Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: dymt reloaded

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
But why is the one intended for the muni return designated as a second copy of #2 (instead of #3)? :lol:

Well, if you e-file it really doesn't matter.

[/ducks]
Exactly what I was thinking. Who doesn't e-file these days?
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I suspect we'll find out why at about the same time we find out how many licks it really takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop (and no, it's not 3).
It can be over 600. (I was a very patient child.)
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:11 am

Comcast guys are going door-to-door again. 4th time they've knocked on my door in the last 14 months since we dropped them. Told them if I wanted their services I'd have called by now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:29 am

Do no soliciting signs work on those guys? We're getting Suddenlink people trying to convince us to upgrade to cable TV (we have them for internet). It's like...no, I am not paying 55 bucks a month for crappy TV, SO QUIT IT.

I'm debating waiting until the next time I see one our street, going to grab my biggest damn python, and just waiting in the living room with it....see if that scares themo ff for good.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:17 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm debating waiting until the next time I see one our street, going to grab my biggest damn python, and just waiting in the living room with it....see if that scares themo ff for good.

The Jehovah's Witnesses haven't been back since I answered the door wearing nothing but a bath towel. If you've seen my pics in BBQ write-ups, you'll know that that takes one very large towel.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Do no soliciting signs work on those guys? We're getting Suddenlink people trying to convince us to upgrade to cable TV (we have them for internet). It's like...no, I am not paying 55 bucks a month for crappy TV, SO QUIT IT.

No idea, but I always thought "no soliciting" signs looked tacky.

The last time a Jehovah's Witness knocked on my parents' door (at least, in the time that I lived with my parents), my dad let the dog out the back door while my mom was at the front door. Dog came tearing around the house. She was very friendly and just wanted to be petted, but it freaked out the JW so bad he ran screaming from the yard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

I will be there opening night.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Vrock wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Shot on film, script by Lawrence Kasdan, and more emphasis on physical effects over CGI has me cautiously optimistic.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Vrock wrote:

The Stormtrooper with the gunmetal armor and cloak looks badass.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:46 pm

That trailer gave me a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge boner.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Shot on film, script by Lawrence Kasdan, and more emphasis on physical effects over CGI has me cautiously optimistic.
Then again, it *is* J.J. Abrams, and we all saw what he did to the Star Trek movies. All flash and no characters worth caring about. I cared more about Nero than I did Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:19 pm

I actually kinda liked the Star Trek movies. Lots of flash, sure, but I found them entertaining at least. That's more than I can say for SW 1-3

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm going to try to get the in laws to take the kids so the wife and I can go find a movie to watch the trailer at next weekend.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I actually kinda liked the Star Trek movies. Lots of flash, sure, but I found them entertaining at least. That's more than I can say for SW 1-3

They were enjoyable but forgettable sci-fi action movies. What they weren't, was Star Trek.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:27 pm

So....my youngest has eczema. Annoying, and I was miffed at the diagnoses.

Today a friend of mine found out his son has Duchenne MD and is probably terminal. There's something to keep it in perspective.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Vrock wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

They were enjoyable but forgettable sci-fi action movies. What they weren't, was Star Trek.

Heh, something we can agree on for a change! :lol:

paulWTAMU wrote:
So....my youngest has eczema. Annoying, and I was miffed at the diagnoses.

Been living with it my entire life. Yes, quite annoying! People who haven't experienced it first hand tend to say stuff like, "Just don't scratch and it'll go away!" Please don't be that person; for an eczema sufferer hearing that is almost as infuriating as the itching itself!

paulWTAMU wrote:
Today a friend of mine found out his son has Duchenne MD and is probably terminal. There's something to keep it in perspective.

That seriously sucks. My condolences to your friend.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Vrock wrote:

I looked at it kinda like this (and yes, I remembered that you wrote that and went digging. :p)

And, just like the original Transformers, not doing Star Trek line-by-line of TOS is a good thing. I'm watching it on Netflix now and it's good but not as good as I remember.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Vrock wrote:
I looked at it kinda like this (and yes, I remembered that you wrote that and went digging. :p)

And, just like the original Transformers, not doing Star Trek line-by-line of TOS is a good thing. I'm watching it on Netflix now and it's good but not as good as I remember.

I'm somewhat hoping that now with Nimoy's passing and the loss of their deus ex machina they'll actually try to put together a character story. It doesn't need to be the same as TOS, but it does need to show how the Big 3 plus Scotty learn how to work with each other while avoiding lens-flare blindness.

My real fear is that with Nimoy gone they'll find a way to haul Shatner's fat ass back into it somehow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
My real fear is that with Nimoy gone they'll find a way to haul Shatner's fat ass back into it somehow.

It could work, if they take a "comic relief" angle. Shatner would never agree to that though!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Shatner would never agree to that though!

Nah, the required vanity corset would strangle him anyways.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:04 am

I doubt it.

Prime Kirk "died" back in Generations when the bridge fell on him. ;)
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 am

Cap'n, you are much more optimistic than I am.

The first one wasn't actually bad IMO (not great but not bad, and it's not like the first original movie was great). The second though....ew. Just really, really, bad trek.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:27 am

Krogoth wrote:
I doubt it.

Prime Kirk "died" back in Generations when the bridge fell on him. ;)

Bridge on the Captain!
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 7 2700X | RX 5700 XT | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:52 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
and it's not like the first original movie was great

Oh, thems fightin' words. 8)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:14 am

I watched the original Star Trek movie a month or so back, and it was pretty bad. Could have done without all the shuttling around in circles around the ship. 2 and 3 were really good but my favorite is 4.

And let's remember that the new Star Trek movies *aren't* Star Trek, and they make a point of shouting it during the first one. The moment Nero went through the portal, history was altered. And the only thing I don't like about the new timeline is Spock and Uhura getting all makey-outey.

I don't think we have to worry about Shatner. Like Krogoth pointed out, his life ended. Though I guess he spent a lot of time chopping firewood on the Nexus, so maybe they could grab a Nexus-era Kirk out of it. Still, Nimoy's Spock was an important part of explaining why things are so different now, and Kirk would be less integral.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:37 am

Captain Ned wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:
and it's not like the first original movie was great

Oh, thems fightin' words. 8)

The first original movie was great. It was actual Trek. They were exploring the unknown instead of just blowing stuff up. Making contact with a new lifeforms. The Big Three all relied on each other. ST: The Motion Picture was pure to the theme of the original series, and has only gotten better with age IMO. The DVD director's cut addressed some editing and fx problems. Hoping they do the same for Blu ray at some point, but the theatrical is still a good Trek film.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:47 am

Ugh. I thought West Texas Paul was responding to a Star Wars post, not a Star Trek post, hence my "fighting words" comment WRT to Movie #1.

Important safety tip. Do not merge the streams.

ST:TMP is still one of the better attempts at TOS-era movie Trek.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 am

The main issue I had with the first Trek movie was that they took roughly a TV episode's worth of plot, and padded it out with filler to extend it to feature film length.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
The main issue I had with the first Trek movie was that they took roughly a TV episode's worth of plot, and padded it out with filler to extend it to feature film length.

Oh, don't go all Jackson Roykirk on us. 8)