall. But some places are making heat the end unto itself, and if I wanted that I could just get lab grade capsaicin and add it in to the dish....