Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:34 pm

It tastes nothing like southern okra.. in fact if you didn't know any better you'd thing it was some exotic vegetable.

radix
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:01 pm

druidcent wrote:
Man.. you should have seen both KFC and Baskin Robbins when they opened up in Bangalore.. it was like you were going to a 5-star restaurant.. Doorman, tablecloths and everything :)

I miss the Bay Area.. best Indian food outside of India... :)

San Diego has one good restaurant, but it is insanely expensive, and comes no where close to the places in Mountain View and Sunnyvale...

I am in Mountain View right now, and it is the first time I tried indian food, since I haven't seen one indian restaurant in my city in Brazil. And I really liked it. By the way, they have a lot of different restaurants in Castro St here, it's even hard to choose where to go :D

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:45 pm

Never had indian food in my life . I would like to try it sometime the only problem is the nearest place is probably 150 miles away in Salt Lake City . If not there then Denver or LasVegas are the next closest big towns . Can anyone recomend something good for a beginer ? How does the heat in Indian food compare to Mexican ? I am called a fire eater when it comes to mexican so whats in the same heat range in Indian food .

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Hance, there aint nothin like Indian food when it comes to heat.
I think I've had Thai food that was hotter , but that's it.

Mexican is probably like third or fourth, maximum heat-wise.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:06 pm

Hance wrote:
Never had indian food in my life . I would like to try it sometime the only problem is the nearest place is probably 150 miles away in Salt Lake City . If not there then Denver or LasVegas are the next closest big towns . Can anyone recomend something good for a beginer ? How does the heat in Indian food compare to Mexican ? I am called a fire eater when it comes to mexican so whats in the same heat range in Indian food .

wow... maybe u need to do an internet order or something? cuz yer right,
no ethnical restuarants exist near grace, idaho. and boise is 290 miles
away with at least 5 indian restuarants. salt like city for the 174 mile
drive would indeed be your shortest path to indian food heaven... thats
a 3-hour drive i take it, eh?
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

cheesyking

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:24 pm

Hance wrote:
the nearest place is probably 150 miles away.

:o crosses Idaho off list of places to visit.

Sorry I'm sure it's a nice place... BUT 150 MILES TO THE NEAREST CURRY!
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:25 pm

lol there isnt ONE thing in idaho worth visiting or living for... i mean
you can get potatoes anywhere - geez!
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

druidcent

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:06 pm

radix wrote:
druidcent wrote:
Man.. you should have seen both KFC and Baskin Robbins when they opened up in Bangalore.. it was like you were going to a 5-star restaurant.. Doorman, tablecloths and everything :)

I miss the Bay Area.. best Indian food outside of India... :)

San Diego has one good restaurant, but it is insanely expensive, and comes no where close to the places in Mountain View and Sunnyvale...

I am in Mountain View right now, and it is the first time I tried indian food, since I haven't seen one indian restaurant in my city in Brazil. And I really liked it. By the way, they have a lot of different restaurants in Castro St here, it's even hard to choose where to go :D

Amarin Thai if you want Thai food, and there's a Pizza place all the way at the other end near El Camino that is excellent. If you can get there, on El Camino Real near San Antonio is one of the best Indian restaurants in the Bay Area.. "Amber" Heading north on El Camino Real, it is 2 blocks before San Antonio on the right hand side.. they have what we refer to as 50-mile Butter Chicken.... people drive 50 miles just for their butter chicken.. and yes it is that good....

druidcent

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Hance wrote:

I find Indian and Mexican food quite similar in terms of spiciness.. Indian food is a little bit more tangy, but that's mainly because they blend the chilis with other spices... If you can handle Mexican, you can do Indian they are about the same level...

Crayon Shin Chan

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:14 pm

Nobody mentioned tandoori chicken. What were you guys thinking? plus, Roti canai/telur (egg) are the best there is.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

cheesyking

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:00 am

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
Nobody mentioned tandoori chicken. What were you guys thinking? plus, Roti canai/telur (egg) are the best there is.

Tandoori chicken in the UK is usually just a big blob of red food colouring on a plate, not my favourite thing :cry:
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

pepys
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:14 am

thegleek wrote:
[dude, thats real sad, seriously. i mean we live in a big diverse world here,
so how or why would you want your parents, your culture, or your religion
tell you what to eat and what not to eat? live a little man! go down to
MG road or brigade road and get yerself some pizza hut, mcdonalds,
subway, or KFC even... there's just so many options!!!! do it!

life is short, so dont waste it away eating saag and paneer all yer life man!

No dude, All that fast food poison you listed is body killer.

Eat healthy, because if you don't then, when you are an old man like me you'll be taking cholesterol medicine, and NOT eating and drinking a lot of things you used to like.

Except good beer. :P

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:28 am

cheesyking wrote:
Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

Tandoori chicken in the UK is usually just a big blob of red food colouring on a plate, not my favourite thing :cry:

yeah but true traditional tandoori is food baked inside a clay oven lined
with poop/manure to give it flavor... the red stuff only comes in for the
bbq-like flavoring ppl add on to it nowadays... since cooking food in
america with poop isnt considered a 'good' thing, especially with the FDA

cheesyking

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 am

thegleek wrote:
cheesyking wrote:
Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

yeah but true traditional tandoori is food baked inside a clay oven lined
with poop/manure to give it flavor... the red stuff only comes in for the
bbq-like flavoring ppl add on to it nowadays... since cooking food in
america with poop isnt considered a 'good' thing, especially with the FDA

You can buy the real thing in the UK (maybe without the poop) most curry houses have a clay oven. It's just that the vast majority of curry houses over here understand that most "English" English people think tandoori chicken is supposed to look like a pair of red PVC nickers so that's the way they make it whether they poison their customers with additives or not, very sad.

On a side note:

I know a woman who wanted to learn how to make an authentic curry. She asked a Bengali friend to show her how. The first thing she did was raid all her local indian food shops for every different spice she could think of. When she arrived for her cooking lesson with her big bag of stuff the Bengali woman immediatly went through the bag and said:

"why did you get all this stuff? You just need one of those big tins of generic curry powder!" :lol:

Well I thought it was funny
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

duplo
Gerbil XP
Location: head for alpha centauri, then turn left, I'm next on the right! Otherwise known as London!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:59 am

I had Indian food last night... I love indian food. I had a Prawn Balti which was good, and my girlfriend has, erm, I think Tandori Chicken but it was actually dry and not saucy, it came with a side dish of veg curry and rice. Was very nice. Better than mine actually!

I studied in Birmingham which is will known for Indian food... used to eat it at least once a week! And now whenever I go to brum I just have to have a Balti!

I also cook it, and I use tubs of mixed curry spices since they have pretty much every spice I need, in one little tub! And it taste good too if I do say so myself!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. - George Bernard Shaw

xp2200, 1024MB (2*512), 120GB & 80GB, Ti4200

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:47 am

Looks like everyone likes our stuff. I don't know how I am gonna survive when I am away from India. No offence but I don't particularly like western food and the fact that I am a vegetarian makes it worse. I like many of your veggie items though. Fries are one of my most favourite items in the world :D

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:12 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
Looks like everyone likes our stuff. I don't know how I am gonna survive when I am away from India. No offence but I don't particularly like western food and the fact that I am a vegetarian makes it worse. I like many of your veggie items though. Fries are one of my most favourite items in the world :D

you heading over to america? canada? what city/state? theres TONS of
indians everywhere, u will NOT be alone! :)

druidcent

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:42 pm

lordtottuu wrote:

Actually it's not that hard... my wife is vegetarian (and a picky south Indian one at that)... She found she likes vege Thai and Chinese food (even if it is different than the stuff you get in India) and Italian (Penne pasta, Pasta alfredo, vegetarian lasagna)... most restaurants have vegetarian options...

If you make out to any big city in the US, you'll be guaranteed to find an Indian restaurant, plus vegetarian options in other places... If you are in California, you'll even get regional food restaurants... :)

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:21 pm

thegleek wrote:
you heading over to america? canada? what city/state? theres TONS of
indians everywhere, u will NOT be alone! :)

I'll be moving over to London in possibly a year or two or maybe four. Dunno when precisely.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Salt Lake City is about 175 miles away but its a two hour drive . From my place there is only one town i have to drive through between me and SLC . The rest of them you pass through on the interstate . For those of you that have never driven in Utah the people are **** nuts . The speed limit on I15 is 65 MPH . Drive anything less than 85 MPH and old women pass you and flip you off because your going to damn slow :o

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:16 pm

druidcent wrote:
Actually it's not that hard... my wife is vegetarian (and a picky south Indian one at that)... She found she likes vege Thai and Chinese food (even if it is different than the stuff you get in India) and Italian (Penne pasta, Pasta alfredo, vegetarian lasagna)... most restaurants have vegetarian options...

If you make out to any big city in the US, you'll be guaranteed to find an Indian restaurant, plus vegetarian options in other places... If you are in California, you'll even get regional food restaurants... :)

That makes me breathe a bit easily. I think I'll survive. What I hate is half cooked stuff.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:36 am

The best samosas I've ever had were made by the mother of a pakistani firend of mine. He was nice enough to share them with me, even though it was for the meal he was eating to break his Ramadan fast. When I called it Indian food I got the look of death from him. He said, "It's Pakistani! Not Indian." So, I picked on him for the rest of the day about. Sadly, he never shared his food with me again. :cry: Oh well. :lol:
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:04 am

BuddhistFish wrote:
The best samosas I've ever had were made by the mother of a pakistani firend of mine. He was nice enough to share them with me, even though it was for the meal he was eating to break his Ramadan fast. When I called it Indian food I got the look of death from him. He said, "It's Pakistani! Not Indian." So, I picked on him for the rest of the day about. Sadly, he never shared his food with me again. :cry: Oh well. :lol:

Dunno about whether a samosa is an Indian or pakistani food but it is one the most staple snack item here. It is given with some gravy, chutney or sometimes sauce

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:13 am

lordtottuu wrote:
BuddhistFish wrote:

Dunno about whether a samosa is an Indian or pakistani food but it is one the most staple snack item here. It is given with some gravy, chutney or sometimes sauce

I've always considered them to be regional dish. I'm certain his response was based on his cultural dislike of Indian people, and not on any anthropological knowledge of the food. He was an amusing guy, but the Pakistani/Indian cultural tension was very evident in him. He wouldn't even help and of the Indian people who came into the store we worked at. For what it's worth, many of the Indian people who came in to the store made a point to avoid him when they read his name on his name tag. You've got to love cultural racism. :roll:

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:14 am

BuddhistFish wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
BuddhistFish wrote:

I've always considered them to be regional dish. I'm certain his response was based on his cultural dislike of Indian people, and not on any anthropological knowledge of the food. He was an amusing guy, but the Pakistani/Indian cultural tension was very evident in him. He wouldn't even help and of the Indian people who came into the store we worked at. For what it's worth, many of the Indian people who came in to the store made a point to avoid him when they read his name on his name tag. You've got to love cultural racism. :roll:

That's the way it has been for years. Good to know that our generation is more tolerant.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:34 am

There are only two Indian restaraunts, that I'm aware of, here in Augusta. (Yes, the home of that terrible golf game that's going on right now.) The food is decent, but it's not the best Indian food I've ever had. I had the spiciest Tandoori Mushrooms at an Indian restaraunt in Rochester NY once. That was the best Indian food I've ever had. They served what I think was a cold pumpkin and coconut curry as a desert. It had an incredible flavor.

The Phaal Curries I've had can't hold a candle to the Wild Green Thai Curries I've eaten. That Green Thai Curry has a special something in it that just gets up and smacks your tastebuds around. Awesomely hot and flavorful. Still not the hottest food I've eaten though.

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:55 am

When we visited NYC in October, we went to a cool Indian/Pakistani restaurant in the East Village.
(One of the owners was Indian, the other from Pakistan; I believe they were married)
Amazing food. I had some curry I've never seen anywhere else that was heavily informed by black peppercorns. Awesome.
If anyone knows what that is, I'd appreciate it.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:32 am

Ok let me tell u the best Indian food u can have..... In India usually when we want to eat the best food we will move near any village or near Highway where there is place called Dhaba (very small hotel) ...... where u have to sit on the bed which is made of khathi..(its a thread which covers the bed) now u dont get a dish but u get a dish made of leaf... and yum the food at Dhaba is good.... its heaven :D

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:17 am

Jigar2speed5095 wrote:
Ok let me tell u the best Indian food u can have..... In India usually when we want to eat the best food we will move near any village or near Highway where there is place called Dhaba (very small hotel) ...... where u have to sit on the bed which is made of khathi..(its a thread which covers the bed) now u dont get a dish but u get a dish made of leaf... and yum the food at Dhaba is good.... its heaven :D

well ppl like me have been to your country, and i'm well aware of what
a dhaba is... it's most definately NOT a small motel... in comparison to
america, it's like driving down to the ghetto and eating food next to a
garbage dump. there's dogs and cats running around constantly begging
for food, and all the aluminum bowls/plates are hand-washed... yeah you
get a plantain leaf to eat on (not true of all dhabas), but the food they
serve is good, kinda homemade-feel to it, but i most certainly would not
consider it the 'best' food... its what road travelers eat on a long journey
between destinations for the most part.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:28 am

thegleek wrote:

well ppl like me have been to your country, and i'm well aware of what
a dhaba is... it's most definately NOT a small motel... in comparison to
america, it's like driving down to the ghetto and eating food next to a
garbage dump. there's dogs and cats running around constantly begging
for food, and all the aluminum bowls/plates are hand-washed... yeah you
get a plantain leaf to eat on (not true of all dhabas), but the food they
serve is good, kinda homemade-feel to it, but i most certainly would not
consider it the 'best' food... its what road travelers eat on a long journey
between destinations for the most part.

Then u certainly got me wrong there.... There are Dhabas where u dont get garbage....yes cats and dogs are always there to make sure every thing is clean :P ...Its a clean place but only thing which i like is the quiet and u r sitting under the tree.... fresh air.... Lassi,,,, dahi,,, curry,,,sabzi,,,Roti,,,,salad,,, oh jesus i am feeling hungry now got to go :D ... Have u been such places..... i can name them even.....