Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Drachasor
Gerbil

Re: Fish hobbyist thread (aquariums and tanks - not the sport)

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:32 am

When my wife and I get a house, I've had a crazy idea to get/make multiple takes with large tubes connecting them. Is that remotely feasible? How hard would/necessary would that be to clean? Hmm, I suppose with the proper valve setup, one could close off parts for draining. Hmm, I wonder if I could make a fish/motion detector so that if I wanted to empty a tank, valves would stay open unless a fish tried going back in. Guess that depends on the speed of the valves verses the speed of the fish -- would need to have it significantly faster to prevent fish injury. Maybe it would just be easier to have robot fish.

I've never really had fish before, so if I seem (too?) crazy, let me know.

We have cats, so they'd enjoy seeing the fish and slapping at them -- though, how bad is this for the fish? Do they get used to it or will it do psychological damage to them? I know they might just be fish, but I don't want them tortured.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:34 am

Most fish won't care about other animals. As long as they aren't physically threatened, they should be fine.
For tubes, it's not hard to do, you just have to create a vaccuum in the tubes so that water sucks up there. It would be the same pressure as in the tanks, so the fish would swim through it fine. I had that setup with PVC a few years ago, but with opaque PVC. I had the pump in 2nd tank that pumped water to the 1st, then it would flow back through the pipes. I also fed the fish in the first, so they learned to swim back through pretty quick. I ended up having to put a valve in the top and the a very small pump that would turn on each night to suck all the air out to keep the pressure. I took that down when I upgraded from 2x55g to 1x120g.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:44 pm

My aquarium stand is finished. I used Eleven 10' x 2" x 6" boards. Its a thing of beauty. I'll try to get some pictures up tonight. :D
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Wow, Necro thread! Since this thread went dead, I broke down and got a 110 tall, and re-finished a stand to go with it. A few weeks ago I introduced something nasty into my aquarium and lost 3/4 of all fish. Nothing visible, but I think it was some microbiome in my canister filter had a major battle and lost so my water quality went to hell. I tried everything to recover, and all I could do is wait for it to settle out.

The kiddo got bored with the hobby and dropped it for a few years, but then won a goldfish at the fair a few weeks ago. He set up a 10 gallon and off we go again!

Oh, then I got a real aquarium:

https://goo.gl/photos/79GpFEpTBjA8enqi7

Best, most fun thing I have ever done! This album was a few years ago, and we are still enjoying it. It is fun to swim with the fishes! It however has taken a lot of time away from the computing hobby.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 pm

That's cheating.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Wow, Necro thread! Since this thread went dead, I broke down and got a 110 tall, and re-finished a stand to go with it. A few weeks ago I introduced something nasty into my aquarium and lost 3/4 of all fish. Nothing visible, but I think it was some microbiome in my canister filter had a major battle and lost so my water quality went to hell. I tried everything to recover, and all I could do is wait for it to settle out.

The kiddo got bored with the hobby and dropped it for a few years, but then won a goldfish at the fair a few weeks ago. He set up a 10 gallon and off we go again!

Oh, then I got a real aquarium: https://goo.gl/photos/79GpFEpTBjA8enqi7

Best, most fun thing I have ever done! This album was a few years ago, and we are still enjoying it. It is fun to swim with the fishes! It however has taken a lot of time away from the computing hobby.

wow.. necrothread comes alive indeed! it's been over 6+ years since we last spoke. and we've owned your 135# tank for all those years and got so much pleasure out of it. but liquidsquid, we finally ended up
selling it (for super cheap - like $50 for everything, including filters, extra smaller tanks, pumps, etc) to a friend who had more of a spark in this hobby then we did. he turned it into a salt water tank and
it looks real nice. fun to know how things end up, eh?

and new owner even sent me photos of his progress:

Image | Image

Image | Image

.. and the finished product!

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:52 am

I'll admit I've lost most interest in my aquarium, but I'm committed to taking proper care of the fish. Damned if I can find a picture of him at the moment, but I have a 15 year old sailfin Pleco named Hernan. A few generations of fish have come and gone in my 35 gallon tank since Hernan has been keeping things clean. Since I'm not too invested anymore, the only other tank inhabitants are another Pleco that I can't remember why I got about 10 years ago of some other plec. species, (they seem to get along fine), some bleeding hearts and six scissortails at the moment.

liquidsquid

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:17 am

I miss that old aquarium, but my wife doesn't. It took up too much space in the living room. Looks like it is in great use!

Now I get to swim with Koi that are likely in the 10lb range, just huge. And perch that the original stockers are averaging around 12 inches long.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:37 pm

I have my nice happy 30 gallon with a betta and a bristlenose pleco and tons of plants. Easy care sicne it's lightly stocked and heavily planted and decently filtered. That's how I like doing fish

Though I would still like a nice 500 gallon community tank...that someone else had to clean and maintain :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:56 pm

So sad to see Joey's recent plight with his arowana. Breaks my heart. (Of YouTube fame)

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:32 pm

This weekend we had a neighbor go under the house and sister 4 joists and add two sets of posts and beams (at each end below where my aquarium is located) across the 4 joists for further support for the floor under my 200 gallon aquarium. I've been running with only 10 inches of water for a month. I filled it full and its fabulous. I'll post pictures soon.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Wow, Mr Bill, another former 2CPUer. :o I've been into planted tanks since 2004, but a couple of cross-country moves a few years back did that in.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Around July my wife and kids saw Betta fish at a big box pet store. I broke down and agreed to get a 2.5 gallon tank with a small filter, 2 plants, and a single fish. I diligently did water changes every week. The fish did great until the last 2-3 weeks. This morning we had a dead fish. I suspect it was water temperature, our house is 69-70F. I did a bit of research and it turns out Betta's do better in water that is 78-80F, 72F minimum. It upsets me the stores sell these kits(some as small as 1 Gallon) and really the fish probably need some type of water heater too. Now I need to decide do I get a water heater and another fish.

PS I would probably like to get a 5-10 Gallon tank over the 2.5 Gallon if we do this again.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:00 pm

10 gallon aquariums were the standard size when I was a kid. My favorite tank was a 20 gallon long. The little electric heaters are easy to install and operate, but they weren't totally reliable decades ago.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:08 pm

yeah, I woudln't keep a betta in less than 5 gallon; and at that point 10's are usually actually cheaper to buy for some weird assed reason.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

liquidsquid

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm

I must confess that a 20-long is also my favorite. Easy to manage, stable enough that a loss in power wont wipe out your fish quickly in the winter or have too fast of changes in PH.

Make sure to spend a reasonable amount of money on a well-rated water heater. The cheap ones fail, and not in a safe way. My son's aquarium turned into a tropical fish stew from a mid-range heater sticking on. Water was about 180 degrees when we found it.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Had a pretty good looking tank until I added some floating plants from a local nursery. Something came in on the plants and I lost all but 3 fish to a disease that resembled dropsy. Did not realize UV tube was not working. It was only a couple months old and made light but was not making UV light. one filament was touching the wall of the tube so it was lighting but not making UV. Should not have gone with aftermarket UV tube instead of Aqua-UV OEM.

I lost 6 loaches, 6 calvus, 6 lelupi, 30 julidiochromis (6 adults), 6 austrailian rainbows, and close to 100 brichardi (3 breeding pairs 20 adults and too many fry to count).

I bleached the heck out of the tank and system, followed by vinegar, then bleach again, and finally a restart.

Not going to put brichardi in the new setup. They breed to darned fast.

I've had the survivors in the tank for a couple weeks now. 2 dwarf plecos and 1 Australian rainbow.
I upgraded the pump from a Panworld 100PX to a Panworld 250PS. Also, ditched the fluidized bed and went with a full 3 x (17" x 23")' undergravel filter. I set them on three 6' x 1/2" pvc pipe to make it a continuous set. Still running the water through a 4' x 4" pumice bed (hopefully for nitrate reduction) and a 15W Aqua UV sterilizer. New UV tube should arrive today.
Last edited by Mr Bill on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Oh man, that is painful. I just sold my 13 guoarami/Cichlids up to 6” and bought a bunch of guppies. I’m excited to see how quick the population will grow to with a full 120g to spawn in.
Also, for Christmas I got my son his own tank for his room. A simple 10g Kit with some more guppies.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I lost 6 loaches, 6 calvus, 6 lelupi, 30 julidiochromis (6 adults), 6 austrailian rainbows, and close to 100 brichardi (3 breeding pairs 20 adults and too many fry to count;

:cry:

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm

I haven't had an aquarium since we moved about 4.5 years ago. I've had the itch for awhile though and finally did something about it last week by cleaning up a tiny tank that we grew out some tadpoles in last spring. I outfitted it with some local beach sand, a couple rocks I saved from one of my old tanks, and some java moss delivered via Amazon Prime.

I added the first inhabitants to it a few hours ago, two cherry red shrimp and four ghost shrimp. I'm pretty happy with it so far, even though it's incredibly basic. I think I'll probably add a female betta to it in a couple weeks and call it fully stocked at that point. Time will tell if I want to go all in and setup a larger tank, but it's nice to finally dip my toe back into the hobby that inspired my handle more than 20 years ago. Although, at this point I guess I only qualify as drshrimp. :-?

BTW, Mr Bill, how's your tank coming along?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:31 am

I love shrimp in the tank. They are so much fun to watch.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 am

Reminds me of when I had a 75 gallon reef tank. Only had a few fish in it, mostly corals, snails, and shrimp. It was a really gorgeous tank, very health and stable. Just before I went on vacation some kind of extremely fast growing plant came in on some live rock. It grew so fast you wouldn't believe it. Every day I had to try and pull out as much as I could by hand without tearing the entire tank apart and by the same time the next day there it was again. You just wouldn't believe how fast it grew. I knew this would be a problem when going on vacation as I feared it would smother my corals and kill some of them from lack of light so I did my best to get rid of this damn weed. I had an incredible electric blue clam in the front of the tank away from the live rock and corals (where the seaweed was growing out of) and I thought it would be far enough from the live rock that it should be safe for the week away. Unfortunately I was wrong and this seaweed grew so fast it smothered nearly the entire tank, including covering up my clam. This killed the clam which poisoned the entire tank and I lost just about everything. Years and years of healthy, growing corals, an anemone, conchs, etc. At this point I gave up; I salvaged what few corals managed to survive and gave them to one of my local fish stores. The only two surviving fish, a maroon clown and a yellow tang went into my 120 gallon fish only tank which I also no longer have after I threw in the towel from a years-long battle with ich.

I miss having my two saltwater tanks, but I've sworn off salt water fish tanks (especially large ones) as doing water changes and cleaning up the salt deposits from evaporation is just too much work. Plus, saltwater ich is just too hard to get rid of.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 am

drfish wrote:
I haven't had an aquarium since we moved about 4.5 years ago. I've had the itch for awhile though and finally did something about it last week by cleaning up a tiny tank that we grew out some tadpoles in last spring. I outfitted it with some local beach sand, a couple rocks I saved from one of my old tanks, and some java moss delivered via Amazon Prime.

I added the first inhabitants to it a few hours ago, two cherry red shrimp and four ghost shrimp. I'm pretty happy with it so far, even though it's incredibly basic. I think I'll probably add a female betta to it in a couple weeks and call it fully stocked at that point. Time will tell if I want to go all in and setup a larger tank, but it's nice to finally dip my toe back into the hobby that inspired my handle more than 20 years ago. Although, at this point I guess I only qualify as drshrimp. :-?

BTW, Mr Bill, how's your tank coming along?

We've had the 200 up and running for a while now and have started adding fish.

We have the two surviving dwarf plecos and australian rainbow and have added: two dojos, 7 chinese algae eaters, 7 clown loaches, and 8 rainbows. Have not put in any rocks or plants yet. The rainbows move around in a very loose cluster with the large australian ranbow. The clown loaches zoom in a straight line all at once across the tank and the algae eaters follow them which is pretty droll. One of the dojos is about 6 inches long brought back to the store by some previous owner. The little dojo likes to cuddle with him on top of the drain inlet.

I'm feeding Spirulina 20 flake food. We are not going to put in brichardi this time. They breed too prolifically. But eventually we will introduce some dwarf africans.

That fiberous green algae is showing up again. It apparently started growing from the bits of wood that were in the gravel which I did not bother to wash other than netting out all the floating bits as I added them to the tank. So, I've decided to do 20% water changes weekly. I need to find a host site for pics and then I will post some.
Last edited by Mr Bill on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 am

I saw freshwater clams at the store and went hmmmm. Also there are freshwater moss's that exist and I was thinking of trying some of those critters to make a more complex ecosystem.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am

Don't you hate it when you accidentally quote yourself when you edit?

The Egg

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:35 am

Mr Bill wrote:
Had a pretty good looking tank until I added some floating plants from a local nursery. Something came in on the plants and I lost all but 3 fish to a disease that resembled dropsy.....
....I lost 6 loaches, 6 calvus, 6 lelupi, 30 julidiochromis (6 adults), 6 austrailian rainbows, and close to 100 brichardi (3 breeding pairs 20 adults and too many fry to count).

That's awful. I wonder....is it possible to grow aquarium plants from seed?

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:56 pm

drfish, is javamoss pretty good a sucking up nutrients faster than algae can grow? At crushed aragonite pH, most aquarium plants get algae covered faster than they can grow.

Also, this is a used tank and previous owner scratched the front pretty dramatically on the inside. Sure would be nice to know if there is a way de-emphasize those scratches.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
drfish, is javamoss pretty good a sucking up nutrients faster than algae can grow? At crushed aragonite pH, most aquarium plants get algae covered faster than they can grow.

I've heard that it is, but I don't have a lot of experience with planted tanks (I was rocks, sand, and Tanganyikans all the way). I was only just getting started with plants when I started winding down my tank craziness at our old house. We'll see how the moss/algae battle goes in my shrimp tank (light are on an 8-hour timer, but the tank does get some indirect sunlight). Since this is my first tank in this house, I'm just coming to terms with my tap water chemistry.

I picked up a metal stand for a 55 gallon tank, couldn't resist the sale. I'm not ready to setup a "real" tank yet, but I'm looking into my options. I actually like the idea of a 33 long more than a 55 gallon, got to see if my LFS can order one for me. I'm torn, I really wanted to do a tank with a big school of corydoras habrosus as the primary attraction, but the allure of cichlids is calling me...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 am

drfish wrote:
I'm torn, I really wanted to do a tank with a big school of corydoras habrosus as the primary attraction, but the allure of cichlids is calling me...

Do it! I love, love Cory's. I think I had upwards of 20 in 120g at one point. Right now I'm down to ~6 albino's.
Also, resist the Cichlid siren song. They're pretty, but not worth it. They'll kill and plants any don't play well with others.

liquidsquid

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:41 am

I still have my 110gal tall running strong, it is a great addition to the living room in the middle of winter.
I have it balanced very nicely, so I am not doing ANYTHING to it but changing water and scraping off algae on occasion. Fish are thriving. I bought 10 neons about 8 months ago. I still have 10 neons. That is nothing short of a miracle for me. Right now it is a mix of rainbows, tetras, a lone horny guppy, a pleco, and some ancient loaches (9 years now?).

The big "aquarium" is coming back to life, though I lost a lot of big fish this winter because I didn't get to plow off the snow. Frankly after a few close calls trying to open up the pond for skating, I just didn't feel like it. Now I have an algae bloom that I am hoping the tadpoles will fix for me when the time comes.