Had a pretty good looking tank until I added some floating plants from a local nursery. Something came in on the plants and I lost all but 3 fish to a disease that resembled dropsy. Did not realize UV tube was not working. It was only a couple months old and made light but was not making UV light. one filament was touching the wall of the tube so it was lighting but not making UV. Should not have gone with aftermarket UV tube instead of Aqua-UV OEM.
I lost 6 loaches, 6 calvus, 6 lelupi, 30 julidiochromis (6 adults), 6 austrailian rainbows, and close to 100 brichardi (3 breeding pairs 20 adults and too many fry to count).
I bleached the heck out of the tank and system, followed by vinegar, then bleach again, and finally a restart.
Not going to put brichardi in the new setup. They breed to darned fast.
I've had the survivors in the tank for a couple weeks now. 2 dwarf plecos and 1 Australian rainbow.
I upgraded the pump from a Panworld 100PX
to a Panworld 250PS
. Also, ditched the fluidized bed and went with a full 3 x (17" x 23")' undergravel filter. I set them on three 6' x 1/2" pvc pipe to make it a continuous set. Still running the water through a 4' x 4" pumice bed (hopefully for nitrate reduction) and a 15W Aqua UV sterilizer. New UV tube should arrive today.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro