Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

icoltsfan94
Gerbil

Re: dymt reloaded

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm

An entire day lapse in dymt? Unheard of. Suppose its as good a time as any to join in. Maybe I'll attempt to read it all........... :o

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Yay...I have no idea what to get the wife for Christmas.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Dizik wrote:

Didn't you move to Austin? Get some delicious local food and cook her something. At least that'll take care of part of it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Didn't you move to Austin? Get some delicious local food and cook her something. At least that'll take care of part of it.
I had to move back to Oklahoma since we couldn't sell our house.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Dizik wrote:

Books.

My parents kept asking me what I wanted for Christmas, and I couldn't think of anything. Then I finally remembered that books are pretty great gifts because they're actually something you can gift, and it's something people don't think about often enough.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

icoltsfan94
Gerbil

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 pm

superjawes wrote:
Dizik wrote:

Books.

My parents kept asking me what I wanted for Christmas, and I couldn't think of anything. Then I finally remembered that books are pretty great gifts because they're actually something you can gift, and it's something people don't think about often enough.

Books are a wonderful and sadly often overlooked gift. I received Steve Job's Biography for Christmas last year and it was one of my favorite (and most used) gifts. :)

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 am

The wife doesn't read much, so books would be a waste of money.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good team trivia board game? I guess it doesn't have to be team, since we can just make teams instead of all playing individually, but the team aspect is something we like.

Just for reference, everyone playing is a college grad. Philosophy, Biology, Psychology, Graphic Design, Law, Physics, and a few more. Only reason I say that is because we'd like something that is at least a little challenging. Doesn't have to be off the wall hard, but none of those "family" games will work that well most likely.

Help!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:31 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good team trivia board game? I guess it doesn't have to be team, since we can just make teams instead of all playing individually, but the team aspect is something we like.

Just for reference, everyone playing is a college grad. Philosophy, Biology, Psychology, Graphic Design, Law, Physics, and a few more. Only reason I say that is because we'd like something that is at least a little challenging. Doesn't have to be off the wall hard, but none of those "family" games will work that well most likely.

Check out Bezzerwizzer, I've played it a few times among a group of mixed professionals with a long history in strategy gaming, and I think it meets your requirements. Question difficulty varies, but some will definitely have you scratching for a while. The removal of the usual "luck of the dice" and addition of a strategy element using round-based gameplay with the action tiles throws a novel twist into the gameplay dynamic.

Thirty bucks at Target, or $15 at Amazon.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Depends how strict your definition of "Trivia Game" is. I would highly recommend "Wits and Wagers." The great thing about Wits and Wagers is that players who aren't great at trivia still have a decent shot.

Basically, you answer trivia questions, which have a numerical answer. You write down your answer on a card, which is then placed in ascending order with other answers on a mat. Players then wager on which of the answers is the correct answer with different answers having a higher payoff if they're farther from median.

It's a great party game and a good trivia game. It won a ton of awards when it came out a few years ago. Check it out.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks guys!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:53 pm

I hate going to an unfamiliar grocery store with a very long SWMBO list on a holiday shopping weekend.

That is all.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Why do spam threads that got removed still show up in the "hot topics" link on the main page?
Also, spammers need to die.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Why do spam threads that got removed still show up in the "hot topics" link on the main page?
Also, spammers need to die.

Browser cache.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 pm

so I'm running a pretty good fever and flipping between football games while I come upon Telemundo. Is it the fever or is Telemundo just....weird? Very weird.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:34 pm

It's weird.

You seem to get sick a lot. I'm sure the schedule of having a young baby doesn't help, but it still seems you get sick quite a bit.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I have really wicked allergies and it can go from stuffy and sneezy to actually sick pretty quick :X I wanted to get the shot treatments but my insurance doesn't cover them....and at several shots a week, 70 bucks a shot for the first couple months, it just ain't happening.

edit: either I got Sam sick or he got me sick :( Poor kiddo is unwell.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 am

'tis the season. I've had a virus playing pinball through my body ever since Thanksgiving.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 am

The variations on people's immune systems is so weird. I have a friend that gets sick ALL the time. I get sick MAYBE once a year. I take precautions during times of general higher frequency of sickness, but it really is staggering how often some people get sick. I don't think i've had a "cold" for been "sick" for about three years now.

superjawes

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Interesting for sure. Personally, I used to get strep throat at least once a year as a child (very glad THAT'S over with).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I hate going to an unfamiliar grocery store with a very long SWMBO list on a holiday shopping weekend.

That is all.

Single White-Man Body Odor?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 pm

she who must be obeyed.

But I like yours better!

I have to shop for my wife yet, too, which is an exercise in frustration. She never wants anything.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
she who must be obeyed.

But I like yours better!

I have to shop for my wife yet, too, which is an exercise in frustration. She never wants anything.

I basically have the same situation here, but I paid attention. She's been having problems with her keyboard, so I picked up a mechanical one for her (I figure if I spend the money and she doesn't like it, less of a loss for her). And if you saw my earlier suggestion, I got her a book. She asked for the Alton Brown "Good Eats" cookbooks a couple years ago, so when I found the third one I knew it would be a good choice.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm

The variations on people's immune systems is so weird. I have a friend that gets sick ALL the time. I get sick MAYBE once a year. I take precautions during times of general higher frequency of sickness, but it really is staggering how often some people get sick. I don't think i've had a "cold" for been "sick" for about three years now.

That's how I used to be, but the last couple of years, not so much :evil: Makes me mad. It got better when I lost weight, but it's gotten bad again (and I haven't regained the weight either).

Derfunk, I'm in the same boat. I have to get my wife something and I Have no clue wth I should do. She doesn't want more jewelry, she's trying to lose baby weight so junk food is out, her taste in books is unpredictable and I've NEVER been able to get her clothes worth a damn.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
That's how I used to be, but the last couple of years, not so much :evil: Makes me mad. It got better when I lost weight, but it's gotten bad again (and I haven't regained the weight either).

Start with a humidifier, if you haven't already. I have to use one from about September through April, when the humidity here tends to drop into the single digits for extended periods. If I don't, then my sinuses slowly clog during the night, then I mouthbreathe, and that vastly reduces the quality of sleep.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

ludi wrote:
Start with a humidifier, if you haven't already. I have to use one from about September through April, when the humidity here tends to drop into the single digits for extended periods. If I don't, then my sinuses slowly clog during the night, then I mouthbreathe, and that vastly reduces the quality of sleep.

+1.

Paul since you live in west Texas this is probably a good idea.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I have really wicked allergies and it can go from stuffy and sneezy to actually sick pretty quick :X I wanted to get the shot treatments but my insurance doesn't cover them....and at several shots a week, 70 bucks a shot for the first couple months, it just ain't happening.

edit: either I got Sam sick or he got me sick :( Poor kiddo is unwell.

Man shots are the way to go. I didnt have allergies when I was growing up. It wasnt till my late 20's that they developed. I dont know what it was but they came and were strong. I was allergic to 2 different types of trees and Grass of all things, All grass. Living in the south and having mild winters did nothing to help. (I had like a 6 week window from Jan to mid Feb when nobody cut their grass) I developed a resistance to Allegra, Zyrtec, and Claritin; they did nothing to help. The only allergy med that worked for my was prescription Xyzal but it made me feel loopy.

So I started the shots regimen and three years later I have little to no symptoms from the allergens. I get the occasional sniffle or it but nothing Benedryl can handle. I feel for you.

If an when you can get the shots covered by insurance I HIGHLY recommend them.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 pm

any advice on really good humidifiers?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
she who must be obeyed.

But I like yours better!

My SO that I live with (and I don't think frequents these boards) is getting a lot of Yoga related fitness stuff she wanted. I have a sneaking suspicion she got me the dip-belt I wanted.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
any advice on really good humidifiers?

I usually buy one of the nicer off-the-shelf model at Bed Bath & Beyond, it lasts about 3 years and then I buy another. I have to use a hot steam type, the ultrasonics made my room feel like a musty cellar.