Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Radio Control Hobbies

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Any reason you are painting and not monokoting?

Chris hooked me up with some of his clear laminating film. With paint and the lam film the plane will gain a little weight but will be way tougher than if I put monokote on it. Besides I have thirty or forty different colors of paint to choose from. I don't even have a single roll of monokote.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Hance wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:
Any reason you are painting and not monokoting?

Chris hooked me up with some of his clear laminating film. With paint and the lam film the plane will gain a little weight but will be way tougher than if I put monokote on it. Besides I have thirty or forty different colors of paint to choose from. I don't even have a single roll of monokote.

In the hobby world I like that solution a lot. There is something to be said about sacrificing a bit of weight for durability. Every time I've made a pretty model it got not so pretty quicker than I would like.

I really want to glass wings, but I don't want to do it without vacuum supplies. Without the vacuum it just isn't worth the effort. Too much weight, not perfectly even enough, not as good adhesion and not glassy smooth. I need a good pump though, and ebay specials don't look too appealing. I want a good low volume, high pressure low power model that I can leave running for 18 hours without worry.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:03 pm

I have never looked into that type of glassing. A friend of a friend builds his own glass gliders. I will ask my friend if he knows anything about the other guys equipment next time I talk to him. Have you read anything about Kilque's method ? Basically its fiber mesh and 3m 90. Its heavy, ugly, and not all that smooth but it works well.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Hance wrote:
I have never looked into that type of glassing. A friend of a friend builds his own glass gliders. I will ask my friend if he knows anything about the other guys equipment next time I talk to him. Have you read anything about Kilque's method ? Basically its fiber mesh and 3m 90. Its heavy, ugly, and not all that smooth but it works well.

I have seen what he does. It creates a rough surface and is very heavy. With my method glass usually comes in at around 4oz/yard^2 weight (IIRC), with carbon or kevlar about 2oz/yard^2. Kevlar is the best for wings because you can use the top layer of kevlar as half of the aileron hinge. It's expensive though.

I might try parking a car on the wings overnight instead of the vacuum pump. I should be able to hit 2-8psi, depending on the wing size. 500 or so square inches of mold means you need 4,000 pounds of weight over it! I think I can get roughly 1,000 pounds per front wheel. On smaller wings (hotliner!) this should be sufficient to at least get bonding, if not a little excess removal. It wouldn't do a great job on the leading edge nor would it be as good at removing voids or bleeding out the resin, but it beats paying $300-400 for a vacuum rig.

With a good vacuum pump I can go all the way to 14.5psi at my altitude. That kind of pressure would be like putting the weight of a 7,000 pound front axle on a small set of wings. I would normally stay below 8 with EPP though because of how squishy it is. I want to try some spyder foam when I do eventually find/make a suitable vacuum pump. I wouldn't need a spar with foam that rigid, and it's still light as a feather. The strength would be purely in the combination of amazingly strong and stiff skin and very brittle foam. Not crash worthy, but damn near the lightest/stiffest construction of a small plane I know of.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I did some more cutting and a bit more dry fitting. I've figured out how I can glue it all together so it comes out true for other parts to mate to it. Should be nice and stiff.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Well here is my latest project. Leadfeather Edge 540

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 22, 2010 11:35 am

I'm at a loss here. It's getting time to order a new plane, but I have a bit of a problem. My eyes are very large.

For under $200 I could have a 5S or even 6S funjet. This would be completely sweet, except I would have to drive a ways to fly it, which would undoubtedly mean I would fly less.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2010 1:43 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
I'm at a loss here. It's getting time to order a new plane, but I have a bit of a problem. My eyes are very large.

For under $200 I could have a 5S or even 6S funjet. This would be completely sweet, except I would have to drive a ways to fly it, which would undoubtedly mean I would fly less.

Unless you want stupid crazy fast you really don't need a 5 or 6s powersetup. I really like my funjet they fly great once they are airborne and pickup a little airspeed. Launch can be kind of exciting at times. For launch you have to set the throttle in just the right spot. You want plenty of power but not enough the plane is going to torque roll over when you throw it. I have the Turnigy 2836-2350 on my funjet with a 60 amp speed controller FWIW. If you want crazy fast Multiplex has the new Funjet Ultra. Not sure exactly what the difference is but I know its designed for much higher speed than the regular funjet is.

How big of area do you have to fly in right now ? Launch takes very little room say 50 yards to gain plenty of height. Landings are power on most of the way to the ground and take a good amount of room for smooth landing. I would say 100 yards is about ideal for a landing strip. That gives enough room to get the plane low and decide if you need to go around for another try or not. It could be done in half that it just wouldn't leave any room for error.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 22, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm into RC submarines, does that count?
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Hance wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

Unless you want stupid crazy fast you really don't need a 5 or 6s powersetup. I really like my funjet they fly great once they are airborne and pickup a little airspeed. Launch can be kind of exciting at times. For launch you have to set the throttle in just the right spot. You want plenty of power but not enough the plane is going to torque roll over when you throw it. I have the Turnigy 2836-2350 on my funjet with a 60 amp speed controller FWIW. If you want crazy fast Multiplex has the new Funjet Ultra. Not sure exactly what the difference is but I know its designed for much higher speed than the regular funjet is.

How big of area do you have to fly in right now ? Launch takes very little room say 50 yards to gain plenty of height. Landings are power on most of the way to the ground and take a good amount of room for smooth landing. I would say 100 yards is about ideal for a landing strip. That gives enough room to get the plane low and decide if you need to go around for another try or not. It could be done in half that it just wouldn't leave any room for error.

The park less than a mile from where I live has four soccer fields side to side, plus a large watershed pond on the south side.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=17

I think it is about 300 yards or so of uninterrupted grass, and about 400 yards of good flying space. I like to keep it closer to me though so I have room to wiggle if something goes wrong, like when I lost my EasyStar. I stand in the middle of the space on the far west side.

The field is very bumpy and the grass is kept very long for a soccer field. It's no good for small gear, hence hand throw only.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 23, 2010 2:37 pm

SomeOtherGeek wrote:

That very much counts! let me know what you have!
I almost started a submarine project this year, until I realized how expensive it would be to get something to work where i wanted it to work. I'd rather just put money into my air hobby.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun May 23, 2010 8:46 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
SomeOtherGeek wrote:

I almost started a submarine project this year, until I realized how expensive it would be to get something to work where i wanted it to work. I'd rather just put money into my air hobby.

A few years ago, one of the TR forum members did a project where he made a submersible with video camera. It was tethered to the surface boat, but the footage of the lake bottom was pretty cool.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 23, 2010 9:13 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:
SomeOtherGeek wrote:

A few years ago, one of the TR forum members did a project where he made a submersible with video camera. It was tethered to the surface boat, but the footage of the lake bottom was pretty cool.

I remember that, and resurrected it not too long ago. It was unpowered and didn't have any kind of RC. It was a sweet mutli-camera video camera for under $100.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm

I am thinking about getting this car:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XZHH7&P=EP

If I could only figure out a decent cheap brushless setup for it. The LHS wants $150 for a motor/ESC for it. They must make a killing on it.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
I am thinking about getting this car:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XZHH7&P=EP

If I could only figure out a decent cheap brushless setup for it. The LHS wants $150 for a motor/ESC for it. They must make a killing on it.

Hobbyking has brushless setups for cars to but i know nothing about them at all. Still havent had time to dig the heli out BTW.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 25, 2010 10:29 pm

I know that all sensorless brushless motors on the market are compatable with one another. Hobbyking does have speed controllers that I am eying with good reviews.

I wish I could figure out the largest motor it will accept. It says "370 motor" everywhere. There are 20mm diameter "370" motors and 24mm diameter "370" motors. If I could go 24mm I could get quite a bit more power in it.

Looking around, it looks like this car hasn't been in the wild very long. It looks like they just started actually showing up in April. There are drag problems in the drive train, too. That's no good.

Also, I'll be the only dork driving an RC car with a 6 channel air radio.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2010 10:39 pm

From what little I know about cars I do know most of them run sensored brushless motors vs the usual sensorless that are ran in airplanes.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 26, 2010 10:35 am

Do you guys have an opinion on the quad-copter that Parrot has been demoing at the gadget shows for the past year? It's obviously not for the serious enthusiast, but it might be kind of a cool toy.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Do you guys have an opinion on the quad-copter that Parrot has been demoing at the gadget shows for the past year? It's obviously not for the serious enthusiast, but it might be kind of a cool toy.

I haven't done much reading about the quadcopter. From what little I have seen and read about it I would have to use one before I bought it. The control scheme on the iPhone might be great and it might be a complete wreck.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 pm

It looks kind of cool, but you can't really do much with it. It doesn't look like you can fly it outdoors on any but the stillest days.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 26, 2010 10:27 pm

If the weather holds, maiden flight will be this weekend. I am still working on battery placement to allow for flexibility in CG and the cowl isn't fully painted yet. Actually, the cowl is going to get stripped and painted again. You can't really tell from the photos, but the red on the cowl isn't a good match for the body. I have the guys over at Sherwin-Williams Automotive paints trying to get a good match. But, a badly, or non painted cowl is not a hindrance for maiden.

For size reference, that is a 68" wingspan. It has a 26cc two stroke gas motor in it and weighs in at 11.5lb wet.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Got nine days scheduled for no work today so that I can go to three different three day long fun flys this summer. The first one is a couple of weeks away and I have a few projects I need to get done by then.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Alright, opinion time...

I have a Kyosho USA-1, a large (1:10) 4WD truck. Kyosho hasn't made this truck or parts for it for several years, and it's kind of hard to get parts.

In addition to the truck itself, I have added a high-speed/high-torque steering servo (about $100 all by itself ten years ago) and a Novak Cyclone ESC, plus of course some nice low-gauge silicone-coated wiring and details like that.

I have a cracked frame and a cracked suspension piece. Do I get a new 4WD truck from a different company and move my servo and ESC to it? Or do I scrounge around on eBay and other places on the web trying to find replacement parts? Opinions?

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 am

Buub wrote:
Alright, opinion time...

I have a Kyosho USA-1, a large (1:10) 4WD truck. Kyosho hasn't made this truck or parts for it for several years, and it's kind of hard to get parts.

In addition to the truck itself, I have added a high-speed/high-torque steering servo (about $100 all by itself ten years ago) and a Novak Cyclone ESC, plus of course some nice low-gauge silicone-coated wiring and details like that.

I have a cracked frame and a cracked suspension piece. Do I get a new 4WD truck from a different company and move my servo and ESC to it? Or do I scrounge around on eBay and other places on the web trying to find replacement parts? Opinions?

Check out thetoyz.com
They have some more obscure parts still available, and much of them are made by them as hop-ups.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 29, 2010 5:27 pm

I ordered a funjet. I'm debating keeping it very light or strengthening it a ton. I do think I'm going to upgrade it to larger HS-81 servos.

Also, I am putting a $12 headlock gyro in my HBFP. We'll see how it does. I have a feeling I need to get new motors for it. Both the tail and main rotor were getting pretty weak last year. If that's the case I might go cheapo brushless.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 29, 2010 5:56 pm

So what power system are you going to us in the fun jet ?

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Hance wrote:
So what power system are you going to us in the fun jet ?

To start:
3S lipo
Great Planes Ammo 28-45-2700 (28mm diameter, 45mm length, 2700kv)
Castle Creations thunderbird 54 ESC.
6x4 or smaller prop. I'm going to play with it. 6x4 worked well with my Easystar, but this being faster I might want a smaller, higher pitched prop.
HS-81 servos. There are a lot of people running these, and I already have two.

I'm debating getting a new ESC and one or two 5S batteries and a smaller prop. The motor I have can run 5S well and is well suited to this plane with a tiny screaming prop.

I just discovered that my work is very close to the HobbyZone retail outlet. That's sweet! The other LHS is very expensive by comparison. Hobbyzone actually gives a 10% discount for retail pickups, too. That' sweet. No shipping and it covers more than tax.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 29, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm coming up with another HK order.

New brushless motor and ESC for micro stuff. I am going to build a small foam flying wing type thing. It will also be the brushless motor of choice for my heli if I decide that is the best way to go. For $20-25 how bad can it go.

New lipo batteries, "2200mAh" "30C" I doubt they'll be that good, but the price is right.

I'm waiting on what Hance has in mind for his Blade400 and to see if my plans for a 1/16 or 1/18 car pan out.

I'm also debating getting a 36mm motor, ESC, and 4S-5S batteries for the funjet. The power setup I have will need to be shared with the boat that's on the way.

I'm going to start using brand name, dedicated receiver batteries for all of my 3S+ stuff. That's the boon of cheapo batteries--I don't know if one of them faulted to wreck my EasyStar. I like the security of having a quality, reliable battery holding my connection to aircraft. Does anybody else do this? I don't even trust the BEC that's in my Castle Creations ESC.

The fanboat is coming along. I have all of the the major parts cut, shaped, and fitted. The hydrofoils look great, the tail came out pretty good, but all parts need to be finely sanded. The chassis is all glued up and true I need to build a jig to hold the front hydrofoils true while the glue sets. They need to be as close to perfect as I can measure if this is going to work well. I only need to manufacture some foam parts for bodywork/buoyancy and the seal for the access hatch.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Heh, I got my heli set up today, found the batteries which had been sitting at 3.7V all winter. Two of them are puffed. They have 30 or so cycles on them and were $4.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun May 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Well... maiden flight was today.

I got the cowl painted and stripped, though I am going to have to sand the black and redo it. I was impatient and the black wasn't dry enough when I put down the clear coat. The clear spider webbed something nasty on top of the black. Still, it looks nice enough in the photos. Fueling and starting was uneventful. With my wife working the video camera, I taxied out and took off....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRnkf4jUyk

The video cuts where it does because a couple of seconds later, my wife lost track of the plane. I was having a terrible time filming as well. The sun was directly overhead and the glare on the screen made it nearly impossible to track a plane at any distance. About 10 seconds after the end of the video, the engine died.

I learned several good things during the flight. #1) Don't take off with your rates set for 3D, especially on maiden. #2) Trim is a bit off, especially on the elevator. If you watch the video carefully, you can see that it starts to climb a bit before hitting flying airspeed. I didn't have time to play with the trim before the dead stick, but I am fairly certain it was not tail heavy, mainly due to what was learned in... #3) The plane has a very nice glide. Seagull lists this as a .60-1.00 two stroke sized airframe with a wing loading in the 24.5-27oz/ft^2 range. I have a 26cc gas engine on it and a wing loading of 35 oz/ft^2. If you read the message boards, most folks these days would freak and claim it was way to heavy and would never fly. However, it glides wonderfully. When the motor died, I was in a gentle climb, getting read to start trimming the plane. Nose down to gain some airspeed and head back toward the runway. I had to fight the bad elevator trim to keep the nose down, but of than that, it was very manageable. I was about 200 yards out and at maybe 100ft. Not enough to make it to the runway and make to turn to land so I had to ditch in the cow pasture that surrounds out field. Unfortunately it is not the most smooth surface and a rather large clump of dirt ruined what would otherwise have been a most excellent landing. The gear grabbed and was ripped out and managed to flip the plane over on its back too. Luckily, the gear block came out clean and the only damage to the rest of the plane was to the top of the rudder which was crushed a bit. I didn't even break the prop.

I haven't figured out what killed the engine yet. I checked over the plane when I got it back to the pits and everything was connected and functioning as it should. Right now, I suspect heat. I had run the motor for 20-30 minutes, testing it at the house, but that was without the cowl. I suspect that the airflow into the cowl wasn't going where it was needed and so not cooling to motor or ignition. I'm re-gluing the gear this evening and may take some time tomorrow to test the motor.

Not the best possible outcome, but still reasonable successful. If nothing else, I now know for sure that even in a dead stick condition it will be a manageable airframe despite it's weight.

--SS
Last edited by SecretSquirrel on Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.