Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Re: Fish hobbyist thread (aquariums and tanks - not the sport)

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:04 pm

FWIW, I never replace the filter cartridges anymore, just blast the clean with hot tap water and stick them back in. Sure the carbon loses it's usefulness but I've never been big on chemical filtration anyway. Also, I order just about all of my aquarium supplies online from drsfostersmith.com. Lastly, if you get the new filters makes sure to leave you old ones running in parallel for a month or so, otherwise it'll be the same thing all over again.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:22 pm

drfish wrote:
Lastly, if you get the new filters makes sure to leave you old ones running in parallel for a month or so, otherwise it'll be the same thing all over again.

Good call.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Or find a filter like I have in my sons, which has a paddle-wheel for keeping the bacteria happy and a separate filter cartridge for changing when clogged. Really works nice so far. I has only been two weeks, and I have never seen an aquarium equalize so fast. Five happy fish in 12 gallon plastic bowfront so far.

I bought it as a kit at PetCo for my son, since the 5-gallon was a lesson in futility. The filter in the 5-gallon would clog and you were forced to change it, and then the aquarium would go out of whack. Then the heater would stick on to add insult to injury. On top of it the incandescent bulb would last only about 3 months (tube bulb). Tired of that POS so out the door it goes.

The 12-gallon has that neat filter and a compact florescent bulb which the plants seem to like a lot. I thought it came with a heater, so I had to drop the buck on a good one. Anyhow it looks nice, and it gave me a chance to scrape off the snails.

Similar to these:
http://www.petco.com/product/11538/SeaC ... riums.aspx

-LS

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 am

Well I stopped by the library on the way home and picked up all 4 of their books on aquariums. Time to educate myself. We also went by Pet Supermarket and Petsmart and they both had the filters at like $30-35 (even though petsmart.com has it for $21. I don't get that). That's a little higher than our budget will allow, so we're just going to try and be more careful and smarter about maintaining our current setup.

liquidsquid

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Ah, this is the one I bought. Not a bad deal since it is very nice looking, and east to deal with feeding and lighting.

http://www.petco.com/product/13810/Mari ... m-Kit.aspx

Granted you can get a whole setup for a lot cheaper, you would loose the advantage of plastic, the look, the lighting, and that slick little filter.

They have larger versions too. I am sore tempted to get a new 100 gallon setup for downstairs, I miss my 150 gallon (but not the work side of it!).

-LS

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:56 pm

So I found something quite cool:
Link

If only I had an extra $500 :lol:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
So I found something quite cool:
Link

If only I had an extra $500 :lol:

I'm in the process of DIYing something with similar capabilities. I've got temp and pH monitoring, fan controlling, AC outlet switching, and time syncronization over the internet functioning, but am having difficulty getting a pointer to pass correctly in my code that would glue the time sync to the rest.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:21 pm

mattsteg wrote:
I'm in the process of DIYing something with similar capabilities. I've got temp and pH monitoring, fan controlling, AC outlet switching, and time syncronization over the internet functioning, but am having difficulty getting a pointer to pass correctly in my code that would glue the time sync to the rest.

How much of the hardware are you customizing? (Aka is this something that once you get the software side of it done, you'd be able to port it to another system?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:20 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

How much of the hardware are you customizing? (Aka is this something that once you get the software side of it done, you'd be able to port it to another system?

I've got one of these lying around, so the hardware side is pretty dead simple. I hacked the sensor off of a digital thermometer, built a quick and dirty little amp for the ph electrode, and threw in a few relays and powered it with various wall-warts I have lying around (I save them for use as inexpensive power supplies). Fan control is accomplished through the chip's integrated pwm capabilities and the board's buffered drivers. Using this rather than going from the ground up makes some things simpler, but adds some cost and reduced flexibility a bit. I won't be integrating everything that that does, obviously, as I only need/want certain capabilities. None of the individual tasks are very difficult to implement. I'm not sure what all you mean by porting things to another system, but in the end most of the components of an aquarium controller aren't all that different from legos. ph probes generate a voltage but can't deliver much current, so they need a high input impedence buffer/amplifier to produce a signal that's useful. That signal's as readable with a radio shack special voltmeter as it is with a microcontroller. Switching outlets I'm just doing with 12v relays - any 12v signal will actuate them. Any network stuff is built on the sdk for my hardware, so isn't particularly portable (but then again the protocol is pretty simple). The temp sensor is just an RTD, so all you need is a way to measure its resistance.

In the end, it really comes down to quality software and integration with this sort of thing. The individual tasks are easy, it's the integration and failsafes that are going to be more difficult, not the sensing (hence my pointer issue where I'm passing a pointer...but it's not getting from point A to point B) The commercial controllers are pretty reasonable values for everything that they do. I'm not going to save a ton, but it's a fun project and allows me to implement a few interesting/unique trivialities if I want.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Cool. Thanks for explaining.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Might as well put some of my education to work :lol:

liquidsquid

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:29 am

Neat way of combining hobbies of embedded control and aquariums. Even better IMHO to use a controller with a USB interface such as this:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/sit ... 4684491437

Cheap for what it does, and the development software is easy to use. It is just hard to integrate the free USB stack and the CodeWarrior beans at first. This will let you log everything via PC if desired and power via USB. Using this controller on a project at work, and it is the nutz.

-LS

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 am

mattsteg wrote:
Might as well put some of my education to work :lol:

:lol:
I was actually going to call up one of my old roomates and see if he'd be willing to do something similar for me. :lol:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:41 am

Well I figured I'd be nice and went to Wal-Mart and spent the rest of my month's money on a heater for the fish. It's a 100W heater that's rated for 10-30 gallon, but I figure it should be fine for a 50 gallon since we're in Florida and I don't expect to need it all that often.

EDIT: If I do my calculations right, that equates to 1 degree of temperature increase every 1.22 hours, or every 73.33 minutes, or every 1 hour, 13 minutes, 20 seconds. That sounds like it should do the job well.
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:45 am

Our anemone split this week, so we now have 2 anemones.

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:55 am

Are there any pics of the aquariums in this thread? I'm curious to see people's setups.
Does not compute

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:51 am

I'm out of fish--a friend wound up with my cichlid tank. A heater malfuction took the other one :evil: :evil: Oh well.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

liquidsquid

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Ok, dredging up this old thread. After taking a long hiatus with big aquariums (4 years +), my son's little 12 gallon became a fish-breeding heaven for Angelfish. It has "forced" me to set up a new one. Go figure. I could never get to baby stage with my big aquariums, though they were probably too crowded. I had to rescue the babies since the parents were eying them up for dinner since there were two younger generations in there.

Anyhow, I grabbed my BIL's old 40-Hex setup and gave it some upgrades. First I purchased a Fluval canister filter (great!), a "stealth" heater, and some high-intensity lights and light timer. Planning on lunar lighting for fun, just waiting for LEDs right now.

Then some new gravel, plants, small loach, and a fake log. I had to move the babies faster than expected since I watched a parent "chew" one up in front of my eyes. Anyhow the move was successful since I waited a week for the aquarium to settle. Now I have around 15 1/4 to 1/2 inch babies schooling around in the big aquarium. I will be happy to see 4 or so make it top full size. I have only lost one in two days. Considering their size, I am surprised how tough they are!

Anyhow, on with the pictures!
http://picasaweb.google.com/wymanfamily3/NewAquarium?feat=directlink

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Fish hobbyist thread (aquariums and tanks - not the spor

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:56 am

liquidsquid wrote:
Ok, dredging up this old thread. After taking a long hiatus with big aquariums (4 years +)

Heya liquidsquid! Remember me? Myself and (now my wife) drove over to your nice place in New York to purchase that HUGE 120g plexiglass fishtank from ya!

I was so surprised that it actually fit in the back of my truck (no longer have the truck), but I think you gave me measurements beforehand.

Anyways, I am posting to let you know that your fishtank is still running and operational! It's been good to us for these past 4+ years. My wife takes great care of it (and the fish inside)!

liquidsquid

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Wow, back from the silent dead ;-). Just stay calm in the R&P area and we will enjoy your company. Glad your enjoying your aquarium, I am getting the itch to get a bit larger than my hex, but I am resisting with all of my might.

I now have my 5yo son hooked on aquariums and frogs. Two tree frogs in his terrarium looking mighty fat with every kind of bug we can catch. He has not been "fortunate" enough to make them so happy they sing, which I am hoping will happen soon so he will be willing to let them go.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Try altering the temps to whatever your early spring temps are, and misting them with dechlorinated water that's slightly cool for several minutes several times a day for a few weeks. Also, manipulate thier photo period to mimic early spring. That *should* trigger a breeding response and get them singing. And good god is it LOUD.

edit: this assumes they're locals that ya'll caught. If you bought exotics at a pet store do not release them.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:35 am

Sometime this coming week, I am going to receive a 220 gallon aquarium, stand, and filtration system. Its going to be a great upgrade for my Tanganyikian dwarf African Cichlids.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:24 pm

Many words that I care about were just said.

Have you discovered this guy's amazing channel?

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:15 pm

My previous tank is this one (in this thread)...
viewtopic.php?p=824213#p824213
Currently I have only Julidochromis Malari, Lamprologus Brichardi, dwarf plecos, and a few austrailian rainbows. I will be posting before and after pictures as I get this going. The tank will be moved in this Friday. Its 72"L x 31"H x 24"W. I will have to make some alterations to the bookcase that currently occupies that wall.

The tank has been in use as a freshwater tank but its drilled and rigged for salt water. There is an overflow and return drilled in both back corners of the tank. So I will be using the overflows and returns for my fludized bed filter and UV sterilizer loop, but will also use undergravel filters and powerheads. These fish prefer pH in the 8.5 to 9.4 range and very hard ~240 ppm water. I'll be using crushed coral sand that has been working very well so far. I will use A-type alkali syenite, granite, and pegmatite rocks from my collection as background. Its going in my living room.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Could fish survive a vehicle environment. I'm mostly just curious about whether they cave survive the sloshing and vibrations.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Could fish survive a vehicle environment. I'm mostly just curious about whether they cave survive the sloshing and vibrations.
Perish the thought!
As to sloshing, baffles and isolators could take care of it. Its the temperature you have to worry about. Just a few degrees excursion too quickly and they are dead. Cars get too cold in the winter and way too hot in the summer.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Bummer. I was hoping I could have a goldfish companion or something.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Sometime this coming week, I am going to receive a 220 gallon aquarium, stand, and filtration system. Its going to be a great upgrade for my Tanganyikian dwarf African Cichlids.

Very nice! I have a 120G inside tank for my Cichlids (and some other random fish like angels, cory's and guorami). The goldfish/koi are in the outside 700G pond.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:17 pm

I've been watching the King of DIY and decided I would do a variation of this aquarium stand build sized for my tank with 2"x6" redwood construction grade lumber. I sold off the filtration system which was sized for a 2-3000 gallon system (and very loud) and donated the proceeds to SITOK. I'm going to wrap with 3/4" plywood but instead of doors on the front; I will use velcroed panels. On the fence about putting plywood on the top because this tank supports only on the sides and is drilled for salt water. If I do put plywood on the top, I would add cut outs at the back corners for free access to the fittings and put a good polycoat over it. I've got my drains (2" pipe with 3" shower drain at top) and returns (1.5" with 3/4" outlet for loc-line dual nozzle) and 2" bulkheads with 1" threads below and 1" slip above. My pump is a Pan World 100PX that is reasonably quiet and has been running my old system for many years. I've got my own hand rolled in-line 3' x 4" transparent PVC fluidized bed for aerobic filtration. I'm going to put a second column of pumice after the fluidized bed to get anarobic nitrate reduction then finish off with my present in-line Aqua 15W UV sterilizer.I'm going to put in 1" ball valves at the drains and returns so I can swap things out without serious leaks. I'm going to put plywood above the bottom bracing and then polycoat the inside of the stand so that leaks don't get through to the hardwood floor beneath. I'll also polycoat the outside of the stand so that leaks don't weaken the frame. My civil engineering GF says I should not put plywood on the very bottom (1) because spilled water might leave me with water beneath the stand with no way for it to dry out and (2) it won't significantly improve weight distribution on the floor. My last stand (55gal) used 4"x4" and 3/4" plywood wrap. It was heavy but open at the bottom so water spills were never a problem for the flooring beneath because the contact are could dry out easily. Maybe the plywood wrap should stop 2" above the floor to facilitate drying out. What do you guys think?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Yeah I wouldn't do plywood. I'd leave the inside open. That's how my sump is under the 120g.