Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:07 pm

It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I think I was slightly allergic to something though; my lips are itching.
Generous amounts of hot saki and wasabi kill everything not killed by not cooking things, or at least renders them harmless while making you not care, or at the very least gives you more immediate things to think about until the itching stops. :wink:

Slightly more seriously, I'm slightly allergic to lobster and chocolate - both make me itchy, but not anywhere near itchy enough to avoid them, given how good they taste.
Drink an extra glass/mug/stein or red plastic 16oz. cup of some beverage of your choice and wait a few hours. You're probably just not used to the extra the iodine + niacin dose.

Edit: IANAD, YMMV.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:17 pm

It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:38 pm

biffzinker wrote:

Oh, sure, I just bought a PS4 in January. Of course there's an upgrade right around the corner.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:49 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
biffzinker wrote:

Oh, sure, I just bought a PS4 in January. Of course there's an upgrade right around the corner.

Only a rumor unless Sony says otherwise, and a legitimate reason to complain. :wink:

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:06 pm

<<=== Look what I just renewed!

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Consider me a "Gold Subscriber" in a few days.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:48 pm

What do I need to say/do to stop the "Windows Technical Security" calls (and if you come back with the Do Not Call list, I shall ignore you)? I swear at them in the worst bits of the English/Scottish language my inner sailor can gin up, knowing that the Indian on the other side of the phone will be deeply & personally offended when I'm done, but that doesn't work. Hell, I've even promised that I'll show them the soles of my bare feet if they keep calling. Next stop is an air-horn blast straight into the receiver. Need to find my lawn-mowing ear muffs before doing that, though.

EDIT: I need to dig out my college-era copy of the Bhagavad Gita and find the passages on truth & honesty to one's self & soul. Hitting them with Hindu theology might get them to stop.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Yeah, airhorns are good. Or a dog barking into the phone (every single time, until they give up), if you have one. Or "I Like Turtles" - keep responding with that until they give up. Or hand the phone to a toddler. :lol:

Or, waste their time and go along with it, then finally reveal you were on a Mac or something.

The unfortunate thing is my grandma almost got bitten by one of these a few years back - she installed their remote software/malware, but cut them off and called me when they started asking for credit card info and trying to upsell her on cleaning services. I ended up reinstalling XP to make sure her machine was cleaned up. They did call back a few times after that, but she told them to f*** off and that was the end of it. Never had the luck (?) of getting one of these calls myself.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:26 pm

All I've been doing is looking up the number then adding the phone number to the block list on my smartphone.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

biffzinker wrote:
All I've been doing is looking up the number then adding the phone number to the block list on my smartphone.

Fairpoint (ex-Verizon) landline. Yes, I still have a copper landline. I always will. Get off my lawn. 8)

localhostrulez

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Yes, I still have a copper landline. I always will.

Yeah, until the lines deteriorate, and they get progressively worse at fixing anything. This happened to my parents with their AT&T landline - *3 weeks* of downtime after a minor rain storm.

And it's a shame, because there's nothing more idiot proof than a traditional landline (from the user's perspective). No having to reboot it because it glitched, or any of that nonsense.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
What do I need to say/do to stop the "Windows Technical Security" calls
I tarpit the bums. They called for the third time about 6 months ago when I was "in a mood", with nothing in particular that I wanted/had to do at the moment, so I tortured them mercilessly for as long as I could actually keep them on the phone. I kept questioning what they wanted me to, while feigning innocence and asking for detailed explanations. I got to "level 5" by my count, as their accents became increasingly thicker. Went all the way to their web site's credit card entry page. Eventually, I unloaded on level 5, explaining how he and all his cohorts were criminals that were all going straight to jail and/or hell. Based on his response, it seemed I struck a nerve.

That kept them away until about 2 weeks ago when they called again. I just told them they must be mistaken because I no longer run Windows because Windows sucks, especially Windows 10, and because idiots like him continually try to scam me.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Yes, I still have a copper landline. I always will.

Yeah, until the lines deteriorate, and they get progressively worse at fixing anything. This happened to my parents with their AT&T landline - *3 weeks* of downtime after a minor rain storm.

And it's a shame, because there's nothing more idiot proof than a traditional landline (from the user's perspective). No having to reboot it because it glitched, or any of that nonsense.

Which is why I'm somewhat perversely happy that Verizon sold its landline business to Fairpoint Communications about 5 years ago (at least). Fairpoint isn't old Ma Bell, so they actually have to listen to State utilities regulators and maintain the wireline franchise, as it's their only source of revenue here in VT.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Yes, I still have a copper landline. I always will. Get off my lawn. 8)
Verizon took away my choice after my line last went out, so I took away their "customer", i.e., me. I moved to Vonage until they started raising their prices. Now, I'm on Ooma, which costs me $3.94/mo (all of that is required NYS taxes/fees, so not their fault), and saved a ton of money in the process (especially on international calls).

My problem is the laws for "copper" lines are different from the laws for VoIP lines, but that's a matter for other fora in other areas.

localhostrulez

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Well, I finally sold that Onkyo receiver, since I never use it. A few party/frat-types bought it, and brought over some huge Radioshack 40-215 speakers to test. They turned it up loud and blasted bass (which rumbled the room quite well), obviously not looking for fidelity (which that receiver kinda sucks at - it overprocesses the audio, for one). :lol:

Now, off to spend the money on one of those nicer T-amps I was eyeing. ;) (And to reconfirm to myself why I'm not in a frat. :lol:)

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:57 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
biffzinker wrote:

Fairpoint (ex-Verizon) landline. Yes, I still have a copper landline. I always will. Get off my lawn. 8)

Well my Mom wanted to hang on to the landline she use to have for faxing purposes.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:02 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Well my Mom wanted to hang on to the landline she use to have for faxing purposes.

At the rate power and Comcast vent their bowels every winter up here in VT, I'd never be without a landline.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Microsoft announced today that it is ending production of its last-generation console.

He also shared a few stats about Xbox 360 usage that may be of interest:
Over 78 billion gaming hours played
Nearly 486 billion Gamerscore
27 billion achievements
Over 25 billion hours spent in apps

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:02 pm

Powered up my Mac Mini for the first time since January. It wanted to update OS/X El Capitan. Sure why not. "The update could not be installed.". Reboot. Bong. Crossed out gray circle on gray background (is that the new sad face? My face sure wasn't happy.). Nothing's bootable. Choice of restoring from Time Machine or reinstalling. Poke around with Disk Utility, both disks pass First Aid, but can't make any bootable.

Nothing I care about. Oh, and "Better Touch Tool", after a forced update, went non-free. Now there's really nothing I care about on the box. Without BTT, I don't even like using the TouchPad all that much (and besides, it makes my wrist ache after an hour or so).

But now, I'm thinking I should just (try to) install Linux on it. Ubuntu/Mate 16.04 LTS is pretty sweet, even in Beta (until tomorrow).

Any experience with Linux on a Mac Mini?

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:56 am

MarkG509 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42526&p=1273817#p1273825
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:04 am

DrDominodog51 wrote:
MarkG509 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42526&p=1273817#p1273825

Thanks. I did the reinstall thing, so it's back up running OS/X 10.11.4. Much of my stuff was still there, though none of the programs worked, so reinstalled a few I needed. But, it reminded me why I haven't booted it since January. The only place I actually like any more is Linux, especially if running MATE.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:05 pm

God damn it...if Prince is dead, I'm going to be pissed. 2016 can suck a fat one.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Dizik wrote:
God damn it...if Prince is dead, I'm going to be pissed. 2016 can suck a fat one.

Confirmed by the AP (via Prince's publicist): http://bigstory.ap.org/b9e3df0421a04344835cd4fac7680c24
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mattshwink
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:56 pm

MarkG509 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
What do I need to say/do to stop the "Windows Technical Security" calls
I tarpit the bums. They called for the third time about 6 months ago when I was "in a mood", with nothing in particular that I wanted/had to do at the moment, so I tortured them mercilessly for as long as I could actually keep them on the phone. I kept questioning what they wanted me to, while feigning innocence and asking for detailed explanations. I got to "level 5" by my count, as their accents became increasingly thicker. Went all the way to their web site's credit card entry page. Eventually, I unloaded on level 5, explaining how he and all his cohorts were criminals that were all going straight to jail and/or hell. Based on his response, it seemed I struck a nerve.

That kept them away until about 2 weeks ago when they called again. I just told them they must be mistaken because I no longer run Windows because Windows sucks, especially Windows 10, and because idiots like him continually try to scam me.

I have a friend that posts videos of his interactions with them....he has a lot of fun with it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HGBeM1 ... eK1pM0pMmy

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:38 pm

My son has gotten a few of the "Windows Support" scammer calls; on at least a couple of occasions he's managed to string them along for long enough that they get pissed off and start swearing at him when they realize they've been "had".

Not sure what I'd do if I got one. Probably just hang up. It might be fun to play dumb though. "Windows? Yeah my screen has some windows on it." and "I don't see a Start button, but I see a button with a gear and a letter "K" on it... will that do?" (KDE's equivalent of the Start button).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 pm

my time's honestly worth more than that. I might just shout at them real loud before I hang up though
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

localhostrulez

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 pm

mattshwink wrote:
I have a friend that posts videos of his interactions with them....he has a lot of fun with it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HGBeM1 ... eK1pM0pMmy

Wait, you know him? I don't know how I could keep my composure that long (but that was gold). :lol:

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:23 am

How would you pronounce GIF? (without looking up the proper pronunciation) Apparently it is one of eleven common mispronounced words.

Redocbew

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 am

I pronounce it like the peanut butter, and say jiff. I've heard plenty of people call them animated gifs instead though. Since it was originally an acronym, like JPEG and MPEG, I guess you could make a case for GIF being more accurate, but meh... now they're interchangeable.

Come to think of it I don't remember the last time I used a gif instead of a png or jpg.
Last edited by Redocbew on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.