Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:15 pm

druidcent wrote:
At the risk of sending this off to R&P, the conservative bent of India can be directly related to the British Victorian influence. They were really stuck up..

On the other hand, they brought a lot of yummy vegetables that have been adopted into indian cooking... I don't believe tomatoes or potatoes are native to India, nor garlic... Onions I'm not sure about either... I'll have to get back to you on the rest of the foods that the british introduced to India...

aaaahhhha i think u should really get back to us on that cause i seriously dont agree on that......

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:17 pm

k enuff with the sideshow antics, back on topic with indian food. yum.

so how many variations of rice are there? i know basmati is the best and
biryani is made from it... jasmine is used for more traditional oriental
rice and there are others, but less frequently used...
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:21 pm

thegleek wrote:
k enuff with the sideshow antics, back on topic with indian food. yum.

so how many variations of rice are there? i know basmati is the best and
biryani is made from it... jasmine is used for more traditional oriental
rice and there are others, but less frequently used...

There is one dish known as Dhudh paak.. its made by adding Milk and rice...its sweat dish.... Idli with samabhar i think u might have had it in Banglore ... That side Idli is famose(spell).. :)
Last edited by Jigar on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:21 pm

Dunno about types of rice actually. We use basmati only for special occasions.

Have you tried roti and dal. It is one of my favourite dishes.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:23 pm

lordtottuu wrote:

yeah well dal is just the type of grain. and it can be made in many differeent
ways.. the way yer thinking is like a dal soupy base... u dip the roti bread
in the dal... yum so good! :)
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:32 pm

thegleek wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

yeah well dal is just the type of grain. and it can be made in many differeent
ways.. the way yer thinking is like a dal soupy base... u dip the roti bread
in the dal... yum so good! :)

You seem to have eaten most of our food. Do you ever eat your kind of food? :lol:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:37 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
You seem to have eaten most of our food. Do you ever eat your kind of food? :lol:

american food is boring. i'm into ALL other cultural foods. but honestly,
before my stay in india, i couldnt tell you the difference between a roti,
a naan, and a chapatti was... in fact, i think i -hated- indian food. so dont
tell me how a stay of 6 weeks india has completely changed my life and
outlook of you guys, cuz i dunno. but i love the language, the food, the
people, the culture, the colors, the music, the movies, the land, everything!

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:53 pm

Okay you b@stards. I went and tried Indian food at lunch. I basically bribed a co-worker to go with me.

It was an Indian Buffet. I normally loathe buffets, but this one comes highly recommended by some of our Indian co-workers and it allowed me to get a wide sample. The place was kind of a dump, but the food was terrific.

Not much of it was labeled, so I had to guess at what some of it was. Of the labeled foods, my favorite was Butter Chicken, that was darn good. I had this other chickent dish that must have had a ton of ghee in it, curry, and some beans of some sort. That was my absolute favorite. The guy told me what it was, but I can't remember. It wasn't chicken tikka marsala.

Indian flatbread == win. Damn that stuff is good. There was another bread that had the consistency of cornbread, but it was white. I didn't care for that as much, it had no flavor. I'm kind of thinking I was supposed to pour some of the curries over it, but that didn't dawn on me until later.

There were these 1 inch yellow balls that were kind of like a cookie or something that were absolutely delicious. They seemed to have some nuts, possibly pistachios or almonds in them. I could have eaten 10 of them, but I limited to 2.

I think I'm going to have to try some of the other restaurants in town. One down the road from my home is more of a sitdown and server restaurant. I'd really like to try that.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Yeah no problem. Just post here before you go to an Indian restaurant so that we can reply with some delicious stuff you should try out :wink:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Thresher wrote:
Okay you b@stards. I went and tried Indian food at lunch. I basically bribed a co-worker to go with me.

u da man! woo woo!

Thresher wrote:
It was an Indian Buffet. I normally loathe buffets, but this one comes highly recommended by some of our Indian co-workers and it allowed me to get a wide sample. The place was kind of a dump, but the food was terrific.

on contrare...indian buffets are the best way to try out new stuff! :)

Thresher wrote:
Not much of it was labeled, so I had to guess at what some of it was. Of the labeled foods, my favorite was Butter Chicken, that was darn good. I had this other chickent dish that must have had a ton of ghee in it, curry, and some beans of some sort. That was my absolute favorite. The guy told me what it was, but I can't remember. It wasn't chicken tikka marsala.

yeah, usually all that stuff is labeled.. oh well. i doubt it was a ton of
ghee in it... a ton of ghee would give you the sh*ts for hours... and ghee
(clarified butter) is expensive...

Thresher wrote:
Indian flatbread == win. Damn that stuff is good. There was another bread that had the consistency of cornbread, but it was white. I didn't care for that as much, it had no flavor. I'm kind of thinking I was supposed to pour some of the curries over it, but that didn't dawn on me until later.

yeah soft flatbread is usually naan or roti, depending on a few factors...

and hard flatbread is usually peppered and called chappati

the other bread yer referring to is called idli... its used to dip in sambar, dal, and rasam.

Thresher wrote:
I think I'm going to have to try some of the other restaurants in town. One down the road from my home is more of a sitdown and server restaurant. I'd really like to try that.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

yay for you! now only if we could convert frobozz in to trying it out like you did! 8)

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:20 pm

I've been a long time fan of Indian food. We've got a place here in town that is absolutely fantastic. If you live in the OC area or are visiting, I highly recommend it.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

champs
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:35 pm

I love Indian food! One of my favorite things about summer is eating fresh corn on the cob, which some call "maize".
Was Jesus white, conservative, or capitalist?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 pm

champs wrote:
I love Indian food! One of my favorite things about summer is eating fresh corn on the cob, which some call "maize".

um dude. wrong INDIAN... we're talking about the curry ppl over by pakistan
that eat rice and talk hindi and worship cows and buddah, not native-american indians! :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:40 pm

Thresher wrote:

There's Indian food in downstate Illinois? Where did you go? PM me if you want, or else suggest it here.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

champs
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Hey, American Indians are from Asia, eat rice, worship cows (the buffalo kind), and speak in a foreign language... or at least those were their native ways.
Was Jesus white, conservative, or capitalist?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:00 pm

yer just 'trying' to be funny champs, but failed at it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:04 pm

thegleek wrote:
yer just 'trying' to be funny champs, but failed at it.

Given your recent (as in, past hour or so) posting history, all I can say is... pot, meet kettle. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:14 pm

The cookie thing was probably fried cheese. (Rasgulla)
Good stuff!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:43 pm

You guys are making me hungry.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:00 pm

Damn, reading all this made gave me a craving for papadums. Way too long since last time. Oh well, have to go get some next time.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:02 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Damn, reading all this made gave me a craving for papadums. Way too long since last time. Oh well, have to go get some next time.

remind what the difference is between a papadum and a chapatti again plz...

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:03 pm

Chapati or chapatti is a type of roti or Indian bread eaten in South Asia and East Africa. It is made from a dough of atta flour (whole grain durum wheat), water and salt by rolling the dough out into discs of approximately twelve centimeters in diameter and browning the discs on both sides on a very hot, dry tava or frying pan (preferably not one coated with Teflon or other nonstick material). Each disc is then held for about half a second directly into an open flame, causing it to puff up with steam like a balloon.

Often, the finished chapatis are brushed with ghee (clarified butter). Variations include replacing part of the wheat flour with millet (bajra) or maize (makka) flour. The chapatis are then referred to in Hindi as bajra roti or makke ki roti. When a mixture of millet, maize and gram flour is used, the chapati is called a missi roti.

Chapatis are usually eaten with cooked dal (lentil soup) or vegetable (Indian curry) dishes, and pieces of the chapati are used to wrap around and pick up each bite of the cooked dish.

The steaming (ballooning) step can also be achieved by placing the chapati in a microwave oven for five to ten seconds. However, because microwave cooking can cause the chapati to become soggy, a heated grill or open gas flame are recommended.

Papad (also papadam, poppadom, papadum, and appalam) is an Indian and Sri Lankan flatbread. Typically, it is prepared using black gram bean flour, rice flour, or lentil flour with salt and peanut oil added. The ingredients are made into a dough and formed into a thin, round shape similar to a tortilla. As the dough is prepared, the papadum can be seasoned with a variety of different ingredients such as chilies, cumin, garlic, black pepper, or other spices.

Papadums are cooked by deep-frying in oil, which causes them to expand and crispen. They may also be cooked by roasting them over an open flame, in a toaster oven, or in a microwave oven. Depending on the cooking method they may be either soft and moist or crisp in texture.

Most often served as a complement to a main dish, they are also eaten as a snack or as an appetizer to be topped with chutney, various dips or salsas. Commonly made in different sizes, the smaller ones are for snacks and the larger variety may be used as a food wrap.

Directly from Wikipedia. Its great. Wikipedia FTW

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:13 pm

I had lamb banyirim (?) today. Pretty good stuff. I need to try something spicier though.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:06 pm

I'd love to be able to go back that restaraunt in Rochester. There are actually two of tem, one of each side of the street. The one on the right side sold meat and vegetable dishes, while the one of the left sold vegetarian only dishes. Something about their religion not allowing for animals to be prepapred in the same area that vegetarian meals were being cooked was the answer the waiter gave to me. Having had some Indian food before, I walked across the street and got my food at the vegetarian place while my Grandmother and my wife ate the other one. It was incredible food, and a great way to round out the culturally diverse gatronomic holiday. We had Thai food as a late breakfast, Korean Food for lunch, Indian food for dinner, and Ice Cream at Friendly's for desert. Truly one hell of a belly rounding holiday.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:20 pm

I think if all vegetarian food was as delicious as most Indian vegetarian dishes, I might actually be able to tolerate being vegetarian. :wink:

(Beer is vegetarian, after all... :lol:)

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
I think if all vegetarian food was as delicious as most Indian vegetarian dishes, I might actually be able to tolerate being vegetarian. :wink:

(Beer is vegetarian, after all... :lol:)

Not all beers, unfortunately. Any that use isinglass finings for clarification (which is most mass produced beers) aren't vegeterian.

Stick to Guinness!

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:49 pm

Thresher wrote:
Not all beers, unfortunately. Any that use isinglass finings for clarification (which is most mass produced beers) aren't vegeterian.

I'm fairly certain that the use of isinglass mostly has fallen out of favor, due to the fact that it is expensive, and difficult to prepare and store properly. I imagine some British breweries probably still use it, as it has been a part of British "real ale" tradition for ages.

AFAIK US craft breweries generally use kettle finings (derived from seaweed) and/or post-fermentation filtration, not isinglass.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:24 pm

Ok.. the 3 rices I can think of off the top of my head are

Basmati - used for special occasions, light and fluffy
Jasmine - Fragrant aromatic, very nice
Sona Masoori - shorter grain grown in a specific region haven't actually tasted any..

Kevin> I'll have to try out that place next time we're up in the OC area :)

Thresher> The yellow balls were probably ladoos made from gram flour (besan if anyone knows what that is) I'm surprised because those are usually served on special occasions only, but then again Apr. 06 this year was a festival, so maybe you got lucky :) .. rasgulla is milk, sugar, and cottage cheese in a rose-water syrup. Also my experience has been, the more of a dive the restaurant looks, the better the food :)

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:48 pm

I'm not sure if it is Laddoo or not.

They had two sweets, one was a ball of cake donut textured flour that had been fried and had a honey liquid over it. The other one was bright yellow, had a much harder shell/crust on it and had a few nuts in it. The flour was much coarser than the first one. The second one didn't have any liquid on it.

That second one was sooooooooo good.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Thresher wrote:
I'm not sure if it is Laddoo or not.

They had two sweets, one was a ball of cake donut textured flour that had been fried and had a honey liquid over it. The other one was bright yellow, had a much harder shell/crust on it and had a few nuts in it. The flour was much coarser than the first one. The second one didn't have any liquid on it.

That second one was sooooooooo good.

The first one if probably rasgulla or gulab jamoon. The second one is a ladoo