Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Fish hobbyist thread (aquariums and tanks - not the sport)

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:07 am

Ah, I will post some pictures soon of my latest fish adventure. Let's say its not a full sized 1/2 acre pond, but the garden pond is getting a re-vamp!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 am

Awesome. I re-did the filter on my ~700g yesterday. I'm hoping that 4" of loose filter foam will clean up the green quickly.

nathanb
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:58 am

drfish wrote:
More pics to come, but I took delivery of my main attraction today, eight checkerboard cichlids (wild caught, no less).

All eight are happy and healthy so far. They are fun little guys to watch. I am just digging this tannin tank thing.

Nice! 2 pairs of zebra cichlids gave birth in my fish tank around half a decade ago now. :D

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:36 pm

I finally got my pond cleaned out yesterday. The fish don’t know what to do being able to see. I’ll post some pictures.

liquidsquid

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Finally putting a large pond liner to use:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KQAwb6mzwq3bRFHj6

A lot of shoveling! More pics to come. The plan is to host our amphibian friends and small native fish.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:13 am

Nice!

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am

I finished taping off my tank with "FROGTAPE" "delicate surface" painters tape last night. The tape package claims "60-Day Clean Removal/Low Adhesion". You can even accidentally stick it to itself and still peel it apart easily. The glass is half an inch thick and I tried to position the tape about half an inch from the join on each side. The original bead was perhaps 1/2" inch wide. So I felt I had built it enough overkill. I had my wife as a spotter to help me position the tape. Its hard to stand on a step ladder and bend into the tank to lay down the tape. You can't bend over far enough to see the distance for the horizontal gap on the bottom of the sides while holding your arms apart to lay the tape. :D

I used 4 large 10.3 oz tubes of Aqueon Aquarium Sealant to lay the bead. I smoothed it with a 45 degree bend of 1.5" ID PVC fitting. I should have taken a picture but I was in such a hurry to pull off the tape before it set that I forgot to do it. :P I have to say, this Aqueon brand off gasses far less acetic acid than the Marineland brand. When I did this for my 55 gallon the fumes were so fierce it was hard to reach into the tank and remove the tape. I was afraid my 200 gallon tank would be like a killing jar. But, this Aqueon brand barely made fumes and my negative pressure setup for removing fumes is almost overkill. I hope the relative lack of fumes is not a bad sign. Its a huge pain to tape off a tank this size while standing on a ladder or desk beside it. The desk top, being level with the bottom of the tank, was better for standing on than the top of the step stool ladder which topped out about 6" below the bottom of the tank.

Its messy and drippy trying to pull off 6 foot lengths of tape covered with silicone sealant. I gave into temptation and tried to smooth a few places that did not seem good and just goo'ed it up. DOH! :P

Update: I called Aqueon directly and their tech support said that as long as the silicone was still fluid when it comes out of the tube; it would cure to full strength. This morning it was pretty stiff but you can tell its still not quite cured. Will probably wait till Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon to fill with water.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Filled the tank up Sunday afternoon and ran the pump for a few hours and no leaks! Bonus was that when I turned on the pump, the two missing fish from tank leaking popped up from the return flow port. So, they were not stuck somewhere in the filtration system, big bonus. After a few hours, drained tank and put in undergravel filter. Dumped on rinsed gravel and got it mostly arranged. Then refilled with water.

I overlapped the three filters by laying three 6 foot 1/2 inch PVC pipes the length of the tank. There are three undergravel filter plates. I put one at each end of the tank and laid the third one across the middle. This makes the combination act as a unified single undergravel plate. I put a couple small powerheads at one end and capped off all the other ports. The water cleared up pretty well overnight. Gravel is crushed coral so it takes a while for all that lime powder to settle into the gravel.

Note: I should have put something under that middle plate to support the span. I will just have to not put much rock in the middle section of the tank.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:55 pm

My surprise BBQ gift is coming along nicely...

I'm going to harvest more pothos vines from our "mother plant" after I've confirm that the large one I have hanging from the stick in the middle takes off ok. I've never started one from more than a small vine with a couple leaves. The aquatic plants I just got today from Amazon. Pretty cool stuff, and happy with what I got.

The water lettuce is insane. I have to throw out a bunch of it every couple days because it grows and spreads so fast. I only let the smallest plants stay in the tank. :o

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Vivid! What critters are planned?

liquidsquid

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:16 pm

That really is pretty cool! Nice job!

Early progress with my "helper" who is 13, and only really helped raise my blood pressure.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/p1jrjoyibiHp1Eq99

Finished product:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2zffnmhLNpYTCwCQ7

I created an under-gravel filter to help keep the much down (pulls O2 through the bottom layers) and so far it works better than hoped! Keeps the water nice and clear.

I should note that at the beginning, a neighbor came along an graciously help rough-cut the starting hole. All those piles of dirt and remaining progress were dealt with by hand, since the wife's job situation didn't turn out as hoped. Burned a lot of calories this summer!

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 am

meerkt wrote:
Vivid! What critters are planned?

Well, on Saturday I got four black mollies to put in there (they are my wife's favorite fish). One male lyretail and and normal three females. They get the tank for themselves for about a month, then I'll be trying to bring home a baby musk turtle from the NARBC show in Tinley Park, IL on 10/12. Failing that, I'll order one online. My wife has been warned that future-Elon (what else could I name him?) may try to eat the mollies, but I'm counting on the molly babies being at least part of his diet, heh.

For now, I'm just planning on filling the top half with more plants, mostly pothos since it can root right into the water. I may try to add an arboreal animal, but I'm not sure yet. I like the idea of an anole, but I don't think it's a good idea to ask them to life above water, even if i added shelves to the walls and stuff. Maybe a tree frog instead. We'll see...

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 am

Yeah, with all that height I thought: amphibians.

drfish wrote:
may try to eat the mollies, but I'm counting on the molly babies being at least part of his diet, heh.

Ah, the good ol' food chain. Would be interesting if you could make it a self-sustaining ecosystem (the web hints it might be a thing?).